CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

the only people that are legitimately going to be upset about forge not being there at launch are the forgers, and they're probably not even going to be upset because most forgers are patient, and are extremely happy about the new features being implemented.

They're happy about the game pretty much being delayed two months for them.

Ok.

• Upvote (+1) 1

We have a dedicated live team established for this game with a sustain plan including new content and features that extends months beyond launch. There will be people in the war room, 24-7 throughout launch (I'll be one of them), monitoring the game and community to address any unforeseen issues that crop up.

When I don't answer questions, it's either due to a lack of time (we are insanely busy prepping for launch) or because there is a planned announce that I can't spoil. As always, I'll do my best to give you guys the answers you seek and I will continue to be engaged here with this community up until launch and Beyond

NOTE: I sometimes take a hiatus when people are deliberately disrespectful and I don't want to be a dick in response. :)

I'm just going to assume that which gametypes launch with the game are part of the planned announces you're not able to spoil. Hope to hear about them soon. :D

• Upvote (+1) 2

We have a dedicated live team established for this game with a sustain plan including new content and features that extends months beyond launch. There will be people in the war room, 24-7 throughout launch (I'll be one of them), monitoring the game and community to address any unforeseen issues that crop up.

When I don't answer questions, it's either due to a lack of time (we are insanely busy prepping for launch) or because there is a planned announce that I can't spoil. As always, I'll do my best to give you guys the answers you seek and I will continue to be engaged here with this community up until launch and Beyond

NOTE: I sometimes take a hiatus when people are deliberately disrespectful and I don't want to be a dick in response. :)

Good to hear my man! :) Ok, I'll keep that in mind.

Edit: I'm sorry if I'm being disrespectful or being a dick, I'm just very passion for this game and it hurts me and the community with the way MCC happened. I really do hope H5 will be successful, just simply disagree with some of the choices you guys make but hey, that happens and that's life! :) Thank you for taking the time to post here, it's very unique to talk to game developers. Let's hope for a smooth launch! *thumbs up*

Edit 2: Also it's midterm week for me, so I'm just extra cranky with all of the stuff going on. I am sorry if I came off being disrespectful to you. That was not my intention.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yo can  we make a vote that icey map is for HCS that shit looks solid

We are Xbox friends.

Word my bad, haven't even takled to most of the Halo players I used to talk to lol

They're happy about the game pretty much being delayed two months for them.

Ok.

they're not going to be happy, but they will definitely not going to be mad either. Like I said, most forgers are patient (some spend months on ONE map) so they will probably be waiting it out until forge releases. No big deal.

sweet i can't wait to see whats next :D

@@Sal1ent

Is it Against your NDA to state "some feature" is not in the game.

Like if i said Robots are not in FIFA 16, is that against nda?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm a bit upset we won't get forge until December because that's delaying all the great community creation fun we would already be having..... but after hearing Ducain talk about how the wait will be worth it and how amazing it is I'm honestly fine with it. Sure it still bugs me a bit but I'm really just hoping it'll be worth it. Some of those features looked amazing! Symmetrical maps will be so much easier to make now and also we can add fire! :D

But how are bomb, extraction, KOTH etc announcements that need not be spoiled..... :eyes:

All this talk about Forge and nobody even noticed that a sarcastic Peter Serafinowicz is replacing Cortana for the next 10 years.

Forge looks really fantastic; it's great to see precision editing return and object grouping added. Props to Tom French and his team. It's a shame (particularly for custom games) that it won't be present at Halo 5's launch, but at least 343i have been transparent about it, such that those individuals for whom this is an issue are aware of it before the game releases. One thing I would have liked to have seen more detail on however, are the systems they have/will have in place for the sharing and highlighting of Forge maps.

I wonder what this will mean for Halo 5's reviews, particularly as we get closer to October 27. While I would assume, particularly after the MCC, most major review sites will hold off on scored reviews until some short time after launch so as to test the multiplayer 'in the wild;' will they update their review in December in light of Forge's addition? Will they review Forge separately? Obviously these are questions only the reviewers can answer, but it's interesting to see how this 'traditional' element of games criticism adapts to widespread patching (particularly regarding multiplayer functionality) and the rise of games-as-a-service.

A Forge preview program would be interesting, and would both allow the feature to launch in December with a slew of community-made maps and ensure that a number of individuals are already proficient with the new tools such that good maps continue to be made relatively soon following Forge's release. @@Sal1ent is this something that has been considered, or do the 'Community Cartographers' have a similar role?

• Upvote (+1) 1

At this point, I'm positive a lot of you guys will complain about anything.

