CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Glad that idiotic lore circle jerk is over, I can come out of my hole finally.

I do wonder if the two threads would have been better, one for lore/campaign and the other for multiplayer.

Just want to reiterate on the monthly hard reset.

When Seasons debut later this year, your CSR in certain playlists will be reset and you will play your placement matches again. You get a fresh start each month to try to prove yourself in select Seasonal Arena playlists.

I would assume we won't have CSR on launch and there's only certain playlists that will have a monthly hard reset while other playlists (other than Warzone) will have different resets and intervals, but that's just speculations on my part, since the description's pretty vague.

Anyway, someone brought up a very good point, which is, no-one's gonna have the time to grind to Onyx or Champions on every playlist every single month, meaning players are going to focus more on one playlist than others, which in return means niche playlists are going to take a bigger hit than usual on player pool, while the popular ones are going to get more players than they already would've had, because of exactly the monthly hard reset.

I would suggest that all the playlists that are not part of HCS should have a biannually soft reset, while only the Team Arena - which I would assume is the HCS playlist - should have a monthly or preferably, a quarterly hard reset, to keep teams grinding for Champions.

Lol I mean he is right and it's sort of valid. Other games that are in Dev are doing that now that have top players in the studio. They give really small glimpses but that's it

And let's be honest, day 1 is going to have a hundred ways to run the map. better for longevity to let people learn the meta game run its course.

Like there are some guns I can see players specializing in this game and a lot of players are going to not look at those guns much. Then someone is going to pull an LR top mid on Fathom and force them to basically never sprint. I could see Thruster being able to cause some glitches and tech in general.

People are going to have some wonky flag runs, people are going to run Stronghold and plan on getting 2 plots way differently than the other team, people aren't going to know spawns yet. Some people are going to abuse sprint and some won't because of Radar, someone will learn how to use the Caster very quickly, people will do really unorthodox strats that are going to make people get caught by surprise, people are going to rotate around the map differently etc.

Pretty interested for the build up for the game

I understand what you're saying, but most of the points you mentioned don't affect the bottom line IMO.

The point is, Neighbor just confirmed that at the highest level of play, the game still has the same fundamental flaws that every halo after H1 has had. I mean, I understand why it's good that they don't show the pro gameplay right away, but it's just delaying the inevitable. It's a solved game where strategy == team orchestration, and winning is simply a matter of who can pull that strategy off better. 

For example, I could describe to you any number of lockout 2v2 matches I've played, but none would sound drastically different than any other match: "They spawned BR tower, got sniper, and then got BR setup. They killed us 5 times, and then we broke their setup, and then we got BR setup. We got a bunch of kills, but then we messed up and they got BR setup and a fresh snipe. The game went to a standstill for a few minutes, and they we broke their setup and got BR setup again. Then it went to another standstill for a bit longer, and then we got the final kill, winning 25-10." The specifics will be different from game to game, but you're essentially just doing one of two things the entire game. Whether H5 plays as linerally as lockout remains to be seen, but the bottom line is that they just confirmed that it is in fact a linear game at it's core.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I totally see 343 reducing the weapon timers for Sniping weapons and making Powerups static down the line for H5.

MOA said that qoute was completely made up, he said 3 words and this guy turned it into two paragraphs.

Yeah, but @XxXShizzys post fits my agenda and helps me confirm my internal biases, so therefore I know it is accurate.  :grunt:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also sorry for double post, but there is setups in H1 as well. The difference between H1 and the others is that there is a reason to lock down different parts of the map due to fast static timers.

If you want to help the slow gameplay become fast, then Beyond should push for 1 minute static powerups for official matchmaking rules, as well as reducing the Sniper to 2 minutes (as long as it also get's bullet mag nerfed in the process).

• Upvote (+1) 7

LOOOOL I got to the microsoft 1 hr earlier than the store opened so i went back home. But yeah guys, the $25 microsoft promotion is still going on. I called the store and it's canon. If you guys want halo 5 free, grab a friend or two and have them come with you. I'm going with a friend so i can get $50 off on a pre order xD  (Thank you Cyren for posting about it)

LOOOOL I got to the microsoft 1 hr earlier than the store opened so i went back home. But yeah guys, the $25 microsoft promotion is still going on. I called the store and it's canon. If you guys want halo 5 free, grab a friend or two and have them come with you. I'm going with a friend so i can get $50 off on a pre order xD  (Thank you Cyren for posting about it)

What is this

I wish they kept it like Hearthstone, in the way that once you hit Legend (Champion in our case), you couldnt drop out of Legend for the rest of the Season. The more people that got to legend, the more Legend ranks there are.

But this wouldn't create a competition. The fact that there's only 200 spots and you know where you stand indicates how much you have to grind and be able to win consistently compared to others. It prevents flukes and forces people to be a little consistent.

Keeping historical rankings in the service record would be an interesting way to collect milestones.

Also sorry for double post, but there is setups in H1 as well. The difference between H1 and the others is that there is a reason to lock down different parts of the map due to fast static timers.

If you want to help the slow gameplay become fast, then Beyond should push for 1 minute static powerups for official matchmaking rules, as well as reducing the Sniper to 2 minutes (as long as it also get's bullet mag nerfed in the process).

And as long as they reduce the ammo count from 12 to 8 bullets

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is it a spoiler if I say that the Halo 5 Campaign looks like it might be the best in the series from an exploration and collecting standpoint? Skulls, Intel, Legendary Weapons, Easter Eggs, etc.

The gameplay looks really easy and boring though, so it would make me not want to look around the levels at all anyway.

