CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Forge looks amazing, but it releasing two months after launch is going to hinder the Forge community greatly. Will 343 ever released a fully functional game at launch?

OBJECT COLORING

This is the most underrated new feature included to forge.

Don't think that's underrated at all. It's arguably the #1 request for Forge.

hmmm 

OBJECT COLORING

This is the most underrated new feature included to forge. The ability to select color allows us to create awareness, contrast and depth within our spaces. Increased visual customization of our objects directly enhances performance because our old habits of using complex detailed objects to produce a desired color are no longer necessary.

There are about 128 colors to select from! This will allow you to fully cover a piece with a single color or choose to articulate a piece with trim color by appropriating secondary and tertiary color selections. It is really incredible how many colors we get to select from now.

In addition to this there is a 'metallic reflection' slider that allows you to increase the reflective quality of your surfaces. Please note that this does not change the 'texture' of your block.

Q&A going on here from the forgers

http://www.forgehub.com/threads/halo-5-forge-discussion-with-cartographers.149220/

I've been saying this for yearsssss

For me personally I was very very excited about the forge announcement despite the delayed released date. While it would be ideal to have it at launch there are a lot of things to still take in (and process) about today's announcement:

No PC/app Version?: I know some people (like you Brett, not picking on you ;)) who are disappointed about the announcement, saying it doesn't go far enough, or isn't some sort of map editor program on Windows 10. While those are good ideas and I'm personally a huge fan of the idea, there are issues at hand:

• There's no real-world stress test, meaning if the program were on PC it could have artificial barriers as to what the Xbox One can handle, but it wouldn't be a true test.
  • Second, everyone might not have the money for a computer that could run such a program. As silly as it seems, some folks do not have the money for an Xbox One AND a computer that could run such a theoretical program. I know other games have it (FarCry) but usually those are delegated to PC only, which leads to my next point
  • There currently may not be a good way to port maps to the Xbox One. We do know there is going to be mod support in the future for other games (like Fallout 4) but their limitations and restrictions are not yet known. We don't know if there are issues transferring such content. On top of that, although very unlikely, this method does increase the risk of malicious software being where it shouldn't

Forge looks CRAZY: While it is by no means as intuitive/thorough as the FarCry Map Editor it still is very impressive. Keep in mind that Halo 5 is an Xbox One console game, meaning they are already limited by a very under-powered console (again this console STRUGGLED to run Titanfall at 60fps) which in turns more fine tuning -- this is only a good thing. As we've seen from the Digital Foundry footage Halo 5 is making 60fps a pillar in its design philosophy. This 'rule' could have been a direct result of the delay of Forge. Like we've seen from H2A forge was not in great shape and needed much improvement. I have a feeling much of the delay is trying to fine tune Halo 5's engine to withstand the enormous amount of objects and take into account all of the new weather and lighting physics. If the two month delay means we don't get miserable framerates on forge maps I think everyone is supportive of the notion despite how much it may suck right now. Anyways:

• Did you see all the shit they added? Color shaders, lighting effects, map terrain, weather effects, better shading/shadows, THOUSANDS of objects (although there may be quite a few already re-skins), and better game-scripting. I can already think of hundreds of ideas I immediately want to test out in forge the second I can.
  • Better controls. Object grouping, rotation, welding, all of these aspects will open up faster and new avenues in terms of producing maps.

Am I perfectly content with the delay? Of course not, I am spending $60 and I do expect to have a completed project and it's not great that it is being delayed. However, given the nature of game releases since this console generation (seriously there have been shit games, MCC being the worst let's not forget that) I can totally understand and appreciate the notion of 343 trying to make sure their shit works this time around. That isn't to say don't be cautious (I am still fully willing to refund my copy if this game is doodoo) but I don't think this is one of the moves we should be getting our panties in a twist about.

Reading your posts on forums and playing with you in game makes you seem like two different people.

Like I imagine every typo you make.. "no keyboard, sorry you're wrong. I hit the space bar. Thanks Microsoft, great OS. Guess I need air duster DLC! Classic windows right there".

