CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I was talking to some of the Beyond staff about this and I think this will be the first time in 10 years that I'll be playing the Halo multiplayer before the campaign. The Arena seems like it's gonna be addicting and Warzone looks like some great casual fun. Not sure where I'll start though.

...Fuck I'm gonna need another Xbox One AND two HALO 5's because I want to play them both at the same time.

Campaign all day everyday until I finish it. Then I will play Team Arena until I run out of Doritos.

I can never figure out whether I want to play Multiplayer or campaign first. By the way is looking it's going to be a hard choice. 

Just saying, the quicker you play the campaign, the less likely you'll get spoiled. That's why I've always played it first.

Next time, pick a topic you actually know something about.

u sound bootystung. My point still stands: Canon refers to whatever the original author(s) produce, unless noted otherwise. 

343i are not the original authors of the Halo history. Their works are noncanon. 

dude you can't be serious, de rank 2 levels if you lag out...that's insane.

Don't play matchmaking if you know your connection sucks.You'll ruin it for all.

• Downvote (-1) 17

Xbox was my #1 with all the Halo series, until Reach/H4 then I finally pursued a PS4 after giving up totally on Halo. I have been out of the loop for some time now, and was wondering if it's even worth getting back into such as a Xbox One with Halo 5 release approaching? I don't know what to expect. Can someone provide me with some opinions whom are in the same situation as I am?

Thanks yo!

depends on if you see h5 as a halo game. if not then the xbox one isn't well rounded yet, and doesn't have a good line-up of games yet. reach was borderline for me, if it was on the new console i wouldn't of got it, though it felt like a more outcast halo game to me, i still had fun playing, just the additions that have now taken a staple in the new games were the things i hated. h4 and h5 don't really feel like halo, if you're going by the original 3 as the standard, it feels more like an interpretation / rendition more than anything, if you don't like other modern console shooters atm then i doubt you'll like this game.

Xbox was my #1 with all the Halo series, until Reach/H4 then I finally pursued a PS4 after giving up totally on Halo. I have been out of the loop for some time now, and was wondering if it's even worth getting back into such as a Xbox One with Halo 5 release approaching? I don't know what to expect. Can someone provide me with some opinions whom are in the same situation as I am?

Thanks yo!

Don't do it. Halo 5 will launch without key playlists that you'll have to wait weeks to play in matchmaking. It will also launch without FORGE. Not to mention look at the mess the Master Chief Collection is and how 343i has handled that. What makes them deserve your money after all that? 

Halo 5 will also have sprint and sprint-influenced (aka ruined) launch maps with all types of problems such as geometry being to big, angles being fucked, jumps being fucked, etc. That means you'll have to wait even longer AFTER they release Forge to get some decent competitive maps... by then the population will be nearing zero. 

If you're a Halo fiend (doesn't sound like it), the least you can do is wait till Halo 5 is finally a full game and just buy it used or borrowed from a buddy (trust me, they won't put up a fight at that point). You don't strike me as the average mindless consumer that post here, so I don't think I need to advise you beyond this post. 

Good luck, and if the temptation gets too hard to resist, look at the MCC threads on reddit and here. Specifically the bug threads.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I was talking to some of the Beyond staff about this and I think this will be the first time in 10 years that I'll be playing the Halo multiplayer before the campaign. The Arena seems like it's gonna be addicting and Warzone looks like some great casual fun. Not sure where I'll start though.

to me that says something about the campaign more than the multiplayer  :kappa:

Thanks yo!

Have you explored PC as an option? ;)

But really, just wait to see how Halo 5 launches. Dropping $500 for a dust collector and a potential mediocre game is completely possible.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Thanks yo!

People with press copies are able to play and stream all aspects of multiplayer on the 22nd. Give it a watch and decide then I'd say

Thanks yo!

I was in the same situation as you. Gave up on Halo and jumped ship to PS4. I eventually traded in my PS4 for an XB1 because H5 looks decent. Halo just has a grip on me where so long as it's not a total dumpster fire(Halo 4) it is more appealing than any other game.

