CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

When I think about it, there probably are only a select few BTB players that really want it to have ranks.

I think a comparison to Smash is more applicable. In a world where Smash had a ranking system, I guarantee there would be outrage is team's wasn't ranked. 

I agree. I believe similar to Smash, Halo does warrant a few extra ranked playlists because of its competitive legacy. It would detract slightly from the overall image of the ranking system but I do see where you are saying. 

The sentences I quoted you on are pretty much on point.

(as a fan of Team Doubles, I would be disappointed yet would understand if Team Doubles was released without Ranks)

Irrelevant. If everyone has 50s in Doubles, FFA, Snipers, BTB, SWAT, etc. then no one can say they have a 50 in Halo.

If I tell you I'm Diamond in League of Legends, it carries weight and means something.

You are the first person I have ever seen to say that since multiple playlists are ranked, there is less meaning to each one. That makes no sense at all. Having the top rank(Champion) in any playlist will be prestigious no matter what(especially Team Arena) and even more prestigious if they have multiple Champion rankings.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Any reason why you need a 2nd console?

I gave my first one to my Brother in Law for his birthday. He could have easily got a new one but they only really just had a baby and I figure spending as little money as possible is a good way to go.

Plus I was anticipating some good deals around Christmas for H5.

I've pre-ordered Halo 5 and I'm all in, but what will keep me interested in playing Halo 5 a month or two from now when I've completed the campaign on Legendary and want a break from multiplayer? Will there be any daily or weekly activities that would get me back into the campaign? I'm sure there are commendations and achievements to chase, but it would be nice if there were reasons to jump back into the the campaign occasionally. Just curious.

find skulls?

Laso?

speed runs?

achievements?

score runs?

find skulls?

Laso?

speed runs?

achievements?

score runs?

Not to mention the 117 Intel items to find. That's a helluva lot of #Intel

I'm seriously contemplating getting a Halo 5 console bundle because I can get it with a free copy of Fallout 4.

Now I'm laughing at myself because it would be the 2nd time I've bought an Xbox One just for a Halo game and I should have learnt my lesson the first time around.

Still have not cracked and bought an xbone at all.

I'm pretty sure Reach and 4 killed this series for me. I hope 5 is good, but I can wait... and it feels weird, this'll be the first "new" halo game I won't be playing at launch. I'm literally just going to watch the campaign on Twitch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Still have not cracked and bought an xbone at all.

I'm pretty sure Reach and 4 killed this series for me. I hope 5 is good, but I can wait... and it feels weird, this'll be the first "new" halo game I won't be playing at launch. I'm literally just going to watch the campaign on Twitch.

That shadowrun backwards compatibility thooooooough.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They don't need to switch any of the playlists over to social. What is there, 4 arena playlists? They could easily add 3 or 4 social playlists without effecting MM times.

How is playing on a secondary account going to fix anything? All it's going to do is artificially inflated my friends' ranks and put us in games against opponents that are out of their league.

5 arena playlists and then Big Team and probably Doubles will be added soon. Josh said they could either unrank some of the playlists or players can play on a secondary account if they're so worried about affecting their rank by playing with lower skilled players. Which would you rather have? I'd rather have as many ranked playlists as possible. I don't even see it as a big issue because how often are people going to play with lower skilled players? For me, I always try to play with others who within my skill range.

You are the first person I have ever seen to say that since multiple playlists are ranked, there is less meaning to each one. That makes no sense at all. Having the top rank(Champion) in any playlist will be prestigious no matter what(especially Team Arena) and even more prestigious if they have multiple Champion rankings.

The point of having a ranking system to show overall skill. A SWAT Champion will not be as good as an HCS Champion, but to be fair, they are two different skills for two different experiences. On the other hand, I feel like an HCS Champion could get to the SWAT Champion rank while the reverse could not.

The ranking system shouldn't just be evaluating a players skill in their preferred experience, it should be defining what the game is at its most competitive level, and then categorizing players based on that competitive environment.

Clicked's post sums that up pretty well.

Champ if you get an Xbone I'll backpack you to Onyx the first day.  :kappa:  :kappa:

The Sustain PlanTM says until a year before the next Halo game is released, so they can build the hype for Halo 6.

FTFY.

• Upvote (+1) 3

wait is this for real?

Supposed to be. First indication was when they released the concept and showed a picture of the titles planned. Shadowrun was in the third or second row. The biggest issue for the program is that they need to approval of whatever developer or publisher owns that game, which is Microsoft, so they have their own approval to do it. Besides this I've talked to bill stillwater or w/e, the dude who had a heavy hand in the project and he said he can't disclose details but would let me know when he could about shadowrun's future. I'd assume if it was a no, then he'd say no, but it sounds like they're trying. Lastly, is a list thats found on a few sites that name the 100 games coming at the end of fall, Shadowrun is listed.

I take all of this with a huge grain of salt.

@@Clicked yeah I completely get this. Did no one see the :kappa: in my post?! There's no way I think SWAT should be ranked at all. Team Arena alone covers the only 4v4 ranking we need IMO

I've always hated SWAT, but many people like it, so why don't they deserve to have a ranking system like the others? SWAT players want competitive matchups and something to play for too.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Supposed to be. First indication was when they released the concept and showed a picture of the titles planned. Shadowrun was in the third or second row. The biggest issue for the program is that they need to approval of whatever developer or publisher owns that game, which is Microsoft, so they have their own approval to do it. Besides this I've talked to bill stillwater or w/e, the dude who had a heavy hand in the project and he said he can't disclose details but would let me know when he could about shadowrun's future. I'd assume if it was a no, then he'd say no, but it sounds like they're trying. Lastly, is a list thats found on a few sites that name the 100 games coming at the end of fall, Shadowrun is listed.

