CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I am ok with aiming. With the pistol and seem to do much better than most with it.  But then with the BR I seem to do worse than most.   Also all console halos have aim acceleration or you would turn slow as molasses.  I once hooked an s-pad to play halo pc when it came out, you will quickly notice the difference when actually having no acceleration.  

I havent played an FPS game since that beta and im aiming perfectly fine, took me adjusting the sens to 5 and playing two games and 4 missions of campaign.

So are there any plans in the future to release social playlist besides just warzone? cause ya boi needs some social slayer after being a try hard.

Would also like to know when HCS settings come out.

I haven't noticed any issues with the aiming. There have been a few times the sniper feels a little wonky but I thought that was because I suck.   :ghost:

Hands down this sniper is the worst. The ONLY sniper it's better than is 4's. Even then it's pushing it.

There was something clunky about halo 4's snipe that I'm not feeling in halo 5 so that's an improvement at least.  I still feel like halo 3 pulled off the perfect halo sniper.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Can someone explain to me what feels 'wrong' with aiming? I literally have no issues except my aim is shit because I'm terrible.

Issue is you had bad aim in the first place lol

these maps because of size just allows kids to crouch behind a corner with an AR...it's disgusting...then you got this garbage radar

• Upvote (+1) 2

It feels heavy and variable. Like the reticle moves with a bizarre momentum. It's very noticeable in close to mid-range fights.

This.

I seriously don't think there is anything wrong with Aiming.

Guys it's been out a day, play it for a week or two and then see if it's still awful for you.

Maybe you are just Bronze Division trash, ever think of that?

Staff Captain reporting for duty sir!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Even if you are a man of your word, there's literally no chance that you're getting this damn hat.

-Ghost

As disappointed as I am at this...

That was still one thread with ten total posts in it. This is spread over multiple communities, it is very apparent. Weighing that single, small thread against the reaction that people are having now would not lead me to believe that this change was necessary.

People are saying "just play it out and get used to it", well I never got used to Halo 3's aiming and that's why I quit out of every match of it in MCC. It's not something that you just stop noticing. Again, I haven't played H5 full release, so I don't know if what they're saying is on the mark, but it's been reiterated by many.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Quit penalties need to be waaaay more harsh. 80% of my games has at least one player leaving the game. Ruins it for everyone.

• Upvote (+1) 5

As disappointed as I am at this...

That was still one thread with ten total posts in it. This is spread over multiple communities, it is very apparent. Weighing that single, small thread against the reaction that people are having now would not lead me to believe that this change was not necessary.

just playing devils advocate here:

After reading Josh and Ghosts posts, im leaning toward we're playing a new halo game with new aiming mechanics, meaning the less sticky aim, new movement options, etc.

I would compare it to COD all of a sudden having recoil added back into their mp and fans around the world up in arms because suddenly they cant aim.

can any Warzone expert tell me why i cannot use my Carbine?

i got it as a permanet card (well that one that increases the droprate) and another 15 single use carbine cards yet it doesnt show up in a warzone game even when my REQ level is on 9

do i need a certain spartan rank before i can use the carbine?

That tiny railing thing on the OS bridge of Plaza is infuriating. Try to drop down to run away and you can't, you have to jump over it. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Quit penalties need to be waaaay more harsh. 80% of my games has at least one player leaving the game. Ruins it for everyone.

lol, the one thing about Call of Duty that 343 DIDN'T copy...

This

actually i like the new look mechanics now, in the beginning i really hated it as i couldnt keep my crosshair on target while opponents were strafing

but now after having played straight 3h im back with my aim and start to like it

though to me it doesnt feel like the aim assist is any lower, its still quite present even on long ranges

might as well tone it down even more

People are saying "just play it out and get used to it", well I never got used to Halo 3's aiming and that's why I quit out of every match of it in MCC. It's not something that you just stop noticing.

And getting used to a bad design decision doesn't change how good it is inherently.

I got used to Halo 3, but I still feel that rush of control when I switch from that to H2 or CE.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I didn't pay much attention to the aiming for the bit I played, when I play tonight I'll try to pay more attention. I did have to increase my sensitivity rather significantly, otherwise the only major issue I had was turning around 180 degrees felt pretty slow.

Maybe we need to have a poll for this? I see a lot of commentors say they don't like it, but half of Vin's posts saying he thinks it's fine get a fair amount of plus rep.

