CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Pardon me, but if im going to war in the field of combat i will not be thinking of a drink afterwards. I would be thinking of getting Vale and Tanaka sweet ass alone to my head quarters.

#SPACEBROS

Pardon me, but if im going to war in the field of combat i will not be thinking of a drink afterwards. I would be thinking of getting Vale and Tanaka sweet ass alone to my head quarters.

#SPACEBROS

oS47R9e.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1

#SPACEBROS

edR5X7T.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

really? Reach was pretty mature IMO, nary a joke made in that game, arguably the only lighthearted thing to come from reach was a bird everybody liked killing.

But the characters barely showed any emotions 

The Best ones from the Noble team died so early too (Jorge, Kat)

btw Way I define mature by connecting to Adult audiences through Emotions, Relation and Character Progression 

I dunno, Reach was so washed and gritty, it made me hate the way all the maps looked except Powerhouse. Maybe they all played like shit too, which didn't help. Thinking about it, the Ivory Tower remake looked amazing but was ruined by its maple syrup flooring.

Wasn't a big fan of how spartans looked coming from H3 either. Thought the differences made sense lore-wise, but meh.

Reach's Ivory Tower was almost as bad as Boardwalk. Maybe if somehow the map had worked and was fun to play, we'd look back on the maple syrup with fondness.

#SPACEBROS

You better practice your Ground Pound.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Reach's Ivory Tower was almost as bad as Boardwalk. Maybe if somehow the map had worked and was fun to play, we'd look back on the maple syrup with fondness.

IMO I don't think the map ever had a chance of being great with the maple syrup floors (calling them like this because of the stickiness of grenades, not the looks). If grenades actually bounced, it would have been already 100% better.

Zealot was kinda like that too. Grenades didn't really bounce off the floor. It was so annoying, I almost wish it would have been sticky grenade starts.

IMO I don't think the map ever had a chance of being great with the maple syrup floors (calling them like this because of the stickiness of grenades, not the looks). If grenades actually bounced, it would have been already 100% better.

Zealot was kinda like that too. Grenades didn't really bounce off the floor. It was so annoying, I almost wish it would have been sticky grenade starts.

The SKYBOIZ AERIAL A$$AULT squads that broke out jetpacks instantly on maps like Zealot and Ivory Tower made sure 3/4 of the maps in the game never stood a chance.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Hope halo 6 is dark as hell artistically. THe reason people like games like dark souls and bloodbourne is because theyre so morbid and dark. Halo needs to take an artistic turn. they started to get there with the Reach art... fingers crossed.

The Souls series has that going for it, but really I think it comes down to it's atmosphere; to the unprecedented majesty blasting through the clouds like sunlight in Anor Londo, or the familiar blaze that wraps the mind in contemplation at Firelink, or the decaying beauty that's submerged the ruins of New Londo, or the exile of Quelaag and her sister in Blighttown, where no one will find them, to the meloncholy crash of Gwyn - Lord of Cinder, and the whimpering inevitability of it all in retrospect. I think that's Dark Souls. Inevitability. You will die. So will they. It's a game that respects the player's questions and their intelligence.

It's the sort of atmospheric chord the Forerunner stories are wailing to play. It's the sort of question that could easily plague the mind of a player whose thumbsticks move a human purposefully devoid of humanity. It's the sort of respect that mingles with blood in an Elite's veins. It's the sort of majesty that glittering warships eclipsing the sun so perfectly exemplifies. It's the sort of story that Rings and Empires and Survival and Sins and Heresy and Journeys were made to tell.

None of this Spartan Power Ranger shit.

• Upvote (+1) 5

btw Way I define mature by connecting to Adult audiences through Emotions, Relation and Character Progression 

Damn upvote quota. I agree. You get a metaphysical +1.

(Or whatever the fuck they call them here)

• Upvote (+1) 1

The SKYBOIZ AERIAL A$$AULT squads that broke out jetpacks instantly on maps like Zealot and Ivory Tower made sure 3/4 of the maps in the game never stood a chance.

The problem isn't so much that people abused jetpacks, but rather the fact that Bungie was too incompetent to test them properly and break their own game using them, so guess what happened once the game came out.

What's truly impressive is that they chose never to do anything about it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I like using this video when ever a #immersion kiddie says "Spartans should be able to sprint" and I hit them with the "Faster Base Player Speed Master Race."

Faster base speed >>>>>>>>>>>>>> sprint.

In fairness though, I can see why we have sprint, as it gives the illusion so speeding up the game. If we could sprint without putting our guns down, I'd be fine with it completely. I honestly don't mind having two different movement speeds.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Faster base speed >>>>>>>>>>>>>> sprint.

In fairness though, I can see why we have sprint, as it gives the illusion so speeding up the game. If we could sprint without putting our guns down, I'd be fine with it completely. I honestly don't mind having two different movement speeds.

Well what more can we fucking do?

The community have tried so hard about this Sprint Issue day one

• Upvote (+1) 1

The problem isn't so much that people abused jetpacks, but rather the fact that Bungie was too incompetent to test them properly and break their own game using them, so guess what happened once the game came out.

What's truly impressive is that they chose never to do anything about it.

