CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Also, you can hear footsteps in the water around 2:40 of Toweys video. nice touch.

Also, no kill or assist medal is really throwing me off.

They need to add 'em again.

Yeah, the lack of kill and assist medals is annoying.

We do NOT need a kill medal. There is zero reason for it. When you're actually playing the game yourself and see your GT pop up instead of a "2Guardiansdemo" whatever that all look the same it will be fine.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Somewhat trivial thing, but why does the death screen say "Respawn Available in [seconds]," as if you had to opt-in to respawn, or had the choice to not respawn? It should just say "Respawn in [seconds]," like every other Halo.

You can choose where and to some degree when to spawn in Warzone if I'm not mistaken.

• Upvote (+1) 1

After watching the most recent Arena footage from PAX, I stand by everything I said here: http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/page-1686?do=findComment&comment=534279. In particular, precision weapons should be more powerful, especially the Magnum which, in its current state, appears to lack the requisite effectiveness for a starting weapon; lest the game devolve into matches in which automatic weapons dominate due to their ease of use and effectiveness. 

@@Sal1ent will we be getting more information about the changes that have been made, namely regarding sandbox balancing following Gamescom, soon? Is it time for another blog post in the series of Waypoint development deep dives?

• Upvote (+1) 3

I know you guys are very very busy right now and its amazing that you are here talking to us. :)

But I have one really really important question:

Are you guys aware of the flawed reputation system on XBL? It currently hinders me and many others to play Halo MCC and it will break my heart if Halo 5 Guardians comes out and I will not be allowed to play/play with my friends because of false reports.

I know you guys at 343i have nothing to do with the rep system, but what you could do is allow people with red reputation to normally search in matchmaking till the problem is fixed.

Good Halo players and Gears of War players get blocked and reported by salty people just because they are better at the game.

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/10235-xbox-live-blocking-now-preventing-halo-mcc-matchmaking/

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums/98be6d5e03f642a5b8b561883802d401/threads/matchmaking-ban-b-c-of-false-negative-reputation-update-4-tweet-from-rod-fergusson/1d74ed3f-6e54-45d2-9fd3-35042b5f6caf/posts

You do realize there is already a solution in place don't you?

Just stop being so good.

@Sal1ent this is a subject I haven't seen you bring up since the days following the beta, but could you please shine some light on to what the delta variable is for sprint? Meaning the percentage change in speed for sprint over the base movement speed. It doesn't look very significant, so I am hoping to hear it's in the ballpark of 10 to 15 percent.

Thanks.

The magnum just doesn't look that great. I'd definitely prefer a rof buff over making it a 4sk though, the rate of fire makes handling it seem a little awkward.

The SMG look so OP. It needs its bloom back or some other kind of nerf.. ..I'm sorry but that looks like the shotgun pre-nerf

Speaking of the shotgun, in the most recent gameplay its flashlight is off, is that just an older build? FLASHLIGHTS CONFIRMED?!

Any updates on sniper glare removal? It seems the magnetism was turned down to a great level, but now the sniper seems to have an abnormal amount of recoil. That and the glare makes the sniper seem useless.

I'm completely against an assist medal. It takes away the value of medals in the game. I'd much rather prefer the kill feed maybe BOLD any kills/deaths that involve you, including assists.

Also, and I apologize for the 1000s of questions, but how come the opening of any Arena multiplayer map always has these weird frames between showing the spartans off and cutting to the first person view? Will that be fixed by the time retail comes around? I KNOW, it's a small, silly thing to complain about, but it just irks me every time I see it because l really love everything else about it. The music's perfect, the "camera angles" are great, and the spartan presentation just looks right.

Watching the smg just annoys me because of how stupidly powerful it is.

Pistol needs a buff

Some of the power weapons need to be more powerful

Pretty much all weapon and power up placement needs to be rethought, it's slow and doesn't encourage movement to the right places. I find it odd that 343 has a pro team and we're having these kinds of issues.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Didn't see this posted yet

Hmm, only like 4 clean Pistol kills :/ 4sk please. I so miss those crispy BR duels :/

Right now, pistol is not good enough to get good long range kills, ppls just get away before you finish them. In all other situations, AR seems to be much better choice. I am not happy.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'd like to know if we can get any more info about the pro team's end of session reports that @@Deez mentioned a while back.

Also, footage of the pro team demonstrating some of the nuance of things like the Plasma Caster and maps that have already been revealed would be really cool - something I haven't seen anyone do on Fathom yet would be to shoot the rectangular lights on the sides of the line of sight blocking platforms in each atrium.
Those things remind me of the lights that could be shot in the outside area of Eden in the beta which would trigger different geometry pieces to slide in and out of the ground for a few seconds. If those lanes can be opened I'm quite surprised that nobody playing at Gamescom, PAX etc has figured it out yet. If they aren't interactive map elements then I'm probably just looking at it a bit too hard.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'd like to know if we can get any more info about the pro team's end of session reports that @@Deez mentioned a while back.

