CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

If enemies are over 10 feet from you, their animations go 30FPS.

And 343 said that the game needs 60fps ?
  • Downvote (-1) 1

And 343 said that the game needs 60fps ?

It's not really that bad.

I just finished campaign and it was only noticeable at first, but i got used to it fast. 

just watching hysteria run around the maps....there is way too many areas on them....seriously....way too many areas...wait till yall start playing 2v2s....LMFAO....you'll understand. It's too many ledges that lead to other areas, too many nooks and crannies. Too many platforms. It's just overboard what they did with the maps.

Naded was playing 2v2s last night and pacing looked fine.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

So @@Sal1ent since it seems that Dispatch in Warzone Assault is really just ARC I would assume the other 2 maps are just Stormbreak and Apex 7.

Where and when does this map come in to play? Surely you did not show off DLC maps in pre-release footage:

fb5ec6365806f603f5795a79b3970ad3.png

@@Sal1ent Would still love an answer

• Upvote (+1) 1

This looks like questionable geometry and some sort of blast radius glitch that makes explosions not damage around corners (the 90 degree angle that the stairs make could be considered a "corner"). The latter could be intended, but after looking at how weird of an effect it had, I doubt it. If that's not it, then the rocket somehow entered the small gap under the stairs and that's why it did no damage whatsoever.

Either way, this is precisely why you should avoid using stairs at all when making maps in a FPS. In older games they'd just render a flat ramp for collision under aesthetic stairs to make grenades and movement smooth while making it look nice-looking, but now that we have powerful machines and higher polycount, developers insist on rendering every single edge and corner out there, and it leads to stuff like this, along with grenades getting stuck on everything and killing you instead of your opponent.

I honestly miss maps looking this generic for this exact reason.

18screenshot00-85.jpg

Also because it's not cluttered, making enemies easily visible. Nothing to distract. I would give my left testicle if we had maps with these graphics, just smoother.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I guarantee if the game goes to Br starts that you will see "perfect kills" under teh stats menu go from about a 3-5 kills svg to about 10. The gun is stupidly easy to use, that's bad for a competitive game.

It cant any easier than the H2A BR. I want pistol starts, but 343 needs to up its clipsize to make it viable imo.

I'm just so ready to play this damn game. There is almost nothing to do right now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

18screenshot00-85.jpg

Also because it's not cluttered, making enemies easily visible. Nothing to distract. I would give my left testicle if we had maps with these graphics, just smoother.

December forge.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

18screenshot00-85.jpg

The interesting part is how you can take a map like this, use the existing models for collision, and just re-draw an amazing map on top of it to make it look stunning by today's standards (kind of like CEA and H2A did – not necessarily in terms of looks, but in terms of method). It doesn't even have to look that simple or almost "plain", though I do see how beneficial it can be for the game.

Regardless I agree, original Halo maps did it right and a lot of them are very memorable for that specific reason.

somehow cannot download the Day1 Patch, it stops the moment i start downloading it

anyone knows how to fix this? im on the windows 10 preview version

i installed the game with the console being offline since that is known to be a lot faster as game + patch arent installed at the same time

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can't get over the fact that enemies look like ants even from mid-range.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Sucks forge is delayed, but once it comes out we are going to get some pretty steezy maps. I am hoping for an ice theme and a jungle theme:)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sucks forge is delayed, but once it comes out we are going to get some pretty steezy maps. I am hoping for an ice theme and a jungle theme:)

there is an Ice theme it's called glacier, as for jungle, I'm sure you can make a jungle map on one of the settings.

Forge images

h5-guardians-forge-glacier-01-c1ca70af66

h5-guardians-forge-space-02-1dbf98bd1287

h5-guardians-forge-alpine-02-9a8c4531727

UAcn519.jpg

OEceF1Z.jpg

55OXax5.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 5

www.twitch.tv/walshy

Walshy has one of the best pistols I've seen so far. Guy doesn't need to grab a rifle.

From word of mouth it seems Walshy is ahead of the other players and his Pistol is dirty as fuck currently.

Edit: matclan beat me lol

Have you explored PC as an option? ;)

But really, just wait to see how Halo 5 launches. Dropping $500 for a dust collector and a potential mediocre game is completely possible.

Yeah, that is the only gaming I usually do..apart from PS4, but thats mainly my netflix4. CPU gaming 4 lyf

I know you're speaking primarily of gameplay and map elements, but you bring up a point that can applied elsewhere in 343's designs: I don't think I'll ever understand--not as a game designer, not as a graphic designer, not as a conceptual artist, not as a creative writer--how changing Halo's visual identity (Master Chief's armor, BR design, rockets design, announcer enthusiasm, shield regen sound etc.) could have ever seemed like an intelligent move for the remotest reason whatsoever in any corner of anyone's mind. Did Kojima change MGS's '!' ping? Mario change its visual style from each mainline game to mainline game? Does ANY game dev change some of the most recognizable visual elements of a game for presumably no reason? (That I'm aware of, anyway)

Sure, they're different artists from different studios. Walt Disney's original artists have been dead for a long time yet modern Disney never radically changed Mickey's look outside of simple modernizing--they just hired people who could replicate his art style. So different artists can't be the reason.

Meh, I'm just salty they replaced the SPNKr.

What? They have updated his armour in all of the games, especially CE > 2 in which they literally gave him a new version altogether. You are great overexaggerating the changes made to it for this trilogy. The main silhouette is still the same and thats what matters from a design perspective.

They kept a lot of it the same while still tinkering with things here or there, its a reasonable thing to expect any studio in 343's position to do. Thats not to say I've loved every change they've made, but just that I can see the logic behind the changes themselves.