CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

In comparison to the pistol. Not PWs.

The AR isn't OP, the pistol is too weak.

4sk and the main problem with the sandbox is fixed.

Well except the sniper bullet magnetism and spawn timer... which I doubt 343 has changed since nothing has been said about it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Anyone who reaches Champion needs to get a special emblem

i like the ranking system but the resets are kinda annoying... imagine getting top 200 and they reset you after a month! Hope they add something in to show the highest rank achieved or something 

Id have to agree.

Resetting the ranks are fine, but I dont think it should be so regular. Like someone else mentioned in this thread, if he resets to often then it doesnt give people time to play every playlist, so people will start grinding 1 or 2 playlists to make sure they get a high rank.

Where if it reset every 6 months or even a year then you've ample time to get ... Onyx ? in every playlist. And throughout that time you could be fighting to keep your rank.

If it resets to quickly its more of a race and less of a fight to keep your rank. If the life span of the game is 3 years then 3-5 resets would be fine

• Upvote (+1) 1

4v4 isn't exactly the issue with teamshooting though.

Forgot to multiquote (noob) but I never said that 4v4 is the problem with it. What I said was more people are going to be watching sightlines, which means higher possibility of teamshooting happening. I personally don't have a problem with teamshooting, I only have a problem with it when it's the sole thing the meta resolves around, which is not the case in H5 at all.

Forgot to multiquote (noob) but I never said that 4v4 is the problem with it. What I said was more people are going to be watching sightlines, which means higher possibility of teamshooting happening. I personally don't have a problem with teamshooting, I only have a problem with it when it's the sole thing the meta resolves around, which is not the case in H5 at all.

Oh, I see.

Which maps? Derelict? Wizard? Serious question.

Well, Pris and Dere are literal death traps. There are setups on the other maps though at very high levels of play. Like for example, you don't both want to be in Shotty in CO or you're gonna have a bad time.

The gameplay looks really easy and boring though, so it would make me not want to look around the levels at all anyway.

Your joking right? CE is a breeze. 1sk hunters, plethora of powerups and ammunition (the game was made for 2 players and not 1)

One thing CE did do a far better job in comparison with all the other games in the series are the AI, the elites in that game were actually dangerous and could easily destroy you, you had to be very careful with them or else you would get rekt.

As for Halo 2 its clearly the most difficult halo SP the series has had so far, but for all the wrong reasons. Snipedown jackals, respawning enemies (sometimes nonstop) and an entire sandbox that is practically worthless with very little ammo all make H2 ridiculous to play. I think its also funny that you mention noob combo in H2 as if it wasn't in CE, noob combo was even more effective in CE because it had better tracking and range.

Halo 5 looks to be one of the easiest halo games yet, but I guess for the right reasons this time around. The hunters are the only enemies that genuinely look more challenging to face than in previous iterations, the deflect nades and they have an alternate firing mechanism which means they have more options at their disposal than before. Knights are 1sk from back I believe. Everything else looks pretty much the way you would expect them to be. One of the things I would love 343i to do is patch it post launch to be more challenging, I know they won't but that would be great if they would.

Idk I found once you got around the Jackal snipers and played smart the game was actually pretty easy. The only memorable hard parts for me in the campaign were those infinite spawning Jackals on Metropolis and the beginning section of Gravemind. And all you really had to do is play patiently and you win. The checkpoints are really generous in H2 so you have more room for error and many parts of the game you could just run through without even needing to shoot. I see what you mean by having scarce ammo but honestly never had a problem with it after Cairo station where I realized that I need to make every bullet count. Also the plasma pistol had the craziest bullet magnetism in the entire series.

CE on the other hand wasn't so generous with checkpoints and constantly was out of pistol ammo it seemed but maybe because I was playing with a partner so when I respawned I lost it all unlike in Halo 2 when I died I still kept my weapons because I was soloing. Also it seemed like enemies were just sponging my bullets most of the time. I am probably not going to dare to attempt to solo CE because of the challenge it gave my friend and I. Sure it wasn't insanely hard but I believe its the hardest in the series.

