CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

@@Sal1ent as long as you and your team show to me and the rest of the community that you guys care about the HCS and Halo's competitive future with the launch and post-launch support of H5, then I will be a happy camper with the game.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Exactly what are the plans for Halo 5 to "grow over time" besides maps/remixes and more skins?

Serious question.

Exactly what are the plans for Halo 5 to "grow over time" besides maps/remixes and more skins?

Serious question.

What else would there be?

Maps

Gametypes

Forge

Skins

REQs

HCS Events

Serious question.

I think the HCS (if ran and structured properly) is a great tool for growth, probably one of the biggest long term tools post launch. :prayers:

• Upvote (+1) 1

We heard the feedback from core fans that many of them also wanted a more classic BTB experience. So we decided to build this in addition to Warzone. But we remain focused on delivering a great Warzone experience first. That's not some cynical attempt to force you to play our new mode, it's simply a matter of keeping our eye on the ball in play. We want Warzone to be great when we launch.

This is what we're trying to bring up. You decided to scrap old modes in favor of new ones because your team thought they were better, and when you all found out that wasn't necessarily true you decided to also include the old modes as some form of favor.

It's great the game is running on a new engine and you have great new features coming, but that really isn't an excuse to cut or delay features that were in previous iterations of the game. The fact that you guys haven't even confirmed if some classic game modes will be in at launch is worrisome, though here's hoping I'm wrong and they're actually in. Keeping launch playlists secret is all well and good, but your studio is asking us to preorder the game without even confirming if classic modes will be in until about a week before launch.

I really appreciate you coming here and giving us information and interacting with the community, we love that. But please don't try and act like you're doing us a favor by not stripping out core elements of the game.

• Upvote (+1) 7

So its gone from being delayed to "overhauled". Holy shit I better throw out my potential Computer Science degree and get a damn marketing degree. Being able to twist words around to get people to believe my shit. 

There a big demand for Potential Computer Science?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Assault was playable in an extremely early build of the game, so if it's coming as post-launch content, that is something I'll rage about.

I think the HCS (if ran and structured properly) is a great tool for growth, probably one of the biggest long term tools post launch. :prayers:

The implication here being that it was run poorly during H4, which is arguable depending on what your expectations are.

Yes. 

Oof. Can't say I agree with that decision at all. (Assuming Assault, Oddball, and other core game types are among those that are coming post launch.)

The implication here being that it was run poorly during H4, which is arguable depending on what your expectations are.

Halo 4? Halo eSports was an embarrassing sham in Halo 4, minus the global championship (and that was only good because of the dollar amount up for grabs, not the game or the gameplay.)

MCC? The game being an absolute nightmare put a damper on anything positive about the HCS in my opinion + a lot of questionable decisions were made. I feel like the HCS team is too small and they are in over their heads at certain points.

Despite what the Halo lore masters and wizards say, there is no such thing as "Investing too much into eSports". Halo is finally coming around to where other games have been for years. A well structured long term league hosted by the developer and backed by Microsoft with big money, will do way more for growth and marketing than any REQ pack or in game skin would.

• Upvote (+1) 2

On a completely different note. I'm extremely impressed that 343 flew the forge cartographers out to show em everything. Really cool move on their part. Now if we can get some answers about the file share.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Now I don't know the intricacies of game development, but I absolutely cannot fathom how gametypes would be so developmentally intense that they would have to be post-launch content. That is baffling on another level. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

HCS didn't exist for H4. Nothing did besides AGL. And we all know what a shit show AGL was. lmao 

There was zero room for growth with AGL as the only platform Halo had.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Now I don't know the intricacies of game development, but I absolutely cannot fathom how gametypes would be so developmentally intense that they would have to be post-launch content. That is baffling on another level.

This seems like a stupid way to try and draw players that leave in November.

Halo 4? Halo eSports was an embarrassing sham in Halo 4, minus the global championship.

MCC? The game being an absolute nightmare put a damper on anything positive about the HCS in my opinion + a lot of questionable decisions were made. I feel like the HCS team is too small and they are in over their heads at certain points.

Despite what the Halo lore masters and wizards say, there is no such thing as "Investing too much in eSports". Halo is finally coming around to where other games have been for years. A well structured long term league hosted by the developer and backed by Microsoft with big money will do way more for growth and marketing than any REQ pack or in game skin would.

I guess we'll see. I can't help but wonder if it's all been damaged beyond repair...the last time we had a competent Halo tournament was three years ago, and competitive Halo had been dead for almost two years prior to that. 

Nevermind the fact that the one topic we have been patently avoiding is whether or not this game is actually tournament-worthy. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

Forge is not being delayed. It's been their objective to launch Forge after. That's what I got from both Josh Holmes and Frank O'Connor.

I actually think releasing it as a "Service" rather than an in-game feature bodes well for the longevity of the title. Also excellent marketing tool. 

If it's functional and as good as it looks then can't complain.

Definitely looks like they're taking lessons from MCC's launch...

• Upvote (+1) 1

I guess we'll see. I can't help but wonder if it's all been damaged beyond repair...the last time we had a competent Halo tournament was three years ago, and competitive Halo had been dead for almost two years prior to that. 

Nevermind the fact that the one topic we have been patently avoiding is whether or not this game is actually tournament-worthy. 

Things change. CoD was in the gutter when Halo was turning up, and now it is the other way around. It is possible to make the comeback, you just need the right developers. David Vonderhaar is literally the savior of CoD eSports at Treyarch, he actually gives a shit, thats why every game that Treyarch makes is amazing for eSports. I think our equivalent is Josh Holmes - I mean shit, he is here dancing with our "toxic" community  :grunt:

Whether Halo 5 is going to be THE GAME that brings it all back, remains to be seen. Hopefully it brings it all back and onto another level. The dev support is for sure there. I just hope they didnt ignore the Pro Team during development... because if they did they literally stunted the growth of Halo 5 for no reason.

• Upvote (+1) 5

We should replace  :salt:  with i4.gif

Thing is. Battelfield 3 burnt me, MCC burnt me. I shouldn't be giving into this hype but I like the look of the gameplay, we have direct communication with one of the lead designers and we have the promise of tournaments. I'm still #day2masterrace but I want to play Halo again with my friends and I want this game to bring that atmosphere back.

I can see both sides of the camp, I'm just an optimist and don't want to be on the @@ABearInTheWoods side even though what he is saying is usually perfectly understandable. 

I try it again @@Sal1ent

Do I need to buy the English version of H5G to play it in English? Is there no way to change the language like in Halo 4?

There a big demand for Potential Computer Science?

I don't have a computer degree yet. So there is potential I can get one or I could just throw it out and do something else like marketing. Fuck English going back to code.