CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Maps are sub par but better than anything we saw in HR/4 and pro play is insane and very entertaining. Personally, I have high expectation in the future.

You really think any of these maps are better than zealot? Countdown they are maybe better than but zealot was the shit.

To me the watchability is equal to preseason football. Get real excited when it's coming up but then after a few minutes I get bored because there's not alot of the playbook being used.

I bought the uncharted collection to beat before halo 5 comes out. I got about a game and a half through and haven't played since because of the pros streaming.

Can't stop watching. Especially naded, lethul, and 2gre.

So good. I have high hopes.

just watching hysteria run around the maps....there is way too many areas on them....seriously....way too many areas...wait till yall start playing 2v2s....LMFAO....you'll understand. It's too many ledges that lead to other areas, too many nooks and crannies. Too many platforms. It's just overboard what they did with the maps.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't have to disagree with it. You haven't played it yet so you wouldn't know.

What the fuck am I experiencing

Is there a tournament today? Saw a bunch of posts the other day about some pros playing the 343 pro team?

Is there a tournament today? Saw a bunch of posts the other day about some pros playing the 343 pro team?

Pros were invited to the studio. I imagine they will record/stream "LAN" gameplay footage and overlay that with commentary from Bravo to demo a package of what the HCS gameplay/gametypes/production are going to look like.

just watching hysteria run around the maps....there is way too many areas on them....seriously....way too many areas...wait till yall start playing 2v2s....LMFAO....you'll understand. It's too many ledges that lead to other areas, too many nooks and crannies. Too many platforms. It's just overboard what they did with the maps.

They had to do whatever it takes to match Call Of Duty and steal those fans back  :kappa:

Most of these maps literally look maps I'd see in these recent CODs.  

What's the overall opinion of "watch-ability" and map design?

Seen kind of a mixed bag of opinions so far

The additional map detail allowed by the increased power of the Xbox One, in my opinion, distracts from the ability to easily distinguish parts of the map. CS:GO does this extremely well with all their map designs, the Halo 5 maps seems to look all too similar across the board. 

This will make it harder for a casual audience to enjoy the game, as you'll need to be more intensely familiar with the maps in order to distinguish player locations. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Some platforms and ledges are good for allowing movement but damn there aren't any power positions since anyone can get anywhere from anywhere

Anybody else torn between pre-loading the game so it's ready at midnight, or going to the store to get it then having to wait almost 2 days for it to install? Because that's where I'm at... I have a $15 off anything coupon at Bestbuy that I can use to get the game. But idk if I wanna wait another 2 days for it to install so I can play it.

Honestly, I'd get the disc. The download shouldn't take as long since it will be straight from the disc, other than the 9GB update.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maps are sub par but better than anything we saw in HR/4 and pro play is insane and very entertaining. Personally, I have high expectation in the future.

I don't want maps that simply work and aren't offensive, I want ones that are actively good and interesting. For Halo, that should be the minimum. I believe it is the reason why I've only occasionally enjoyed watching the pros play H5 the past two days.

Personally I'm a bit worried. Then again, people watch Destiny like a drug and I find it more boring to watch than any Halo game to date (except maybe  4). So I'm not really in tune with the masses.

Gotta maximize clamber usage. 

Most of these maps literally look maps I'd see in these recent CODs.  

I remember saying this some time back and a few posters were making it seem as if I was talking crazy. No, some of these maps really look like maps in recent cod games from a design standpoint. They may look prettier in halo, but certain aesthetics and areas look just like a map you can find in a cod game in the last 3 years. Not to mention all of the UNSC maps looking almost identical (regardless of remixes). There has to be more to a UNSC map than staircases and rooms with cylinders that look alike.

The Pit does not look like Foundry, Blackout, Ghost Town or High Ground. Fathom, Eden, The Rig, Plaza and Empire all look one huge Warzone map split into parts for arena gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Some platforms and ledges are good for allowing movement but damn there aren't any power positions since anyone can get anywhere from anywhere

On Eden or Empire it's possible to jump from the bottom floor to top catwalk with clamber. I think clamber either needs to be removed or the time to bring up the gun after clambering needs to be increased. It does some disgusting things to maps.