I had more fun playing the Halo 2 campaign as well because I found ways to get creative by skipping many enemies like on the final mission where there was a full room of brutes I had to know who to stick and where to go invisible. Halo 2 was probably my favorite campaign tbh maybe tied with Halo 3's.  If Halo 5 allows us to play the campaign while its downloading the updates I will begin my solo legendary run of that game and see how it stacks up.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well, Pris and Dere are literal death traps. There are setups on the other maps though at very high levels of play. Like for example, you don't both want to be in Shotty in CO or you're gonna have a bad time.

But those are not anything close to the types of setups which happen in the later halo games. It's not like lockout, where the game literally revolves around having someone watch bottom mid through window, and teamshotting anyone who tries to get across. 

How can you possibly be sure of that at this point? There is literally no high level h5 gameplay out yet. Disorganized gameplay can even make lockout look interesting, so I'm not sure how you can assert this definitively.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well except the sniper bullet magnetism and spawn timer... which I doubt 343 has changed since nothing has been said about it.

making the pistol 4sk would make it more difficult for a person using snipe to get kills, and so it would essentially kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

@@Sal1ent please.

Idk I found once you got around the Jackal snipers and played smart the game was actually pretty easy. The only memorable hard parts for me in the campaign were those infinite spawning Jackals on Metropolis and the beginning section of Gravemind. And all you really had to do is play patiently and you win. The checkpoints are really generous in H2 so you have more room for error and many parts of the game you could just run through without even needing to shoot. I see what you mean by having scarce ammo but honestly never had a problem with it after Cairo station where I realized that I need to make every bullet count. Also the plasma pistol had the craziest bullet magnetism in the entire series.

CE on the other hand wasn't so generous with checkpoints and constantly was out of pistol ammo it seemed but maybe because I was playing with a partner so when I respawned I lost it all unlike in Halo 2 when I died I still kept my weapons because I was soloing. Also it seemed like enemies were just sponging my bullets most of the time. I am probably not going to dare to attempt to solo CE because of the challenge it gave my friend and I. Sure it wasn't insanely hard but I believe its the hardest in the series.

I had more fun playing the Halo 2 campaign as well because I found ways to get creative by skipping many enemies like on the final mission where there was a full room of brutes I had to know who to stick and where to go invisible. Halo 2 was probably my favorite campaign tbh maybe tied with Halo 3's.  If Halo 5 allows us to play the campaign while its downloading the updates I will begin my solo legendary run of that game and see how it stacks up.

Ok I see where your coming from with this. When I played H2 I would just kill off all the enemies then advance, I rarely ever tried to go around or evade the encounter entirely. So I believe you just played the game differently than I did, and that's why you had an easier time with it. CE for me was one of the easiest, I suppose because I could go into decimate enemies much easier than I could in other halo games. I never tried to just speedrun or anything like that throughout the games so I guess we just see things differently.

My favorite campaign was Reach, not so much for the story, but I loved the gameplay (AA's and bloom actually worked the way they were supposed to in SP btw) as for Halo 5 I imagine it being an absolute breeze with friends, mainly because of the DBNO mechanic. If you were to play it alone it could be challenging simply because your bot buddies look like completely ignoramuses and so you are pretty much on your own.

• Upvote (+1) 1

But those are not anything close to the types of setups which happen in the later halo games. It's not like lockout, where the game literally revolves around having someone watch bottom mid through window, and teamshotting anyone who tries to get across. 

You think H5 is going to play lockout slow? Lel

Semantics.

We agree. Just word the problem differently.

• Downvote (-1) 1

This should be good. Can't wait to see the result in the morning.

Ruined. I don't get hangovers. And whats the bullshit argument for today?

Answering some ranking questions from earlier, some of them got answered but just some clarification  :grunt:

So, about the ranking system I have a question:

If I play my 10 matches and get bronze 1, and my friends that hasn't placed yet searches with me, what kind of enemies will we match? Will they stay true to my rank (bronze), giving my partner and really good chance of winning his 10 placement matches? Or will they be random like normal placement and forget my personal rank in order to give fair placement? This is kinda important.

If I had to guess, it will probably be more on the side of your skill level. Perhaps it might extend a little to Silver or Gold to see if both of you can win those games. However, if it matches you with pure Bronze for all 10 matches and your friend drops +20 or +30 the system is going to realize he doesn't belong there haha. It might hamper his placement a bit but he won't get placed in Bronze.

