CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Has anyone seen this yet?

Delicious close-zero magnetism.

So, the guy catches someome out in the open and at a height disadvantage. He then makes some great shots which end up resulting innnn.... a long 7 shot kill which the other player could have easily escaped from(had he not jumped back out for no apperent reason).

Wow. Exciting stuff.

Pistol needs a buff.

Just got a chance to watch the trailer. That was absolutely fantastic. Goosebumps from the moment they dropped. I'm still planning on diving directly into multiplayer, but I might actually play the campaign in the first month after release now.

"I figure if God can hear how scared I am, so can everyone else."

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just got a chance to watch the trailer. That was absolutely fantastic. Goosebumps from the moment they dropped. I'm still planning on diving directly into multiplayer, but I might actually play the campaign in the first month after release now.

"I figure if God can hear how scared I am, so can everyone else."

That was a great line. Im loving how 343i is showing what spartans can actually do now.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Each Spartan in that trailer did more work than Master Chief in all four Halo games combined.

Master Chief did it better. He didn't have to sprint (they keep putting their guns down), and he didn't have to clamber (they do).
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I thought the same thing - I was like, Well this is cool looking, can I do all that chained together when I play? No?

Well...... shit

I bet you could in forge or something.

Music was fantastic, sky dive was fucking awesome, action scene whilst running down a mountain? Ehhhhhh.

Just looked like a scene from the Avengers to me, too over the top and completely lacking in substance. It looked fairly cool and was well put together but I'm underwhelmed.

Didn't think I would ever agree with you.

I hate this power ranger crap with a passion. It seems one more time like 343 just wanted to make it look cool for 12 year olds. I don't care how it's portrayed in the books, there was never such a ridiculous thing in the games. Also, making the enemy powerless, mindless, incompetent imbeciles made out of cardboard is a guaranteed way to ruin your story. Without a real threat everything feels just "Yeah whatever, we gonna win anyway". Not to speak of the grotesque difference between gameplay and cutscenes. Is the mighty USNC now playing on easy with all cheats enabled?

In the other games you actually feared the covenant and especially the Elites. Now they're just another generic (how I hate that word) alien cannon fodder.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Didn't think I would ever agree with you.

I hate this power ranger crap with a passion. It seems one more time like 343 just wanted to make it look cool for 12 year olds. I don't care how it's portrayed in the books, there was never such a ridiculous thing in the games. Also, making the enemy powerless, mindless, incompetent imbeciles made out of cardboard is a guaranteed way to ruin your story. Without a real threat everything feels just "Yeah whatever, we gonna win anyway". Not to speak of the grotesque difference between gameplay and cutscenes. Is the mighty USNC now playing on easy with all cheats enabled?

In the other games you actually feared the covenant and especially the Elites. Now they're just another generic (how I hate that word) alien cannon fodder.

How are the enemies mindless and incompetent? Osiris are not only walking tanks but they also caught the enemy in the middle of a civil war.

A friend of mine speculated that it was the origin of the Chopper.

More like the origin of the Gungoose.

Has anyone seen this yet?

Delicious close-zero magnetism.

Reason number ###### that the Magnum should be the starting weapon (and be buffed to 4sk).

How are the enemies mindless and incompetent? Osiris are not only walking tanks but they also caught the enemy in the middle of a civil war.

Chief is also a walking tank, also caught the Covenant in the middle of a civil war (plus the flood) yet he didn't transform into fucking Thor.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Going to post a comment left in the discussion thread for the new trailer and I think it sums up nicely. From MyLifeIsAFacade:

"Having enjoyed the original trilogy and read the books, I feel that this type of over-the-top display sort of does a disservice to the series. It's excessive and beyond belief; fictitious or not, it still needs to maintain some semblance of realism.

I understand Spartans are the best of the best, but I feel like showcasing them as what are essentially god-like super heroes really takes away from them. What made the earlier games and books fantastic was that they weren'tunstoppable. They had weaknesses and limitations. Its one of the reasons why (to the disagreement of many) Reach was one of my favourites. It showed that yes, they were highly trained and accomplished what normally took an entire battalion, but at a cost to their entire squad.

Now you have four people prancing down a mountain slaughtering half the enemy forces like its nothing. Wheres the tension? Wheres the risk?"

Just replied to this comment with my own, agreeing.

Agreed completely. There's nothing more deflating to my sense of Immersion™ than to see a normal ("normal") person tearing through an active battlefield completely unmolested, like all guns seem to jam up around them. These are supposed to be superior military-minded soldiers, not a Marvel superteam who just shrug off bullets and defend themselves with a stern look. I want to see them executing battle maneuvers, I want to see them having realistic close-quarters combat, I want to see them taking precision shots. I want to see the intelligence, not mindless brawn from characters who are NOT invincible.

I realize it's just a trailer, but if this trailer matches the theme of the rest of the game then I'm somewhat unimpressed. It's entertaining when you're watching Haloid, not so much when you're watching the official material.

Also, that trailer was the most Mass Effect thing I've seen.

Also also, if there's fall damage in this game I will laugh my fucking ass off.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't think anybody comparing this to power rangers has ever watched it...

