CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The same people who thought the Chief will die are the same people who think Cortana won't return. There's no way that they're going to get rid of the duo that has literally saved the Xbox multiple times.

If Chief and Cortana ever actually die, the earliest it will be is in Halo 9 (not including story spin-offs games).

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The same people who thought the Chief will die are the same people who think Cortana won't return. There's no way that they're going to get rid of the duo that has literally saved the Xbox multiple times.

If Chief and Cortana ever actually die, the earliest it will be is in Halo 9 (not including story spin-offs games).

Fuck it. Cut his head off. Game of thrones style.

There were a few legit people in the video, and a few... not so legit people. I think they just picked the "community cartographers" which I had no idea even existed until now.

The Community Cartographers were responsible for a lot of the Forge maps we saw implemented in Matchmaking throughout Reach. Maybe Halo 3 too, though I didn't have as much interest in it back then. Competent group of people for sure, though the selection process for maps is obscure.

They're the same people who think Alienware produce the best products on the planet, they fall for it hook line and sinker.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So it won't be available at launch? Released in December? Wow. Guess that guy who said that last week wasn't kidding. I'm tired of seeing shits won't be available at launch.... They had 3 years to work on the game...

I said this exact same post and was downvoted. Who the hell on this site thinks this is ok for 343 to do?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its the fact that they keep talking of galaxy shattering events along with the marketing and the fact that they're introducing Locke who is doubtless going to take over the series when Chief is gone. These are the same guys who killed Cortana in their first game. I wouldn't be surprised if they killed him too.

343 will want his death to be a complete surprise. I'd be more worried about his death if they don't talk about it going into Halo 6.

I said this exact same post and was downvoted. Who the hell on this site thinks this is ok for 343 to do?

I do after the MCC I am happy for them to release a product they are confident will work at launch, if that means we have to wait a little while extra for missing bit of the game to be added post launch fine by me as long as they stick to these deadlines and they actually work upon launch without any hiccups I think it's fine. 343 can't afford to have any more hiccups with broken launches etc after the atrocity that is the MCC.

I do after the MCC I am happy for them to release a product they are confident will work at launch, if that means we have to wait a little while extra for missing bit of the game to be added post launch fine by me as long as they stick to these deadlines and they actually work upon launch without any hiccups I think it's fine. 343 can't afford to have any more hiccups with broken launches etc after the atrocity that is the MCC.

You seem to be missing the point entirely. I'm not paying the full price for a brand new game that is not "full" itself.

"Hey buddy, hope you like this new car we're releasing on Oct. 27th. Hope you're syked that we're finally releasing it, except you won't get the windows/tires until December.... Maybe"

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 8

More than 18 free maps. Beats my previous estimate of ~15.

The rest of that by the numbers graphic is impressive too. 13 skulls and 117 intel item to find should keep campaign replayable for a long time,

• Upvote (+1) 2

You seem to be missing the point entirely. I'm not paying the full price for a brand new game that is not "full" itself.

"Hey buddy, hope you like this new car we're releasing on Oct. 27th. Hope you're syked that we're finally releasing it, except you won't get the windows/tires until December.... Maybe"

Don't buy it then? Evaluations of a 'full game' are for the individual to decide, if not having Forge is a deal breaker for you (I know it will be for some) then don't purchase.

Your car example is basically 'release and done' so you essentially don't want post-launch support, online multiplayer games are not; cars, Subway sandwiches, films etc. CSGO for example went a good while before MM was fully integrated, 2 months before releasing it's spectator mode, one year before introducing skins and months after that until it had full integration through the live events etc. Oh no it's different because PC, even though people will complain their assess off that there isn't enough post-launch support for console games.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

2 cents:

Forge is one of the reasons I love Halo.  However . . .

1.  When a game first comes out, I fiddle around in MP a bit but mostly finish the campaign.

2.  Then I play MP and decide which maps I hate.

3.  Then I load up Forge and try (and usually fail) to make better maps than the ones I hate.

Step 3 occurs around 2 - 3 months after launch.

I would much, much, much rather have a Forge with the features I've seen advertised so far than an incremental improvement on H4 / MCC forge - even if I have to wait a month or so for it.  Plus, lots of the stuff they added was stuff I'd specifically asked for in other threads.  As far as "at release" goes . . . well, personally, I wouldn't use it much initially anyway, so that doesn't affect me too much.

@ Sal1ent:  Still not really a good show, though . . . especially after  MCC.  Had you guys announced early on that Forge would be a later, free add-on . . . not so big of a deal.  But to wait until 3 weeks before launch to let folks know they won't have it?  People get disappointed only when expectations are not met.  By saying nothing up until now, the expectation was set that it would be there.  Much better to state an initial plan - a year out maybe - that H5 is planned to be a staged release.  Core game, Arena MP, and a new MP mode in the Fall.  MP add-ons and overhauled Forge before winter holidays.  More MP maps in mid-winter.  And if things go well and you're able to pull Forge into the launch . . . great.  You get to say how awesome you are by providing all of the first year content on the release date. If not and you stick with the staged plan, no biggie . . . you've already set that expectation.

