CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

That's not because of the variety of armor sets in H4, that's because of 343's design philosophy. Halo 3 and Reach had more options and that armor is more distinct than what we have in H4/H5. In H3/Reach, I could tell which armor pieces someone is wearing from a far distance. 80% of the amor in H5 look the same from mid range.

Bear in mind that H3 had 10 armour sets. H4 had like 50. (Can't remember Reach.) Plus the increased FOV, speed and map size as well as visual clutter like too much shield glow made it near-impossible to recognize body armour (or even helmets) in gameplay. It's still going to be impossible to notice the different armour types in H5 gameplay, but thanks to the intro/outro animations and the lobby, you'll actually have a chance to look at people. With H4, not so much.

Maybe if H5 had only 10 armour sets, more subsection customization might be warranted, but with the amount of sets they have - it's undeniably necessary to consolidate.

I'd also say the H5 armour is about as varied as H3's. Probably moreso, actually, with the extra variables like those new white details on certain body pieces as well as the new arm and leg pieces. There's a H5 equivalent for just about every 'niche' that H3's armour fit into - Athlon is Security's bulkiness plus Scout's smoothness,  Breaker's body armour is instantly recognizable, as is Athlon, Teishin, etc. It's 100x more varied than H4, at least.

The helmet design has improved from H4 as well, but it still has - as always - a few really shitty variants (like that frog-looking one I forget the name of, or ODST which always looked like it had no jaw).

This is a pretty interesting topic.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes, because no game developer in history ever stylized their game to encourage monetary investment. CERTAINLY not the game that 343 ripped directly off for the REQ system.

Your assuming that the basis of my argument is that 343 isn't using Psychological tactics to encourage us to buy their REQ packs. That's exactly NOT what I am saying. I'm debating the fact that it was stated that the pistol was a part of that plan.

At this point in Halo, I'd rather them take out clamber than sprint.

Clamber has taken us from maps like Sanctuary and The Pit to maps like Plaza and The Rig. Clamber is the number one reason all these maps are so chaotic and confusing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Your assuming that the basis of my argument is that 343 isn't using Psychological tactics to encourage us to buy their REQ packs. That's exactly NOT what I am saying. I'm debating the fact that it was stated that the pistol was a part of that plan.

Uh, I don't remember saying anything about psychological pseudoscience, but I fail to see why it's unreasonable to say they made the pistol what it is to contribute to REQ pack purchases yet it is totally understandable to suggest that they added some sinister subliminal mumbo-jumbo to accomplish the exact same goal. In fact, I'm pretty damn sure the latter is far more of a tinfoil theory.

Maps are definitely more designed around clamber than sprint. It's like they went from "let's give a helpful ability to noobs that miss jumps" to "let's make them clamber for EVERYTHING".

• Upvote (+1) 1

My god this is not traditional Halo.

343i, why have you mutated my favorite AAA game into a B level experience?

Because everyone buys their shit games no matter how the game play is, so they never grasped that they completely ruined what made halo halo.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

At this point in Halo, I'd rather them take out clamber than sprint.

Clamber has taken us from maps like Sanctuary and The Pit to maps like Plaza and The Rig. Clamber is the number one reason all these maps are so chaotic and confusing.

Sprint and clamber suck but who's to say that 343i wouldn't have made the maps this bad regardless? I don't get the feeling like I'm playing a Halo game when playing Halo 5 but some weird hybrid game. I guess I can't adapt as well as others.

I now know I'm nowhere near the target demographic for this game.   

I don't understand why people still want BR starts. BR is far too easy to use, it's boring to watch and use. Buff the pistol to a 4SK and leave BRs on map.

Fine. Make the pistol 4sk and your primary. Hated pressing Y off spawn in 2001.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Is there any way of checking your opponents/team mates ranks?  

After the game on the carnage report it will show everyones rank. Cant see it before to avoid people dodging players

• Upvote (+1) 2

After the game on the carnage report it will show everyones rank. Cant see it before to avoid people dodging players

I found it, thank you! 

The Hunters in campaign are so OP compared to the other titles. Hell, I think they're the toughest enemies in the game.

These are positive changes

The Hunters in campaign are so OP compared to the other titles. Hell, I think they're the toughest enemies in the game.

I love the fact they hit away grenades. It's so simple. I don't know how no other Halo game had that

People moaning about pressing the Y button off spawn...

kobe%20bryant%20calls%20dwight%20howard%

I also asked Kobe for permission for this gif to be used. Get your shit together, Beyond.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So I played my very first game of arena. I chose FFA and I got Eden. I went 25-7 with a killing frenzy. Now the reason I got this was because I had 8 rocket kills. So I have a question for any hardcore FFA vets. Are there always power weapons in FFA? It seems more or less unfair due to random spawns.

Also I see exactly what I thought 8 person FFA would look like. Clustered.

The first time I fought them on Legendary they were a joke and took like 2 minutes to kill both. Just throw explosive shit at them and you never need to get close to them.

So I played my very first game of arena. I chose FFA and I got Eden. I went 25-7 with a killing frenzy. Now the reason I got this was because I had 8 rocket kills. So I have a question for any hardcore FFA vets. Are there always power weapons in FFA? It seems more or less unfair due to random spawns.

Also I see exactly what I thought 8 person FFA would look like. Clustered.

Think of what you're playing as Rumble Pit instead of FFA. RP always had whatever was on the map.

Bear in mind that H3 had 10 armour sets. H4 had like 50. (Can't remember Reach.) Plus the increased FOV, speed and map size as well as visual clutter like too much shield glow made it near-impossible to recognize body armour (or even helmets) in gameplay. It's still going to be impossible to notice the different armour types in H5 gameplay, but thanks to the intro/outro animations and the lobby, you'll actually have a chance to look at people. With H4, not so much.

Maybe if H5 had only 10 armour sets, more subsection customization might be warranted, but with the amount of sets they have - it's undeniably necessary to consolidate.

I'd also say the H5 armour is about as varied as H3's. Probably moreso, actually, with the extra variables like those new white details on certain body pieces as well as the new arm and leg pieces. There's a H5 equivalent for just about every 'niche' that H3's armour fit into - Athlon is Security's bulkiness plus Scout's smoothness,  Breaker's body armour is instantly recognizable, as is Athlon, Teishin, etc. It's 100x more varied than H4, at least.

The helmet design has improved from H4 as well, but it still has - as always - a few really shitty variants (like that frog-looking one I forget the name of, or ODST which always looked like it had no jaw).

This is a pretty interesting topic.

It's not that. The armor is too detailed. All of them look like a mash of geometry.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The rig is the worst thing i have ever played.

Adrift > The rig

Remove Rig/ Orion, add Truth.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Think of what you're playing as Rumble Pit instead of FFA. RP always had whatever was on the map.

Ahh gotcha. That must mean the FFA people are pretty upset.

I think there should be Weapons on map and MAYBE Powerups in FFA but I think the Weapon Pads are way too powerful. It's an easy fix to just disable them in the settings so hopefully 343 takes that into consideration.