CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

You're trolling, right?

If you pre-load a patch you can instantly patch the game once it's installed instead of waiting all day for a download to finish.

How is that hard to understand?

I teach 10 year old kids with learning disabilities that can comprehend this.

What game allowed you to do that?

What game allowed you to do that?

Oh, I dunno?

How about every single PC game ever made?

I'm supposed to believe the next generation of gaming features consoles that allow you to PREORDER RETAIL COPES OF GAMES with huge patches required on release date making midnight launch events absolutely worthless for a large percentage of the gaming population since you can't actually put the disc in your Xbox at midnight and play the game.

Simple solution:

"PREPARE YOUR XBOX FOR HALO 5 BY DOWNLOADING THE PATCH NOW!"

• Download file to your HDD.
  • Pop in retail disc.
  • Install.
  • Open the patch file.
  • Game patches.

WOW HOLY SHIT. That took me an entire 10 seconds to think of a solution for this.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Oh, I dunno?

You couldn't for the most part unless you're playing older games from the mid/late-00s.

I couldn't download GTA5's updates without owning the game first, for example, unless I pre-ordered it digitally.

Physical copy? I couldn't.

Same goes for a majority of PC games released since the late 00s.

I don't know what you're getting at, honestly. This isn't like the days when FileFront or Gamespy uploaded updates/patches you could download before buying the game anymore, not since Steam was required for a lot of games.

The only way I can see it happening is if you got a code from pre-ordering a physical copy that you could use to redeem day one updates.

Oh, I dunno?

I'm supposed to believe the next generation of gaming features consoles that allow you to PREORDER RETAIL COPES OF GAMES with huge patches required on release date making midnight launch events absolutely worthless for a large percentage of the gaming population since you can't actually put the disc in your Xbox at midnight and play the game.

Simple solution:

• Pop in retail disc.
  • Install.
  • Open the patch file.
  • Game patches.

WOW HOLY SHIT. That took me an entire 10 seconds to think of a solution for this.

this is what http://xbox.uservoice.com/is for. 

Vote now

http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251652-xbox-store/suggestions/6601315-allow-users-to-download-day-one-patches-for-games

Oh, I dunno?

Simple solution:

• Pop in retail disc.
  • Install.
  • Open the patch file.
  • Game patches.

^ might as well release the game a day early simply because of patching lol.

^ might as well release the game a day early simply because of patching lol.

Just pretend like the game releases on the 28th.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Did you manage to upload those videos?

tmr

Oh, I dunno?

Simple solution:

• Pop in retail disc.
  • Install.
  • Open the patch file.
  • Game patches.

xbox one and ps4 are both very outdated and overpriced hardware. 

pc features that we have enjoyed for years are absent in these so called nextgen consoles, it makes no sense  

You can't.

I can't download GTA5's updates without owning the game first, for example, unless I pre-order it digitally.

Physical copy? I can't.

Same goes for a majority of PC games released since the late 00s.

I don't know what you're getting at, honestly. This isn't like the days when FileFront or Gamespy uploaded updates/patches you could download before buying the game, not since Steam was required for a lot of games.

Except you can.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GTAV/comments/32i3f2/pc_solution_for_error_1_on_the_356mb_download/

You have several options:

• Download the patcher files manually - Many devs let you do this or you can request the patch installer you need from someone.
  • Copy the entire game folder from a friend and then your game launcher will auto-detect the files and bring you up to date
  • Request the changed files from someone and overwrite your old files

My Witcher 3 folder was filled with patch installers and DLC I could easily upload and give to other people and I downloaded that through GoG Galaxy Client.

Also, even IF you were right, so the fuck what?

There's no reason to not make the patch available early for retail customers.

It's not a DRM issue, you still actually have to buy the game and put the disc in to activate it. It's not like I can just download the patch and then play the game for free.

It's pure laziness.

@@Sal1ent

Please speak some sense into Microsoft and fix this crap for the release of Halo 6. I shouldn't have to spend hours downloading a patch before I can play a game I just spent $100 AUD on, especially when consoles are marketed as an easy plug and play device I don't need to screw around on before getting a game working.

