CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

No, I was meaning the one with MC, Kelly, and Fred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bglzosd3QPU&feature=youtu.be&t=6m30s

-edit-

How the hell do I embed this? The media tag isn't working for me.

-edit 2-

Nevermind. It was supposed to start at 6:30, so fast forward to there. It's literally Blue Team sprinting and slaying bodies.

"Oh, but it's not in a game, so it doesn't count". Yeah? Well, you don't move nearly as fast in any Halo game as the H5 cinematic shows Osiris. Sodd off.

The difference between the two teams in these two videos? One team has the momentum from dropping down to send them speeding through enemy lines, the other is just flat out sprinting. One team is causing chaos, but not necessarily killing everything, while the other team is.

But again, the Osiris video is Halo 5, so we must shit on it.

I much prefer the way spartans AND elites are portrayed in this over the Halo 5 trailer. Not sure why, they're actually pretty close in content but still

• Upvote (+1) 1

This thread for the past few pages has been a whirlwind. Just sitting here on my comfy ass bed, enjoying(?) the ride.

People using lore on the Beyond forums to try and justify awful gameplay decisions. Now I've seen it all. lol

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

People using lore on the Beyond forums to try and justify awful gameplay decisions. Now I've seen it all. lol

uh no, we're justifying the depiction of characters in a cutscene.
  • Upvote (+1) 7

Last time a Spartan jumped from thousands of feet up, he was in a coma for hours.

So I'm supposed to imagine this universe on "normal"? Because that really takes the wind out of everything.

Judging by him being ON FIRE as he fell to Earth he was probably falling with debris that affected his landing or he fell from... space. Noble 6 fell from space and was fine as well.

Man you guys are really picking this one apart huh. Throughout the entire game's existence we barely see any Spartans involved in action during cutscenes. When there was action we got to see: MC eject himself out of a spaceship to detonate a bomb and land onto another spaceship, and if we're even getting REALLY nitpicking how did MC pick up a Rocket Launcher WHILE he had an SMG in-hand during the Regret mission cutscene?

Most of the cutscenes have been the MC just walking/talking/running. When we have seen him in action is been pretty fuckin' crazy. I am in no way justifying gameplay choices of spartan abilities but I don't know how it is so hard to grasp what these Spartans are doing with the aid of new technology.

I look at this trailer, and all I see are the innate skills of a spartan being taken advantage of with the aid of new technology.

Hardly cause for controversy.

My problem with it is that there's going going to be a really big disconnect between this and the gameplay.

The cutscene also felt really fake, it was far too obviously choreographed. It didn't seem like an actual fight at all.

• Upvote (+1) 2

uh no, we're justifying the depiction of characters in a cutscene.

So are they going to get pixar in on this as well and just name the game "Space Story" because that's what this franchise is starting to look like. But it's edgy, so it might get a hardcore PG rating. WOOOOHHHH! 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Sure. I'll grab my calculator

Based on my calculation, the Spartans at a given weight of 1,000 lbs. would hit a terminal velocity of 1,188 mph.

Now you pick up from there, the amount of opposing force necessary to slow them down in the time showed in the trailer, and we'll see if that force isn't enough to rip their suits apart or otherwise kill them.

• Upvote (+1) 4

My problem with it is that there's going going to be a really big disconnect between this and the gameplay.

The cutscene also felt really fake, it was far too obviously choreographed. It didn't seem like an actual fight at all.

Your first point I can see, sure, to an extent. 

The second point though I'm not seeing it at all. Felt really well done. 

Based on my calculation, the Spartans at a given weight of 1,000 lbs. would hit a terminal velocity of 1,188 mph.

Now you pick up from there, the amount of opposing force necessary to slow them down in the time showed in the trailer, and we'll see if that force isn't enough to rip their suits apart or otherwise kill them.

lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes, let's hear your rationale for ignoring lore in some areas and not in others.

I ignore lore in places where my suspension of disbelief is not broken by such visually ludicrous feats.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sort of off topic: Battlefront 3 has been confirmed to NOT have a server browser.

I know, two different companies, but if a company who usually includes this feature in their games omits it I feel like there's no chance of seeing one in H5 for custom games. 

well that I'm kind of expecting but waiting to see for myself. To your second point, I said before how it's a complaint accociated with the Star Wars prequels, I just look at it as, the characters are that good at responding to what's going on that it looks kind of staged.

Well since you are the math and physics wiz here, were they free falling the entire time or controlling their speed with the thrusters?

BTW when I said I'll get my calculator, I was joking dude.

Going to post a comment left in the discussion thread for the new trailer and I think it sums up nicely. From MyLifeIsAFacade:

"Having enjoyed the original trilogy and read the books, I feel that this type of over-the-top display sort of does a disservice to the series. It's excessive and beyond belief; fictitious or not, it still needs to maintain some semblance of realism.

I understand Spartans are the best of the best, but I feel like showcasing them as what are essentially god-like super heroes really takes away from them. What made the earlier games and books fantastic was that they weren'tunstoppable. They had weaknesses and limitations. Its one of the reasons why (to the disagreement of many) Reach was one of my favourites. It showed that yes, they were highly trained and accomplished what normally took an entire battalion, but at a cost to their entire squad.

Now you have four people prancing down a mountain slaughtering half the enemy forces like its nothing. Wheres the tension? Wheres the risk?"

This is a great post. If spartans were as powerful as the trailer made them look (or enemies this incompetent?), I doubt Noble Team would have ended how it did.

I mean shit, Noble Six got to a point where 2-3 Elites got the best of him.

WHY AM I PUTTING A SPOILER ON THIS ANYWAY, HASN'T EVERYONE PLAYED REACH?