I'm a huge fan of Forge and have put hundreds of hours into making maps since Halo 3. My love for game design started with Forge. With that said, I feel like the majority of people on this forum don't even care about Forge. Seriously. How many of you people visit the Forge section on Beyond or any other site? How many of you actually download maps and play them? Every time a new Halo game comes out, dozens of incredible maps built by our community are immediately shit on by people because it's something different. Why is everyone pissed about a minor delay on a feature that they don't invest any time into?

I love Forge, but I'm okay with playing the game for several weeks before I can build anything. Halo 5 has completely new mechanics and sandbox. Do you really expect people to develop amazing maps with those new features in mind on day one? Yeah, I agree that it's shitty that we're not getting the complete game at launch, but holy shit I think we'll be okay. The only thing that I think will be hurting the most are the fun maps like racetracks, infection, speedball, etc.

Anyways, the new Forge looks sick. A lot of these new features and improvements will definitely make creating maps more enjoyable. I just hope the objects will be not as resource intensive to avoid any framerate issues.

I just had to post this again  :goat:

For me personally I was very very excited about the forge announcement despite the delayed released date. While it would be ideal to have it at launch there are a lot of things to still take in (and process) about today's announcement:

No PC/app Version?: I know some people (like you Brett, not picking on you ;)) who are disappointed about the announcement, saying it doesn't go far enough, or isn't some sort of map editor program on Windows 10. While those are good ideas and I'm personally a huge fan of the idea, there are issues at hand:

• There's no real-world stress test, meaning if the program were on PC it could have artificial barriers as to what the Xbox One can handle, but it wouldn't be a true test.
  • Second, everyone might not have the money for a computer that could run such a program. As silly as it seems, some folks do not have the money for an Xbox One AND a computer that could run such a theoretical program. I know other games have it (FarCry) but usually those are delegated to PC only, which leads to my next point
  • There currently may not be a good way to port maps to the Xbox One. We do know there is going to be mod support in the future for other games (like Fallout 4) but their limitations and restrictions are not yet known. We don't know if there are issues transferring such content. On top of that, although very unlikely, this method does increase the risk of malicious software being where it shouldn't

Forge looks CRAZY: While it is by no means as intuitive/thorough as the FarCry Map Editor it still is very impressive. Keep in mind that Halo 5 is an Xbox One console game, meaning they are already limited by a very under-powered console (again this console STRUGGLED to run Titanfall at 60fps) which in turn means more fine tuning -- this is only a good thing. As we've seen from the Digital Foundry footage Halo 5 is making 60fps a pillar in its design philosophy. This 'rule' could have been a direct result of the delay of Forge. Like we've seen from H2A forge was not in great shape and needed much improvement. I have a feeling much of the delay is trying to fine tune Halo 5's engine to withstand the enormous amount of objects and take into account all of the new weather and lighting physics. If the two month delay means we don't get miserable framerates on forge maps I think everyone is supportive of the notion despite how much it may suck right now. Anyways:

• Did you see all the shit they added? Color shaders, lighting effects, map terrain, weather effects, better shading/shadows, THOUSANDS of objects (although there may be quite a few already re-skins), and better game-scripting. I can already think of hundreds of ideas I immediately want to test out in forge the second I can.
  • Better controls. Object grouping, rotation, welding, all of these aspects will open up faster and new avenues in terms of producing maps.

Am I perfectly content with the delay? Of course not, I am spending $60 and I do expect to have a completed project and it's not great that it is being delayed. However, given the nature of game releases since this console generation (seriously there have been shit games, MCC being the worst let's not forget that) I can totally understand and appreciate the notion of 343 trying to make sure their shit works this time around. That isn't to say don't be cautious (I am still fully willing to refund my copy if this game is doodoo) but I don't think this is one of the moves we should be getting our panties in a twist about.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

hmmm 

OBJECT COLORING
This is the most underrated new feature included to forge. The ability to select color allows us to create awareness, contrast and depth within our spaces. Increased visual customization of our objects directly enhances performance because our old habits of using complex detailed objects to produce a desired color are no longer necessary.

There are about 128 colors to select from! This will allow you to fully cover a piece with a single color or choose to articulate a piece with trim color by appropriating secondary and tertiary color selections. It is really incredible how many colors we get to select from now.

In addition to this there is a 'metallic reflection' slider that allows you to increase the reflective quality of your surfaces. Please note that this does not change the 'texture' of your block.

Q&A going on here from the forgers

http://www.forgehub.com/threads/halo-5-forge-discussion-with-cartographers.149220/

• Upvote (+1) 3

Most likely looking at Halo 2 side by side with Forge to remake a map. I'm sure that was what he was doing with that clip of Headlong in the video.

Which is weird when reach has an amazing remake of headlong you can access through forge to see geometry better.

Although if this means Headlong will be part of the BTB post launch, then I can't wait. Always one of my favourite H2 maps for customs and BTB.