CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Depends on what the delta (percentage change between sprint and base) variable is. If it's 15% or less, we can definitely do this. We used a 10% base buff before in Halo 3, don't see why we couldn't do it again.

The cool thing if we do this, is we could keep sprint turned on even though it adds zero to next to nothing increase to speed, is that we can still use the slide ability. Personally, I like the slide. It adds depth to the game. Sliding around a corner and getting the first shot while the opponant wiffs as they were aiming higher is hilariously satisfying.

Yea for slide purposes keeping sprint would be fine. That makes sense.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Yea for slide purposes keeping sprint would be fine. That makes sense.

We need to find out what the delta variable is. Judging by the Pax Prime and Gamescon footage, sprint doesn't look much faster than base speed. We already know that sprint was significantly toned down from H4 and Reach to balance it having no duration limit, and Josh Holmes had said after the beta they were looking to dial it down further.

I think it'd be entirely cool if 343i pulled a Bionicle 2, and had the old hero die for the new one, starting a new generation (Probs in Halo 6). It'd give the hero a send off opportunity, possibly add to the development of the new hero, whoever they are (Locke, it seems), and give us feels. We all love feels, right?

That's never going to happen. Master Chief IS Halo.

I've never been able to find the original source of this (it was from 2011 or so) but 343 Industries know that people play Halo's campaign because of the Master Chief, hence why we get a brand new trilogy of games relating to him and not multiple spinoffs. 

If they do kill off mc I hope they replace him with someone more interesting then Locke.

Give Locke a chance to get fleshed out. We've seen him in Nightfall and promotional trailers for Halo 5. Chief has 14 years of lore behind him.

Anyone else think that if Spartan Ops was received more generously, we'd have Thorne leading a team to hunt the Chief instead? He pretty much was built up to be a new central character in Spartan Ops, after all (Halsey says he's the closest to being a real Spartan, he disobeys DeMarco and saves the day by doing so, etc).

Not saying I prefer Thorne over Locke (or vice versa), I'm just wondering what would have been if things had gone a bit differently.

The Halo 5 concept art book actually shows someone from Majestic originally being in Fireteam Osiris. 

51DXpBOqUTL._SX388_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I think that's Thorne's helmet, the default Blue recruit?

Notice the lack of Buck too.

Don't some people think that the reason why it's called the Reclaimer "Saga" instead of trilogy is because it's going to be more than three games?

They originally announced a brand new trilogy but later said saga because of all the other outside media that ties into the story. Books, comics, short stories, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Notice the lack of Buck too.

Having Nathan Fillion in this game is one of the best things 343 has done!

It's probably a unpopular opinion but that gets me more exited than blue team

• Upvote (+1) 2

Having Nathan Fillion in this game is one of the best things 343 has done!

It's probably a unpopular opinion but that gets me more exited than blue team

943e5e5772eb536c596bc37f2c6cb825.png

Pistol reticule got smaller when zoomed in. Sigh.

What's wrong with this? I thought the reticles getting smaller when zoomed was one of the things H2A did well - in most Halo games the reticle isn't a very good representation of where your bullets will actually go. With a precise single shot weapon I'd hope that the reticle would provide more accurate information to the player.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Quinn tweeted last night that a new post game stat will be in Halo 5 --Damage dealt

Nothing big but still pretty cool.

This is literally the best thing I've heard about Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 8

No one will have higher damage/lower kills/uncounted assists than me.

No, me

Could someone explain to me why a damage dealt stat is such a good thing? (What is it useful for?) I saw a lot people on Twitter that were pretty hyped about it.

Could someone explain to me why a damage dealt stat is such a good thing? (What is it useful for?) I saw a lot people on Twitter that were pretty hyped about it.

Because damage dealt is a statistic far more reliable than kills, deaths and assists to understand how much impact a player had on the game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The reason why people are hyped for it, myself included, is because this stat will shine some light on the "intangibles" that happen throughout a game. You may not have gotten the kill or assist, but you still put those shots into people and affected the game. Think of this scenario: You find yourself alone, getting triple-teamed. You manage to get all three of them no shields before you die but your team is on the respawn, so no assists either. This stat shows that you did that damage and weren't completely useless. Those shots and getting those players and others no-shields throughout the game prevents set-ups, delays pushes, and allows your team to get into position. It's a stat that people can point to and say "hey, I was shooting people and doing damage, I was doing something!" Remember all the times you put 3 shots into a guy who was no-shields but didn't get the kill or assist? At least you'll still show that damage in the post game lobby. Or at least that's how I'm viewing the stat.

• Upvote (+1) 6

The reason why people are hyped for it, myself included, is because this stat will shine some light on the "intangibles" that happen throughout a game. You may not have gotten the kill or assist, but you still put those shots into people and affected the game. Think of this scenario: You find yourself alone, getting triple-teamed. You manage to get all three of them no shields before you die but your team is on the respawn, so no assists either. This stat shows that you did that damage and weren't completely useless. Those shots and getting those players and others no-shields throughout the game prevents set-ups, delays pushes, and allows your team to get into position. It's a stat that people can point to and say "hey, I was shooting people and doing damage, I was doing something!" Remember all the times you put 3 shots into a guy who was no-shields but didn't get the kill or assist? At least you'll still show that damage in the post game lobby. Or at least that's how I'm viewing the stat.

It's also good for meta-analysis of how winning and losing teams execute. If we had an API into the stat tracker, we could potentially run some very interesting data projects.

COUGHHEYJOSHCOUGH

That's not true. Chief is incredibly important and we love him, but the Halo universe is bigger than any individual character.

This is a good point. Locke and Chief are very different characters (intentionally so) and you'll learn more about both of them over the course of Halo 5's story. At this point you've seen very little of Locke so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about his motivations.

Thorne was originally the fourth member of Fireteam Osiris, but he was never intended to be the leader (that was always Locke). As the story evolved, Buck took Thorne's place as his sense of humor worked well with the team. Also, we love Nathan. The cover image for the art book is one created in early pre-production when Thorne was still on the team and it's one of my favorite concept images. It was painted by John Wallin Liberto and perfectly captures the epic sense of adventure that Halo 5 is all about.

In terms of Chief dying and someone replacing him for Halo 6 and beyond? I don't ever see it happening. It was probably ignorant of me to say Chief IS Halo but I don't think anybody could deny he is the biggest interest people have. 

Nice to have some confirmation on Throne originally being the fourth member of Osiris. That concept piece has had me thinking for a while.

Welcome back, by the way. We've missed your presence :)

• Upvote (+1) 3

Chief could die in Halo 6 and 'Halo' could continue past Halo 6 being a new Halo. It would make sense with the 3 game contract or whatever 

Chief could die in Halo 6 and 'Halo' could continue past Halo 6 being a new Halo. It would make sense with the 3 game contract or whatever 

Why does he have to die though?

After all the shit he had to face, I think he deserves a nice happy ending

Why does he have to die though?

After all the shit he had to face, I think he deserves a nice happy ending

Chief in a wheel chair kicking ass
  • Upvote (+1) 2