CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

A utility weapon is something that is effective at all ranges. The Pistol is that. The BR is dogshit at anything beyond medium range consistency wise.

What is your definition of "effective" here? Because based on the balancing of other weapons in this game the pistol doesn't appear to be very effective at any range. It's dominated by tier 2 close range weapons at close range. It's dominated by tier 2 mid range weapons at mid range. It's dominated by tier 2 long range weapons at long range.

In my opinion if a weapon is on tier 1 of a 3 tier system, it's not a utility weapon.

BR's around a 1.4. :P It's also horribly inconsistent and can't do anything past medium range now.

What is this based on?

What is your definition of "effective" here? Because based on the balancing of other weapons in this game the pistol doesn't appear to be very effective at any range. It's dominated by tier 2 close range weapons at close range. It's dominated by tier 2 mid range weapons at mid range. It's dominated by tier 2 long range weapons at long range.

In my opinion if a weapon is on tier 1 of a 3 tier system, it's not a utility weapon.

No offence, but you are clueless in what a utility weapon is. It is the jack of all trades, good at all, best in none. You're going to be very surprised on launch day.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

343 definitely hyped up H4 much better than they have for this. I'm surprised how little they've shown us so far.

I hope that's because they're making sure everything is perfect for launch and not because they're hiding things because they're broken.

Halo 4, in terms of any actual content, was far worse than anything we've seen in Halo 5, a lot of people pretended halo 4 was going to be the shit come launch day when in reality it was guaranteed to be a flop for a wide variety of reasons.

Again, we knew everything about halo 4 before it launched, which to me just made buying the game even more boring than it would've been otherwise, 343i is well within their rights to show absolutely nothing if they wanted to, if you are seriously worried there will be critters inside the box just wait a while after launch then purchase it (or don't)

No offence, but you are clueless in what a utility weapon is. It is the jack of all trades, good at all, best in none. You're going to be very surprised on launch day.

If a weapon is significantly outclassed at all range then it's not a jack of all trades lol. A jack of all trades weapon can compete against anything. Example- the pistol has no chance at close range vs an SMG. The HCE pistol could compete at close range vs the PR, AR and even shotgun. That's a utility weapon.

Hopefully Iam surprised on launch day. The only way I will be is if things have changed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

On the topic of the Magnum and BR, before anything goes haywire...

The Magnum in Halo 5 is indeed the utility weapon of the game. It has the fastest draw animation, the fastest reload animation, the fastest KT for the precision weapons (Besides the Light Rifle which is now a mid-tier power weapon), and has the potential to be lethal at nearly every range if the player is skillful enough. The only drawbacks to this weapon is that it has a shallow magazine, which will punish you if you're not good with it.

The Battle Rifle in Halo 5 is now considered an easier alternative. Its magazine has the potential to kill three players, and its a burst fire weapon. However, its KT, along with reload and draw animation, are slower than the Magnum. Its range is slightly ahead of the Magnum, but its burst fire can become a problem at longer ranges where the Magnum outshines it. An expert Magnum will always beat a novice BR, and even a good BR. The only advantage it has is that the average KT will be faster than the Magnum, but not the optimal KT.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If a weapon is outclassed at all range then it's not a jack of all trades lol.

Hopefully Iam surprised on launch day. The only way I will be is if things have changed.

the rockets were better than the pistol at close range in ce, and the sniper was better at long range, that doesn't mean it wasn't a utility weapon, all it has to do is be able to compete, the players resourcefulness is supposed to close that gap.

The h5 pistol isn't at this point yet, it might be the utility weapon for this game, but that's not good enough.

The Magnum in Halo 5 is indeed the utility weapon of the game. It has the fastest draw animation, the fastest reload animation, the fastest KT for the precision weapons (Besides the Light Rifle which is now a mid-tier power weapon), and has the potential to be lethal at nearly every range if the player is skillful enough. The only drawbacks to this weapon is that it has a shallow magazine, which will punish you if you're not good with it.

The Battle Rifle in Halo 5 is now considered an easier alternative. Its magazine has the potential to kill three players, and its a burst fire weapon. However, its KT, along with reload and draw animation, are slower than the Magnum. Its range is slightly ahead of the Magnum, but its burst fire can become a problem at longer ranges where the Magnum outshines it. An expert Magnum will always beat a novice BR, and even a good BR. The only advantage it has is that the average KT will be faster than the Magnum, but not the optimal KT.

So the LR won't be a spawn weapon? I sure hope not anyway, it makes more sense being a pickup because of its niche role.

So the LR won't be a spawn weapon? I sure hope not anyway, it makes more sense being a pickup because of its niche role.

Where have you been? No loadouts in H5, except for Warzone, where you're restricted to human weapons (for multiple-use). 

If a weapon is significantly outclassed at all range then it's not a jack of all trades lol. A jack of all trades weapon can compete against anything. Example- the pistol has no chance at close range vs an SMG. The HCE pistol could compete at close range vs the PR, AR and even shotgun. That's a utility weapon.

I don't know where you are pulling that the SMG will beat Pistol 100% from...

to be fair, the previous build had a stupidly powerful smg, why else was every game during the invitational an smg rush?

Where have you been? No loadouts in H5, except for Warzone, where you're restricted to human weapons (for multiple-use). 

oh yeah, I sorry :wacko:

so its going to be AR/pistol in almost every playlist right?

you left out the player assistance mechanics which will end up making the BR have a much lower average TTK than the pistol.

Can you link me to any video footage of a pistol beating an SMG at close range? The SMG has a .8 TTK compared to the pistols 1.2. And the pistol is significantly harder to aim.

Something that is that much of an underdog is not a utility weapon.

Can you link me to any video footage of a pistol beating an SMG at close range? The SMG has a .8 TTK compared to the pistols 1.2. And the pistol is significantly harder to aim.

Something that is that much of an underdog is not a utility weapon.

I would link, but that would get me in trouble.

Do we have any footage of it after the fix? Because even in the beta the thing was overpowering.

?

The SMG is NOT better than the pistol lol

It's significantly nerfed now. Pistol >>> 

you left out the player assistance mechanics which will end up making the BR have a much lower average TTK than the pistol.

Two Magnums against one BR would still be faster than two BRs against one Magnum. Now, if we were to have two of each against eachother, who knows what could happen?

People at each other's throats just because 343 is too stubborn to ditch all the mid range rifles and give us a useful utilty weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The SMG is NOT better than the pistol lol

It's significantly nerfed now. Pistol >>> 

SMG has bloom what you guys talking about lol. Players too close to you? Thruster back

I'm not sure if I missed some recent gameplay or something but are you guys basing this on Quinn's tweet alone?