CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

One of the lesser talked about aspects of the beta that I think needs to go is in the in-game "spartan talk". There are many ways to make this game at least aesthetically resemble Halo, and right now 343i is objectively ripping out Halo's guts in that regard:

• Spartan "chatter", including things such as "We have the power weapons!"

• Announcement chatter ANNOUNCING the power weapons are spawning 

• The general look of armor feels like it's stuck in Halo uncanny valley. It doesn't feel like Halo, yet looks just close enough that we can tell something is very wrong

• "Prophet's Bane", since Energy sword wasn't cool enough

THE ADS SCOPING, specifically on the pistol

• The odd virtual texture and look of the new map.

• Bigship. Call it Midship all you want, it didn't look like Midship but it's overweight ugly brother.

• The sounds. Every gun sounds like a plinking weapon. There's no power, no personality, no feeling to them. The Prophet's Bane specifically sounds pathetic and horrible. The energy recharge sounds don't bother me as much, but they are annoying.

We don't need these things aesthetically. All they do is take away from the feel of classic Halo--one of the things I would say ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT BE TAMPERED WITH

• Upvote (+1) 4

Bottom-line: too many core Halo game-play changes therefore I've lost interest already.

Counter Strike has remained very similar and is doing amazing now in the eSports scene. I don't get why 343i is trying to "keep up with the times," etc. The uniqueness of Halo diminishes more and more.

I didn't like the presentation at all. A lot of forced hype and what not.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The community clearly said they don't want sprint in Halo Reach, 343 made it possible to play without sprint, but they put it in in Halo 4 again.

Halo 4 sucked ass, and they still will not listen to us.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well everyone's prayer was answered with the MCC (aside from the launch issues)

Judging by the footage I know enough about Halo and from previous games to see this will easily be a separate game from the default settings and that alone is enough to make me not want to get it.

I don't understand the whole "wait til we play" shenanigans. We've been through this twice already. I'm perfectly content with finishing my time with Halo and gaming playing H1 and H2C on xbox live. Halo is the only franchise that seems to outsell itself yet continues to get worse.

All the new gimmicks being added into shooters and video games is a testimony to developers catering to this sorry ass generation that call themselves competitive gamers. We don't need these things for great Halo gameplay and I wish more people would stop giving 343 the excuse to continue to break Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not saying wait and see you close minded cunt. This is what I'm talking about when someone attaches a negative emotion to something they become blind to looking at anything objectively and everything is seen through a jaded perspective. This is essentially what happens with depression. All this is showing me is how little life experience many of y'all have.

You don't have I wait and see because 343 is giving us 3 week beta 1YEAR be release. There will obviously be more than "graphical polishing".

Stop basing your perceptions of a beta of the half assed betas bungie gave us in the past that were only one month before the game was released

Lol shut up and get out kid. We've heard this shit with Reach and 4, and every single time kids like you are flat out wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Lol shut up and get out kid. We've heard this shit with Reach and 4, and every single time kids like you are flat out wrong.

Hahaha I love how the default insult and go to way for discrediting someones opinion is to call them some iteration of "kid." The immaturity in that statement humors me so much. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I still feel the spartan abilities will kill this game. They can nerf them as much as they want but the damage has already been done. Might as well let me turn into a big bubble shield and let other people enter my shield...

343 isn't gonna change shit from the Beta feedback and we all know this in the back of our minds, keep on hoping i guess.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To be honest......this stuff wouldn't be as bad with smaller maps and no sprint.....That's all....it's just the maps are so big man.....

To be honest......this stuff wouldn't be as bad with smaller maps and no sprint.....That's all....it's just the maps are so big man.....

I agree. With smaller maps and no sprint, abilities such as the thrusters or slide would be decent additions and wouldn't kill the core aspects of gameplay

This will likely be my last post at BE. I thought hard about this last night and wrote a farewell article on my web site that I think answers your question.

The background sounds, the lego-forge-looking dev map, the jump into arena feel, the face masks of the spartan, the large maps, the ADS, spiderman movement, ... where can I begin explaining what is different and what feels more like other games than it feels like Halo?

It doesn't matter how it plays, it no longer feels like Halo. it feels like CoD.

Is there any other IP that you can think of where the publishers intentionally morphed a game to feel like its competitors'? I am not saying the same mechanics, but "the feel" of the game?

I do not like their direction for Halo, but I cannot do anything to change it. So rather than continue to get upset, I accept the reality that there isn't any Halo left after MCC. It's time for me to move on.

It's been fun, but I am done with Halo.

Aloha

You didn't quite answer my question the way I wanted you to. You basically just told me what you didn't like about Halo 5 instead of giving examples of how you can keep Halo traditional while catering to the new gaming market. I'm sorry Halo isn't going in the direction you want it to go, but at least you have MCC to fall back on for classic Halo...well at least 75% of it. Farewell man.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Here's a great quote from Theodore Roosevelt that many of y'all should read and consider not only for the sake of this discussion but it might improve your life too..

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Gee, that's darling. 

Tell you what, if 343 gives us the Halo source code, then we'll live up to Teddy's expectations. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, if they're keeping sprint in, they need something else to balance it so people can't just run away like Ryanoob did...