It also helps that the PS4 doesn't really have any games on the horizon that interested me.

Agree with all of this. 

Having said that, MLG playlist level 50's to me were prestigious. Those players were the cream of the crop. Not being able to grind through every playlist to achieve a level 50 is something that is going to be very disheartening. It's one of the many contributing factors for me disliking, and thus quitting Reach early in it's life cycle.  I struggled through H3 for months and months to get 50's in TS, TD, Swat, and MLG. I topped out at a 49 and 48 in LW and Snipers. I loved the longevity and struggle of trying to reach those ranks (especially the MLG 50), and running across so many familiar players in those playlists that were going through the same struggle of trying to increase their rank. I will miss that completely. 

This new system, like Reach, lacks the incentive to continue playing, unless your striving to be in the top 200, which as you stated, won't happen for a lot of players. Time is a huge constraint for many in this community as many core fans are now adults with responsibilities. I'd love to crank out 30-40 games a day 3-4 days a week, but that just isn't possible anymore for me. For the first time ever, I'm approaching Halo 5 with the expectations to play the game casually rather than competitively. I'm tired of bitching about the direction that Halo is going, and hoping for the next title to rekindle those amazing memories that I had in my late teens, early 20's. It's time to accept that those days for me will just be amazing memories, impossible to relive, and for the future, I need to change my expectations for my favorite franchise so that I can finally enjoy it for what it is. 

I've come to the realization that I'm never going to reach Champion. Maybe I'll have a shot if I grind FFA or Breakout but I doubt it. I'll be happy if I get to Onyx but I don't even see that happening. And that's a GOOD thing. I've been playing Halo since '01 and legitimately got to a 46 in Halo 2, and I'm no where near the cream of the crop. The Champion rank is the best thing that has ever happened to online Halo IMO. It's an extremely exclusive list that will be occupied by pros and other top players that will be able to make a name for themselves. This ranking system is the new FFA. If someone is Champion(in Team Arena), they are fucking good at the game. Plain and simple. Pro players will notice you and if not, you can find other players in Champion and form a team. It's not like a Halo 3 50 where everyone has one.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 4

It's common sense that if your connection sucks, you should not be searching matchmaking. 

Why are you on these forums again? All I see from you is negativity.

It's common sense that if your connection sucks, you should not be searching matchmaking. 

It's common sense that if you can't post on forums successfully, you should not be posting. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

this has been interesting to obverse and chat im enjoying this site and forum :)

btw would anyone like some popcorn while we wait for some MP mayhem this week

popcorn_stephen_colbert.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1

Probably going to play campaign first, that's what I have done with all the past Halo's, may slip into a few quick Arena matches after the first couple missions then finish the campaign later that day.

i hope they fix the respawns with team arena slayer FFA etc i know it might be a miner/small thing lets be real here we all usually hate it when someone spawn traps like a pleb

Why are you on these forums again? All I see from you is negativity.

I've had many pleasant discussions on this forum. You don't have to be a blind Halo fanboy/343 shill to enjoy this board.

It's common sense that if you can't post on forums successfully, you should not be posting. 

Thanks for the wisdom buttercup

wanna help me do my taxes next?

For the first time ever, I'm jumping into multiplayer first. I'm going to play my placement matches in Team Arena and then hopefully (but probably not) go into campaign. I'm definitely going to end up wanting to keep grinding my rank though haha

Probably going to play campaign first, that's what I have done with all the past Halo's, may slip into a few quick Arena matches after the first couple missions then finish the campaign later that day.

Same, I usually don't touch the MP of any game until I've finished the campaign.

I would be so happy if tey wouldnt reset the rank in all playlists. I mean... Is there really a point to reset Big Team or SWAT ranks every month?

If they would reset the HCS ranks and leave the Team Slayer ranks for example, I think that would make everyone happy. No?

And seasons definitly need to take longer.

• Upvote (+1) 1