CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

If they killed of Chief it would be a sign to me that the Halo I grew up with is dead.

But we all know that happened right around the time Reach came out.  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 3

If they killed of Chief it would be a sign to me that the Halo I grew up with is dead.

But we all know that happened right around the time Reach came out. :kappa:

You mean the time halo 2 came out

• Downvote (-1) 6

Why does he have to die though?

After all the shit he had to face, I think he deserves a nice happy ending

Nope he should die.

Just want to go on record to say that despite praising the Blops beta trailers a few weeks ago, I played it last week and thought it was the dumbest shit ever. Everyone was either running around with SMGs or climbing on walls like fucking Spider Man and chaining into super moves. The maps had a bunch of invisible walls everywhere, so it didn't feel intuitive to move around. The movement felt clunky anyway and everything looked convoluted. And of course, the TTK is so low so it's still a see-first shoot-first game. It's CoD in other words. 

The bow was still cool though. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Just want to go on record to say that despite praising the Blops beta trailers a few weeks ago, I played it last week and thought it was the dumbest shit ever. Everyone was either running around with SMGs or climbing on walls like fucking Spider Man and chaining into super moves. The maps had a bunch of invisible walls everywhere, so it didn't feel intuitive to move around. The movement felt clunky anyway and everything looked convoluted. And of course, the TTK is so low so it's still a see-first shoot-first game. It's CoD in other words. 

I wish I had an opinion but it kept freezing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I wish I had an opinion but it kept freezing.

Yea that too. The first day it looked like I was on acid. 

If they killed off chief a good chunk of the fanbase would be gone instantly they have to know that.

Who could honestly replace chief would be the right question. I don't believe there is a character that could actually replace him without feeling like they are inferior. 

Who could honestly replace chief would be the right question. I don't believe there is a character that could actually replace him without feeling like they are inferior. 

If 343 didn't make Palmer such a hardass, she could have been a good replacement. They've had several opportunities to flesh her out as a good character but she just comes across as a bitch. 

players are too powerful in the new cods, makes it very random.

If 343 didn't make Palmer such a hardass, she could have been a good replacement. They've had several opportunities to flesh her out as a good character but she just comes across as a bitch. 

What we saw in that Halo 5 cinematic looked promising. Completely serious face, tone and attitude.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I dont want Chief ever to be replaced :/

I get that from their story perspective, and where they are taking his character and journey, he'll get too tired and too worn to keep going. 

Just wouldn't feel like Halo without the Chief. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

The reason why people are hyped for it, myself included, is because this stat will shine some light on the "intangibles" that happen throughout a game. You may not have gotten the kill or assist, but you still put those shots into people and affected the game. Think of this scenario: You find yourself alone, getting triple-teamed. You manage to get all three of them no shields before you die but your team is on the respawn, so no assists either. This stat shows that you did that damage and weren't completely useless. Those shots and getting those players and others no-shields throughout the game prevents set-ups, delays pushes, and allows your team to get into position. It's a stat that people can point to and say "hey, I was shooting people and doing damage, I was doing something!" Remember all the times you put 3 shots into a guy who was no-shields but didn't get the kill or assist? At least you'll still show that damage in the post game lobby. Or at least that's how I'm viewing the stat.

I see :intel: Thanks for explaining 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The thing is that Locke is getting A LOT of attention. He's either the future or a side kick. I dont think they'd put so much advertising around him otherwise

Sidekick is an interesting point. Two people from each team die, they merge for H6 where Locke and Chief team together and Chief dies allowing Locke to take over the franchise.

Sidekick is an interesting point. Two people from each team die, they merge for H6 where Buck and Chief team together and Chief dies allowing Buck to take over the franchise.

Fixed that for ya.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Sidekick is an interesting point. Two people from each team die, they merge for H6 where Locke and Chief team together and Chief dies allowing Locke to take over the franchise.

Locke taking over as the face of Halo will be like this boy becoming the new face of KFC.

Bw8rHGVIMAAEqsP.jpg

Not going to happen.

• Upvote (+1) 4

That's not true. Chief is incredibly important and we love him, but the Halo universe is bigger than any individual character.

Confirmation that the evolution of halo is nearing completion.

Locke taking over as the face of Halo will be like this boy becoming the new face of KFC.

Bw8rHGVIMAAEqsP.jpg

Not going to happen.

But it's happening with Gears though....

What we saw in that Halo 5 cinematic looked promising. Completely serious face, tone and attitude.

Honestly that isn't what I want from her. I was hoping she'd be somewhat sarcastic and a bit of a UNSC fangirl (supported by her "new toys" line). To that end, perhaps  she'd be representation of the new generation of Halo, with Chief being someone she would look up to. I wanted 343 to make her the character you played as in Spartan Ops, which would have served as a good introduction. Hell, it would have been nice to see her rise through the ranks and occasionally stumble, rather than be this person who just shouts orders and calls people dairy products. The whole serious military tone does nothing for me, and turning against Halsey was the last straw.

Chief is a badass because he faces everything head on and has a commanding presence with every line he speaks, but he can still fail and he has something he cares about. I relate to that, but I can't relate to the other characters with sticks in their ass about doing their job. 

I guess they wouldn't have cast Jennifer Hale if they needed a softer character. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nobody. The entire Halo story for 99.99% of people is based on MC. Without him the series would lose most of its attraction for those people from a story perspective. Anyone that says differently is likely in far too deep with the story and they're likely failing to see the franchise from the point of view of someone that hasn't read all of the books and comics etc but still enjoys the story mode and pays attention during the games. 

As for me I've read through basically everything except the comics. I've never really found any of the stories outside of the S2s as interesting as the basis of the books that covered from Reach to about H2 plus Ghosts of Onyx. Not sure why exactly but it likely has a lot to do with how invested bungie/the writers were in those characters due to tying back into the games and such. The newer stuff feels super disconnected (especially in-game) and unimportant by comparison imo. I think the Halo universe is losing focus and its hurting the story telling aspect

But it's happening with Gears though....

You're saying that over one trailer? Unless Rod himself tells us that Marcus and the boys are gone, then it isn't the case at all.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're saying that over one trailer? Unless Rod himself tells us that Marcus and the boys are gone, then it isn't the case at all.

They might not be gone but they might not be the focus of the game, else they would have at least mentioned Marcus in it.