CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Enjoy your micro-transaction infested games, season passes, $15 3 map DLC and don't come bitching to me when games are only available via $5 per month subscription and the game is processed on a server half way around the country and streamed to your living room with 150ms latency.

Even though micro-transaction, season passes, and subscriptions have nothing to do with consoles since they are on the PC just as much, if not more with LoL, DOTA, and WoW, but I am confident that the "online only" thing is only going to get worst and worst, especially for those living outside of NA. We're already seeing the beginning of it with Crackdown. Yes, the cloud technology to handle all the destruction physics is extremely impressive, but it's also the first step to an entire game being run on a server.

Like it or not, that is likely the future in gaming.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Great Halo 5 discussion guys.

... Not that there's much to discuss. Oh well.

I agree that downloading patches prior to release would be helpful because every damn game these days has a day-one patch.

Even though micro-transaction, season passes, and subscriptions have nothing to do with consoles since they are on the PC just as much, if not more with LoL, DOTA, and WoW, but I am confident that the "online only" thing is only going to get worst and worst, especially for those living outside of NA. We're already seeing the beginning of it with Crackdown. Yes, the cloud technology to handle all the destruction physics is extremely impressive, but it's also the first step to an entire game being run on a server.

Kinda interesting to imagine that once this becomes practical enough to be widespread, piracy will effectively be nonexistent. 

Stock up on GoG titles while you still can.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Kinda interesting to imagine that once this becomes practical enough to be widespread, piracy will effectively be nonexistent. 

I'm sorry for not really getting this, but how so?

Seems like a pretty drastic measure to take to eradicate piracy.

If that happens, I'm going back to DOS games.

Just to interject, you can't pirate a game that requires online to function for the entire game. With the cloud, making private servers of said games would be even more difficult if not impossible.

If you can't play the game because the files necessary to run it are on servers controlled by the devs, there is no point in pirating it as you won't be able to run it on your own. It also means that they can make games completely obsolete as soon as they want, forcing you to buy the newest iteration.

Seems like a pretty drastic measure to take to eradicate piracy.

If that happens, I'm going back to DOS games.

I play on all platforms including PC jsuk, legacy PC Gaming for the win.

I should have added a trigger warning hah.

The same way it's non-existent for Steam exclusive games.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes, but it's generally PC gamers that are tearing devs and producers a new one for these practises while complacent console gamers are like "durr, don't buy it if you don't like it".

Like, that's not the fucking point.

EVERYONE should see this:

http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Unreal_Tournament_2004#Maps

This is what gaming USED to be like. 100+ maps a launch, PLUS mod support PLUS free developer maps.

Now we're lucky if we get a dozen multiplayer maps and any further maps are paid DLC fracturing the online community.

Right now PC gamers are demanding refunds for Pay Day 2 because the devs added micro-transactions to the game after promising they wouldn't. Ubisoft pulled Arkham Knight from Steam since the PC port was so bad. Deus Ex pre-order crap was cancelled because of how exploitive it was.

It's not the casual gamers demanding these changes, it's the hardcore gamers that actually care about their hobby and protecting it from corporate greed.

So when I come onto the forums and ask why the hell I'm unable to pre-load a patch for a retail copy of Halo 5 so I can come home and play the game and get talked down to by a bunch of (I assume) 16 year olds it pisses me right the fuck off.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I play on all platforms including PC jsuk, legacy PC Gaming for the win.

I should have added a trigger warning hah.

I absolutely love playing on legacy PC systems, and not just DOS. Kind of my guilty pleasure.

I absolutely love playing on legacy PC systems, and not just DOS. Kind of my guilty pleasure.

Ever played Roguelikes? Like a freeware caviar for purists.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If you can't play the game because the files necessary to run it are on servers controlled by the devs, there is no point in pirating it as you won't be able to run it on your own. It also means that they can make games completely obsolete as soon as they want, forcing you to buy the newest iteration.

Okay, I get it. Thanks.

So when I come onto the forums and ask why the hell I'm unable to pre-load a patch for a retail copy of Halo 5 so I can come home and play the game and get talked down to by a bunch of (I assume) 16 year olds it pisses me right the fuck off.

