CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

3 Things I took away from that cinematic

1. I get angry every time I see the "343 studios" logo

2. So help me if there is any sort of fall damage

3. I just sprinted A LOT

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I know that technically they're capable of this stuff but I just thought the whole scene was a bit ridiculous.

I've always considered Halo as a fairly grounded series but so much of that was just implausible to me. There were ships randomly crashing all over the place, the Spartans seemed to be able to matrix dodge any bullets coming towards them, the Covenant were completely useless with elites dying from a few AR shots and being completely incapable of hindering the Spartans at all.

There's going to be a massive disconnect between that cutscene and the actual gameplay. We'll go from sprinting down mountains at breakneck speeds to casually jogging around, elites will suddenly actually pose a threat and will take more than a few AR rounds to take down, bullets will actually be fired at you instead of every direction but you...

eh, dont read the books then. if they show something like this from blue teams perspective, linda will sniping 3 elites in one shot while upside down from the other side of the continent, kelly will be out running the entire fleet, and fred will have murdered every covie in his way using his knife. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

eh, dont read the books then. if they show something like this from blue teams perspective, linda will sniping 3 elites in one shot while upside down from the other side of the continent, kelly will be out running the entire fleet, and fred will have murdered every covie in his way using his knife.

Eh, I much prefer the older games' representation of Spartans to the books.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They jumped straight into a civil war what did you expect?

They do I believe they are called HeadHunters

Are you sure? Headhunters is the name of the spartan 3 team that operated independently of the rest, mostly being used for assassinations.

Really impressed by the musical score...Good trailer all around.

Agreed, very noticeable step up from H4.

Cinematic was awesome all around.

I slightly take back my previous comments, it's not the crazy acrobatics of the Spartans which bothers me.

The cutscene felt far too choreographed, it just looked incredibly fake. I wouldn't be that bothered if it was just a trailer, but the fact that it's the opening cutscene makes it so much worse.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I slightly take back my previous comments, it's not the crazy acrobatics of the Spartans which bothers me.

The cutscene felt far too choreographed, it just looked incredibly fake. I wouldn't be that bothered if it was just a trailer, but the fact that it's the opening cutscene makes it so much worse.

I watched it again and I sort of agree with you. I feel like doing it all in "one take" (I know there are no takes in CGI, but you know what I mean) took away from it a bit.

It was still cool, just could be a little better.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It was fucking incredible. 

Get over it scrubs. Team Osiris are the new kidz on the bloc. Don't expect traditional Halo antics when they're around.

Hold your whining till Blue Teams intro. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 10

can't tell if serious....

you do realize the whole point of a cutscene is that it's a scripted event right? and once again i think your confusing the og trilogies more 'grounded'(albeit misleading as they ignored the lore)feel with what a spartan is actually capable of.

It was fucking incredible. 

Get over it scrubs. Team Osiris are the new kidz on the bloc. Don't expect traditional Halo antics when they're around.

Hold your whining till Blue Teams intro. 

@@VinFTW taking his seat on the hype train  ;)

60244101.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 6

This kind if stuff will never hype me up. I don't care about the Halo story at all tbh. I just love the game's multiplayer. Is the hype something to do with lore? Like why did that make all of you hyped? I'm not saying it in a bad way I am just genuinely curious as to what makes that clip so interesting.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

can't tell if serious....

you do realize the whole point of a cutscene is that it's a scripted event right? and once again i think your confusing the og trilogies more 'grounded'(albeit misleading as they ignored the lore)feel with what a spartan is actually capable of.

You've misinterpreted what I meant.

The entire scene felt like it was choreographed rather than us watching an actual fight. It felt very fake.

Someone on HaloENT phrased it fairly well "Looked like a choreographed ballerina dance instead of a crazy battle.".

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The entire scene felt like it was choreographed rather than us watching an actual fight. It felt very fake.

Someone on HaloENT phrased it fairly well "Looked like a choreographed ballerina dance instead of a crazy battle.".

Hence my earlier post in total ignorance. It reminded me of a linear scripted set piece on par with, say, Tomb Raider. It looked damn impressive but the entire time I thought, "Cool, now when do I play?"

This kind if stuff will never hype me up. I don't care about the Halo story at all tbh. I just love the game's multiplayer. Is the hype something to do with lore? Like why did that make all of you hyped? I'm not saying it in a bad way I am just genuinely curious as to what makes that clip so interesting.

I am extremely hyped to play the campaign in H5. I love Halo Multplayer, but I originally bought H:CE because the story looked interesting and I have been hooked since. The one thing that all the games have in common (even H4) is an interesting storyline and Halo 5 looks like its going to continue the story into some very interesting waters. 

I found the cinematic awesome.....till they hit the ground then it just became stupid. Smashing through rocks? Dumb. Reminds me of that dumb river scene in the hobbit.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I'm finally seeing what Spartan-IVs are capable of, heck Spartans in general. It has always been covered incredibly well in the books but seeing it in-game or in a cutscene hasn't really been done before.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Action packed trailers have been the golden-goose for Halo marketing since the original trilogy. The cinematic designs are top-notch, even considering the issues people had with Halo 4.

Lack of chief can understandably feel awkward, it isn't like its the first time though. But I feel like something else is on the horizon, maybe we'll get a Blue Team trailer.

it's a complaint accociated with the Star Wars prequels as well, however, there, as well as here, depict highly trained characters able to take advantage of the moment and react in no time.

The reason it looks choreographed, is because the characters are that good at what they do, so I can deal with the "perfection" (by which I mean how the characters move and do stuff without failing) of everything going on, and it's obviously choreographed nature.

@@VinFTW taking his seat on the hype train  ;)

60244101.jpg

Haha, <3. Hey man, I'm not gonna jump the gun like most people here.

I think there is DEFINITELY a place for two "themes" in Halo 5. I mean, this has been their advertising campaign since the start.

Locke above, Chief below. Osirus loud and epic, chief solemn and dark. Osirus new, Blue team classic. Blue, red, even the poster reveal and boxart shows this.

Embrace your inner split-personality B O Y S. Gonna be one hell of a ride. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Let me preface this by saying that I really enjoyed the cinematic, finally seeing Spartans move and fight the way they've been described in the books was immense. There were a few things that I got really hung up on though.

Some animations were rough (Vale sprinting and a few of Buck's movements) , transferring from every movement they made displacing snow to seemingly running on a solid surface, Tanaka accelerating from a dead stop near the end was really stilted also. It's BLUR doing the cinematics again right? They've definitely done better in the past.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why is anyone surprised master chief isn't in it? I mean, this isn't really a halo game, so why would he be there

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 9

Music was fantastic, sky dive was fucking awesome, action scene whilst running down a mountain? Ehhhhhh.

Just looked like a scene from the Avengers to me, too over the top and completely lacking in substance. It looked fairly cool and was well put together but I'm underwhelmed.

But...

But...

But... Do you feel immersed yet?