CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Yeah I figured it's just kinda odd to me they called it that instead of "Edit Mode" or something. Also, what does "[bake lights]" mean? Something to do with rendering the light and shadows when coming out of edit mode?

If you don't want to wait for the lighting to render you can spawn in without waiting

Forge being delayed = Edgy settings and bad forge maps will also be delayed :prayers:

Customs are day 1 tho

• Upvote (+1) 1

Will there be a day/night filter and a weather filter where you could make it rain or snow? It would be pretty awesome. I see that they already added fog so i'm really happy about that. I can only imagine a Predator game type being made where the map is in deep fog.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you don't want to wait for the lighting to render you can spawn in without waiting

That's great! It was always annoying having to wait for it to render every. single. time.

Thanks!

After seeing that morphing terrain...how much closer can we get to be actually able to edit terrain ?

Also, glad that forge maps finally wont look so fking ugly. I would almost say the better pieces will look as good as the original HCE maps.

Will there be a day/night filter and a weather filter where you could make it rain or snow? It would be pretty awesome. I see that they already added fog so i'm really happy about that. I can only imagine a Predator game type being made where the map is in deep fog.

"Each of these maps has three different lighting themes that change the mood of the map. The themes changes general level lighting, background skybox, and other various effects; several of which are tunable in the map settings."

I'm not saying it's everything I dreamed of either but I am curious, what were you expecting or rather what was not included so that this announcement was more 'meh' to you?

I was expecting 343 to give us tools to make maps on a less limited platform. Something more precise, fast, and easy, like with mouse and keyboard. There's just a ton of limitations with a controller, and I thought with Windows 10 they were going to make a generational leap in Halo. A true map editor. A way to control the template of the maps, a way to control surfaces in a better way. A way to browse the maps or have a live preview, or something else in the line of finding cool new maps. Maybe something with procedurally generated environments, or an environmental randomizer so that you can get past "writers block" and improvise. Idk, I just wanted to see something big. Something I could tell my friends about that don't play Halo that would make them say "Damm, I can't believe they didn't delay that feature even longer". We got incremental improvement, and better tools than we've ever had, but that's all expected. Why we didn't get that in the launch window, who knows. But all I know is that I'm not amazed.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

@@Sal1ent

Is there *any* chance that we could see AI placed into Forge? Like have an AI spawn point with time/enemy/number options and some primitive waypoint markers? Something simple like that? 

I would really really like to see that, make some city maps with Jackal snipers roaming the roofs, some Elites with swords defensive maps?

I will give you as many internet points as I can muster if this was a feature.

Forge looks incredible, I don't understand how it isn't ready for launch though.  If it is finished, what is the logic behind the delay?

I've been a bit harsh on Halo 5 (&343... to some extent).  I think it's just because I'm remaining cautious after Halo 4 and MCC.  Halo 5 looks light years ahead of Halo 4 and in my opinion Reach as well.  It looks like 343 have really hit their vision with this game and I just disagree with a few aspects (sprint mostly).  The majority of the design decisions have been excellent, so I'm sorry @@Sal1ent if I have come across as arrogant/rude but at the end of the day I'm just another concerned fan.  I think a lot of people here have the right to be concerned, given recent history.  What makes this forum great compared to other communities is that these concerns are heard and are mostly debated well, by people of all sides.  Let's hope Halo 5 is successful and restores the great reputation Halo had in the mainstream.

• Upvote (+1) 2

if you think it will help, just start practicing right now so that when halo 5 drops you're all set

Already have a stomachache holy shit.

"Each of these maps has three different lighting themes that change the mood of the map. The themes changes general level lighting, background skybox, and other various effects; several of which are tunable in the map settings."

I know but it wasn't specific for all we know one of those three different themes can be this. 

nova.jpg

I'm pretty sure we will get a night feature, just want to make sure though :b

I was expecting 343 to give us tools to make maps on a less limited platform. Something more precise, fast, and easy, like with mouse and keyboard. There's just a ton of limitations with a controller, and I thought with Windows 10 they were going to make a generational leap in Halo. A true map editor. A way to control the template of the maps, a way to control surfaces in a better way. A way to browse the maps or have a live preview, or something else in the line of finding cool new maps. Maybe something with procedurally generated environments, or an environmental randomizer so that you can get past "writers block" and improvise. Idk, I just wanted to see something big. Something I could tell my friends about that don't play Halo that would make them say "Damm, I can't believe they didn't delay that feature even longer". We got incremental improvement, and better tools than we've ever had, but that's all expected. Why we didn't get that in the launch window, who knows. But all I know is that I'm not amazed.

I don't know if this jump is incremental, it's actually fairly huge. And honestly, this forge being on pc wouldn't even offer that much of an advantage over a controller. Once the controls become second nature to you the process becomes so streamlined and seamless, especially with the new perfection tools to mesh everything together.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It'll likely be covered a bit in The Sprint.

Since it's coming later my guess would be that it will be covered in one of the November sprint episodes

I don't know if this jump is incremental, it's actually fairly huge. And honestly, this forge being on pc wouldn't even offer that much of an advantage over a controller. Once the controls become second nature to you the process becomes so streamlined and seamless, especially with the new perfection tools to mesh everything together.

I disagree obviously. I think it's a logical step but just lacks the bug punch. It's just not there. That's why they only released this little 3 minute trailer 3 weeks prior to launch and half the time they just have forgers saying "this is totally a dream come true it's totes amazeballs I can't even sleep it's just crazy cool". I want a trailer that showcases a giant feature that is so ambitious that people need to hear more about it. Not a bunch of on site interviews about grouping objects.

And we don't even know where 343 could have started with PC usage. It's not JUST about ease of use. There's all kinds of things possible with PC that aren't on Xbox one with a controller. We have no idea what they would have come up with.

MCC is what happens when you don't delay

MCC is what happens when you don't even give a shit and ship the project off to people who have no idea what the fuck they're doing. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

At this point, I'm positive a lot of you guys will complain about anything.

I'm a huge fan of Forge and have put hundreds of hours into making maps since Halo 3. My love for game design started with Forge. With that said, I feel like the majority of people on this forum don't even care about Forge. Seriously. How many of you people visit the Forge section on Beyond or any other site? How many of you actually download maps and play them? Every time a new Halo game comes out, dozens of incredible maps built by our community are immediately shit on by people because it's something different. Why is everyone pissed about a minor delay on a feature that they don't invest any time into?

I love Forge, but I'm okay with playing the game for several weeks before I can build anything. Halo 5 has completely new mechanics and sandbox. Do you really expect people to develop amazing maps with those new features in mind on day one? Yeah, I agree that it's shitty that we're not getting the complete game at launch, but holy shit I think we'll be okay. The only thing that I think will be hurting the most are the fun maps like racetracks, infection, speedball, etc.

Anyways, the new Forge looks sick. A lot of these new features and improvements will definitely make creating maps more enjoyable. I just hope the objects will be not as resource intensive to avoid any framerate issues.

Only complaint is that forge wont be at launch. I'm seriously hyped but damn, we called it. Customs will suck for the first month

. I'm seriously hyped but damn, we called it.

Hahahahaha

well shit happens