CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I think it'd be entirely cool if 343i pulled a Bionicle 2, and had the old hero die for the new one, starting a new generation (Probs in Halo 6). It'd give the hero a send off opportunity, possibly add to the development of the new hero, whoever they are (Locke, it seems), and give us feels. We all love feels, right?

I'd be okay with that.

You know who wouldn't be okay with that though?

Waypoint.

Honestly, the anarchy that would ensue for the next few months would shatter the already cracked facade of daily life on that site. 343 is literally held at bay by their own angst-y attack dog.

From what I hear, DX12 will enable developers to access the extremely fast (and currently hard to access) 32MB eSRAM module which might end the resolution difficulties. But that could just be marketing garbage.

Who knows.

I think a third party dev said this, and then a dev from the witcher team said it wouldn't. The only thing ms said was that it wasn't magic.

So I'm gonna wait and see.

I rewatched the trailer and realized they didn't do anything too crazy for a spartan. There was just so much on the screen that it made it seem that way the first time. Re-watch and focus on one spartan through the whole thing. They seemed to be running through the battlefield while taking jabs at startled soldiers rather than taking on an entire army. For those complaining about no character development, that was just one freaking scene. There's plenty more.

• Upvote (+1) 1

so what resolution was this cutscene running at? 

I'm gonna go ahead and guess 1080p for this promotional thing, but 900p when we get it in-game.

So you're telling me gameplay took a hit to improve the netcode... what kind of shitty logic is that?

It's almost as good as Bungie telling us bullet spread on the BR was necessary to motivate weapon diversity in Halo 3!

Grenade movement would significantly impact netcode particularly when dropped by a ragdoll. Each frame had to reflect the new position of the grenade if it rolled down a gentle slope like all over Reflection. So they changed the grenade to roll or move and then quickly come to a stop.

So yall getting super upset about the campaign trailer when you don't really care for campaign or lore(or know much about it) and giving us paragraphs of ignorance to read as to why its bad because it isn't a brutally honest representation of gameplay from a cutscene.

I think people are more upset these days that "gameplay" trailers are not representative of the final product rather than worrying about cutscenes not being representative. It's a great trailer IMO and definitely has got a lot of people hyped and pumped for the game as it was intended to do.

So yall getting super upset about the campaign trailer when you don't really care for campaign or lore(or know much about it) and giving us paragraphs of ignorance to read as to why its bad because it isn't a brutally honest representation of gameplay from a cutscene.

I think people are more upset these days that "gameplay" trailers are not representative of the final product rather than worrying about cutscenes not being representative. It's a great trailer IMO and definitely has got a lot of people hyped and pumped for the game as it was intended to do.

the only real slap in the face is the fact that they're running at breakneck speeds and shooting at the same time. And the fact that the elites didn't do much, but that's usually the case in cinematic pieces, some things just get sacrificed in the moment, if they're bad ass throughout the rest of the game, than I won't really give a shit.

To be fair, a lot of people had the legitimate complaints that it's simply antithetical to the Spartans the games have provided. Spartans were never that fast in the games, they didn't have the same technology, and enemies were always aware of your presence. However, the extended media always described Spartans as being super hero like, being fast, super strong, they were described as these legendary warriors, so I Don't fault 343 for moving in the super hero esque direction.

so what resolution was this cutscene running at? 

Its a Cinematic Cut-scene it does not reflect gameplay what so ever, it may be a bunch of in-engine scripted events with extra effects added. If they are smart they could get it running at 1080p 30fps and add motion blur to make sure it doesn't look choppy.

From what I hear, DX12 will enable developers to access the extremely fast (and currently hard to access) 32MB eSRAM module which might end the resolution difficulties. But that could just be marketing garbage.

Who knows.

Bunch of Garbage IMO, you're gonna have to hard code to get any performance gains out of it and I'm still not sure of the real world performance gains out of it. Its been two years and DEVs still haven't made any success. The only thing I see making a difference right now is that the PS4 has 1152 GPU shaders and the Xbox One has 768 Shaders, do the Math.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo campaign used to have a lot of mystery but was clear to follow.  Halo 4 was just confusing and I still don't understand it because I can't be fucked reading books about Halo.  I hope Halo 5 brings back the mystery.  Honestly, I think that the Halo 5 campaign gameplay will be fun but it feels like there will be constant chatter from the spartans you're in a squad with, constantly babying you on what you need to do next.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If 343 didn't like chief, or wanted to kill him off, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have brought him back in the first place.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its a Cinematic Cut-scene it does not reflect gameplay what so ever, it may be a bunch of in-engine scripted events with extra effects added. If they are smart they could get it running at 1080p 30fps and add motion blur to make sure it doesn't look choppy.

