CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

well what are some things halo does well, and what would you do to bolster that?

It's not that Halo does anything "well" in comparison to other shooters, necessarily, it just is what it is. It'd be hard to make that comparison between almost any shooter. The nearest neighbor that I can think of to the general idea of Halo is Gears of War, and the whole shields thing alone still draws quite a large divide between the way they are played.

Now if you get into it between Halo games, that's another story.

We will be communicating launch playlist plans in the next couple of weeks. To answer a common question here: yes, there are more than four game types that will appear in matchmaking.

Great to hear, hoping we can see some Oddball/KoTH/Assault/Extraction gameplay before the 27th. Interested to see how they play in Halo 5's sandbox.

-snip-

Is there any chance of seeing a weapon damage modifier in custom gamess?

Also, are big team maps that are added post-launch counted with the official map count or are those additional to the 20 or so maps we've heard we're getting at launch?

The defensive capacity of all these abilities would be nullified with a faster ttk and a higher skill-gap on the weapons. Almost every single problem with Halo over the past decade can be traced back to the increasingly slow kill times and lack of weapon skill-gap.

This is true but I think what they're suggesting is that the abilities have a bigger offensive upside that would make them coexist with a faster TTK. Problem is that all the abilities are melee-range abilities, we don't have any abilities that actually augment our shooting power.

@@Sal1ent

Could you take some time to talk about 343's art design "principles" for both Warzone and Arena maps?
I think lots of people really enjoy RoA7's aesthetics with this mixture of vegetation and forerunner structures while lots of people are not really satisfied with the rather monotonous UNSC theme of lots of the Arena maps, will we get some more visually „interesting“/“unique“ (I probably did not use the right words here but I hope you guys understand) Arena maps

@@Sal1ent Forge, Custom Games (player count most importantly. The game is finished. You guys know this answer. 24 or 16? Which is it?), and Theater are large portions of the series and we have literally heard zero information about any of these features from 343 and the release is one month away. Do you guys have a plan to announce what's new with Forge, Customs Games, and Theater?

And the reason the lack of 343 bring up these features concerns me is when you guys did this for the Theater in Halo 4 (where you guys refused to talk about it and we found out through leakers), it turned out to be the weakest iteration of Theater in the series. I really hope this isn't the reason for the lack of info for Halo 5 Theater, Forge, and Custom Games. If it isn't and it's worth being excited about, announce the info yourself instead of relying on some kid leaking all of it.

This is true but I think what they're suggesting is that the abilities have a bigger offensive upside that would make them coexist with a faster TTK. Problem is that all the abilities are melee-range abilities, we don't have any abilities that actually augment our shooting power.

Stabilizers augments your shooting ability.

rather that we want them to encourage more offensive play styles, Not that they already have them obviously.

Customs are 16 player max. We'll have info regarding Forge #soon, likely next week.

aw man.

Customs are 16 player max. We'll have info regarding Forge #soon, likely next week.

:bman:

we need to bring out the soon gifs again...

This is the reason I was so against H5 abilities, because they create the illusion of complexity, where in reality they are either items of habit (like thrust) or have such niche uses that they don't matter at all (slide).

How about that, someone actually listens to the shit I say once in a while.

This is something that I don't think people actually consider when they're talking about Halo. How many other shooters out there are both team games and actually involve significant amounts of teamshooting? There actually aren't that many, not that reasonably match up with the Halo schema anyway. Halo is a very unique shooter, but lately it's been trying to incorporate broader ideas (and by this I mean "shamelessly stealing") from other game series or other veins of shooters.

It doesn't seem like anyone is sitting down and asking themselves, "what actually complements Halo's base gameplay"? Instead, they're throwing shit at the wall and just watching out for cascading advantages instead of actually doing anything to bolster what Halo already does well. Or to put it another way that I said a while back, Halo these days is about removing negative influences instead of adding positive influences. What you get is a formless, gray mass of Halo goop that functions at a bare minimum.