• Upvote (+1) 1

yea....in the form of a "legendary weapon"...utterly stupid. There is no reason why this shouldn't be the default skin for the weapon instead of that hideous modernized version. Stop destroying the identity of my favorite franchise.

This is nothing to celebrate. We shouldn't have to be happy about something like this.

Yeah I'm not really celebrating

I don't want maps that simply work and aren't offensive, I want ones that are actively good. For Halo, that should be the minimum. I believe it is the reason why I've only occasionally enjoyed watching the pros play H5 the past two days.

Personally I'm a bit worried. Then again, people watch Destiny like a drug and I find it more boring to watch than any Halo game to date (except maybe  4). So I'm not really in tune with the masses.

Halo has a wealth -- a literal goldmine of great maps to choose from. 343 has ignored all of that existing content. Even their Midship remake is really a shitty bastardization of the original map.

This "guiding principle" that 343i has adopted -- that you cannot re-use any content from previous Halos -- really shows and it weighs on the game. If you forsake previous map designs and gameplay elements despite how good they are simply because "it's already been done," you're painting yourself into a bigtime corner. It's also a shitty business decision. It's a lot cheaper to modernize old features/content that you know work; it's a lot more expensive to create new features/content out of thin air that also suck dick.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

For the most part those who were gonna hate Halo 5 regardless of what it was still do and those on the fence I think are mostly positive.

Idk how CE fans can look at Plaza and The Rig and not be a little optimistic about those.

INB4 "But Mace all the UNSC maps looks the same!"

Shout out to humflung for seeing the light

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hard to say how the overall flow will be since most players don't know where weapons are placed or the specifics of the spawn system yet, but I'm really enjoying the pistol duels; especially if someone scores back to back perfects or outshoots a rifle outside of RRR. It has that little clutch factor that hasn't been seen in a while.

I like what i have watched so far. There have been some nail biting games- Naded's team 47-41 comeback in TS, Ogre 2's team 30 point comeback in strongholds. 

I have also seen pretty big momentum swings in games: like 20 to 3 turned into 24 to 19. Pretty entertaining to me... Ace also had a double Ground pound, to triple and choked on the overkill last night to. Ace is got some sweet moves with the movement abilites, APG, Roy, lethul, Orge 2 have got some nice pistol skills.

Its also cool to see the drastic styles in movement. I have noticed Ogre 2 RARELY sprints compared to other pros.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo has a wealth -- a literal goldmine of great maps to choose from. 343 has ignored all of that existing content. Even their Midship remake is really a shitty bastardization of the original map.

This "guiding principle" that 343i has adopted -- that you cannot re-use any content from previous Halos -- really shows and it weighs on the game. If you forsake previous map designs and gameplay elements despite how good they are simply because "it's already been done," you're painting yourself into a bigtime corner.

I know you're speaking primarily of gameplay and map elements, but you bring up a point that can applied elsewhere in 343's designs: I don't think I'll ever understand--not as a game designer, not as a graphic designer, not as a conceptual artist, not as a creative writer--how changing Halo's visual identity (Master Chief's armor, BR design, rockets design, announcer enthusiasm, shield regen sound etc.) could have ever seemed like an intelligent move for the remotest reason whatsoever in any corner of anyone's mind. Did Kojima change MGS's '!' ping? Mario change its visual style from each mainline game to mainline game? Does ANY game dev change some of the most recognizable visual elements of a game for presumably no reason? (That I'm aware of, anyway)

Sure, they're different artists from different studios. Walt Disney's original artists have been dead for a long time yet modern Disney never radically changed Mickey's look outside of simple modernizing--they just hired people who could replicate his art style. So different artists can't be the reason.

Meh, I'm just salty they replaced the SPNKr.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm still seeing lots of 30fps animations.

If enemies are over 10 feet from you, their animations go 30FPS.