CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Like I said, I'd love to compare and contrast a list with let's say, Halo 3.

- LAN

- Split screen

- Forge

- All gametypes and features available at launch

- Sniper requires thumbs to be used effectively

- No sprint

- No thruster

- Decent maps that aren't "remixes" of each other

- Lighting isn't way over the top

- Social and ranked playlists

- Great stat tracking on bungie.net

- Can zoom in my weapon without half the screen being covered by SMART SCOPE

- etc.

And this is just the tip of the ice berg, because with 343i there is ALWAYS something that they tried to sweep under the rug.

H5 is shaping up to be no better than H3, the people saying the best Halo since CE are out of their minds.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I said a lot of stuff, not every stuff.

I can explain to you how 60 fps, dedicated servers, nerfed sprint, better radar, and a weapon that we get every spawn, that can kill faster than any utility weapon since CE, that isn't easy to aim, that shoots dead accurately makes Halo 5 better at a bullet-to-helmet level.

1. 60fps and Dedis should be standard, especially if you're toting your game as a competitive FPS. These are not back of the box bullet point worthy.

2. Sprint still has it's inherent problems. Sprint and a game like halo just DO NOT WORK TOGETHER. But, let's take your argument. Ok, sprint been nerfed to a point where is no longer useful. So, why is it still in the game? Because, and this is quoting 343 "the majority of players expect to be able to sprint." Translation: It's in CoD and every other AAA game we're ripping off, so it's in Halo. #dealwithit

3. Better radar? HAHAHAHAHA. Radar is the worst thing ever. It's a crutch. I dislike it even in CoD and CS. Your communication is your radar, or at least it should be.

4. Hey, the CE pistol is great! What if we made it hitscan and took twice as long to kill? Brilliant!

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There surely must be some way for MICROSOFT to mimick xbl connectivity with a dev kit or something for LAN right?

or am I chattin dat mumbo jumbo and being ridiculous?

You're right, I'm mistaken. 60 FPS definitely helps rebalance the sandbox.

"help the gameplay" and "rebalance the sandbox" are not the same thing

• Upvote (+1) 7

There surely must be some way for MICROSOFT to mimick xbl connectivity with a dev kit or something for LAN right?

or am I chattin dat mumbo jumbo and being ridiculous?

They can have actual LAN. Gears got it, I don't understand why Halo doesn't.

You're right, I'm mistaken. 60 FPS definitely helps rebalance the sandbox.

Don't worry man I knew what you meant.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes you can, it has happened before, people type big lists of all features they think are going to be great. I'm sure a few people here remember on the mlg forums that snipetality (I think? correct if wrong please but his name comes to mind) was almost erect after the reach beta, saying it's going to be the best halo by FAR since h1 and all these great things and look how that turned out.

You posted "I'm not saying you aren't allowed to say that you're skeptical, and that you don't want to preorder, or that you think the game totes sucks. I'm just saying you're wrong, and the proof is in the pudding with this game.", you cannot say "you are wrong" when it comes to someone being skeptical, if anything the evidence suggests you are wrong not being skeptical.

Of course I'm not going to tell you not to be excited, it's nice people can still get hyped but for me and i'm sure a few others 343 have absolutely killed the hype with h4 and mcc as they were both an absolute joke to the franchise.

All I can say is don't get your hopes too high and please wait after you've played it a while to say it's an amazing game as the honey moon phase can be a huge problem with halo. I'm not going to be one of these people who says "the game will be terrible", those people suck because if the game does suck, they were right and if it doesn't, they have a great game to play, they win either way.

I remember when halo 4 was originally announced I was surprised and excited, I wasn't even expecting a halo game to be released until the next xbox (XB1) came out so for it to come out, and with that badass E3 trailer (favorite to this day) I had huge hopes for it. I bought into that for a long while, but as I saw certain aspects of the game that were subpar if not mediocre (5sk BR, lack of 4v4 maps, sandbox, etc.) and I heard the complains made by many other people (especially THC) I ended up thinking it was going to be trash about a month or two from launch. I purchased it anyway so I'm a sucker, that being said it was clearly going to be a POS from day 1.

Halo 5 on the other hand, from the first time I saw it, looked good. Underwhelming, but good. I assumed 343i would go balls to the wall and try to offer something as innovative as possible, instead their focus was apparently on refining and changing what was already there (halo 4)

Halo 5 looks good on almost all fronts, the main problems that I would be concerned with are related to matchmaking and stability (glitches) and if they can have a good solid launch then it should succeed.

