CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

You kidding me? Bungie shipped a buttload of maps in Reach on launch, only made in Forge. Blood Gulch, Ascension, The Cage, Sanctuary, Paradiso, etc. 

Yeah, but that's not what we're talking about. Bungie never included those Forge variants when they told the community what the map count will be. It was always "map count+Forge variants". If 343 is including Forge variants in the map count without listing them separately, then well, that wouldn't be surprising for them is all.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Epic's answer to overtime in UT4 CTF is to have the respawn timers get longer and longer after overtime starts. That's a brilliant idea.

That is just... genius. Wow. Why is this news to me?

Yeah, but that's not what we're talking about. Bungie never included those Forge variants when they told the community what the map count will be. It was always "map count+Forge variants". If 343 is including Forge variants in the map count without listing them separately, then well, that wouldn't be surprising for them is all.

True. They always included "Forge World" but not every variant the map had. It was 9 maps including Forge World plus all the Firefight maps. 

Now if 343 comes to us and say: "We're launching 20 maps (including Arena/Warzone) plus 4-6 variants of Forge." That'd be better. I don't think they should tell us a number and let us assume which ones are which. 

"Lads and Gents, we're launching 20 maps, 14 for Arena and 6 for Warzone PLUS 4 Forge maps for Breakout and some other new gamemodes."

In my opinion, that'd be gold because it goes straight to the point, it doesn't leave me hanging. If they're in final stages, I'd be extremely satisfied if an employee says how many maps are we getting officially.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If the Forge maps don't count, we've got another six maps to see.

Willing to bet they'll be remixes.

Guardians remake is just too obvious at this point.

you worry too much about redundant things, it matters not how they list them, all that matters is the maps themselves.

Ah, I see.

That is just... genius. Wow. Why is this news to me?

As far as I know, it's new to UT. They used those settings in the UT4 CTF Exhibition Tournament earlier today.

you worry too much about redundant things, it matters not how they list them, all that matters is the maps themselves.

Just because I'm stating it doesn't mean I'm "worried" about it. It's the principle that 343 knows that we'll assume all of these are unique maps since that's been the case for every other Halo game with Forge. Being more direct would be nice, as @ suggested.

True. They always included "Forge World" but not every variant the map had. It was 9 maps including Forge World plus all the Firefight maps.

Now if 343 comes to us and say: "We're launching 20 maps (including Arena/Warzone) plus 4-6 variants of Forge." That'd be better. I don't think they should tell us a number and let us assume which ones are which.

"Lads and Gents, we're launching 20 maps, 14 for Arena and 6 for Warzone PLUS 4 Forge maps for Breakout and some other new gamemodes."

In my opinion, that'd be gold because it goes straight to the point, it doesn't leave me hanging. If they're in final stages, I'd be extremely satisfied if an employee says how many maps are we getting officially.

Guardian remake? Obvious? I doubt they will remake Guardian lol 

I think he's poking fun at the games subtitle.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just because I'm stating it doesn't mean I'm "worried" about it. It's the principle that 343 knows that we'll assume all of these are unique maps since that's been the case for every other Halo game with Forge. Being more direct would be nice, as @ suggested.

Did they do that with Halo 4? I honestly can't even remember its been so long but that is how you will find your answer.

I mean it is in the name after all, as cheesy as that would be, wouldn't be surprised.

CE?(Although you could say that it was due to limitations at the time)

yeah because of how they used textures they were definitely similar feeling, and that all the geometry was quite square and simplistic, however in terms of personality not created by lighting effects, the geometry and layout between say damnation, chill out, derelict, hang'em, ratrace and prisoner are more diverse than those 5. i do a fair bit of 3d modelling and it's always best to start with simple forms and build up, taking that philosophy into account i feel the geometry and layout in CE leads to more diversity than those 5 maps in halo 5

• Upvote (+1) 3

Did they do that with Halo 4? I honestly can't even remember its been so long but that is how you will find your answer.

They didn't do that for H4. Though they included Forge variants as part of the H5 beta map count and 343 failed to mention this until the map was available to play on. I'm not saying Forge variants is a bad thing, but putting them alongside unique maps with the map count is stretching the truth a bit. There's nothing wrong with saying the map count+Forge variants.