Yeah, you'd take some shit for doing that, but it would be less shit than you're taking now and will take when the game releases and people who don't live on the forums find Forge isn't there.  You guys do a spectacular job with marketing the game (HTT, teasers), but a pretty terrible job of managing expectations.  Both are critical, as demonstrated by the MCC.  You guys keep setting yourselves up for failure, and I don't understand why.

Just imagine how much better MCC could have gone had you strategized ahead of time that the launch game would include all of the campaigns and H2A MP, with CE, H2C, H3, and H4 MPs available for download at 5, 10, 15, and 20 weeks after launch, respectively.  Also imagine how much easier the patching would have been.

• Upvote (+1) 2

CSGO for example went a good while before MM was fully integrated,

It went a while. Not a "good" while.

The game was the Halo4 of the CS franchise on launch.

Don't buy it then? Evaluations of a 'full game' are for the individual to decide, if not having Forge is a deal breaker for you (I know it will be for some) then don't purchase.

Your car example is basically 'release and done' so you essentially don't want post-launch support, online multiplayer games are not; cars, Subway sandwiches, films etc. CSGO for example went a good while before MM was fully integrated, 2 months before releasing it's spectator mode, one year before introducing skins and months after that until it had full integration through the live events etc. Oh no it's different because PC, even though people will complain their assess off that there isn't enough post-launch support for console games.

Isnt cs go free lol?

Day 1 MP patch. This could be MCC all over again.

The MCC's Day 1 patch was a content patch, since the entire game couldn't fit on one disc. This is essentially the same. It's a multiplayer content update. Not a "patch" patch. 

So we already know about 8 non-forged Arena maps + 2 forged Arena maps + 5 Breakout maps + 3 Warzone maps + 3 unnannounced Warzone maps = 21, which is the number of maps at launch as revealed by the infographic from the blog post.

Unless that's a coincidence, it means that Forge maps are included in the map count. Full list:

Arena (8 + 2 Forge)

• Coliseum
  • Eden
  • Empire
  • Fathom
  • Plaza
  • Regret
  • The Rig
  • Truth
  • Orion (Forge)
  • Pegasus (Forge)
Breakout (5)
  • Altitute
  • Crossfire
  • Gambol
  • Trench
  • Trident
Warzone (3 + 3 unannounced)
  • Escape from ARC
  • March on Stormbreak
  • Raid on Apex 7

To put it into perspective (small/total maps at launch):

• Halo CE: 11/13
  • Halo 2: 8/12
  • Halo 3: 8/11
  • Reach: 5/8 + 3/5 Forge = 8/13
  • Halo 4: 7/13

It went a while. Not a "good" while.

The game was the Halo4 of the CS franchise on launch.

You obviously never played Source at launch.

Isnt cs go free lol?

No.

The MCC's Day 1 patch was a content patch, since the entire game couldn't fit on one disc. This is essentially the same. It's a multiplayer content update. Not a "patch" patch.

I really hope that is the case. After MCC I wont be holding my breath. I have come to terms with the fact I might be playing solo campaign for a while after lanuch.

I really hope that is the case. After MCC I wont be holding my breath. I have come to terms with the fact I might be playing solo campaign for a while after lanuch.

This wont be mcc again, 100% faith. The biggest problem will probably be server hiccups.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So we already know about 8 non-forged Arena maps + 2 forged Arena maps + 5 Breakout maps + 3 Warzone maps + 3 unnannounced Warzone maps = 21, which is the number of maps at launch as revealed by the infographic from the blog post.

Unless that's a coincidence, it means that Forge maps are included in the map count. Full list:

Arena (8 + 2 Forge)

• Coliseum
  • Eden
  • Empire
  • FathomP
  • Plaza
  • Regret
  • The Rig
  • Truth
  • Orion (Forge)
  • Pegasus (Forge)

Breakout (5)

• Altitute
  • Crossfire
  • Gambol
  • Trench
  • Trident

Warzone (3 + 3 unannounced)

• Escape from ARC
  • March on Stormbreak
  • Raid on Apex 7

Nah, Holmes has said there will be remixes for almost every Arena map...

The Community Cartographers were responsible for a lot of the Forge maps we saw implemented in Matchmaking throughout Reach. Maybe Halo 3 too, though I didn't have as much interest in it back then. Competent group of people for sure, though the selection process for maps is obscure.

The forge maps put into Reach MM were trash most of the time, they definitely were a lot more cautious with halo 4, I hope halo 5 is somewhere in the middle, especially considering that the maps won't all be grey this time around.