What I Want Changed

1) Classic zoom, none of this smart-scope stuff. It ruins the whole Halo aesthetic. 

2) Removal of sprint/additional balancing characteristic.

3) Option to toggle announcer's functions. If some people want it great, but all that noise shouldn't be forced on you.

4) If you have AR & Pistol starts, you need a good pistol. It already has 12 rounds in magazine, so it should be a 3-shot. And make sure it has same range/accuracy as BR. Give BR extra aim assist, or some sort of melee buff, so it's not indistinguishable from pistol. 

5) Redesign DMR. It's boxy as fuck right now. Range should be greater than BR & Pistol, but least aim assist of the three. 

6) Option to have player toggle how their spartan abilities worked. Unyshek mentioned that the hover feature can be toggled off by the player. We need this for all spartan abilities.

7) Powerups need to be added.

8) 4 minute timers are too long.

9) Glare from Prophet's Bane is terrible. 

10) Thrust has to be nerfed in some fashion, according to most pros who have played the game. Ground pound looks powerful, but Ryanoob say it's barely useable in pro play.

343 isn't gonna change shit from the Beta feedback and we all know this in the back of our minds, keep on hoping i guess.

Exactly.

They are modeling the spartan abilities as the selling point for the game. There's 0% chance they're coming out. However, we could see them nerfed quite a bit.

The Spartan abilities would be broken as hell if the maps were smaller so no it wouldn't work. If you take out Spartan abilities, we are just creating Halo 2 v3 with better graphics. You think that can sell more copies than Halo 4? 343 wants to sell copies while catering to us, to an extent. People are not thinking about these things logically.

Exactly.

They are modeling the spartan abilities as the selling point for the game. There's 0% chance they're coming out. However, we could see them nerfed quite a bit.

They openly talked about nerfing ground pound and thruster in an interview. I expect that large adjustments to the abilities post-Beta were always their intention. Removal of an ability entirely is extremely doubtful. The most one could hope for is a custom game option to toggle them on and off, which is already the case for at least "scope hovering" or whatever it's called.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It doesn't even fucking matter if sprint is useful or not. The maps are still extremely huge and the base player speed is too slow

I don't give a fuck what the pros say. Which of them said that Bloom increases the skill gap in Reach? They are either paid by 343 or have no clue.

It's actually neither of those things. It is that pros are invested in Halo succeeding regardless of how shitty halo is in the future. About half the pros have virtually no education or real world skills, they're hanging onto halo for as many years as they can because it's all they have going. They do not have a promising career ahead of them and are highly invested in keeping halo going as long as they can, so cognitive dissonance takes over and they justify any of the new shit in the game. They also said reach and halo 4 were amazing, anyone who trusts their opinion or gives this game a chance is just kidding themselves. I would like it to be good too but unless the beta is magically tons of fun, I won't be buying Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

R/halo is giving me cancer. Expect to be down-voted if you're even remotely critical about H5. Also, these pro "ambassadors" for the competitive halo scene are just giving lip service to 343. How could a halo pro say that H5 is heading in the right direction?

• Upvote (+1) 5

This video wasn't helpful man. You didn't even go into details about why sprint is bad and why it ruins maps, why the abilities take away from the skill gap, you need to go into detail on what the problems are. When you say "IT'S NOT HALO IT'S COD" it's not going to help anybody and you're looking like the stereotypical competitive player that will be written off. Just being honest.

If you guys want to put a downer on your day, watch that halo 5 match, then go watch a random h2a invitational match on say warlock then rewatch the halo 5 footage again. Honestly I think it will turn out similar to Destiny, it's boring to watch but fun to play. Hard to tell based on that match but I sure don't see myself wanting to tune in to watch esport events for that game however I could have some fun playing it. 

The in-game location call-outs are actually good now though, like blue street/blue two/blue window etc

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's actually neither of those things. It is that pros are invested in Halo succeeding regardless of how shitty halo is in the future. About half the pros have virtually no education or real world skills, they're hanging onto halo for as many years as they can because it's all they have going. They do not have a promising career ahead of them and are highly invested in keeping halo going as long as they can, so cognitive dissonance takes over and they justify any of the new shit in the game. They also said reach and halo 4 were amazing, anyone who trusts their opinion or gives this game a chance is just kidding themselves. I would like it to be good too but unless the beta is magically tons of fun, I won't be buying Halo 5.

This could be true of most pros, but I'm pretty sure Gandhi has an actual well-paying job that doesn't rely on Halo even slightly. Fuck, he'd probably do better if Halo failed. But it's true of most pros, yes.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Welp, on one hand, the Unreal fan in me does like the speed and general mobility of it. But sprint still in, that obnoxious chatter, power weapons being announced (have the same problem with Destiny), it seems to have a lot of hand-holding.

On a positive note, there's going to be a beta this time around, so we've got that going for us. I'll be filling the feedback forms with everything I can think of come December. What I've seen doesn't equal what I'll play, but I'm really hoping 343i takes much more of our input to heart.

However, no descope is always good news.

• Bigship. Call it Midship all you want, it didn't look like Midship but it's overweight ugly brother.

Aw, be nice. Bigship's got a glandular problem.