CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Pre-ordering is kind of pointless these days unless there's a sale involved in or a discount of some sort...otherwise, with digital buying, they're never going to sell out, which was the original point of pre-ordering in the first place.

I'm going to try very hard to refrain from purchasing this game the first week. For once I want to observe what happens the first week of this game's launch and see if it's truly worth forking out another $64 into a Halo game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Good enough. Want to see what else this game has to offer.

I've said before how badly 343 has been hyping this game, so they better start showing some stuff like every week from now until launch.

I'm not pre-ordering my personal copy. But I did arrange to have that Tuesday-Friday off, and will support my local Gamestop after I get off work the night of October 26th.

Forge better be worth it.

If you're hoping on forge to be good maybe you should wait a little after release. For all we know forge could be put in months after or "fixed" after a while along with a file browser. Don't forget that 343 will probably take a whole month off after release as well.  :walshy: 

• Upvote (+1) 4

If you're hoping on forge to be good maybe you should wait a little after release. For all we know forge could be put in months after or "fixed" after a while along with a file browser. Don't forget that 343 will probably take a whole month off after release as well.  :walshy:

I remember they did this with 4, pretty sure they didn't get a break after mcc, and Phil spencer went down there.

Epic's answer to overtime in UT4 CTF is to have the respawn timers get longer and longer after overtime starts. That's a brilliant idea.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I remember they did this with 4, pretty sure they didn't get a break after mcc, and Phil spencer went down there.

LOL yeah I'm also "pretty sure" they knew that MCC was fucked from release and weren't going anywhere.

• Upvote (+1) 1

LOL yeah I'm also "pretty sure" they knew that MCC was fucked from release and weren't going anywhere.

Yeah I wondered about this. It must be so awkward.

Awkward to get on stage and preach good things about this game and know you are about release an utterly broken pile of crap. People like Bonnie Ross and those higher ups who praise but also know what state it's in. Has to be awkward. Then they become silent after the game is released. 

im sure the nature of the release started to become apparent to them months before hand.

The simple Coliseum design reminds me the style of forge maps on Foundry. 

Anyways, do you think this will be possible? To throw the flag across the map to a temmate?

coliseum.jpg

(I know I know I'm an artist)

Maybe if the teammate on the opposite side of the carrier jumps off, grabs the flag, and thrusts back to clamber up onto the platform. *crowd goes wild*

When a flag runner gets shot in competitive play they drop the flag most of the time anyway, giving away their location. And if not, they get called out by whoever shot them. To people saying it takes away from communication, JohNNySniPeZ69420 will still be screaming in your ears where the flag carrier is over and over even though there's a waypoint just clogging up the comms anyway.

Ive been thinking the exact same thing. In REAL high level competitive customs, or MM, having an indicator when the flag guy gets shot, isn't going to really change anything.

It is going to make searching MLG MM solo, more enjoyable though i think. That and the spartan call outs... they can be annoying, but in the beta, searching alone or as to2, they did come in handy, and made playing with mic-less fucks more enjoyable. I think this flag thing will have a similar effect. So i'm not going to complain about it just yet.

You're trying to tell me that H3 doesn't look cartoon like?

Its the best word I could think of describing it. Probably the wrong word.

Basically whatever H1, H2, H3 looked like, thats what I like. Not this new glossy H2A, H4 etc

• Upvote (+1) 5

Well I'll be damned

Wall running/jumping. Something I said would be 100% better in Halo as well over abilities. This looks sick. I need a PC

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wall running/jumping. Something I said would be 100% better in Halo as well over abilities. This looks sick. I need a PC

wall running would suck, wall jumping would be great instead of clamber.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The main thing I'm interested in at this point are weapon and power-up placements. I know many here want more of them and faster timers, but I think 343 wants there to be a substantial amount of play with Tier 1/2 weapons, and for power weapon control to be easy to follow for spectators. 

