CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm so happy they decided against the single gameplay playlists this time around. I can't believe there was a standalone King of the Hill playlist for day one. Halo 5's day one lineup is much better.

I actually was looking at that menu option today wondering if it got removed. Heh.

Yeah, instead we get Breakout and no BTB. Much better....

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wonder how many default MM warriors are going to return for H5.

The only interesting thing about HCS using default settings is that it forces everyone into the same playlist. It was kind of dumb in H3 and Reach where people were split between the MLG list and the default lists.

I remember when H3 launched and there was no MLG list. It wasn't really the pros dominating MM. It was the online warriors. It'l be interesting to see how things shake down in the champions bracket.

The funny thing is that although they are using default settings they have separated HCS and regular into two different playlists, wasn't the entire freaking point so that you could bring as many people as possible into the competitive scene? Just stupid I think.

Why is this neg repped? Because he is a troll most of the time and you're negging because who he is?

I agree with what he said here. I wasn't able to play 90% of ps2 online games because I had dial up and they required broadband.

There should be new requirements today.

The ISP providers are far more at fault for this than anyone, I think its sad that gamers are essentially given crap connection speeds when they could easily be given twice the speed for the same price, annoying as hell.

The only reason Breakout has a standalone playlist is because it is brand new and has never been done before. If it still performs well post-launch, it'll probably stick around. If not, it'll go.

SWAT is there day one because SWAT has always been popular and always will be. I'm glad they aren't having it show up in Weekend Social first.

Definitely, but if grouping the two could have allowed for more launch playlists, like Team Doubles or Team Snipers, I would have preferred that.

On Weekend Social, I hope modes like Grifball and Infection are included in the voting options there early on, especially in light of the popularity of the latter that the image of Halo 4's launch playlists attests to.

Disappointed with no Weekend Social for the first weekend. The least that could have been done would to just introduce Team Snipers that Friday with Double EXP/REQ Points and see how it does

• Upvote (+1) 2

Definitely, but if grouping the two could have allowed for more launch playlists, like Team Doubles or Team Snipers, I would have preferred that.

On Weekend Social, I hope modes like Grifball and Infection are included in the voting options there early on, especially in light of the popularity of the latter that the image above of Halo 4's playlists attests to.

I'd expect Grifball and Infection to be some of the first weekend social playlists, provided the gametypes are in the game shortly after launch. Those are the two playlists that will keep thousands coming back.

I'd expect Grifball and Infection to be some of the first weekend social playlists, provided the gametypes are in the game shortly after launch. Those are the two playlists that will keep thousands coming back.

The main hole in our knowledge of Halo 5 at this point is, in my opinion (as it's basically confirmed that at this point that Campaign Theater/Scoring/Timing won't be present for launch at least), Custom Games. Are Breakout, Slayer, CTF and Strongholds the only Arena modes that will be in Halo 5 at launch, or just the only modes that will feature in matchmaking? (Alongside a host of other elements of customs we're unaware of.) I'd hope for some information from 343i about this, but I doubt they'd deem it worthy of an in-depth Waypoint blog.

The main hole in our knowledge of Halo 5 at this point is, in my opinion (as it's basically confirmed that at this point that Campaign Theater/Scoring/Timing won't be present for launch at least), Custom Games. Are Breakout, Slayer, CTF and Strongholds the only Arena modes that will be in Halo 5 at launch, or just the only modes that will feature in matchmaking? (Alongside a host of other elements of customs we're unaware of.) I'd hope for some information from 343i about this, but I doubt they'd deem it worthy of an in-depth Waypoint blog.

and if it's not worthy of a waypoint blog, it's probably lackluster, which if true is awful considering the backlash 343 got from the fans during halo 4.

Yeah, we're just going to need to wait until the 22nd when reviewers are streaming the multiplayer. 

If other gametypes like Oddball and KoTH were in, I'd figure we would have seen them at some point and there would be some commendations and achievements related to them.

Either way, can't wait to see some MP action on the 22nd.

It looks like HaloCharts is not coming back. However the developer is starting a new leaderboards site titled HaloForce.com .

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/3p43va/i_dont_think_i_have_it_in_me_to_do_halochartscom/

I've heard. He told me about some of his plans. Personally, I don't really mind what the name is as long as he can provide interesting stat tracking and leaderboards, and I know if Firestream (the person behind it) puts enough time into it, it can turn into an amazing site. I also understand not necessarily wanting to bring the same exact community that HaloCharts left behind. People were getting salty at the time HaloCharts shut down, some people left on sour notes.

Regardless, if the website is good, I think a community (perhaps not necessarily on the site) will form itself around it anyway.

I'm going to politely disagree strongly. While I don't think there needs to be tons of ranked lists, at the very least there should be a 4v4 list, 2v2 list, and ffa list all ranked in my opinion.

If you read the OP I agree with you lol.

I'd be okay with either 1 or a few, but the ranked playlists need to be minimal.

I've heard. He told me about some of his plans. Personally, I don't really mind what the name is as long as he can provide interesting stat tracking and leaderboards, and I know if Firestream (the person behind it) puts enough time into it, it can turn into an amazing site. I also understand not necessarily wanting to bring the same exact community that HaloCharts left behind. People were getting salty at the time HaloCharts shut down, some people left on sour notes.

Regardless, if the website is good, I think a community (perhaps not necessarily on the site) will form itself around it anyway.