Also, footage of the pro team demonstrating some of the nuance of things like the Plasma Caster and maps that have already been revealed would be really cool - something I haven't seen anyone do on Fathom yet would be to shoot the rectangular lights on the sides of the line of sight blocking platforms in each atrium.

Those things remind me of the lights that could be shot in the outside area of Eden in the beta which would trigger different geometry pieces to slide in and out of the ground for a few seconds. If those lanes can be opened I'm quite surprised that nobody playing at Gamescom, PAX etc has figured it out yet. If they aren't interactive map elements then I'm probably just looking at it a bit too hard.

I want 343 to put out gameplay with the pro team, instead of just seeing gaming press screw around. It's always more fun to watch people who know how to play the game, and we haven't seen that yet.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I posted on reddit that the pistol smart scope is stupid because it blocks what you're aiming at, to which someone replied that it was probably for "balancing" purposes because the pistol is "really powerful now"...

Nothing says balance like not being able to see wtf you're shooting at.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Sorry, but you're wrong here. In fact 343 Pro Team feels the caster is arguably the most powerful weapon in the game. You just need to know how to use it and the skill gap between someone who knows how to use it and someone just picking it up is huge.

I predict that it will be ignored initially until a subset of players master it and start dominating. Once players realize how powerful and versatile it is in the right hands, they'll put in the time to become adept at using it.

This, among so many other reasons, is why it could have been so beneficial to show footage of the Pro Team playing Halo 5. I'll trust you that the Plasma Caster has much more utility than we've seen in these videos and at Gamescom. I'm just curious why 343 chose not to showcase the game being played at a really high level, the way it's intended, by the guys who have played it the most? Surely the idea came up?

I posted on reddit that the pistol smart scope is stupid because it blocks what you're aiming at, to which someone replied that it was probably for "balancing" purposes because the pistol is "really powerful now"...

Nothing says balance like not being able to see wtf you're shooting at.

I got into a similar argument, I just said there's a better way to balance a weapon, that doesn't involve making it clunky.

You can choose where and to some degree when to spawn in Warzone if I'm not mistaken.

Right, but not in Arena. I was referring to the Arena footage.

Just some mildly good advice for you guys..

Red and Blue teams have separate intro music for arena multiplayer, so you can identify which team you're on before you see the spartans.

Just some mildly good advice for you guys..

Red and Blue teams have separate intro music for arena multiplayer, so you can identify which team you're on before you see the spartans.

After looking at a few vids, I'm tempted to say it's the map that influences it rather than the team color. So far Orion, Trench and Pegasus (all forge maps) have the same intro despite being on different teams. Fathom has an unique one, so does Empire. I haven't looked at all of them through multiple teams, but I was able to find a Fathom video on both sides and it had the same music.

Shout out to Unyshek for uploading a ton of Halo 5 videos, made it a lot easier to pinpoint.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Bravo, Tashi, Vartan, SSide, Dersky, Ghost, Neighbor, and someone else probably.

Or Neighbor/Dersk/Ghost/Side vs. EG  :flames:  :flames:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sorry, but you're wrong here. In fact 343 Pro Team feels the caster is arguably the most powerful weapon in the game. You just need to know how to use it and the skill gap between someone who knows how to use it and someone just picking it up is huge.

Where's the power coming from exactly? The rounds have a dull bounce to them, and splash damage seems minimal. So it's behind the tube in that regard, although it does have a larger clip to make up for it I suppose. Is the splash damage from the charge-up shot equal to or greater than the rockets? If not, is there some kind of third function or button-combo feature that has yet to be seen in footage (can you control the explosion like you could with the sticky det)? If still no, then... I have to ask again, where's the power coming from here? Because all I'm seeing is a slightly upgraded brute shot. The word of the pro team that works for you isn't nearly enough to sell me.

Lest we all forget, the main purpose of a power weapon is to direct map traffic. How is the caster supposed to do that job well if its true functionality is a total mystery to most players? By making the skill gap qualifier you basically admitted that it doesn't make the wielder's life that much easier, which is a big reason why people bother with power weapons in the first place (more productivity for less effort). I don't know if you guys have noticed, but Empire and Fathom have problems with map flow. Every game we've seen on those maps since Gamescom looks erratic and directionless. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the plasma caster being forced into a super weapon role might have something to do with that.

Seems to me like you guys are bending over backwards to feature the caster as often as possible because it's a new thing that you guys designed.

• Upvote (+1) 4