CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

They've been around since Reach.

Warholic, Fated Fire, Psycho Duck, Nokyard... These guys have all been active here and their role in the community has been long known. PsychoDuck was part of one of the most popular Halo related Youtube Channels, Nokyard runs the Griffball leagues and stuff, and Warholic owns ForgeHub.

You obviously never played Source at launch.

No.

The difference is, Source maintained a comparable population to 1.6.

CSGO went from 30k to 10k in a month. There was every sign of the game dying out soon without major updates.

Don't underestimate how bad this game was on release. I stopped playing it after a week, and only came back before the market update.

I still think the game isn't good, but it's playable and most of all popular.

Orion and Pegasus were both on the same Forge canvas map. They're not seperate maps. We also know now that we have 3 different Forge maps; Alpine, Snow, and Space.

So we already know about 8 non-forged Arena maps + 2 forged Arena maps + 5 Breakout maps + 3 Warzone maps + 3 unnannounced Warzone maps = 21, which is the number of maps at launch as revealed by the infographic from the blog post.

Unless that's a coincidence, it means that Forge maps are included in the map count.

Arena (8 + 2 Forge)

• Coliseum
  • Eden
  • Empire
  • Fathom
  • Plaza
  • Regret
  • The Rig
  • Truth
  • Orion (Forge)
  • Pegasus (Forge)
Breakout (5)
  • Altitute
  • Crossfire
  • Gambol
  • Trench
  • Trident
Warzone (3 + 3 unannounced)
  • Escape from ARC
  • March on Stormbreak
  • Raid on Apex 7

I very, very highly doubt that the Halo 5 launch will be messed up. The differences between Halo 5 and MCC are infinite, and it's nigh impossible that with a year to dwell on the MCC launch that Microsoft hasn't done everything possible to ensure a smooth launch for Halo 5. The game will be fine.

Frankly, I'm still shocked that all of you are letting them get away with this "map remix" nonsense.

I'd be concerned if the remixes were just a slick of paint on the same map but it is more than that. Regret and Truth don't play similarly and Eden and Empire don't play similarly. Not that I can remember, at least.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Frankly, I'm still shocked that all of you are letting them get away with this "map remix" nonsense.

Since when have we gotten 11-14 Arena maps at launch? 

Sure some of the designs look similar, but the maps play much differently. Regret was a lot different than Truth, and Empire was very different from Eden.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The forge maps put into Reach MM were trash most of the time, they definitely were a lot more cautious with halo 4, I hope halo 5 is somewhere in the middle, especially considering that the maps won't all be grey this time around.

We've got 128 colors that can be used to color the ENTIRE piece, so gray defo won't be an issue. This doesn't mean that we have 128 unique colors though, as taking black for example, we have 10 differing options with that color based on 10% changes to it's darkness

I'm pretty excited about Forge.... Might even try my hand at forging some maps this time around. I always wanted to get into it, but the tools paled so much in comparison to a real SDK, I just couldn't bring myself to doing it.

The Community Cartographers were responsible for a lot of the Forge maps we saw implemented in Matchmaking throughout Reach. Maybe Halo 3 too, though I didn't have as much interest in it back then. Competent group of people for sure, though the selection process for maps is obscure.

It's because there really isn't one. If they like you/ your map, you're good to go. If not, too bad. No way to "break"the system either if you have difficulties with the cartographers. The only maps 343 sees are the ones they push. And the only way to be a cartographer is for them to vote you in apparently.

• Upvote (+1) 1

117  :intel: items. Nice.

It would have been nice to see the number of game modes that will be present at launch; I guess we'll have to wait for that information.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm glad that forge is getting a upgraded but I'm really disappointed by the fact that forge won't be available until almost two months after launch. I'm not a forger but I planned on using forge to adjust power-up and weapon placements, put power-ups on static spawns instead of dynamic spawns, and make the power weapons spawn more frequently. I wouldn't be this disappointed by a delayed forge mode if there were some other kind of bare-bones map editor that only allowed people to mess with weapons and power-ups on maps and nothing more but there isn't one.

Now that we won't have forge for almost two months after launch we are going to be stuck playing matchmaking which will most likely have horrible settings for competitive play. What we need to do is push even harder than ever before for 343 to make the matchmaking playlists settings more ideal for competitive play. The power-ups need to be put on static spawns instead of dynamic spawns and power weapons need to spawn more frequently. A 3 minute static spawn for a sniper is a absurdly long time and there is no way for us to fix that without using forge. The timer for the sniper should be on a 90 second timer and nothing longer than that.

