CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

• So after playing the game for about 5 hours yesterday, I realized I was right about a bunch of stuff and wrong about a bunch of stuff. I still don't see breakout being a very deep competitive game type, and don't feel it's objective will ever produce a great deal of depth. I stand by that statement but I'll admit that I was wrong overall about breakout. It can be a very fast and fun game mode. We searched the breakout playlist for like 12 games and didn't get bored after it.
  • I noticed the aim issue that a lot of other people brought up as well. The cross hair moves as if it's covered in molasses and there's literally nothing I can do about it. It's annoying cause it's a factor that is always there and noticeable throughout the game.
  • I humbly admit I still suck with spartan abilities. I only jumped down from one ledge that was high enough for me to remember that i could ground pound lol. It's still weird to get used to and this game just feels completely foreign to me. I just notice how often I and others are able to completely escape the worst positioning. It's too easy to thrust around a corner and clamber up through a window.
  • I'd like to see a 4 shot pistol.
  • I'm not the biggest fan of any of the maps. I don't flat-out hate them though, although I'd much rather play the map The Rig in Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 instead. Breakout maps are cool. They're simple but have a lot of options to them.
  • one more I'll edit in is that I'm not a fan of the Hyrda now that I've used it. It seems too easy to use.

So all in all, the game was better than what I expected, but there's a weird phenomenon taking place right now. The best way I can explain it is, I still don't LIKE Halo 5, but I'm having a surprising amount of fun with it.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

tl;dr - Haven't touched Halo in ~2 years. Halo 5 is easily the best Halo since Halo 3, out of the box.

Best multiplayer since Halo 3 isn't exactly a lofty title around these parts. lol

• Upvote (+1) 3

• So after playing the game for about 5 hours yesterday, I realized I was right about a bunch of stuff and wrong about a bunch of stuff. I still don't see breakout being a very deep competitive game type, and don't feel it's objective will ever produce a great deal of depth. I stand by that statement but I'll admit that I was wrong overall about breakout. It can be a very fast and fun game mode. We searched the breakout playlist for like 12 games and didn't get bored after it.

I don't think anyone doesn't think Breakout is at least fun. But it's like SWAT, a fun game mode but it shouldn't be played competitively.

Best multiplayer since Halo 3 isn't exactly a lofty title around these parts. lol

From a purely competitive aspect, I'm not gonna disagree.

I meant that Halo 3 was simply successful. The gap between competitive settings and out-of-the-box settings was, what, a 10% increase to damage, movement, and turn of radar. The gap between Reach and H4 on the other hand was just an entirely different game. I don't see (or at least, hope I don't see) the community attempt to alter much about the game's mechanics.

Edit: I may be wrong but I attribute a lot of the success H3 had in 2008/09 (and failure with Reach and H4) with the fact that MLG settings were so recognizable to the base game that it attracted new people to come and play, or watch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I still cant get over the fact that im playing forge maps on day one. Not only that but they are ATROCIOUS. It just feels wrong and cheap.

• Upvote (+1) 6

For anyone reading this who hasn't bought the game, who came here looking for an opinion of multiplayer before making the purchase... if that's the most this community is upset with - additional animations and an unfamiliar aim control - then the decision to play this game should be clear.

There's a little more to it than that.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Ranks in Arena shouldn't ride on Breakout. That's my only problem with it. I don't mind it as a gametype for casual play, but don't make me play it when I don't want to.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't think anyone doesn't think Breakout is at least fun. But it's like SWAT, a fun game mode but it shouldn't be played competitively.

Similar and different, I've never played a single game of SWAT that felt like the matches of breakout I played last night. I mean before I played it I already wrote it off as a dumb game mode and I didn't think I was going to like it at all.

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/10754-halo-5-custom-game-options-wishlist/  :D

I mean it could be easier to just tell him initially(then they can look at past Halo games to see how it's setup), especially if people want something new

You wouldnt expect a dev who makes the game - and who released the MCC, to know what options are/should be availbe in custom game lobbies at launch?

This isnt rocket science - its already been done (but then again we are working with 343 here, so maybe a "wish-list" is needed)

:intel:

I don't understand why they take away health in breakout. This game made is not Halo at all..

Can you cap some of your games? Would be interested to see what top level FFA looks like in this game.

Yeah I can record a few later tonight when I get a chance.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Two things that I feel really need some work and would increase enjoyment significantly.

1. The AR is way too effective from range. I have no problem with it in close quarters, what there's no way you should be able to consistently get the kills that people are from long range.this could come in the form of smaller clip size, increased spread, or something else that doesn't compromise its effectiveness at close range but does minimize its long range effectiveness.

2. I agree with what other the been saying about the delay between using an ability and being able to aim down the sights. this has always been a trademark of halo, being able to throw a grenade etc., and immediately being able to zoom in afterwards. Right now there is what seems like a half second delay.

