CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

If anyone is running 8 Man FFA on H5 I just want to let you know I am practically an auto join. And if you run those add me and invite me and I will come.

Gt:TBRNER

Are you guys serious with this shit? 

"I don't like what he's saying so I'm going to make it out like he's a ******"? 

Seriously fucking disappointed in this attitude. 

I, for one, think you are a poopy pants.

Jk, I may not always agree with you, but idk why certain people are going nuts.

• Upvote (+1) 2

sDGeO2j.gif

Christ that's a large gif. 59mb dayum. Didn't someone here get banned for posting a 40mb gif? lol

Christ that's a large gif. 59mb dayum. Didn't someone here get banned for posting a 40mb gif? lol

Usually if I end up posting a gif denser than that the post doesn't even happen.

• Upvote (+1) 1

60 FPS actually does improve gameplay because it doubles the amount of opportunities for one to input actions faster than opposing players when compared to 30 FPS counterparts. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Akademik beat me one game after i haven't played CE in 4 months, and I was playing with a friend trying to teach him CE. 

This is what happened last time I played with Akademik in CE.

The fact that Batchford makes a joke, so you talk shit against AkaDemik is hilarious.

• Upvote (+1) 2

He is talking about the mechanics of the game.

60 fps does not affect the mechanics of the game in a significant way.

I do not know anything about halo 5, but if it had similar issues to its predecessors, then his argument is essentially:

60 fps doesn't matter when you have an imbalanced weapon set, kill times are slow, maps suck dick, close quarter combat is a derp fest, nades are shit, etc, etc

He also said this:

60 FPS is as meaningful to gameplay as FOV, in that it is a purely an element of visual comfort.

Which is straight up ridiculous as both FoV and framerate have a very tangible effect on gameplay.

60 FPS actually does improve gameplay because it doubles the amount of opportunities for one to input actions faster than opposing players when compared to 30 FPS counterparts.

I'm no developer but I don't think it works like that. Pretty sure it's continuous motion, like key framing an animation, and the gpu will choose intervals to display what is happening.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It'd just some words lemon used that were just wtf like "akin to visual comfort". Its not comfort, one performs better than the other and makes the gameplay better than how it would play at a lower frame rate.

Framerate directly impacts the moment to moment connection between player input and what is drawn to screen. It's logically incoherent for you to complain on the one hand about any extra frame of animation drawn between actions in the game and then turn around and state that framerate has no meaningful impact on gameplay beyond visual comfort. That is factually incorrect.

I really don't see how this arguement is still going.

Also I never once said 60fps is the only thing worth worrying about when it comes to gameplay, but Cursed on the other hand did say that "60 FPS is as meaningful to gameplay as FOV, in that it is a purely an element of visual comfort." which is actually just wrong. How am I the one being called out for bending the truth haha? This is ridiculous

Keep back tracking if you want but the meat of the argument is only a few pages back and I stand by my points.

Which is straight up ridiculous as both FoV and framerate have a very tangible effect on gameplay.

Only with regard to the visual information the player is receiving. They don't change the logic of the game. Bullet spread is still random as fuck in in H3 at 60fps or with a wide FoV.

If gameplay refers to "what is happening within the gamstate" then 60fps has no impact.

What sucks is we aren't even having a useful argument related to the value of 60fps compared to other features.

nope i'm still here.

Can my Avatar be changed back? Although I might keep it since it is so lovingly gifted by the staff

No, keep it.

That's a demand.

• Upvote (+1) 3

In terms of gameplay, I think H5 has already trumped H3 and all of the Halo's that has released after it. In terms of longevity and replayability, I think it is the best Halo to date.

In terms of campaign and stability, we'll have to wait until launch.

In terms of feature set and content, that is arguable.

Lol

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

He also said this:

Yeah, maybe if you're comparing a 45 FOV to a 120 FOV, which is a lot like comparing 60 FPS to 9 FPS. 

Only with regard to the visual information the player is receiving. They don't change the logic of the game. Bullet spread is still random as fuck in in H3 at 60fps.

If gameplay refers to "what is happening within the gamstate" then 60fps has no impact.

But at the end of the day an actual human will have to interpret what is being displayed on the screen. This isn't some "well in the theory the mechanics are actually x, whereas the frame rate is y". They are both integral parts of the gaming experience.

But once we all agree that 60FPS is superior to 30, and that it actually is an admirable thing for 343 to prioritise (even though it should be a given but alas this console generation is a bit of a joke, power wise) I'm happy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, maybe if you're comparing a 45 FOV to a 120 FOV, which is a lot like comparing 60 FPS to 9 FPS. 

Even a 20 fov difference can make a big impact on gameplay though... Not mechanics wise obviously but you know...See more know more

lol cursed strikes again! Even the difference between 75-90 FoV will have an effect on how you play a game

anyway really I'm done now, this has gone on too long

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The fact that Batchford makes a joke, so you talk shit against AkaDemik is hilarious.

Because akademik clearly told Batchford about how he beat me in one CE game.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Some of the same people saying fov doesn't matter are the same ones that say they hate Halo 3 because of the fov. Just thought I'd say that. However, in terms of the game it isn't not on par with starting weapons, timers, map design etc. and I think that's the whole point being made.

Even a 20 fov difference can make a big impact on gameplay though... Not mechanics wise obviously but you know...See more know more

lol cursed strikes again! Even the difference between 75-90 FoV will have an effect on how you play a game

anyway really I'm done now, this has gone on too long

And if we were pitting a 90 FOV player against a 75 FOV player, you might have a point, albeit an extremely thin one. But we're not. Everybody gets 60 FPS in H5. Just like everyone gets 60 FPS in CE MCC, but it's still a pile of dogshit and doesn't cover up any of the "design flaws". You know what though, fine, we can drop the FOV analogy - that still doesn't bolster the idea that someone playing on 60 FPS is going to be able to beat someone playing at 30 FPS, all other things being equal.