I think you're taking this a little bit too seriously. Just go digital if you're that upset about a day one patch.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Stock up on GoG titles while you still can.

I kind of feel lucky that I grew up playing games before all these practices started becoming wide spread. That future of a game being run on a server is inevitable and micro-transactions are only going to get worst. I'm glad to say that when it happens, I won't care because I hardly play games anymore anyway. Sucks for the new generation of kids though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

• Upvote (+1) 2

how many of you wish Halo 5 was releasing tomorrow night instead of brand new episode of The Walking Dead?

I don't own an Xbox One yet, so I'd just have to read up on all the spoilers.

Can't say I watch The Walking Dead either :P

If Dark Souls III were out tomorrow though...

I kind of feel lucky that I grew up playing games before all these practices started becoming wide spread. That future of a game being run on a server is inevitable and micro-transactions are only going to get worst. I'm glad to say that when it happens, I won't care because I hardly play games anymore anyway. Sucks for the new generation of kids though.

The direction that the tech industry is going in general is kind of scary. Everything has some sort of account tied to it, things that used to require a flat fee are now turning into subscription services to deceive people into making their pricing appear more reasonable and often won't work if you aren't connected to the internet, advertisers tracking your every move, governments are trying to put backdoors into everything and restrict encryption, companies try to make it as hard as possible to remove bloatware(And in the case of Android phones, doing so will often void your warranty), etc.

The reality is that the widespread internet connection required for online (or "cloud") gaming is simply not where it would need to be to make it a viable business practice today, sure they are going further and further down that line but it appears to be incremental and may take another decade or so regardless.

To put what I'm saying into perspective, in the U.S. the average broadband speed is about 11.5 mbps, that isn't anywhere near what would be required to play games via streaming, and considering the U.S. is the largest market right now that tells you just how sorry things are, literally the only way I see MS or Apple or whoever making gaming on servers practical is if they provide the broadband themselves (which is what we are starting to see with google fiber and facebook and so on) and that'll take years anyway.

I do agree that will likely be the future, but its a ways off, and in fact I expect other far more interesting advances being made (I'm looking at you VR)

That's in Crackdown?

• Upvote (+1) 1

The direction that the tech industry is going in general is kind of scary. Everything has some sort of account tied to it, things that used to require a flat fee are now turning into subscription services to make their pricing appear reasonable and often won't work if you aren't connected to the internet, advertisers tracking your every move, governments are trying to put backdoors into everything and restrict encryption, companies try to make it as hard as possible to remove bloatware(And in the case of Android phones, doing so will often void your warranty), etc.

Which is why I use my smartphone as a tablet and a basic phone as a primary caller/texter...

DON'T

DO

IT

DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY OF YOUR MONEY

BUY IT USED IF YOU HAVE TO

DO NOT REWARD INCOMPETENCE

WATCH A STREAM OR SOMETHING TO SCRATCH THAT ITCH

DO NOT BUY HALO 5

why are you even here? And no you can't download the patch before the 27th without a disc. however, you can with a digital copy. If you are downloading it for two xboxes..(if the other Xbox is a friend or family members) you should buy it digitally and share the rights on both consoles, this would mean you could split the cost of the game/only buy one copy for two people. I share rights with my brothers account. We share games and I also share his Xbox live subscription.

Ever played Roguelikes? Like a freeware caviar for purists.

Yeah I'm a big fan of the genre, despite playing a very small amount of them.

The one I play most of these days is DoomRL, which is a graphical one.

I saw it while watching LGR one day and got hooked on it.

On an on-topic note, speaking of Sexorcist's post, I'm curious how many used copies will be there on day one.

After this ranking announcement, I might pass on the campaign and hop straight into arena when the game launches. This is literally the first time in 8 years a Halo game has launched with skill ranks.

I think you're taking this a little bit too seriously. Just go digital if you're that upset about a day one patch.

I want a physical copy to avoid a huge download and because I can get a better price for a retail copy.

"Go digital" is a poor excuse when there's no competition.