I don't understand how the pro team would not push harder for these changes to begin with. Who knows, maybe they did.

I'd be happy with these two changes as a starting point. but somehow I don't see them Nerfing the assault rifle at all, the waypoint Forum would light on fire....

• Downvote (-1) 1

For anyone reading this who hasn't bought the game, who came here looking for an opinion of multiplayer before making the purchase... if that's the most this community is upset with - additional animations and an unfamiliar aim control - then the decision to play this game should be clear.

Not entirely disagreeing with your post and it's great to see you posting again, but the community is upset with a little more than just "additional animations and an unfamiliar aim control".

So I'm very behind on here but what is everyone's thoughts on purchasing silver reqs to get the permanents out of the way or is it better to just save up for gold?

So far Halo 5 for me is amazing. Only thing I found funny is that during the campaign the AI is a bit weird. For example: Tanaka drives off the map... with Buck in the passenger seat. Pretty funny, but frustrating when playing on legendary. Warzone is stupid fun. Haven't hopped in arena yet. 

Hey does anyone happen to know of a site that has all halo 5 Arena map information? i.e. map layout, callouts, spawns, (etc. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

I think that aside from Breakout the worst gametype currently is Empire Strongholds. Having the central Stronghold be in the pit along with the Overshield is awful - it's a complete grenade fest and seems to be almost impossible to retake control of once it's lost. I think it would be much better if it was moved into the tower, where Scattershot currently is, and then the Scattershot was moved to the Pit and OS placed outside Turbine where the Sniper Rifle was in the beta.

As it currently stands I'd much rather see CTF on Empire than either Strongholds or Slayer.

There's a little more to it than that.

I'm sure, but it's primarily what I'm seeing in this thread unless I just missed earlier discussions (totally possible, since I only started skimming at launch day). I'm just saying, if you're looking strictly Halo 4 to Halo 5, not like Halo 2 to Halo 5, it's a huge improvement. I've just never been the type of person to say like, Halo:CE is what all Halo's should be. I'm willing to give them this new sprint, thrusters, ground pound, etc. since they don't completely ruin the game the way things like Jetpack did.

Actually, since I have your attention and I know you'll have an answer for me... kill time to the 5sk magnum - how's it stack compared to BR kill times in the past? I've been playing Destiny for so long that I just don't remember and it's been bother me this whole time.

1. The AR is way too effective from range. I have no problem with it in close quarters, what there's no way you should be able to consistently get the kills that people are from long range.this could come in the form of smaller clip size, increased spread, or something else that doesn't compromise its effectiveness at close range but does minimize its long range effectiveness.

I can echo this. I hope that for the Team Arena playlist, they switch to Magnum/SMG instead of AR/Magnum.

And the magnetism. Multiple times when I clearly missed I somehow hit them. 

Like this?

:kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Has anyone tried the damage modifiers to get a 4 shot pistol? I know it will eff up other weapons damages so just okay a pistols only game and see how it feels. I want to know how good it is.

We're a bunch of beaten wives that keep coming back.

Seems like you got out.

For real though where you been? If you end up getting it let us know what you think. You're just about the only person who could convince me to give it a try.

I'm sure, but it's primarily what I'm seeing in this thread unless I just missed earlier discussions (totally possible, since I only started skimming at launch day). I'm just saying, if you're looking strictly Halo 4 to Halo 5, not like Halo 2 to Halo 5, it's a huge improvement. I've just never been the type of person to say like, Halo:CE is what all Halo's should be. I'm willing to give them this new sprint, thrusters, ground pound, etc. since they don't completely ruin the game the way things like Jetpack did.

Actually, since I have your attention and I know you'll have an answer for me... kill time to the 5sk magnum - how's it stack compared to BR kill times in the past? I've been playing Destiny for so long that I just don't remember and it's been bother me this whole time.

I can echo this. I hope that for the Team Arena playlist, they switch to Magnum/SMG instead of AR/Magnum.

Lol what? The smg is more powerful than the AR.

So I'm very behind on here but what is everyone's thoughts on purchasing silver reqs to get the permanents out of the way or is it better to just save up for gold?

Since I could give less of a fuck about Warzone, I'm selling everything Warzone related I get and buy the gold ones. The only difference I see in the description is Silver gives Common to Rare, Gold gives Uncommon to Legendary. So if you have no interest in the armors labelled as Legendary, then it's much more cost effective to buy Silvers.

Also, just from the description, I'd wager that if you maxed out silvers (as in, you have all Common to Rare unlocks), Gold would only give you Legendarys. But that's just based on my interpretation of the description.

Edit: That said though, since I have a small collection of strategy guides, I got the Halo 5 one and there's a FUCK TON of armor in this game.

Lol what? The smg is more powerful than the AR.

But it feels like it's effectiveness at ranges drops way faster than the ARs.