CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I think the assist medal was the greatest addition in terms of medals in recent Halos. So many times you make a 1 shot, call him out, but among the action miss that they were killed in the killfeed. Likewise a half-second red X, opposed to a 3 seconds "kill" text, could be missed as well. So can your gametag in the killfeed.

It's just a case of, it's so simple and non-invasive, and so helpful so why not?

Yea the assist medal is really valuable. If they aren't going to put it back into the arena medals, then I think they should at least add your name to the killfeed and change the text color (or change the background color, change the text color, and put a border around your contribution) so you can easily see it from the corner of your eye (kind of like Team Fortress 2 on PC)

Example:

Player2 killed Player7

Player3 killed Player5

Player 1 + You killed Player 6 (You got the assist)​

You Killed Player​8 (You got a kill)

Yea the assist medal is really valuable. If they aren't going to put it back into the arena medals, then I think they should at least add your name to the killfeed and change the text color (or change the background color, change the text color, and put a border around your contribution) so you can easily see it from the corner of your eye (kind of like Team Fortress 2 on PC)

Example:

Player2 killed Player7

Player3 killed Player5

Player 1 + You killed Player 6 (You got the assist)​

You Killed Player​8 (You got a kill)

Like CS. If we can't get an assist medal then that's the next best thing.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

If we get a no sprint playlist, what would you want the settings to be? My vote would be to have base movement speed cracked up to the level of sprint (~160). And leave everything else default.

This way players can still make all of the skill thruster/clamber jumps without having to alter the maps.

Also, who is in charge of making the official Beyond no-sprint setting Day 1.

That's what I'm saying

More tempted to say that it's because they're known to be difficult, ruthless and an actual mental challenge for the player, as opposed to 99% of games being released nowadays, where you're babysat with all too familiar mechanics, tutorials and enemies that set themselves up to be defeated.

Though sure, Halo could also benefit from this sort of approach when designed (emphasis on actual challenge). But a game could be as successful and popular as Souls based on the challenge it provides, even without the ultra grim theme. It's just immersive.

That is part of it. But the mood of the souls series is a big part too. Im a die hard souls fan. I bought a PS4 to play bloodborne. I don't even like hard games.

So, how bout those quality standards...

Holy lack of thumbs.

There's a medal for killing someone with your last bullet? Really? Over an assist medal?

This is a great comment from Skylar Widis in Kotaku, about Halo 5's cinematic. Interesting and I agree to some extend.

So this started off well enough, but am I the only person who that that, by the end, it was coming off as if the cinematic team at 343 was just starting to jerk themselves off a bit? I really don’t know what that extended downhill fight scene did other than just take a kind of neat premise for a fight and then devoid it of any substance by missing the opportunity to perhaps display something about each character during it. It really just came off like “Here’s four soldiers shooting at aliens as they run downhill” as opposed to “Here’s four CHARACTERS engaging in a fight in their own ways.”

It just seems like a lost moment for displaying something about the characters, which would have been interesting, and instead never elevates itself beyond a neat enough idea that ran on for too long and was devoid of anything substantive. 

EDIT: Can we also just retire the fucking “You buy the beer when we get back home blah blah blah” cliche? It seems like that line is in practically every pre-battle scene and it’s just boring to hear at this point. 
  • Upvote (+1) 3

This is a great comment from Skylar Widis in Kotaku, about Halo 5's cinematic. Interesting and I agree to some extend.

Yeah that whole "buy me a beer" exchange was really weird. Like, did anyone else notice how robotic Locke seemed when he said "you ask, you buy"?

Because it cuts to Locke's face, and I swear, he's completely silent and stone faced for a good half a second, as if the LockeBot 3000 was taking its time to formulate an appropiate response.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah that whole "buy me a beer" exchange was really weird. Like, did anyone else notice how robotic Locke seemed when he said "you ask, you buy"?

Because it cuts to Locke's face, and I swear, he's completely silent and stone faced for a good half a second, as if the LockeBot 3000 was taking its time to formulate an appropiate response.

his delivery was infinitely better than anything mike colter gave.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

It showed that despite him being all work and no play, he has a sense of humor, as well as some pride and "brother"hood within fireteam Osiris. I liked it. Nice touch, IMO. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly this. I think Locke is fittingly more intimidating in this than in any other previous trailer.

To be fair, if you're going to be hunting the most legendary supersoldier in green armor, make sure your tone can put people in their place.

It showed that despite him being all work and no play, he has a sense of humor, as well as some pride and "brother"hood within fireteam Osiris. I liked it. Nice touch, IMO. 

Could be better imo. I understand Alpha's perspective. He was pretty a bit too serious for my liking, a smile wouldn't hurt. I'm all for the brotherhood things betweem team members.

Could be better imo. I understand Alpha's perspective. He was pretty a bit too serious for my liking, a smile wouldn't hurt. I'm all for the brotherhood things betweem team members.

yeah and then crumble and bicker when they get their ass kicked by Blue Team  :flames:  :flames:  :flames:

• Upvote (+1) 1

yeah and then crumble and bicker when they get their ass kicked by Blue Team :flames: :flames: :flames:

well according to the cinematic, Osiris is god, can kill everything anywhere, bring down capital ships, and move at lightning speeds.

With their guns up! :kappa:

well according to the cinematic, Osiris is god, can kill everything anywhere, bring down capital ships, and move at lightning speeds.

With their guns up! :kappa:

If Osiris is god, Blue Team is what came before it ;)

I watched it again and I saw a spirit drop ship. This really pleased me.

Pr3MdKy.png

Not the first time we've seen them in Halo 5 :)

Yea what the heck was that about? Why were people not playing?

From what I saw in PAX vlogs, you were free to leave whenever you wanted and anyone else could jump in and pick up a controller to take over your spot. Sounds like two spots were empty.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is your complaint seriously?

Well given this was 343's prize trophy for everything including sprint, their failure to achieve any realism on any level in campaign only amplifies their total and complete failure at game development.

Is this my only issue with the trailer itself? Well, ya. But that is plenty.

How are the enemies mindless and incompetent? Osiris are not only walking tanks but they also caught the enemy in the middle of a civil war.

Uh remember the scene where she hugs one of them as a body shield while unloading her magnum into another? How did she live past his grip? Oh, he was incompetent and didn't take her down .

Uh remember the scene where she hugs one of them as a body shield while unloading her magnum into another? How did she live past his grip? Oh, he was incompetent and didn't take her down .

Let me introduce you to 343's Covenant AI... 

Reasons why they look so light running down the mountain:

• They weigh roughly 1,000 pounds and have an extreme amount of momentum from that jump
  • They're constantly using 'Thrusters'
  • ... It's a mountain
  • it's a Christmas miracle.

Fixed

Last time a Spartan jumped from thousands of feet up, he was in a coma for hours.

So I'm supposed to imagine this universe on "normal"? Because that really takes the wind out of everything.

That will teach him never leave home without his thruster pack.