CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I see the 'hate halo' quote is still being taken out of context. Lol

There is literally no context that vindicates that quote.

were they jizzing about having a good strafe, or about simply being able to even strafe at all after reach?

dat crispy strafe, tho

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You know, I don't think it would be a bad idea to allow REQs to be unlocked by default in competitive settings. Like, if we feel that the AR needs more range for whatever absurd reason (just as an example), we can an change that. If we feel that the BR needs more range for whatever absurd reason, we can do (again, just an example).

I could definitely see them adding some good variety to competitive play if they were ever allowed. There are certainly issues associated with this, such as the fact that a lot of REQs are (along with it being potentially insane), the REQs that would be chosen, etc. I doubt it'll happen, especially with 343's insistance on using the default settings, but a man can dream, can't we?

But to avoid confusion, I do NOT mean that individual players would be able to pick their own REQs. I mean that some REQs could be standard across competitive play.

the main problem with the variants to me is just how complicated or fragile they make they make balancing, like say for example you change one weapon, that means you change all the variants as well, that being said there are certain situations that would probably call for a variant being used instead of default, we shall see anyway.

I have a strong feeling we're only getting Slayer, CTF, Strongholds, and Breakout for Arena at launch. While I disagree with this reasoning, I feel like 343 will be adding in gametypes like Oddball, KOTH, and Extraction at later dates(maybe with DLC maps) to "spice things up" in HCS or something.

I recall 343i at one point saying that it was simply a matter of the game being rushed, and so they didn't have the time or resources to put them in, however they may actually end up releasing them post launch to get people to continue playing for longer, which really isn't bad I think as long as they are free.

Don't forget about Assault man.

Hated 100% everything about Halo or just hated the way Halo played?

I need context.

Context doesn't matter. It was said in a vidoc about Halo 4 IIRC. Doesn't even matter anymore tbh because the game ships in a month. Whatever they wanted is in the game.

It takes months for fixes to come to play. So even if it launches and people hate all the mechanics of H5, when they fix it those people won't care. They will be playing other games.

Hopefully it doesn't just end there. To my knowledge, the Warder Eternal is the final boss and once it's dead, there is nothing else. Becomes a straight up Slayer game until one team hits 1000 points.

It doesn't end there. I just meant that the very last hit to kill the boss gets ALL the points for that team, so it was really epic to see both teams on both sides fighting over the potential game winning amount of points. After the boss is killed they still fight for points by slaying and also they could win by destroying the enemy's core (after capturing all bases).

"We had people who we hired who hated Halo because of 'X,'" says O'Connor. "But what that really meant was, 'I feel like this game could be awesome because of 'Y input' that I'm going to bring into it. I want to prove it, and I'm passionate about proving it.' So we ended up with a bunch of people who were genuinely passionate about the product. That is a huge advantage, and that helped in hiring and forming our team."

He worded it pretty poorly but he's basically saying they hired people who hated certain aspects of Halo in an attempt to bring changes or new life to those things.

It's funny that people on these forums take issue with that though, since a large group literally sit here and hate on Halo, and no I'm not talking about Halo 4. Hating on aspects of Halo going back to H2.

Edit: Example, what if one of those hires hated the addition of armor abilities and loadouts? Would you guys be upset that 343 hired them?

• Upvote (+1) 8

Bullet Sponging and a lot of Standing Around 

Halo 5 AI so far 

I like the new animations though very refreshing

I've seen them get kills on players so they seem pretty effective.

"We had people who we hired who hated Halo because of 'X,'" says O'Connor. "But what that really meant was, 'I feel like this game could be awesome because of 'Y input' that I'm going to bring into it. I want to prove it, and I'm passionate about proving it.' So we ended up with a bunch of people who were genuinely passionate about the product. That is a huge advantage, and that helped in hiring and forming our team."

He worded it pretty poorly but he's basically saying they hired people who hated certain aspects of Halo in an attempt to bring changes or new life to those things.