• Upvote (+1) 5

They didn't do that for H4. Though they included Forge variants as part of the H5 beta map count and 343 failed to mention this until the map was available to play on. I'm not saying Forge variants is a bad thing, but putting them alongside unique maps with the map count is stretching the truth a bit. There's nothing wrong with saying the map count+Forge variants.

The hell you say? stupid mistake. In the very least they will be releasing free DLC maps which will more than make up for the confusion. I mean the only difference would've been instead of saying it outright and you figuring it out sooner you'll just know for sure either at launch or close to launch. I typically don't care too much when developers don't say everything outright before launch, I mean lying or neglecting to tell vital information (like hey the SP is DLC!) is one thing but simply not telling you things like the amount of maps, weapons, etc. Is at worst stuff you'll know in due time and at best something that will keep you interested right up until launch. I recall with halo 4 you pretty much knew every single thing about the game before its launch (except for its SP story unless you got the spoiler) and I must say I prefer a certain level of uncertainty.

The hell you say? stupid mistake. In the very least they will be releasing free DLC maps which will more than make up for the confusion. I mean the only difference would've been instead of saying it outright and you figuring it out sooner you'll just know for sure either at launch or close to launch. I typically don't care too much when developers don't say everything outright before launch, I mean lying or neglecting to tell vital information (like hey the SP is DLC!) is one thing but simply not telling you things like the amount of maps, weapons, etc. Is at worst stuff you'll know in due time and at best something that will keep you interested right up until launch. I recall with halo 4 you pretty much knew every single thing about the game before its launch (except for its SP story unless you got the spoiler) and I must say I prefer a certain level of uncertainty.

Theres no point in keeping map counts or weapon layouts a secret before launch.

Theres no point in keeping map counts or weapon layouts a secret before launch.

But how will we hunt the truth?  :kappa:

Joking aside, I agree

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just examined the picture of Coliseum and I concur: it is markedly anime in tone. This was the Forrunner asthetic 343 used in Halo 4. I have spoken.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

it is markedly anime in tone.

What? How the hell does it look "anime"? Why are we discussing this? There is nothing wrong with how the map looks, at all.

I keep seeing this anime debate come up, but no one actually says how it looks anime or shows a simple comparison because, at the current moment, I'm confused and don't get it at all.

What? How the he'll does it look "anime"? Why are we discussing this? There is nothing wrong with how the map looks, at all.

I don't think any of these anime comparisons made sense. I get an extreme-fantasy vibe with the Forerunner visual, but that's likely the point, the main idea. Halo as a whole was always bizarre.

Since when was bizarre themes exclusive to any genre?

Whether it's anime or not. Coliseum looks like shit (Loooks before anyone gets their knickers in a twist). It's just not-orange solace.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 8

Arena Maps so far:

01. Truth

02. Regret

03. Empire

04. Eden

05. Fathom

06. Coliseum

07. Plaza

08. The Rig

Pictures of each in Spoiler:

Halo-5-Guardians-Truth-1.jpg

h5-mp-beta-establishing-regret-lockbox-1

Halo-5-Guardians-Multiplayer-Beta-Empire

H5-MP-Beta-Establishing-Eden-Captains-of

h5-guardians-fathom-establishing-sub.jpg

h5-guardians-arena-establishing-coliseum

h5-guardians-arena-establishing-plaza-to

h5-guardians-arena-establishing-the-rig-

NEEDS MORE GRASS :wutface:

If I knew nothing about Halo and you told me that empire, Eden, fathom, plaza, and rig were the same map with a different color filter on it I'd probably believe you.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I keep seeing this anime debate come up, but no one actually says how it looks anime or shows a simple comparison because, at the current moment, I'm confused and don't get it at all.

the style in which they texture the characters (the clean look) and the use of shapes and action feels slightly more akin to something from halo legends than previous games

343 definitely hyped up H4 much better than they have for this. I'm surprised how little they've shown us so far.

I hope that's because they're making sure everything is perfect for launch and not because they're hiding things because they're broken.

• Upvote (+1) 1

343 definitely hyped up H4 much better than they have for this. I'm surprised how little they've shown us so far.

I hope that's because they're making sure everything is perfect for launch and not because they're hiding things because they're broken.

halo 4s hype consisted of showing things halo fans hated and saying trust us. So far, I like 343s strategy this time around better.
  • Upvote (+1) 3