Truth - Now that Prophet's Bane/Sword is on a dynamic timer, the winning team could end up camping more, and it'd have a roll-over affect where comebacks are way too hard. I think Active Camo bottom-mid could help facilitate sneaky pushes, both for TS & CTF. Oddball could also be interesting. 

Regret - Really hope they put the Legendary SPNKR bottom-mid here, and leave the LRs top-mid (unlike Midship/Bigship, top-mid is pretty powerful on Regret). Maybe an overshield at the weaker tower (forget its name). Not sure what gametypes Regret would excel at besides Strongholds. Maybe KOTH or Oddball?

Fathom - Think this could be a cool 2 snipers map. At the very least, decrease the timer for Sniper. From footage we've seen, both Sniper & Plasma Caster were barely used. We'll see if that'll change when people figure out the Plasma Caster. Also think the Hydra would be pretty interesting on this map. Should be a good map for TS & CTF. 

Empire - Again, we'll have to see how Plasma Caster use evolves, but inside was way too powerful with Shotgun. And the OS needs to be buffed if they're going to leave it in that vulnerable a place. Has way too much CQC for TS... could work for Strongholds, KOTH, & Oddball. 

Eden - Know that they've moved the Sniper to the opposite side of the map. Could be a good map for the Legendary CE Pistol, as a counter to the Sniper. Also, speed boost bottom middle? 

Coliseum - Already has IC & Sniper, along with Scattershot bottom-mid and an OS. Looks pretty fun/balanced to me. Probably my favorite map shown. 

Plaza - Not sure if this is an asymm or not. All I know is there's a Sniper on it. 

The Rig - Asymm, with Sniper, Plasma Caster, Camo, & at least one Shotgun. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm surprised no one's calling UT a Titanfall clone cause of the wall running that was shown in the video. Not necessarily talking about you guys, but just in general.

I'm surprised no one's calling UT a Titanfall clone cause of the wall running that was shown in the video. Not necessarily talking about you guys, but just in general.

Even UT fell prey to CoD/Titanfall ;)

I think you both are kind of missing the root of why people will attach that moniker to certain games. No one would have a problem with familiar mechanics, if those mechanics legitimately worked with what was established, and or took the game further down the logical path started by the first game. A perfect example is halo ce, it 98% comprised of mechanics that where certainly around at that time in popular games, but the fact about ce, is that everything in it worked almost perfectly, and it yielded gameplay unheard of at the time. Now take halo 4, it also takes known mechanics of the time from popular games, but it ended up being an absolute clusterfuck.

Stealing mechanics is only a negative thing when you steal mechanics that don't work, if halo 5 didn't have sprint or clamber, but had wall kicking, and a very flexible thruster pack, with things like charge, and ground pound as power ups that can be found on the map, I guarantee nobody would be complaining that halo is just stealing from popular games to be relevant or cater to the lowest common denominator.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think you both are kind of missing the root of why people will attach that moniker to certain games. No one would have a problem with familiar mechanics if those mechanics legitimately worked with what was established[i/] a perfect example is halo ce, it 98% comprised of mechanics that where certainly around at that time in popular games, but the fact about ce, is that everything in it worked almost perfectly, and it yielded gameplay unheard of at the time. Now take halo 4, it also takes known mechanics of the time from popular games, but it ended up being an absolute clusterfuck.

Stealing mechanics is only a negative thing when you steal mechanics that don't work, if halo 5 didn't have sprint or clamber, but had wall kicking, and a very flexible thruster pack, with things like charge, and ground pound as power ups that can be found on the map, I guarantee nobody would be complaining that halo is just stealing from popular games to be relevant or cater to the lowest common denominator.

I dont want wall kicking in Halo, ever, IMO. I would love an H1/H3 style game with JUST thruster. That's my ideal Halo. 

We'll see if Wallrunning breaks UT. I know theres going to be a few classic maps that would be destroyed b/c of it.

Also my post was semi-bait. Don't read too far into it :P

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1