I hope that we do get a good replacement for HaloCharts. I know if Force doesn't become what people want it to, another will certainly pop up. That'll probably repeat till we have a decent set of options. This happened with Halo 3, and I remember parts of the community being split like they were warring factions.

• Upvote (+1) 1

and if it's not worthy of a waypoint blog, it's probably lackluster, which if true is awful considering the backlash 343 got from the fans during halo 4.

There was also considerable backlash regarding the lack of Campaign Theater. I can't find it, but I remember the speedrunner RCMaster sent 343i an email/letter about the issue of its absence and how negatively it would impact the speedrunning community and shared it via YouTube at the time (I couldn't find the video), and, as far as I'm aware, he no longer speedruns Halo (at least in any public capacity). Despite that, Campaign Theater never came to Halo 4 post-launch, and isn't present in Halo 5 either.

Yeah, we're just going to need to wait until the 22nd when reviewers are streaming the multiplayer. 

If other gametypes like Oddball and KoTH were in, I'd figure we would have seen them at some point and there would be some commendations and achievements related to them.

Either way, can't wait to see some MP action on the 22nd.

The lack of commendations in particular is likely indicative of their absence, though many of the mode-specific commendations do specify 'in matchmaking' so there may be hope yet (as much as I doubt it).

I'm mainly interested in seeing some of the maps, particularly to see what changes have been made to beta maps that aren't Empire (especially Orion and Pegasus).

So are there only four gametypes in the actual Custom Games as well? I've had mixed responses about that.

Before the game went gold, there were other gametypes. However, they were just variants of said gametypes. (Neutral Flag, etc)

I can't find the screenshot or else I'd post it but it was in one of h0lmb0m's videos I believe.

Id have to agree.

Resetting the ranks are fine, but I dont think it should be so regular. Like someone else mentioned in this thread, if he resets to often then it doesnt give people time to play every playlist, so people will start grinding 1 or 2 playlists to make sure they get a high rank.

Where if it reset every 6 months or even a year then you've ample time to get ... Onyx ? in every playlist. And throughout that time you could be fighting to keep your rank.

If it resets to quickly its more of a race and less of a fight to keep your rank. If the life span of the game is 3 years then 3-5 resets would be fine

Monthly is far too frequent. I think once a quarter or every 6 months would be better. Like you said, why would people play 4-5 playlists when their rank just resets by the time they do placements in each one if they don't have the time to grind out games every day? Like myself, I am able to game ab 1.5-2 hours a night, which isn't very many games. By the time I do placements in a couple of the playlists, I'll really only have ~3 weeks to play and rank up before being reset. A month long "season" just doesn't feel right. I'm assuming they are doing this to keep people playing every month, but there's a chance it could have the opposite affect on people by making them feel like their grinding was pointless.

what exactly is the difference between halocharts and halotracker??

Halo tracker seem to have a good team behind it workin on the whole tracker series. BF/Destiny/Cod ect...

If you read the OP I agree with you lol.

I'd be okay with either 1 or a few, but the ranked playlists need to be minimal.

Especially on a one month reset rotation.... 

Why am I going to play more than one playlist if all that's going to happen is it resets at the end of the month? If I had time to play 5-6 hours a day that's one thing, but as an adult with a full time job and family and getting 1.5-2 hours a day after the family goes to bed by cutting that time out of my sleep, it seems totally pointless to not just play 1, maybe 2 playlists.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Monthly is far too frequent. I think once a quarter or every 6 months would be better. Like you said, why would people play 4-5 playlists when their rank just resets by the time they do placements in each one if they don't have the time to grind out games every day? Like myself, I am able to game ab 1.5-2 hours a night, which isn't very many games. By the time I do placements in a couple of the playlists, I'll really only have ~3 weeks to play and rank up before being reset. A month long "season" just doesn't feel right. I'm assuming they are doing this to keep people playing every month, but there's a chance it could have the opposite affect on people by making them feel like their grinding was pointless.

Honestly, 6 months might be a little too long if what they are trying to do is keep people playing. I think meeting in the middle of that at 3 months would be ideal. It could give you more than enough time to place into your division and then grind to see how far you can get. Then at the end of that 3 months if you have improved your gameplay, then you can hopefully place into a higher division right off the bat. 

what exactly is the difference between halocharts and halotracker??

Halo tracker seem to have a good team behind it workin on the whole tracker series. BF/Destiny/Cod ect...

In the grand scheme of things, they're pretty similar. Both offer in-depth stat tracking, leaderboards and have communities behind it. Their respective methods of calculating site score are a bit different though, but all things considered, they have similar goals.

There's definitely a great team behind HaloTracker as well, I just have been invested in HaloCharts for a lot longer than I have been with HaloTracker. I still use their sites a lot; I'm often on DestinyTracker for instance.

Hope Halo 5 can hold a better population than Halo 4.

we all do Schnn, we all do...

Why don't they just do a ranked/social split like in Halo 3? Have a dual ranking system where you rank up in both.

I don't see how that is hard to do. Halo 3's playlist structure pleased everybody just copy and paste that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hope Halo 5 can hold a better population than Halo 4.

We need forge on day 1 to keep the community alive. Shutting off the custom game community for two months is going to leave a mark. We need the full game on day 1. We can't have 50% of the game released on launch especially since they are already done with these features and refusing to release it later as "free DLC".