It's been interesting to note the reaction of many in games media over the last week to their hands-on experience with Halo 5, with a number expressing disappointment with how similar they perceived Halo 5 to be to its predecessors (particularly when the campaign embargo lifted), a reaction wholly different to that on these forums. It would appear that there is pressure on 343i to 'evolve' Halo, regardless of whether this 'evolution' is necessary or beneficial, which begs the question: if Halo is defined in many was by its simplicity, how do you add something to it without betraying that criterion or breaking some key element of the experience? The experience could be refined and ancillary features added/expanded, but the pressure to alter the core gameplay in some fashion would remain, unfortunately. In that way, the more niche Spartan Abilities are perhaps less egregious, as they give journalists something to write about in their previews, without drastically altering the core gameplay.

Pro gameplay will come out in the next couple of weeks. Plan for mid-October and if it comes out sooner then bonus.

These are still coming. We're building for release into the REQ system post-launch as part of the hundreds of additional items that will be released. I've seen the near-final version of the SPNKr model and it looks awesome.

We will be communicating launch playlist plans in the next couple of weeks. To answer a common question here: yes, there are more than four game types that will appear in matchmaking.

Good to hear, thanks for the update. Are there plans to discuss Custom Games and Theater before launch (I'm particularly wondering about the presence of Campaign Theater)?

Yes, more combative Spartan Abilities with a somewhat faster TTK is what I (and others) was(/were) getting at. While clearly long range engagements wouldn't benefit from this; if, in another case we examine the situation where map size necessitates sprinting, then the overall pace of the game would be improved if Sprint didn't force the player to lower their weapon.

How many arena maps are left that we haven't seen yet?

It's been interesting to note the reaction of many in games media over the last week to their hands-on experience with Halo 5, with a number expressing disappointment with how similar they perceived Halo 5 to be to its predecessors (particularly when the campaign embargo lifted), a reaction wholly different to that on these forums. It would appear that there is pressure on 343i to 'evolve' Halo, regardless of whether this 'evolution' is necessary or beneficial, which begs the question: if Halo is defined in many was by its simplicity, how do you add something to it without betraying that criterion or breaking some key element of the experience? The experience could be refined and ancillary features added/expanded, but the pressure to alter the core gameplay in some fashion would remain, unfortunately. In that way, the more niche Spartan Abilities are perhaps less egregious, as they give journalists something to write about in their previews, without drastically altering the core gameplay.

Good to hear, thanks for the update. Are there plans to discuss Custom Games and Theater before launch (I'm particularly wondering about the presence of Campaign Theater)?

Yes, more combative Spartan Abilities with a somewhat faster TTK is what I (and others) was(/were) getting at. While clearly long range engagements wouldn't benefit from this; if, in another case we examine the situation where map size necessitates sprinting, then the overall pace of the game would be improved if Sprint didn't force the player to lower their weapon.

I don't think halo can benefit from having two movement abilities,

I don't think halo can benefit from having two movement abilities,

I don't think Sprint will be removed, outside of perhaps HWC Season 2 if the pro player community is vocal about its negative impact. Otherwise, it's pretty evident at this point that it's here to stay. If saying 'please remove Sprint' doesn't yield results, isn't it prudent to attempt to minimize the unfortunate consequences of its inclusion instead?

I'm gonna be that guy that want's to know even more about the other gametypes. Does Infection still use flood models? Will we see the return of VIP, Juggernaut, and Assault to the mainline games?

Another thing I have often said is that if you were to sit down and say "what new gameplay feature can I add to CE that would make it better all around", you would be sitting there for a long time tapping your pencil. We've talked about how we're just trying to get back to square one with the Halo series in terms of functionality, but the reality is that it's hard to progress from that point. H1 is so simple and yet so effective it boggles the mind. It's a difficult task and I'm fully willing to admit that. The problem I have is that almost everything that we've seen added to Halo is, in my opinion, not a result of someone respecting the original Halo formula and just attempting to experiment, but rather throwing certain aspects completely out the window in favor of crowd-pleasers.

This is also another reason I made that video about spin-offs - it's much easier to build a new experience from scratch. It's a far more simple matter for me to sit down and bring to you a completely new Halo experience with completely different mechanics that still plays like a fast-paced shooter, it's just not going to be based around a strong utility weapon, recharging shields, and a sandbox where no weapons overlap.

Well, that'd be Step 1 on a list of about 647 steps...