The absolute most charitable way that you can possibly take that quote is that rather than being "worded poorly", it was the most wrong thing to possibly say about the situation and had nothing to do with anything whatsoever.

It's funny that people on these forums take issue with that though, since a large group literally sit here and hate on Halo, and no I'm not talking about Halo 4. Hating on aspects of Halo going back to H2.

The problems of Halo 2 still exist, undeterred.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I know this is a tiny nitpick compared to other things, but I really hope that there is a setting to make sure the winning team shows up on top on the bottom right.

This just doesn't look right: https://gyazo.com/ebcb5772ccac4801418e078042a9589d

Agreed. I don't want to have to look for a few seconds longer to figure out if I'm winning or not. I'm pretty sure Destiny is the same way. I don't understand the reasoning behind doing it this way. 

It doesn't end there. I just meant that the very last hit to kill the boss gets ALL the points for that team, so it was really epic to see both teams on both sides fighting over the potential game winning amount of points. After the boss is killed they still fight for points by slaying and also they could win by destroying the enemy's core (after capturing all bases).

I mean, sure. But I just find it weird that the game will go on for X amount of time and then once the Warden Eternal has been killed, there are no more bosses. Seems like it just kills the flow entirely.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The absolute most charitable way that you can possibly take that quote is that rather than being "worded poorly", it was the most wrong thing to possibly say about the situation and had nothing to do with anything whatsoever.

The problems of Halo 2 still exist, undeterred.

That's what he meant though, that quote was talked about to death and explained many times. It's not my problem if people still want to get butthurt over it years later. You don't really think 343 hired a bunch of people that hate everything about Halo do you?

Besides, wouldn't hiring people who have no issues with Halo and love it, be just as terrible? Reach was the current Halo at the time of these hirings and many of us felt like it was easily the worst entry in the series until H4.

If we are talking about loving Halo in the sense that you love what Halo originally was, then fine. But even still most of the people who loved Halo CE, hate what it has become over the years.

My point is that there is WAY TOO MANY ifs, ors and buts regarding that quote for it to be some kind of rallying point for bashing 343.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I don't like it at all, what I see a lot of players doing is simply waiting until the boss is weakened enough, then they shoot it with a sniper or rocket and they get the kill, despite putting almost no effort into it to begin with.

I've seen them get kills on players so they seem pretty effective.

arguable. I think it may be strictly a promethean thing judging from all the recent warzone games I saw, covenant (and humans kinda) seem to function ok, whereas the prometheans (I'm looking at you eternal promethean whatever) are typically pretty stupid.

captain Hasbro or whatever (the boss in the promethean aircraft) was a complete animal though, gamesager finally has a challenge.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't like it at all, what I see a lot of players doing is simply waiting until the boss is weakened enough, then they shoot it with a sniper or rocket and they get the kill, despite putting almost no effort into it to begin with.

arguable. I think it may be strictly a promethean thing judging from all the recent warzone games I saw, covenant (and humans kinda) seem to function ok, whereas the prometheans (I'm looking at you eternal promethean whatever) are typically pretty stupid.

captain Hasbro or whatever (the boss in the promethean aircraft) was a complete animal though, gamesager finally has a challenge.

I think the idea here is that it should be a team effort. If you've got your team there trying to kill it, then most times you should get the kill. It's just like killing baron or dragon in LoL. People can always get lucky steals, but if you have multiple team members there trying to kill it then you have a very good chance of doing so. 

The fact that you'd drag this up after so long says a lot more about your agenda than any perceived agenda from or by the team. I speak at least a couple of times a week in public, and if you have to go back a few years to find something to align with your agenda probably means you're not trying hard enough.

And for example - one of the things our team "hated" or correctly, wanted to change or improve upon, was frames per second.

But by all means keep flogging a dead horse that didn't mean what you thought it did at the time, and still doesn't.

Have a nice day. Try making lemonade for once.

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 6