The changes from both maps, along with one of them being asymmetric, are enough to make the gameplay different from one another. Empire is more focused on CQC, and Eden is long-range fights on high bridges.

Aesthetics being similar isn't that bad of a trade-off. No one complained in CE or Halo 2.

• Upvote (+1) 3

No number of gametypes in that info graphic. Oh boy

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 8

The difference is, Source maintained a comparable population to 1.6.

CSGO went from 30k to 10k in a month. There was every sign of the game dying out soon without major updates.

Don't underestimate how bad this game was on release. I stopped playing it after a week, and only came back before the market update.

I still think the game isn't good, but it's playable and most of all popular.

It's circumstantial think about how popular 1.6 was back then without much competition, Source was obviously going to keep an audience through the improved graphics / new engine alone. The point still stands that as far as playability, GO was in a much better state when it was publicly released.

Because of the triple A expectations of the Halo franchise we shouldn't see it released in the same state as PC titles coming out of beta, but in todays market where are these games that release with full functionality? It's a common expectation to see games worked on post launch both in the sense of game balance and bringing in features.

Obviously if you reduce it down, from an individual perspective it's a drawback to not have everything at your fingertips right away but there is something to be said for increasing the longevity of the experience through post launch support. Much like Valve with CSGO, if 343 maintains constant updates (maps, weapon balance, REQ improvements, comp spec improvements, playlist improvements) will people look at it as them doing the job they failed to accomplish at launch, much like MCC, or will they view it as the developer really supporting the game?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't mind the remixes, but I do mind that 343 is using them and possibly Forge variants to inflate the map count.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Much like Valve with CSGO, if 343 maintains constant updates (maps, weapon balance, REQ improvements, comp spec improvements, playlist improvements) will people look at it as them doing the job they failed to accomplish at launch, much like MCC, or will they view it as the developer really supporting the game?

Depends on whether the updates are perceived as planned (i.e., part of the overall strategy for the game and announced ahead of time) or reactionary, due to planned content not being available at the time it was advertised to be available.

How it is perceived is wholly dependent on the expectations 343 sets in the year leading up to launch.

Speaking of Eden, and Empire, I feel like I'm the only one that misses the old lighting system for Eden. Seriously, the old lighting made it look like a dark, nighttime map, with a subtle "humidity" to it, with the feel of the lights and everything. Now, it doesn't really look "nightish". There's no darkness to the map. Although, one good thing about it, is that it has that "blue hue" that I like, especially from older Halos. Empire, and Regret's lighting both made me sleepy, this perks me right the hell up. Das gewd. 
Joystickin-With-Jorge-Halo-5-Screen-Shoth5-guardians-arena-eden-back-court-game-

• Upvote (+1) 2

The changes from both maps, along with one of them being asymmetric, are enough to make the gameplay different from one another.

It's the same map with a couple of platforms switched.

What are you people even looking at?

Aesthetics being similar isn't that bad of a trade-off. No one complained in CE or Halo 2.

I don't even know what you're referring to here.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I've been thinking about the Halo 5 release date, and I realized Halo 3 didn't have a real Forge either at launch (not until December – 3 months post-release). Before Foundry, it was a very, very barebones map editor, and nothing good could be created out of it. It's even more interesting to consider the fact that people needed to purchase the DLC in order to get the most out of Forge, it wasn't free until later in 2008.

I understand the notion that we shouldn't be losing features that other games have implemented, and I also stand by it. However, all things considered, it's not as bad as it seems, and the wait will be well worth it. I'm glad people will get to let the maps grow on them rather than call 99% of them shit within the first week and count on Forgers to remake either Sanc, generic 4-base map, Pit or whatever else other boring remake. Also glad I won't feel like I'm missing out on either Forge because I want to be in Matchmaking, or vice versa. I'll just beat the Campaign and I'll be able to focus on Matchmaking for a while. Once Forge is out, I won't feel as bad for messing around with it and spending time in customs.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The remixes aren't a bad thing, IMO. I played A LOT of the beta, and from what I remember, Truth and Regret play nothing alike. I don't remember much from the other maps.