I legit think PC gaming is actually more user friendly than consoles these days.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Some kind of "Prepare your Xbox for this game" button that allowed you to download any patches beforehand would be amazing. I would've taken advantage of such a feature for basically every Xbone game I've purchased.

I legit think PC gaming is actually more user friendly than consoles these days.

The list of reasons to game on console instead of PC is rapidly dwindling. So many things on the Xbone are objectively worse than its predecessor.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Some kind of "Prepare your Xbox for this game" button that allowed you to download any patches beforehand would be amazing. I would've taken advantage of such a feature for basically every Xbone game I've purchased.

The list of reasons to game on console instead of PC is rapidly dwindling. So many things on the Xbone are objectively worse than its predecessor.

Ease of use and exclusive titles are pretty much the only reason to own a console lately. The only reason I own my Xbox One is either because:

1) There's an exclusive I want, such as H5G for example.

2) There is a game I enjoy playing with a significantly larger player base on the console version than the PC version and/or the PC version is nearly dead.

-snip-

These are methods from digital pre-order users to give people the advantage of downloading updates if they pre-order a physical copy of a PC game, which in the US, is rarely if ever done.

People who get a physical copy before the game is even released will not get update files before, unless the dev allows it or uploads them.

Even so, when I pre-ordered GTA5 on the PC, I didn't get an update until the game launched. Guess what? I had to download it, it wasn't pre-loaded. This is how it's worked for most digital pre-orders I've done on PC.

I don't want to argue because this will just end up being a repetitive circle. I agree that people should get updates before, I'm not saying they shouldn't. It's entirely a dev issue, though, not DRM.

If Halo 5 had a release for pc, I wouldn't have this xbox one right now.

Would any of us have this piece of shit console if MCC didn't happen?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Ease of use and exclusive titles are pretty much the only reason to own a console. The only reason I own my Xbox One is either because:

1) There's an exclusive I want, such as H5G for example.

2) There is a game I enjoy playing with a significantly larger player base on the console version than the PC version.

But it's not easier to use.

The new UI is horrific. The simple act of adding someone to your friendslist is absurd considering it was like 2-3 buttons on the 360.

You can't even buy a game and just play it straight away since they need to be installed first and THEN you're expected to download insane patches like the 20GB MCC patch on launch... Seriously?

I tried copying my brothers digital copy of MCC to my Xbox and it refused to launch with my retail copy so I think I ended up giving up and just downloading the patch on my connection which took half the day.

My Xbox One is a $500 Halo machine. I'd play Destiny too if it had a decent FoV and ran at 60FPS I suppose.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

But it's not easier to use.

The new UI is horrific. The simple act of adding someone to your friendslist is absurd considering it was like 2-3 buttons on the 360.

You can't even buy a game and just play it straight away since they need to be installed first and THEN you're expected to download insane patches like the 20GB MCC patch on launch... Seriously?

I tried copying my brothers digital copy of MCC to my Xbox and it refused to launch with my retail copy so I think I ended up giving up and just downloading the patch on my connection which took half the day.

My Xbox One is a $500 Halo machine. I'd play Destiny too if it had a decent FoV and ran at 60FPS I suppose.

I have a feeling if H5G was two discs instead of one, this wouldn't be an issue. Same with MCC as well.

Honestly no. I only got MCC because I'm a huge halo fan and wanted to play the campaign from Halo 1 - Halo 4 before the release of halo 5 all in one sitting. Without Halo MCC I don't think xbox would have made any significant sales. 

Pic

Yes, expecting a game to be playable on launch makes me a fat neck beard.

You caught me red handed. Congrats.

People like you making excuses for devs and passing off legit concerns are killing the gaming industry.

Cheers mate.

Enjoy your micro-transaction infested games, season passes, $15 3 map DLC and don't come bitching to me when games are only available via $5 per month subscription and the game is processed on a server half way around the country and streamed to your living room with 150ms latency.

Don't say you weren't warned.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Two things that will make me drop Halo completely. The day they kill master chief, and the day playing halo became subscription based on top of already paying for a gold sub to access multiplayer :l. They better not kill master chief. 

EDIT: This in no way endorses negative developer behavior, not like some people would understand that

Only upvoted because I find the picture ironic since a lot of console gamers can be pretty neckbeardly as well. ;P