Let's say I grind and play well and win and all that shenanigans and I get into the top 200 which is Onyx? and I'm like 174th or whatever and I stop playing for like a week for school/work/personal reasons; will my rank drop and will I drop out of the top 200 or do I have to actively be playing to maintain that rank?

I've heard stuff about not being able to lose ranks and only increase. Not sure how true that is so if someone can clarify that would be amazing.

This was answered but I'm going to clarify a bit more.

Once you get to Diamond 6 and keep winning you get pushed into the final Division, which is Onyx. The Top 200 people within the Onyx division get the Champion label. Therefore, if you are 190 lets say, and 20 new people make it up to Onyx and keep playing, they will surpass you eventually if they are beating higher ranked players. Your actual ELO won't degrade, but if people pass your raw score then yes, you will drop down. If there are 200 people who are better than you by the time you come back, then you will lose the Champion title and drop to Onyx.

The stuff about not being able to lose ranks is a bit strangely worded. You can lose your sub-tier ranks. You can't lose your Division rank. Therefore if you spend all week grinding from Gold 1 to Gold 6 and you are struggling to make it and finally win enough to make it to Plat 1, it isn't going to kick you back down to Gold if you immediately lose your next game. Therefore if you just keep continually losing you will never drop down back to Gold (because you earned it by winning all those games previous), it just means that you won't progress any higher into Plat. You keep losing, your stuck at Plat 1.

So once I hit diamond I will not drop bellow diamond no mater what?

Within that Season, yes. But you would have had to grind a ton in Plat to make it there.

so even in the next season, after the ranks were reset,  you will not be placed below diamond?

This was answered, but no. Each new Season can place you anywhere depending on how you perform. 

How big is everyones preload right now? Mines 46. 

45.2  :holmes:

Mines 46 too. Now to wait for that day one patch to come out.

We figured out last week that this is a placebo. Delete and re-install Halo 5 and it should start downloading a VERY slow 55GB. This is the real version of the game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I've come k the realization that I'm never going to reach Champion. Maybe I'll have a shot if I grind FFA or Breakout but I doubt it. I'll be happy if I get to Onyx but I don't even see that happening. And that's a GOOD thing. I've been playing Halo since '01 and legitimately got to a 46 in Halo 2, and I'm no where near the cream of the crop. The Champion rank is the best thing that has ever happened to online Halo IMO. It's an extremely exclusive list that will be occupied by pros and other top players that will be able to make a name for themselves. This ranking system is the new FFA. If someone is Champion(in Team Arena), they are fucking good at the game. Plain and simple. Pro players will notice you and if not, you can find other players in Champion and form a team. It's not like a Halo 3 50 where everyone has one.

Great post.

I've come k the realization that I'm never going to reach Champion.

Me too :'(

And this is what excites me. I'm totally going to try my heart out in hopes of reaching that Champion rank.The odds are stacked against me, but that's what will keep me coming back for more. I have fun competing, learning, and improving. Watching that rank slowly go up over time will be so rewarding as long as it works.

Yeah I agree, the pistol is pretty underpowered with it being 5 shot with its limited range. If they make it a 4sk I would be all over it but at the moment I personally prefer BR starts. Yes people I know what you are going to say, I know it has a faster kill time but realistically the pistol probably won't out gun a BR user the majority of the time. It may have a faster kill time on paper just like the Halo 4 magnum did but the average kill times will be higher than if we had BR starts. However, I'm going to see how the first week of Halo 5 plays out with pistol starts and maybe it will change my mind but we'll see.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The AR isnt too powerful, it just has too much range imo

Answering some ranking questions from earlier, some of them got answered but just some clarification  :grunt:

If I had to guess, it will probably be more on the side of your skill level. Perhaps it might extend a little to Silver or Gold to see if both of you can win those games. However, if it matches you with pure Bronze for all 10 matches and your friend drops +20 or +30 the system is going to realize he doesn't belong there haha. It might hamper his placement a bit but he won't get placed in Bronze.

This was answered but I'm going to clarify a bit more.