I take all of this with a huge grain of salt.

You should be worried about the FPS lag, which it will probably have.

- Spectator mode

- Free DLC

- Dedicated servers

- 60 FPS

- In depth ranking system

- Skillful starting weapon

- Accurate guns

- Good aiming

- Isolated competitive and casual experiences

- Best and most addictive unlock system in Halo's history

- Clan system

- 12 v 12 MOBA-style mode

- Flag juggling returns

- Seriously nerfed sprint

- Better radar

- FFA has no objective

- No guests

- Harsh quitting penalties

- Faster kill times on the whole

- Live spectate mode for your friends

- Tons of usable 4v4 maps off the bat

- Better stat tracking

I know there are negatives that people see. Whether it's a delayed forge, limited launch gametypes, easy sniping, breakout in HCS settings, no veto system, or whatever. But people who are like;

"LOL why should I believe dis Halo will b any different then teh last games????"

These people aren't getting the whole picture. The gameplay is good. The features are great. I don't think you can take that positives list and top it with anything that Halo 3, Reach, or 4 offered. Not with a non-biased perspective. We all have selective goggles on right now, we see what we want to see. But this isn't the Master Chief collection. The game quite obviously works. It worked almost a year ago, and priority one since that point has been to avoid another MCC launch. This game will play well, it will be supported, it will have longevity, and we will end up viewing this as the most successful Halo game at least since Halo 3.

I'm not saying you aren't allowed to say that you're skeptical, and that you don't want to preorder, or that you think the game totes sucks. I'm just saying you're wrong, and the proof is in the pudding with this game.

Lists like this have come out before every single Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 8

- Spectator mode

- Free DLC

- Dedicated servers

- 60 FPS

- In depth ranking system

- Skillful starting weapon

- Accurate guns

- Good aiming

- Isolated competitive and casual experiences

- Best and most addictive unlock system in Halo's history

- Clan system

- 12 v 12 MOBA-style mode

- Flag juggling returns

- Seriously nerfed sprint

- Better radar

- FFA has no objective

- No guests

- Harsh quitting penalties

- Faster kill times on the whole

- Live spectate mode for your friends

- Tons of usable 4v4 maps off the bat

- Better stat tracking

I know there are negatives that people see. Whether it's a delayed forge, limited launch gametypes, easy sniping, breakout in HCS settings, no veto system, or whatever. But people who are like;

"LOL why should I believe dis Halo will b any different then teh last games????"

These people aren't getting the whole picture. The gameplay is good. The features are great. I don't think you can take that positives list and top it with anything that Halo 3, Reach, or 4 offered. Not with a non-biased perspective. We all have selective goggles on right now, we see what we want to see. But this isn't the Master Chief collection. The game quite obviously works. It worked almost a year ago, and priority one since that point has been to avoid another MCC launch. This game will play well, it will be supported, it will have longevity, and we will end up viewing this as the most successful Halo game at least since Halo 3.

I'm not saying you aren't allowed to say that you're skeptical, and that you don't want to preorder, or that you think the game totes sucks. I'm just saying you're wrong, and the proof is in the pudding with this game.

The game looks polished and I have no doubt it will be a flawless online experience. They've done a lot of good things with almost every aspect of the game but my issue is; at the end of the day, is this going to be anything more than a really polished version of the camping, teamshot-only gameplay we've had before? That's the primary concern for me.

• Upvote (+1) 7

79 other Halo players agree.

As do the millions playing every other competitive game with a properly implemented League/Division system.

Yeah, right. You're staff and posted a big wall of text and everyone slammed the upvote button. I read that monstrosity and all I got out of it was "1 ranked playlist and everything else social". Thanks, but no thanks.

I'm not even saying it's bad or anything, I'm just saying I'm kinda done with Halo due to the prior fuck ups. Maybe this time will be different, I don't know, I haven't even LOOKED at the game. Literally, the only thing I have seen as far as H5 is concerned is campaign spoilers and the new forge. That is how dissuaded I am with 343, bungie and the franchise as a whole at this point- I have made absolutely no attempt to even remotely care about this game.

If after 6 months the game is solid, and the community is a good size, and there are tournaments going on... Then I'll give it a shot again, but until then, Halo is dead to me.

You should be worried about the FPS lag, which it will probably have.

Why would it have fps lag? Actual question, not trying to be a dick. I have avoided all things xbox for quite a while.

The game looks polished and I have no doubt it will be a flawless online experience. They've done a lot of good things with almost every aspect of the game but my issue is; at the end of the day, is this going to be anything more than a really polished version of the camping, teamshot-only gameplay we've had before? That's the primary concern for me.

I don't think it's going to be campy or teamshot only. My biggest concern is due to thruster, are we going to be able to finish our own kills consistently against really good players.

Sprint isn't even the issue here. It's been nerfed to shit. It's hardly an advantage anymore. Thruster is going to be the bitch.

But the game will still be great. It's no different to me than Halo 3 with getting screwed out of kills with the BR online, or Reach with bloom and people sprinting away, or with Halo 4 with slow kill times and sprint. I would rather have thruster jeopardize kill flow than the other main problems with the other games.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2