Going to post a comment left in the discussion thread for the new trailer and I think it sums up nicely. From MyLifeIsAFacade:

"Having enjoyed the original trilogy and read the books, I feel that this type of over-the-top display sort of does a disservice to the series. It's excessive and beyond belief; fictitious or not, it still needs to maintain some semblance of realism.

I understand Spartans are the best of the best, but I feel like showcasing them as what are essentially god-like super heroes really takes away from them. What made the earlier games and books fantastic was that they weren'tunstoppable. They had weaknesses and limitations. Its one of the reasons why (to the disagreement of many) Reach was one of my favourites. It showed that yes, they were highly trained and accomplished what normally took an entire battalion, but at a cost to their entire squad.

Now you have four people prancing down a mountain slaughtering half the enemy forces like its nothing. Wheres the tension? Wheres the risk?"

This is really more of a. (Look how far humanity has come in 6 years) I feel like the Spartans are being used to show how quickly Humans evolve when their on top of the food chain.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Also also, if there's fall damage in this game I will laugh my fucking ass off.

Are we really talking about realism in a game, where spartans instantly die after falling into the water ?

Yes, feel is different, but also the story moved forward. Humanity is no longer in position of facing much more advanced species. Yeah there is some mysterious force waiting in H5, but it is not the Covenant. Here, covenant is the inferiour force, and there is literally no way how can they be fair oponent to UNSC and Spartans. And just to remind you, Spartans never lost to Covenant when it comes to ground action.

Also, trying to judge the feel of whole game based on opening cinematic is not smart. This is where you should get hyped up for action with new powerful characters. Threat will show up eventually and they will face their limits.

If there is department where i am sure 343 will deliver, its the story and cutscenes.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Are we really talking about realism in a game, where spartans instantly die after falling into the water ?

Yes, feel is different, but also the story moved forward. Humanity is no longer in position of facing much more advanced species. Yeah there is some mysterious force waiting in H5, but it is not the Covenant. Here, covenant is the inferiour force, and there is literally no way how can they be fair oponent to UNSC and Spartans. And just to remind you, Spartans never lost to Covenant when it comes to ground action.

Also, trying to judge the feel of whole game based on opening cinematic is not smart. This is where you should get hyped up for action with new powerful characters. Threat will show up eventually and they will face their limits.

If there is department where i am sure 343 will deliver, its the story and cutscenes.

I think the Spartan 3s would like a word...

The cutscene was amazing, it showed what Spartans can actually do for once. Halo ce to 4 didn't really show what they can do. Plus its just an opening cutscene, its not going to be like that for the entire game

I think the Spartan 3s would like a word...

Uhm, yeah, different story though. They were trained for suicide missions. They did their job.

The cutscene was amazing, it showed what Spartans can actually do for once. Halo ce to 4 didn't really show what they can do.

Oooorrrrrr...it set the precedent for what they can do.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Wasn't really commenting on that but alright.

Wasn't really commenting on that but alright.

Yeah but if you wanted, you could find and pick on multiple things making no sense and standing against all laws of logic and physics. That is what i am saying. In the end we just want a game that is fun to play right ? (yeah, that might be a problem when it comes to certain gamemodes lmao)

Yeah but if you wanted, you could find and pick on multiple things making no sense and standing against all laws of logic and physics. That is what i am saying. In the end we just want a game that is fun to play right ? (yeah, that might be a problem when it comes to certain gamemodes lmao)

Directed energy weapons make no sense, but that doesn't have an effect on the theme of the game and the way I identify with playing as a Spartan. What we're seeing in this trailer just completely flies in the face of what I interpret the theme of Halo to be, especially after everything Cortana has said about Chief.

Could there be further context in the game? Maybe. But this was a Michael Bay-caliber effort (and I mean that in the most derisive way possible), and Halo developers do not have a track record of dangling mindless action in front of our faces only to provide us with meaning and substance in the material behind it - in fact, I'd say they've got a rep for doing the exact opposite.

• Upvote (+1) 2

What are you talking about? This thread has been pretty clean, the only annoying person is you by dismissing people's post simply because their new. That isn't welcoming to newcomers and it's post like yours that drives them away from the forum. Cut it out.

Lmao. Me getting Accused of being unfriendly to newcomers? Using a single response similar in vein to every short sided bullsht argument and getting called a hypocrite? Fucking love it.

Holy fuck, this place.

And being directed by a 14 year old with 5 people agreeing with him.

LMAO. I'm losing my mind.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Wow. That trailer was stupid.

At first I was like, ok, this looks awesome.

Then I was like. Ok. I never knew Locke was Thor and Nathan Fillion was Iron Man. Good to know.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The cutscene was amazing, it showed what Spartans can actually do for once.

First, Spartans aren't real.

Second, the original Bungie didn't envision spartans being like that.

Third and finally, 343 just set themselves up for something I hate in film which is seemingly invincible characters who, later in the story, somehow get killed in inane ways for plot purposes. Some guy like the Didact will show up and crush a spartan with the force while leaving the main character alive, then the main character will somehow escape and find a "clever" way to win.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2