Okay, some initial impressions:

Positive:
  • Campaign so far seems relatively easy to follow. Much better than H4.
  • Matchmaking is what this series has needed since 2007. It's flawlessly done. I love how smooth and fast getting in and out of matches is.
  • The whole game is slick and smooth, from the gameplay to the UI. I do feel like I need an Elite controller to handle all the movement combinations though, but that's a good thing. Overall movement and shooting feels great, much more fluid than the beta.
  • Art style seems like a proper evolution of the series' overall style. It feels like its a blend of everything good from H3 and H4.
  • Warzone is great fun although it feels mostly like BTB dominion on bigger maps.
  • Ranking system and unlocks are the best they've ever been. 
Negative:
  • Aiming is screwy. As we've been discussing for the last several pages, when you jump between H1/2/4/2A into H5 something just feels off. Optimal solution is a slider imo.
  • Game feels barebones. You finish the campaign, run a few games of each MP type, and then what? Grind competitive Arena? Grind for REQ unlocks? I'm sure this will keep a lot of people happy (like I mentioned I think the unlock system is great) but the game still feels small. With Reach especially I always felt like there was something to do no matter my mood, whether it be the firefight playlists or forge or one of the multiple MP playlists or whatever. Once you've finished H5s campaign it's kinda just... Arena and Warzone. And those don't have the depth or variety previous games' MPs did either. 
  • Sometimes the game feels wonderful, like a proper evolution of the original trilogy. But other times... When you sprint across a map, thrust out across a ledge and clamber up onto another and aim down the sights of your SMG you start to wonder what game you're playing. Is it Halo or is it generic scifi shooter #1869? It's a tad frustrating too because I feel like a few small changes like keeping the shield damage/low shields sound effects classic would make a big difference. 
  • Sprint. I know the time to fight the good fight here is probably over, and althought it'll only take one instance of sprinting away from a fight and then wondering why your damn shields never recharged as you get cleaned up later to realize it's not as bad as it used to be, but I still feel that arena would play significantly better without sprint. Removing it would make the matches that much less chaotic and more like the game of high speed chess that made the old Halos so fantastic. Make Slide Thruster + Crouch and Spartan Charge Thruster + Melee and call it a day.
  • The snipers are just too easy. I hit a sniper headshot overkill in Warzone on my very first MP game ever. Compare this with H3 where I STILL have trouble getting anything above a triple even in BTB, and you can see that there's an issue. To me it feels like either the bullet mag is too high or the hit boxes for the snipers are too large. I really think this needs tweaking. Recoil bugs me too. Just overall feels clunky to use.
  • Take radar out of the arena playlist FFS. Even the limited radar it's obnoxious.
Unexpected:
  • ADS doesn't bother me at all now, which is a big change for me from the beta. The rapid snap in and out really has improved the fluidity. The only thing that bugs me is that it feels like on the weapons that fully zoom in, especially the sniper, there's one or two frames where it feels like you have a break in your line of sight on your target. I'll capture some footage and look at it frame by frame later. 
  • Warzone and the REQ system are a lot of fun and nowhere near the clusterfuck of insanity I expected. The weapon skins stuff is really neat and I hope they let us make our own skins eventually. 
  • Aiming is legit super hard. Probably not unexpected given the beta but it feels like the bullet mag has been toned down on a lot of the weapons since then. I think the gun skill gap with the exception of the snipers is the largest we've had since CE, given that H3s low aim assist was crippled by the ineffectiveness of the weapons. Hearing that "purrrrrfect" when you juke someone and five shot them with the pistol is so satisfying. 
  • I love the sandbox balance right now. It's nice to have a proper reason to pick up every weapon. I suspect as I become more proficient with the pistol I'll be less likely to use the BR and Carbine but for now they're still worthy pickups. I do think we could have done without the million different weapons in each niche but every weapon is still a worthy pickup. It also seems like automatics have finally found their place. The power of the pistol keeps me from getting frustrated with AR starts and it's great to keep an SMG in your back pocket to surprise someone with at close range. 

Overall I think this is the best experience we've had to work with since 2007, and a huge step forward from anything we've seen in the last few years. The gunplay is great and the skill gap is high. With that said, the lack of features misses the mark, and the gameplay oscillates between feeling great and feeling generic, so I'm unconvinced that H5 will reach the heights of the original series and have staying power with Blops 3 and Battlefront right around the corner. We need REALLY good post launch support fast if we want to have a sustained population - BTB, Forge, file sharing and gametypes need to come now - not 3 months down the line when people have moved on. 

Also pls patch theater.

• Upvote (+1) 7