Yeah honestly the spectator mode is terrible. It's good for online tournaments and will be great for HCS cups but the 15 second delay makes it useless at live events

I feel the same way. Spectator mode is one of the most essential features for a game to succeed competitively, and so for 343i to make it useless for live events is just flat out dumb.

IMO the biggest problem with H5 is the lack of any kind of local play. No splitscreen, and no LAN. The two core features that were the foundation of the Halo community outside the online space. Completely gone.

343 has nuked the features that got me into this series in the first place. I'm sure the online will be good, but for me, it has already fallen short of the original trilogy.

local play has not really been huge since CE, it was still fairly common with 2, ever since 3 I would say it has been practically irrelevant.

I would also assume that MS would want as many people as possible to play on their servers, so that may have had something to do with it.

"help the gameplay" and "rebalance the sandbox" are not the same thing

Then I suppose you're prepared to elaborate on what effect 60 FPS has on gameplay besides an empirically dubious claim about response time, or a general statement of "it just feels better, man"?

• Upvote (+1) 1

1. 60fps and Dedis should be standard, especially if you're toting your game as a competitive FPS. These are not back of the box bullet point worthy.

2. Sprint still has it's inherent problems. Sprint and a game like halo just DO NOT WORK TOGETHER. But, let's take your argument. Ok, sprint been nerfed to a point where is no longer useful. So, why is it still in the game? Because, and this is quoting 343 "the majority of players expect to be able to sprint." Translation: It's in CoD and every other AAA game we're ripping off, so it's in Halo. #dealwithit

3. Better radar? HAHAHAHAHA. Radar is the worst thing ever. It's a crutch. I dislike it even in CoD and CS. Your communication is your radar, or at least it should be.

4. Hey, the CE pistol is great! What if we made it hitscan and took twice as long to kill? Brilliant!

1. A lot of games struggle to hit a steady FPS and apparently Halo 5 is doing really well in the graphics department. Dedicated servers are also a rarity and their absence has been plaguing CoD and Destiny players for a long time

2. Sprint does sell games, sadly. Not much more I can argue here but I agree with Imperium in that it seems to have  been nerfed beyond belief.

3. People are claiming radar has been nerfed. The old radar was a crutch, lets see what it actually looks like in game. (We're talking about more than a range reduction here...)

4. The H5 Pistol isn't trying to be the CE Pistol.

I'm just imagining Lemon disowning CE if it released at 60FPS. 

Totally pulling your strings.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm just imagining Lemon disowning CE if it released at 60FPS. 

Totally pulling your strings.

But it did release in 60 FPS...

And I did disown it, albeit for other reasons. :bravo:

• Upvote (+1) 1

1. A lot of games struggle to hit a steady FPS and apparently Halo 5 is doing really well in the graphics department. Dedicated servers are also a rarity and their absence has been plaguing CoD and Destiny players for a long time

2. Sprint does sell games, sadly. Not much more I can argue here but I agree with Imperium in that it seems to have  been nerfed beyond belief.

3. People are claiming radar has been nerfed. The old radar was a crutch, lets see what it actually looks like in game. (We're talking about more than a range reduction here...)

4. The H5 Pistol isn't trying to be the CE Pistol.

Not saying it's trying to be. That doesn't change the fact that it isn't as good as the CE pistol. I still don't think that's it's the best utility weapon since CE. I don't know if we've actually had a good utility weapon since CE.

Where do we balance sprint? How much has it been nerfed since it's inception, and why do people still feel its not enough? How much more can you balance or nerf sprint before realizing it still doesn't eliminate the core issues of sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 2

60 FPS does not help the gameplay, we don't have LAN for Christ's sake, "better radar" is an oxymoron, and you have no idea how using the pistol will affect high-level matches.

60fps does help. The aiming in Halo is tied to frames, I remember it being a big issue in Reach. 60fps helps with precision. No we don't have LAN. "Better radar" is not a oxymoron when we have played tons and tons of Halo with radar. It's virtually inescapable. So having a radar that doesn't detect you when you're just walking is a nice plus. I know how a shooting gap affects high level matches. As well as faster kill times, and an accurate weapon. I mean, look at Halo 2. Look at Halo 3. Look at Halo Reach. Look at Halo 4. These games all have flawed utility weapons in their own way. I think that the Halo 5 pistol is free from those flaws, and those are the flaws that ruin gameplay. Inaccuracy, ease, bad aiming, recoil, slow.

- LAN

- Split screen

- Forge

- No sprint

- No thruster

-

etc. etc.