Just beat every mission on Legendary on MCC. Halo 2 wasn't even that hard at all to solo tbh, you just need patience. I don't care what you people say, Halo CE on legendary even with a partner is twice as hard as Halo 2 legendary on solo. In CE you don't have the BR + Plasma Pistol combo to baby you, not to mention those brutal checkpoints.

@@Sal1ent Please make it so those who only beat MCC on legendary gets Helioskrill. Us people grinded for days to earn that armor and I don't like how somebody can just open a REQ pack and get Helioskrill with no effort whatsoever. Please reconsider and make Helioskrill an exclusive armor piece that you actually need to work for. You have to realize that we had to suffer through missions such as The Library and Gravemind. Please reward us for the grind. Thanks and looking forward to soloing Halo 5's campaign on legendary.  :)

Your joking right? CE is a breeze. 1sk hunters, plethora of powerups and ammunition (the game was made for 2 players and not 1)

One thing CE did do a far better job in comparison with all the other games in the series are the AI, the elites in that game were actually dangerous and could easily destroy you, you had to be very careful with them or else you would get rekt.

As for Halo 2 its clearly the most difficult halo SP the series has had so far, but for all the wrong reasons. Snipedown jackals, respawning enemies (sometimes nonstop) and an entire sandbox that is practically worthless with very little ammo all make H2 ridiculous to play. I think its also funny that you mention noob combo in H2 as if it wasn't in CE, noob combo was even more effective in CE because it had better tracking and range.

Halo 5 looks to be one of the easiest halo games yet, but I guess for the right reasons this time around. The hunters are the only enemies that genuinely look more challenging to face than in previous iterations, the deflect nades and they have an alternate firing mechanism which means they have more options at their disposal than before. Knights are 1sk from back I believe. Everything else looks pretty much the way you would expect them to be. One of the things I would love 343i to do is patch it post launch to be more challenging, I know they won't but that would be great if they would.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yes, putting weapons on a fast static timer keeps the game from turning into a complete standstill, but it doesn't magically fix the root of the problem. With perfect killtime being well over a second, and average killtime even higher, setups are still OP af  because one person can't kill an enemy in a setup before their entire team has time to react and teamshot them.

• Upvote (+1) 2

But this wouldn't create a competition. The fact that there's only 200 spots and you know where you stand indicates how much you have to grind and be able to win consistently compared to others. It prevents flukes and forces people to be a little consistent.

Keeping historical rankings in the service record would be an interesting way to collect milestones.

One thing that I would like to see them do is record the rank that was achieved before the monthly reset, maybe even put it up for display so enemies know at least a little of what to expect, would be great to have a collection of the progress that you have made as a player.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yes, putting weapons on a fast static timer keeps the game from turning into a complete standstill, but it doesn't magically fix the root of the problem. With perfect killtime being well over a second, and average killtime even higher, setups are still OP af  because one person can't kill an enemy in a setup before their entire team has time to react and teamshot them.

You can have set ups in Halo 1 where you can literally melt people off majority of the spawns. Fast timers do solve majority of the problems, even if I do wish killtimes were like 0.3-0.4 faster. I still want that 4sk Pistol.

Teamshooting will always be more involved as long as Halo stays 4v4.

I'd be really interested in seeing how the ecosystem would play out with only one Ranked playlist. Hell, we've had tournaments in the past for FFA and 2v2 because of Halo's competitive diversity. 

To be honest, I'm completely up in the air with this concept. At the end of the day I think a simple 4v4 Ranked would be better in the long run but I could see short term complaining about the lack of 2v2 Ranks and such, myself included, but the more I think about it as long as skill matching was decent for stuff like 2v2 and FFA Social I'd probably be satisfied.

We're definitely on the same page though.

I'd rather just see the one ranked playlist personally. Maybe 2 if they wanted to rank FFA or something that plays completely different. With one ranked playlist (being the HCS gametypes) that would draw more people into that list who want to compete I think. Maybe I'm wrong and console has become what I've always thought of it as, nothing more than casual players who want as little competition as possible with .01% of the players who actually enjoy a challenge.

Of course all other playlists need to be ranked, but they should only be ranked by ELO, and it needs to be invisible. The progression ranking system should be designed well enough to keep people interested in playing (see CoD prestiging), but the lists should also offer enough competition to provide stability in the quality of matches that you play in those playlists. It would help everyone out from new players to veterans.

I feel like 343 actually did something we wanted, but they just went way overboard and assumed it would be best to rank all the playlists. And who knows, maybe I'm wrong, but I feel having one ranked list where everyone who wants to try hard for their rank would make the competition that much better. When all lists are ranked it trivializes playlists.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Fast pw and power up timers would be a mess in h5 with how underpowered the spawn weapons are.

Fast pw and power up timers would be a mess in h5 with how underpowered the spawn weapons are.

You still think the AR is super OP along with the SMG though... top kek

• Upvote (+1) 1

You can have set ups in Halo 1 where you can literally melt people off majority of the spawns. Fast timers do solve majority of the problems, even if I do wish killtimes were like 0.3-0.4 faster. I still want that 4sk Pistol.

Teamshooting will always be more involved as long as Halo stays 4v4.

Which maps? Derelict? Wizard? Serious question.

He said underpowered?

Is there a place somewhere that shows all the powerup/power weapon timers? Would be appreciated.

In comparison to the pistol. Not PWs.

Is there a place somewhere that shows all the powerup/power weapon timers? Would be appreciated.

Power ups are 2 minutes. Snipers are 3. Rockets and other weapon pad weapons are 2 minutes. 

I believe the rest are on the H2 spawn system where they spawn when dropped and out of ammo. Not sure on this, the rest is right though.

• Upvote (+1) 1