You make some good points about the varying power of PCs, however I only felt that a multi month delay was only justified if my jaw dropped. It didn't. Not finding a way to utilize Windows in this 3 and a half year project is one thing, but still delivering late without it? Idk. I'm disappointed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not a forger but I love having fun, random custom games with coworkers or friends in random maps. Also, again, I'm not a forger, but changing the layout of the map by moving or adding small things in a Disck map is important. So..

Does that mean that several playlists for Matchmaking are gonna be released after weeks? Or delayed for months until the Forge feature is done? Idk, it brings up more questions and worriness for me. I'm extremely happy with all the changes and additions for Forge, but a bit disappointed that it'll come out later this year.

Are we going to get gametypes info soon...? How about fileshare info? Custom games info? Like the next coming weeks, right?

Reading your posts on forums and playing with you in game makes you seem like two different people.

Like I imagine every typo you make.. "no keyboard, sorry you're wrong. I hit the space bar. Thanks Microsoft, great OS. Guess I need air duster DLC! Classic windows right there".

You make some good points about the varying power of PCs, however I only felt that a multi month delay was only justified if my jaw dropped. It didn't. Not finding a way to utilize Windows in this 3 and a half year project is one thing, but still delivering late without it? Idk. I'm disappointed.

I'm not saying it's everything I dreamed of either but I am curious, what were you expecting or rather what was not included so that this announcement was more 'meh' to you?

I think that Space map is at Delta Halo. That would mean Lisbon Station was the one in the 'Chief is dead' trailer. It'd make sense if they were trying to mirror H2, what with the MAC platforms being in one of the Sprint episodes, two campaign perspectives, the Arbiter being present and probably some other stuff I've forgotten. Bringing back Delta Halo would be a smarter move than a new ring.

Oh, so now people notice ForgeHub.

Not trying to sound like an ass but that site has been up and down more times than I can remember. Is it back again?

Not trying to sound like an ass but that site has been up and down more times than I can remember. Is it back again?

We've been back for years!

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have one question. How can a game that has been in development for years not have BTB, Forge and who knows what else not available at launch? You'd think with all the shit we've endured with MCC, this game would be feature complete at launch. I just don't get it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

And please... stick to the promised deadline. Make December, December.

They might as well just say Dec. 24. We all know that's going to be the release date.

Hey guys... I was thinking of making a series leading up to H5 (or maybe do it for h5) of me getting used to southpaw after over a decade of default (bumper jumper)..

I am VERY average when it comes to aiming skills. I tried everything to improve my aim these past few years and it has been very frustrating. 90 percent of my kills are from outsmarting them, not outBR-ing (maybe sometimes if its a good day). But I have recently discovered something.

I found out my left thumb would have been better at aiming if I used southpaw from the very beginning. I discovered this first by swirling (ogre-twitching) the analog and realizing I couldn't do it counter-clockwise. But with my left thumb, I could do both ways perfectly and very quickly.

It would be very interesting to see if I can sacrifice my years of second nature practice completely and learn ALL OVER AGAIN to hopefully become better than before. day by day. frustration, raging and asking why have I done this to myself.

Im debating whether I should start during h5, or now and lead up to h5. but what do you sexy people think?

• Upvote (+1) 4

That's disappointing. If 343 doesn't bring back the file sharing system we once knew and loved, all of these forge innovations will be for nothing. Please 343, allow file sharing both in-game and via Waypoint. Don't delay it.

I have one question. How can a game that has been in development for years not have BTB, Forge and who knows what else not available at launch? You'd think with all the shit we've endured with MCC, this game would be feature complete at launch. I just don't get it.

I'm sure they can put BTB in at launch, but they want to make people play Warzone instead.

I can't wait to play Skycastle again along with the new creations that will be made in Forge. This Forge looks like its going to be the best forge in the series. This will keep the community together just like it did in the Halo 3 and Reach era. Can't wait.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh, so now people notice ForgeHub.

ForgeHub is the first Forge community I learned about, and it goes so far back and I don't remember when that was. Just because there hasn't been a reason to discuss it doesn't mean they've been forgotten and written off. It's always where I go when I'm looking for content. Even their occasional tournaments are good.

It's just been unfortunate in the sense that Forge wasn't delivering with Halo 4 and MCC, and therefore, it was hard for them (or other Forge communities) to get spotlight. I hope the future is bright for them. They've been around for a while and are home to some amazing talent.