H5 is shaping up to be no better than H3, the people saying the best Halo since CE are out of their minds.

LAN is definitely one, can't argue there.

Fuck multiplayer split screen. I hate guests.

Forge will be in the game soon, and will be far better than Halo 3's

Sniper is better, yes.

Movement options better, yes.

I don't see the maps in Halo 3 being automatically better than what we have in Halo 5. Especially in default versions.

Lighting? Really?

Having non ranked playlists is not something that should be celebrated. Better match quality is a universal good imo.

We have open API in Halo 5.

Smart scope bothers you that much?

I have a very, very hard time believing that you think that list tops what I just listed.

They are bullet point worthy if NO OTHER HALO HAS EVER HAD THEM. That's my entire point lol.

Sprint is in the game because people want to feel they have better map traversal options. The sprint speed is so low that they even made a little "whoosh" animation on your HUD to make it seem like you're going faster haha.

Radar is going to be in the default game no matter what. Having one that doesn't detect you while walking is a major improvement.

I'm not comparing this game to CE.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

- LAN

- Split screen

- Forge

- No sprint

- No thruster

- etc.

– Warzone, new large scale MOBA-esque mode

– Better/best Halo reward system to date

– Spectator Mode

– Larger, longer, built for co-op Campaign

– 60 FPS

– Dedicated Servers

– Clan System on Waypoint

– Ranking System that blows Halo 3's out of the water

– Better playlist management (this is not an excuse for lack of the important playlists)

– Better utility weapon

– Balanced and viable sandbox

– Static timers and balanced powerups, actual decent weapon layouts on maps

– Better maps, designed for 4v4 in mind. (The only remixes at launch are Regret and Eden, and Eden is an entirely different beast than Empire and plays completely differently) As a reference, Halo 5 launches with 10 Arena-focused maps (not including Breakout), Halo 3 launched with 8 4v4 maps and only 4 were deemed competitively viable (Pit, Guardian, Construct, Narrows)

– Fast movement/strafe

– Weapon Skins/Armor Skins

– HCS/$1M HWC

– Free DLC 18+ Maps

– Massive overhaul to Forge

– and Immersion  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 7

local play has not really been huge since CE, it was still fairly common with 2, ever since 3 I would say it has been practically irrelevant.

I would also assume that MS would want as many people as possible to play on their servers, so that may have had something to do with it.

Used local play more during Halo 3 than any other Halo. It slowed down in Reach because of framerate problems and the gameplay was bad, problems which only got in worse in H4. It declined because of shitty implementation. People can't play what's broken or isn't there.

And that's not even talking about LAN, which should be a feature in any competitive shooter so that the game can function in the absence of servers. I hope HCS has fun with all the server trouble they're going to have (and have had already).

You have to understand that I saw Halo as primarily something I did with my friends in person, which is now impossible without quadruple the equipment.

Then I suppose you're prepared to elaborate on what effect 60 FPS has on gameplay besides an empirically dubious claim about response time, or a general statement of "it just feels better, man"?

What is there to elaborate on? It is unquestionably smoother due to having literally double the FPS, to the degree where I pretty much find 30FPS unplayable now. Since getting my pc 4 years ago FPS has been the highest priority for me when it comes to managing my graphics settings. It trumps AA, textures, lighting etc. In fact the only thing that comes close to it is my FoV, but still not quite

60 FPS does not help the gameplay, we don't have LAN for Christ's sake, "better radar" is an oxymoron, and you have no idea how using the pistol will affect high-level matches.

More ignorance.

Nice.

How does 60 fps NOT help gameplay? Then you say "Don't say because of response time or that it feels better"... Um, ok? Those are the reasons why 60fps is better. Stop doing your Lemon thing where you skew and load questions to support your crazy theories.

The radar is better because its going to stop people from sprinting up behind you. Its range is the lowest since H2, and it makes it unified across all game modes. This is great news.

Then you attack the pistol saying "we don't know how it'll perform in top level matches". Again, the pistol has 100% accuracy. It is hard to aim. It has a fast TTK only if you are good at aiming. Its literally everything you've been asking for. But "its not good" all of a sudden according to you because you're grasping for something to complain about.

• Upvote (+1) 6

What is there to elaborate on? It is unquestionably smoother due to having literally double the FPS, to the degree where I pretty much find 30FPS unplayable now. Since getting my pc 4 years ago FPS has been the highest priority for me when it comes to managing my graphics settings.

So you would literally be the guy at an OG H1/H2 LAN that says, "you never would've won if this was 60 FPS".