It was a super hype type of trailer that really wants to make people feel like they can do the same with spartan abilities... which is cool I guess. It's most likely the kind of thing that really helps with sales. For example, 13-14 year old me thought bubble shields were hella cool when Chief used one in the Starry Night trailer... in-game was a different story. Chief also went full sprint in there which is something he never did in-game (foreshadowing?!)

So I dunno, I feel like that cinematic is definitely not representative of how things really are, just something that gets people pumped before the game starts (it's been said that it transitions to gameplay right after, so it makes a bit of sense). It's just not very akin to how Halo usually is and even though I'm definitely not the target audience it's reaching for, I can see why it's good that it looks like the way it does. Just a bit inaccurate.

It falls short of something like Deliver Hope though. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well since you are the math and physics wiz here, were they free falling the entire time or controlling their speed with the thrusters?

BTW when I said I'll get my calculator, I was joking dude.

Given that they can't thrust downward...

You responded so you must be guilty. Was directed at a lot of people. And yeah, I like to think I am. I don't tell people they're cancer or aids for liking something :)

Also the quotations means I said something similar to "few people being cancer", when in fact, go back and quote me saying that, because I didn't :DDDDDDDD

or something

Also, take a look at my rep and my time here. I don't complain about anything on here often.

Okay so because I responded I must be 14? Flawless logic, I'll make a mental note to never respond to you again because I lost a few brain cells right there.

You have a shit ton of posts, of course you're gonna have a lot of rep. Rep means very little anyways, if Josh Holmes posts the shittiest of memes he will still get +24.

I'm just tired of some of you guys acting like assholes towards others/anybody who likes H5 in the various threads around here.

If someone is harassing users just report them instead of making multiple posts how offended you are.

Okay so because I responded I must be 14? Flawless logic, I'll make a mental note to never respond to you again because I lost a few brain cells right there.

You have a shit ton of posts, of course you're gonna have a lot of rep. Rep means very little anyways, if Josh Holmes posts the shittiest of memes he will still get +24.

If someone is harassing users just report them instead of making multiple posts how offended you are.

Didn't call you 14, you threw that out there. I was just pointing out you got offended so you must have done something wrong :P

As far as the rest of what you said, meh, you'll get over it. I'm over it. And if you don't wanna respond to me anymore, go for it, fine with me. 

People will be people. 

actually have to agree, complaining about complaining is waypoint shit.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Uuuhhhhh... They can. Did we even watch the same video?

looked like they were just using that for trajectory.

Maybe the planet there on has weak gravity? :kappa:

Also, take a look at my rep and my time here. I don't complain about anything on here often. I'm just tired of some of you guys acting like assholes towards others/anybody who likes H5 in the various threads around here.

Chill out.

Rep/Time doesn't mean shit... specially when you have something to say. There are no bad opinions, just bad arguments... if you have good arguments behind your opinions, that's worth more than anything in this forum.

Holy fuck, this place.

And being directed by a 14 year old with 5 people agreeing with him.

LMAO. I'm losing my mind.

Do you honestly think this is a proper response to those 14 years old? Be the mature one, ignore them or give them a proper response. If you get attacked, don't attack back, and let's be honest... this is an open forum, anyone can say whatever they want.

Just wanted to see some people drop their pathetic attitudes and at least try to respect people who don't share the same opinion. 

If you're complaining about the movement? Well, get used to it, it's Halo 5. 

Dude, you just said.. #Adapt to anyone complaining about the movement? lol

OT: I liked the cutscene; however, I'm not agreeing with all the decisions behind it. Both the phase and the "theme" of the cutscene felt a bit weird. Just like meanbean mentioned, it can feel weird seeing that cinematic and then go straight to gameplay with major differences. Also, USNC haha.

Again, I really really hope they have flashbacks or background stories of what happened before H5: Guardians... people who don't read the novels or films are gonna be extremely confused. We don't want the same situation when Johnson was alive in H2 and everyone was like Wtf. We'll see, not a bad cinematic, but is not the best tbh.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Speaking of... 

Yo, this song made the trailer at least 5 times better.

Now I'm fucking pumped.

I actually enjoyed the trailer. Was it different? Yes, but it's nice to see that 343 is actually acknowledging how Spartans are portrayed in the books. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Chill out.

Rep/Time doesn't mean shit... specially when you have something to say. There are no bad opinions, just bad arguments... if you have good arguments behind your opinions, that's worth more than anything in this forum.

Do you honestly think this is a proper response to those 14 years old? Be the mature one, ignore them or give them a proper response. If you get attacked, don't attack back, and let's be honest... this is an open forum, anyone can say whatever they want.

Dude, you just said.. #Adapt to anyone complaining about the movement? lol

OT: I liked the cutscene; however, I'm not agreeing with all the decisions behind it. Both the phase and the "theme" of the cutscene felt a bit weird. Just like meanbean mentioned, it can feel weird seeing that cinematic and then go straight to gameplay with major differences. Also, USNC haha.

Again, I really really hope they have flashbacks or background stories of what happened before H5: Guardians... people who don't read the novels or films are gonna be extremely confused. We don't want the same situation when Johnson was alive in H2 and everyone was like Wtf. We'll see, not a bad cinematic, but is not the best tbh.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I see where people are thinking I called someone 14 years old.

No no, on a previous page someone said this looks like it was directed by a 14 year old (regarding the opening cinematic).

I was stated 5 people agreed that they think it's directed by a 14 year old. Which is fucking nuts. As far as your bad arguments spiel, I'm all for a good argument of a bad opinion. It's the bad arguments of any opinion that's annoying. (because immersion, stockholme syndrome, etc, etc). 

And no, not adapt, but understand that the new spartans are not like the old ones. People have to understand that. If they don't like it fine, but it's perfectly reasonable to see spartans move like this with their new suits. Hence, the 'this is Halo 5" statement.

• Upvote (+1) 1