Bunch of Garbage IMO, you're gonna have to hard code to get any performance gains out of it and I'm still not sure of the real world performance gains out of it. Its been two years and DEVs still haven't made any success. The only thing I see making a difference right now is that the PS4 has 1152 GPU shaders and the Xbox One has 768 Shaders, do the Math.

As a PC Master Racer, I point and laugh at your bigger number console war spec comparisons.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo campaign used to have a lot of mystery but was clear to follow.  Halo 4 was just confusing and I still don't understand it because I can't be fucked reading books about Halo.  I hope Halo 5 brings back the mystery.  Honestly, I think that the Halo 5 campaign gameplay will be fun but it feels like there will be constant chatter from the spartans you're in a squad with, constantly babying you on what you need to do next.

I wouldn't expect for the hints and suggestions to come ONLY from your team mates. I'm sure Chief/Locke will speak in-game, and say something to the extent of "Let's head this way!" on a regular basis.

As a PC Master Racer, I point and laugh at your bigger number console war spec comparisons.

I laugh at the fact that you're replying in a thread about a AAA Xbox Exclusive. What, run out of steam greenlight games to waste time on?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone else think that if Spartan Ops was received more generously, we'd have Thorne leading a team to hunt the Chief instead? He pretty much was built up to be a new central character in Spartan Ops, after all (Halsey says he's the closest to being a real Spartan, he disobeys DeMarco and saves the day by doing so, etc).

Not saying I prefer Thorne over Locke (or vice versa), I'm just wondering what would have been if things had gone a bit differently.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone else think that if Spartan Ops was received more generously, we'd have Thorne leading a team to hunt the Chief instead? He pretty much was built up to be a new central character in Spartan Ops, after all (Halsey says he's the closest to being a real Spartan, he disobeys DeMarco and saves the day by doing so, etc).

Not saying I prefer Thorne over Locke (or vice versa), I'm just wondering what would have been if things had gone a bit differently.

ugh, hated all of those guys, hate the whole mode and the story.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

ugh, hated all of those guys, hate the whole mode and the story.

I wouldn't be surprised if Reed, instead of trying to make a more likable character, just made a bunch of terrible ones in order to make Thorne look better by comparison.

I laugh at the fact that you're replying in a thread about a AAA Xbox Exclusive. What, run out of steam greenlight games to waste time on?

I find console spec wars meaningless.

Genesis vs SNES, N64 vs PS1, Gamecube vs PS2 vs Xbox, PS3 vs Xbox 360 vs Wii...

It's an endless and pointless battle that's been looping itself for decades.

(And yes, I did run out of Greenlight games. Help, please.)

It was stated by a 343 employee several months ago (around the time of that Mike Colter interview where he said Locke was a main character and ppl misinterpreted it thinking he was THE main character) that Master Chief is the main protagonist of the reclaimer saga, which is H4-6... so that's why I don't think he will die in Halo 5.

Grenade movement would significantly impact netcode particularly when dropped by a ragdoll. Each frame had to reflect the new position of the grenade if it rolled down a gentle slope like all over Reflection. So they changed the grenade to roll or move and then quickly come to a stop.

Seems unlikely it had a massive impact considering they also massively reduced the amount of ragdoll dead bodies have.

I don't see how that has to do with the bounciness of grenades though, it should have just been a physics change when grenades come in contact with dead bodies.

It was stated by a 343 employee several months ago (around the time of that Mike Colter interview where he said Locke was a main character and ppl misinterpreted it thinking he was THE main character) that Master Chief is the main protagonist of the reclaimer saga, which is H4-6... so that's why I don't think he will die in Halo 5.

Don't some people think that the reason why it's called the Reclaimer "Saga" instead of trilogy is because it's going to be more than three games?