What makes me so angry about Reach was that out of all the Halo games, it probably had the most potential. If the game had been patched a month or two later to remove bloom and armor abilities in most playlists, I think Reach would've been a solid continuation of success. Instead we get a half-assed patch like a year and a half later that's applied to a minority of playlists. It was a shame, NBNS Reach felt really nice and smooth to play, ignoring a lack of a solid base of good maps.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Does anyone else think there needs to be a HUD notification for killing someone? I know a red X appears on your crosshair when you land a killing shot, and that it has your gamertag killed opponents gamertag in the killfeed. But it just feels so odd not having the 'you killed X' popping up like there always has been. In the Warzone gameplays I've seen they have a generic kill medal which does the trick, as well as the assist medal which is equally important I feel. Both of these could be used in arena, but maybe just have the "Kill" and "Assist" words in the lower central medal feed, but not the medals above them?

Thoughts?

• Upvote (+1) 4

Does anyone else think there needs to be a HUD notification for killing someone? I know a red X appears on your crosshair when you land a killing shot, and that it has your gamertag killed opponents gamertag in the killfeed. But it just feels so odd not having the 'you killed X' popping up like there always has been. In the Warzone gameplays I've seen they have a generic kill medal which does the trick, as well as the assist medal which is equally important I feel. Both of these could be used in arena, but maybe just have the "Kill" and "Assist" words in the lower central medal feed, but not the medals above them?

Thoughts?

Having the word kill without a medal for it is a pretty cool concept. Assist is still up in the air for me, I understand the desire to have it though.

I'm sure 343 realized when they removed the medals that they need an indicator. Maybe there will be something there for launch that is more indicative.

Can't we just increase base movement speed to match sprint speed and then make a "no sprint" ruleset. That seems like the best way to counter the "maps are designed around sprint" argument as well as "sprint is only defensive". I feel like this would be the best solution.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Thoughts?

IMO, the x is more than sufficient. 

I will say though, the assist medal NEEDS to come back. 

really? Reach was pretty mature IMO, nary a joke made in that game, arguably the only lighthearted thing to come from reach was a bird everybody liked killing.

Reach's humor definitely came more from what the player could do in the game, rather than because of characters dropping witty one liners. Off the top of my head, you've got the Moa, the various joke vehicles, like the Forklift and the two truck variants from the Package, and grunts being sent sprawling through the air when their methane tank was breached.

There's also Kat's innuedo that may imply that Carter has a small ween...

"How long?"

"Question of my life,"

Wow, someone else who likes Kat? There are dozens of us!

I feel like there's a BIT more interesting things going on with Noble Team outside of those two, though. Like, one thing I thought that Reach did better than ODST (even though think ODST has stronger characters) is how well they made the player really feel like they were a new member of this team. Like, remember the Noble Actual cutscene? Your Noble Six walks in all badass like, and for a good while, no one actually addresses you. They talk about you, sure, but they act like you're not even there. If that doesn't make you feel like the new kid in class, I don't know what will.

Though, I do think Emile's a little interesting. But that may simply be because of how he talks about Jorge after his death, when Noble Team is holed up in that ONI tower in New Alexandria. Some people think that Emile was being disrespectful when he said "Jorge always said he would never leave Reach...", but I dunno, since Emile immediately takes a more somber tone when Six offers to return Jorge's dog tags, I can't help but feel like that comment from before was just his way of trying to cope with grief.

And then there's Carter. Noble One himself isn't really anything more than your regular "firm leader" that we've seen in a hundred other stories, but I feel like what makes him interesting is the reveal that he and Kat used to be in a romantic relationship. Though I guess in that case, only the RELATIONSHIP is interesting, and not the character himself. But whatever.

But yeah, think back to all the times Kat and Carter interacted with each other, Definitely puts every scene in a brand new light, at least for me. Like, Kat seems to speak to Carter in a more informal tone compared to the other members, and if you notice, Carter was pretty quick to come to the aid of Kat when Halsey started getting on her case. And then, of course, there's the fact that when Noble Team emerges from the bunker, it is Carter who is carrying Kat's lifeless body out of there.

And what about Jun? Apparently, in earlier drafts of the story, he was supposed to make cooking puns. That was his shtick. How... odd.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thoughts?

I noticed the same thing myself. It should definitely say "You [weapon] opponent" or show your gamertag in green or whatever color matches the HUD rather than the team color (or both really). It makes it needlessly confusing.

–––

OT: Site staff, why do we get captchas when previewing posts? Half of the time it eats up the post and brings us back at the landing page of forums.

I think the assist medal was the greatest addition in terms of medals in recent Halos. So many times you make a 1 shot, call him out, but among the action miss that they were killed in the killfeed. Likewise a half-second red X, opposed to a 3 seconds "kill" text, could be missed as well. So can your gametag in the killfeed.

It's just a case of, it's so simple and non-invasive, and so helpful so why not?

• Upvote (+1) 2

If we get a no sprint playlist, what would you want the settings to be? My vote would be to have base movement speed cracked up to the level of sprint (~160). And leave everything else default.

This way players can still make all of the skill thruster/clamber jumps without having to alter the maps.

Also, who is in charge of making the official Beyond no-sprint setting Day 1.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I watched it again and I saw a spirit drop ship. This really pleased me.

Pr3MdKy.png

• Upvote (+1) 1