Once you get to Diamond 6 and keep winning you get pushed into the final Division, which is Onyx. The Top 200 people within the Onyx division get the Champion label. Therefore, if you are 190 lets say, and 20 new people make it up to Onyx and keep playing, they will surpass you eventually if they are beating higher ranked players. Your actual ELO won't degrade, but if people pass your raw score then yes, you will drop down. If there are 200 people who are better than you by the time you come back, then you will lose the Champion title and drop to Onyx.

The stuff about not being able to lose ranks is a bit strangely worded. You can lose your sub-tier ranks. You can't lose your Division rank. Therefore if you spend all week grinding from Gold 1 to Gold 6 and you are struggling to make it and finally win enough to make it to Plat 1, it isn't going to kick you back down to Gold if you immediately lose your next game. Therefore if you just keep continually losing you will never drop down back to Gold (because you earned it by winning all those games previous), it just means that you won't progress any higher into Plat. You keep losing, your stuck at Plat 1.

Within that Season, yes. But you would have had to grind a ton in Plat to make it there.

This was answered, but no. Each new Season can place you anywhere depending on how you perform. 

We figured out last week that this is a placebo. Delete and re-install Halo 5 and it should start downloading a VERY slow 55GB. This is the real version of the game.

The game is 46GB right now until the MP patch drops on the 22nd, which is 9GB and will bring the game up to 55GB. 

@@Infinity

I've done that several times now, no dice, still the 46gb install. 

Your game should only be 46GB now, don't worry about it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Before you make people waste their bandwidth cap anymore let's all establish it's still 46.2 GBs

I've come k the realization that I'm never going to reach Champion. Maybe I'll have a shot if I grind FFA or Breakout but I doubt it. I'll be happy if I get to Onyx but I don't even see that happening. And that's a GOOD thing. I've been playing Halo since '01 and legitimately got to a 46 in Halo 2, and I'm no where near the cream of the crop. The Champion rank is the best thing that has ever happened to online Halo IMO. It's an extremely exclusive list that will be occupied by pros and other top players that will be able to make a name for themselves. This ranking system is the new FFA. If someone is Champion(in Team Arena), they are fucking good at the game. Plain and simple. Pro players will notice you and if not, you can find other players in Champion and form a team. It's not like a Halo 3 50 where everyone has one.

agreed.

i'd be happy with just diamond myself

I've come to the realization that I'm never going to reach Champion. Maybe I'll have a shot if I grind FFA or Breakout but I doubt it. I'll be happy if I get to Onyx but I don't even see that happening. And that's a GOOD thing. I've been playing Halo since '01 and legitimately got to a 46 in Halo 2, and I'm no where near the cream of the crop. The Champion rank is the best thing that has ever happened to online Halo IMO. It's an extremely exclusive list that will be occupied by pros and other top players that will be able to make a name for themselves. This ranking system is the new FFA. If someone is Champion(in Team Arena), they are fucking good at the game. Plain and simple. Pro players will notice you and if not, you can find other players in Champion and form a team. It's not like a Halo 3 50 where everyone has one.

I'm pretty excited to see where I actually stack up. I had a 38 in Team Hardcore H2 and a 49 in TS in Halo 3 and both of those times I thought that meant I was pretty good. Then I would join customs with folks from these boards and just get steam rolled. I feel like this ranking system will give people a much better idea of where they are skill wise and give you a good idea of who you should be playing with.

I would be thrilled to get to Diamond but really I just want to have meaningful games so I can enjoy the little time I get to play.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's kind of in spoiler territory. There's a post with the misson descriptions in /r/Halo if you wish to see it. But lets just say that we might already know what the biggest complaint of the Halo 5 story will be. No way that is going to be taken well by the community.

Can you PM me the ratio of missions please? I don't want the bames of the missions or anything else spoiled... Pretty please! :)

It will take a while for me to get back into Halo (and console gaming in general) but I'm pretty confident I could get Champion at some stage. Had a 50 in TS and 48 in MLG back in H3, and was regularly playing with + against pros at that stage with varying outcomes (beat Elamite, got thrashed by Naded etc. etc.). Also stacked up well in customs

Looking forward to getting back to it