CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Point being, Halo 3's matchmaking formula worked. Deviations from that formula have resulted in matchmaking populations a fraction of the size of H3. That is a fact.

While not the only contributing factor, I think it is a very large part of it.

In the video where the guy from 343 is pulling up population numbers in a powerpoint presentation (don't remember what its called to link to it) he tried to show that Halo's MP population has started leaning towards BTB over 4v4. The reason for this isn't that that is necessarily the preferred way to play Halo, it's that there were not very many good 4v4 maps, settings, or playlists for Halo 4 to keep that population around. If Throwdown had been there at launch I might have stuck around to actually play the game. As it stood, I know of 6 people personally that played 2-3 days of MP and just stopped, so I know there were possibly thousands and thousands more that got a bad taste from the lack of good maps and settings from the get go that never looked back. Same with Reach. Not having the playlists for how I enjoy playing Halo in the game was awful, and Reach pushed me to CoD and Halo 4 pushed me to League of Legends. 

Here's hoping Halo 5 can bring me back to console because if it sucks I'm selling my xbox one. Or smashing it with a hammer, which I would probably enjoy more.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Unless you mean the very very beginning before MLG settings existed at all then it was probably because they were running customs. I miss the days of people getting on and not actually playing MM at all and instead running customs with your friend's list all day

But here's the thing, you never had to get a custom lobby together to get good games because ranked matchmaking did that for you.

I wonder how many default MM warriors are going to return for H5.

The only interesting thing about HCS using default settings is that it forces everyone into the same playlist. It was kind of dumb in H3 and Reach where people were split between the MLG list and the default lists.

I remember when H3 launched and there was no MLG list. It wasn't really the pros dominating MM. It was the online warriors. It'l be interesting to see how things shake down in the champions bracket.

That's if the starting weapons are the correct ones for competitive play.

The article said "You get a fresh start each month to try to prove yourself in select Seasonal Arena playlists."

That wording sounds to me like only certain playlists will be reset each month. I'm not sure if i'm right, but that's my guess.

Would make me very happy and I think everyone would profit from it. No need to reset all ranks.

@@Sal1ent pls

Found out about the CSR ranking, I guess I've grown up and really don't care about visible rankings anymore but if I had to choose a system I would probably go about going back to the old halo 2 playlists that had basically a social and competitive version of all the playlists as well as clan wars playlists

only downside is with that ranking system once you got into the higher ranks tended to get matches with modders,standbyers and the likes every other game.  Only gametype I used to play religiously was ranked big team battle and ended up making top 100 ranked with mainly having a 55 percent win ratio (which put me as the only one in the ratings at the top 100 due the fact that ties equated to losses and at higher ranked matches it was normal back then to end in a tie) 

basically I stopped playing that playlist due to cheats and not sure why they did it as it only gave you a ranked number with no real rewards, but in the end with the clan system I was able to go back by doing big team clan when a good number of people from my matches that were all high ranked formed a big team clan group which we ended up climbing fairly fast.

idk, ranking systems have the ability to promote ppl to cheat and they have the ability to force ppl to not play with their friends with an offchance of possibly increasing ppl to play by adding rewards, kinda doomed if you do, doomed if you don't

if your gonna put in a ranking system they need to at least split them up, and I would recommend a clan ranked playlist as well as it will statistically have a lower chance of ppl cheating (at least that was my experience in halo 2 days)

Halo 3 population from 2007 to 2009 = 400,000+ consistently. The day before Reach launched, it still managed to pull 200,000 players. 

The thought that Halo 3's ranked populations were dead before rank 40 is nonsense. Those 25 accounts loaded on my 360 where I ranked peoples accounts from 1-50 beg to differ. 

Point being, Halo 3's matchmaking formula worked. Deviations from that formula have resulted in matchmaking populations a fraction of the size of H3. That is a fact.

I wasn't talking in the past tense brah

It's common sense that if your connection sucks, you should not be searching matchmaking.

Why is this neg repped? Because he is a troll most of the time and you're negging because who he is?

I agree with what he said here. I wasn't able to play 90% of ps2 online games because I had dial up and they required broadband.

There should be new requirements today.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wasn't talking in the past tense brah

Gotcha, but I'm not sure if bringing up Halo 3's current population #s are relevant 8 years after the fact when trying to discuss playlist/mm/ranking issues.

Why is this neg repped? Because he is a troll most of the time and you're negging because who he is?

I agree with what he said here. I wasn't able to play 90% of ps2 online games because I had dial up and they required broadband.

There should be new requirements today.

Nah, it's just because it's a pointless statement, in my opinion.

How many people actually play Xbox Live with a dial-up connection?

DSL and Cable are fine for online, granted if you're on DSL and not doing anything else but gaming on it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Gotcha, but I'm not sure if bringing up Halo 3's current population #s are relevant 8 years after the fact when trying to discuss playlist/mm/ranking issues.

pretty relevant hwen games from 15+ years still have good matchmaking

When is the next "The Sprint" episode? It's been a while since the last one.....

October 26th. Episodes 3 and 4 come out on that date.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The more gameplay I watch the more hyped I become and I don't even own the console yet  :lol:

Also listening to the H3 soundtrack for the nostalgia feels

The more gameplay I watch the more hyped I become and I don't even own the console yet  :lol:

Also listening to the H3 soundtrack for the nostalgia feels

Anyone else dodging the campaign gameplay entirely? I don't see any point in watching it. Fans like us who know everything about each mechanic and weapon are not learning anything new. It's just spoiling the campaign, nothing else.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Unless you mean the very very beginning before MLG settings existed at all then it was probably because they were running customs. I miss the days of people getting on and not actually playing MM at all and instead running customs with your friend's list all day

They played a lot of customs but they also played MM. And they were consistently beaten by online warriors.

Anyone else dodging the campaign gameplay entirely? I don't see any point in watching it. Fans like us who know everything about each mechanic and weapon are not learning anything new. It's just spoiling the campaign, nothing else.

I wasn't really planning on going through the campaign so I figured I'd watch some streams of it or look for some spoilers.

The irony is that I couldn't find any big spoilers after specifically searching for them for a few minutes, so I gave up. Granted, this was about last week, I assume it'd be easier now.

Well we'll never know because they never tried it.

I think it would have improved by miles, even with a shitty Division system.

Reach arena used the same settings as Reach "social" and the social playlists drew like 99% of the population. Compared to H3 ranked and H3 social where social drew only like 60% of the population.

Having just one, segregated ranked playlist makes it feel tacked on and irrelevant.

Ya. I have barely watched any of it.

Don't see the point.

I've come to the realization that I'm never going to reach Champion. Maybe I'll have a shot if I grind FFA or Breakout but I doubt it. I'll be happy if I get to Onyx but I don't even see that happening. And that's a GOOD thing. I've been playing Halo since '01 and legitimately got to a 46 in Halo 2, and I'm no where near the cream of the crop. The Champion rank is the best thing that has ever happened to online Halo IMO. It's an extremely exclusive list that will be occupied by pros and other top players that will be able to make a name for themselves. This ranking system is the new FFA. If someone is Champion(in Team Arena), they are fucking good at the game. Plain and simple. Pro players will notice you and if not, you can find other players in Champion and form a team. It's not like a Halo 3 50 where everyone has one.

I had a Pro status in every playlist during the beta, it won't be hard for me at all.   :kappa: