CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The reddit forge AMA:

"We cannot comment on the inclusion of assault in Halo 5."

This is concerning. What is the point of keeping this a secret if it is there. 

That isn't how the Pro ratings work.

Once you hit the majestic land of ELO in the Semi-Pro/Pro rankings, you have a number assigned to you. This rating judges how you stack up against everyone else in these two divisions. The Top 200 people with the highest rating are placed into the Pro division. Your rating does increase and decrease based on wins and losses but it is based on who you match. If you are beating people in Onyx, its barely going to increase, but if you lose to people in Onyx you are going to decrease a lot, because the game expects you to beat those people.

If you are a Semi-Pro with a  1650 Rating, beating another 1700 Semi-Pro might give you a decent leap but beating a Pro at 1800 or even something like 2000 is going to give you a big leap in rating, possibly pushing you past that Top 200 threshold into the Pro division.

TL;DR: It's not about quantity of matches, it's about quality.

Oh really? Was it like that in the beta? Because it didn't seem like that to me. But if so that makes me feel a lot better.

Why can I only neg someone once? This post clearly deserves more.

One has to consider exactly why people got into BTB to begin with, and the conclusion I came to was that because there were more players on the map at once, it allowed vehicular play to come more into effect, and you know there's clearly an audience that loves to play around with the vehicles and I imagine the way the vehicles are now it would be impossible to have them in MP outside of BTB.

Warzone will probably allow for even more vehicular madness, so I would assume it'll do an even job of pleasing the BTB audience than BTB did, the only people I realistically see preferring BTB are those that don't enjoy REQ's or AI's (which I think will be a minority) and even then they could easily provide a mode where AI's and REQ's aren't there but keeping the 12v12 player limit, so ultimately I doubt you'll see BTB making all that much of a comeback.

I'm not hating on BTB, Warzone is just superior.

Forge looks really fantastic; it's great to see precision editing return and object grouping added. Props to Tom French and his team. It's a shame (particularly for custom games) that it won't be present at Halo 5's launch, but at least 343i have been transparent about it, such that those individuals for whom this is an issue are aware of it before the game releases. One thing I would have liked to have seen more detail on however, are the systems they have/will have in place for the sharing and highlighting of Forge maps.

I wonder what this will mean for Halo 5's reviews, particularly as we get closer to October 27. While I would assume, particularly after the MCC, most major review sites will hold off on scored reviews until some short time after launch so as to test the multiplayer 'in the wild;' will they update their review in December in light of Forge's addition? Will they review Forge separately? Obviously these are questions only the reviewers can answer, but it's interesting to see how this 'traditional' element of games criticism adapts to widespread patching (particularly regarding multiplayer functionality) and the rise of games-as-a-service.

A Forge preview program would be interesting, and would both allow the feature to launch in December with a slew of community-made maps and ensure that a number of individuals are already proficient with the new tools such that good maps continue to be made relatively soon following Forge's release. @@Sal1ent is this something that has been considered, or do the 'Community Cartographers' have a similar role?

the typical reviews are trash, look back at Halo 4's reviews and you'll get what I'm saying.

I was expecting 343 to give us tools to make maps on a less limited platform. Something more precise, fast, and easy, like with mouse and keyboard. There's just a ton of limitations with a controller, and I thought with Windows 10 they were going to make a generational leap in Halo. A true map editor. A way to control the template of the maps, a way to control surfaces in a better way. A way to browse the maps or have a live preview, or something else in the line of finding cool new maps. Maybe something with procedurally generated environments, or an environmental randomizer so that you can get past "writers block" and improvise. Idk, I just wanted to see something big. Something I could tell my friends about that don't play Halo that would make them say "Damm, I can't believe they didn't delay that feature even longer". We got incremental improvement, and better tools than we've ever had, but that's all expected. Why we didn't get that in the launch window, who knows. But all I know is that I'm not amazed.

So you were expecting to switch over from your console exclusive game to PC? Sounds a little silly to me.

Does anybody know why it's delayed? I'm curious to know why now.

The only real reason I could imagine would be to refine it or improve upon, I mean if it had glitches they could just fix those post launch most likely, that being said it may just be another example of developers intentionally withholding content to release later on as to keep people playing, in any event I don't the delay hurting it too much, if at all.

Yeah but we are already have to cut features from games in order for them to run smoothly. I don't see this console generation lasting nearly as long as the Xbox 360 and PS3 era. Not to mention we are years behind the PCs of the time when the Xbox One and PS4 were released.

Graphics and even framerates have become less and less significant over the years, games look so realistic now that I doubt a game that ran at 120 fps would fair much better than a game at 60, I'm not arguing "PC master race" or whatever, its just that the inferiority of consoles now means far less than it ever has before.

• Downvote (-1) 1

While it's definitely not confirmation of presence or absence, particularly as the question asked about what game modes were 'seen,' but the answer to question 4 on the r/halo Community Cartographer AMA here is worrying.

Edit: it would appear that they are simply not allowed to speak about other game modes, largely due to the build they were playing.

Does anyone know if there is a mirror tool? Some objects aren't the same when you rotate them around so a mirror tool for objects and object groups would be amazing!

Does anyone know if there is a mirror tool? Some objects aren't the same when you rotate them around so a mirror tool for objects and object groups would be amazing!

Nokyard says there wasn't when the community went to 343, but they put in a feature request.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The new forge is cool and everything but we've been limited to 16 players since 2001.

It would be great to add that feature possibly in an update or something.

The Warzone pregame lobby has the capacity for 24 players thus, they may be able to add that in later.

Right I got that. I mean is that seriously a feature we should be paying for anyways? Just seemed like an odd thing to put in there, not really a huge deal or anything, i just didnt assume I would ever have to pay for anything Forge related.

I personally would never buy a new "Forge Pack" or something (totally made up), maybe some people would? I hope that isnt something that I ever see on Halo, seems too "nickel and dimey" for my taste.

Paying for maps - acceptable

Armor - acceptable

Weapon Skins - acceptable

Forge Pallet - maybe? Probably not.

You would pay for armor and not forge pallets?  :kappa:

The new forge is cool and everything but we've been limited to 16 players since 2001.

It would be great to add that feature possibly in an update or something.

The Warzone pregame lobby has the capacity for 24 players thus, they may be able to add that in later.

I brought this up and I'm told I'm grtying my panties in a wad. Like what? If I can have huge ass maps with AI and vehicles everywhere and play with 23 others, why not for customs when its all players?

As always, I'll do my best to give you guys the answers you seek and I will continue to be engaged here with this community up until launch and Beyond

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 8

Can we just delay forge forever, please. 

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

really.........FUCKING REALLY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRo9z5BOm3Q

btw this video is 50 50 on likes and dislikes.

WTF do 343 think they are doing. Lets just release unfinished games to the public. It will make people play the game longer.

I'm paying 60 for a completed game not a unfinished game that will be finished in the months to come.

I'm so done with this company

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

It is amazing that the we've been stuck at 16 players since the original Xbox. Two generations later, we get a higher player count but it's only locked to one gametype in matchmaking...

• Upvote (+1) 3

really.........FUCKING REALLY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRo9z5BOm3Q

btw this video is 50 50 on likes and dislikes.

WTF do 343 think they are doing. Lets just release unfinished games to the public. It will make people play the game longer.

I'm paying 60 for a completed game not a unfinished game that will be finished in the months to come.

I'm so done with this company

You're so done that you're still going to pay 60 bucks for it.

It's one or the other dude.

• Upvote (+1) 1

For those concerned (like myself) about file sharing and file browsers in Halo 5, the UI leak some time ago from the closed beta revealed a 'File Browser' section of the Spartan Hub menu, with 'Maps' and 'Modes' as the items within that menu. The Spartan Hub as seen in ReadyUpLive's Customization video features all of the elements of the leaked menu except for the File Browser, which perhaps indicates that such a browser is something that will be added to Halo 5 with Forge in December (which would have unfortunate consequences for the sharing of custom games within the 'Modes' section of the browser), or that it was simply disabled for the preview build the press and certain community members played, and mode sharing through the File Browser will be present at launch. Obviously, this is entirely speculation, as many things change throughout development, and while a File Browser was clearly on the table at one point, there is not guarantee that it remains there.

Up it to 24 in customs. Shouldve done that in the first place once they saw warzone was gonna be 12v12.

For those concerned (like myself) about file sharing and file browsers in Halo 5, the UI leak some time ago from the closed beta revealed a 'File Browser' section of the Spartan Hub menu, with 'Maps' and 'Modes' as the items within that menu. The Spartan Hub as seen in ReadyUpLive's Customization video features all of the elements of the leaked menu except for the File Browser, which perhaps indicates that such a browser is something that will be added to Halo 5 with Forge in December (which would have unfortunate consequences for the sharing of custom games within the 'Modes' section of the browser), or that it was simply disabled for the preview build the press and certain community members played, and mode sharing through the File Browser will be present at launch. Obviously, this is entirely speculation, as many things change throughout development, and while a File Browser was clearly on the table at one point, there is not guarantee that it remains there.

If you looked at the descriptions of those menus, you'd see that it isn't a file browser that we saw in Halo: Reach and Halo 4, it literally just lets you look at your saved maps and gametypes.

You're so done that you're still going to pay 60 bucks for it.

It's one or the other dude.

Iv'e been playing smite more than Halo Recently and CS:GO is one of the funnest games iv'e ever played. Yeah i'm seriously thinking about it.

Iv'e been playing smite more than Halo Recently and CS:GO is one of the funnest games iv'e ever played. Yeah i'm seriously thinking about it.

Your complaining will mean nothing if you still give them your 60 dollars at the end of the day.

It is amazing that the we've been stuck at 16 players since the original Xbox. Two generations later, we get a higher player count but it's only locked to one gametype in matchmaking...

I assume 343i fears that people will run their own version of Warzone in custom games, thus decreasing REQ pack sales, same logic behind not allowing variants in custom games, outside of that I don't see any reason why they wouldn't...

I think its funny how everyone was telling them they shouldn't increase the player limit, now that they did we're now complaining about not increasing the player limit in customs, kind of ironic I think.

343i not allowing players to tinker with Warzone tells me that 343i wants it to remain a closed environment, one that is more controllable, whether it is because of financial reasons or development reasons I cannot say.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you looked at the descriptions of those menus, you'd see that it isn't a file browser that we saw in Halo: Reach and Halo 4, it literally just lets you look at your saved maps and gametypes.

Well that's disappointing. I've asked @@Sal1ent about whether file sharing would be in Halo 5, and I hope the lack of a response is because he's attempting to avoid spoiling an announcement, though I'm not sure of the likelihood of a Custom Games/Theater/File Sharing information dump.