CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

As much as I liked older Halo's maps, my only personal gripe with newer Halo's maps is the lighting, mainly due to a slightly embarrassing or awkward reason. Like, I look at Halo 2's Ascension, then Halo 2: Anniversary's Zenith. I like Ascension A LITTLE more, only because the lighting in Zenith literally makes me tired, while earlier Halo's (Like Ascension) looked to be early morning or so. The new maps all give off the vibe of the time in a day, where I grow sleepy due to the sun's positioning in the sky (Around 3:00 P.M for me). Especially on maps like Lockdown, or the aforementioned Zenith, and Empire. 

Other than that, I may be in the minority when I say I like the visual "clutter" in a sense. I get more of a sense of depth with it, than I do without it. In Halo: CE, maps are horribly simple, and sometimes (For example, there's more than just this) I can't judge a wall's distance if I have nothing in relation to it, due to the lack of detail. Halo 3 suffered from the same problem with me, especially in Forerunner maps, where most textures remained the same. With Halo 4, I had a VERY good grasp on map depth and my sightlines with it, because they're very "fleshed" out. Haven's a good example to me. The map is "simple" in comparison to Halo 4's other maps, such as say, Vortex, or even Solace, however, I have a good grasp on things like the map's depth, even against a wall, due to the detailing in it.

Unpopular Opinion: Not to mention, the added detail and clutter makes it seem like a MAP, and not like a staged battlefield to me, as ironic as it sounds. Like, take Solace's back caves on red spawn. I LOVE that place, because, despite the visual clutter, due to textures, it looks real. There's so much detail in the newer maps that I get enamored in, that it sometimes took me MONTHS to see all the additional details, due to gunfights that're constant and such. I like that about maps, and it isn't something that hampers me in combat either, as the colors used in them, aren't "vibrant" or "contrasting" to the point of annoyance or to where they confuse me, with say, blue teams on blue colors. They all meld well. Like, Haven's an INSANELY lovable color scheme, as it makes a good use of white, silvers and blues/greens. Solace is reds/oranges and then you have lime green for cover to act as a good contrast, with a slightly green/blue flow that gradually increases as you go downwards from blue spawn. Adrift is a general mix of reds, oranges, and browns. It all just feels good to me. 

My "other" complaint, and it really isn't a complaint, as much as it is a logical nitpick, which shouldn't be heavily taken into consideration, is the map's real purpose. As in, take Guardian. There is NO purpose to the map, other than to be a map, it wouldn't be a base, or a small station. It's an arena. Same goes for Haven, or many of Halo 4's maps (However, a lot of these design choices make sense, especially with 343i crowning all maps as a training simulator,as per the MCC). I don't know, I think I just like to have the sense of  "people, or the Covenant USED this at one point". Like, look at Midship, or Truth now. Those rooms would serve NO function in a ship, at all.  It's rather hard to explain, but it's a thing I get with all my games. I like my maps having a slight purpose to them, however, I won't complain or dock a game if there isn't, as there isn't meant to be any.

I dunno, I'm probably in a high minority, but past lighting, I really enjoy the newer maps a lot more. Take it easy on me. :P

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Pistol still seems just fine, not sure if im cool with those br hitmarkers though. VERY excessive.

The hit indicators are huge. Way too huge IMO.

H3's graphics where so 'clear' and colourful too, H5's graphics have over done lighting effects, everything looks kinda blurry to me, or just too dark.

That's the excessive post processing effects. They look bad to me because I prefer the crisp, clean cut Halo 1 and Halo 3 look. Halo 5 is all super ambient occlusion.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's the excessive post processing effects. They look bad to me because I prefer the crisp, clean cut Halo 1 and Halo 3 look. Halo 5 is all super ambient occlusion.

overuse of post processing and striving for realism are two things i really want to see a lot less of for gaming in general.

• Upvote (+1) 3

As much as I liked older Halo's maps, my only personal gripe with newer Halo's maps is the lighting, mainly due to a slightly embarrassing or awkward reason. Like, I look at Halo 2's Ascension, then Halo 2: Anniversary's Zenith. I like Ascension A LITTLE more, only because the lighting in Zenith literally makes me tired, while earlier Halo's (Like Ascension) looked to be early morning or so. The new maps all give off the vibe of the time in a day, where I grow sleepy due to the sun's positioning in the sky (Around 3:00 P.M for me). Especially on maps like Lockdown, or the aforementioned Zenith, and Empire. 

Other than that, I may be in the minority when I say I like the visual "clutter" in a sense. I get more of a sense of depth with it, than I do without it. In Halo: CE, maps are horribly simple, and sometimes (For example, there's more than just this) I can't judge a wall's distance if I have nothing in relation to it, due to the lack of detail. Halo 3 suffered from the same problem with me, especially in Forerunner maps, where most textures remained the same. With Halo 4, I had a VERY good grasp on map depth and my sightlines with it, because they're very "fleshed" out. Haven's a good example to me. The map is "simple" in comparison to Halo 4's other maps, such as say, Vortex, or even Solace, however, I have a good grasp on things like the map's depth, even against a wall, due to the detailing in it.

Unpopular Opinion: Not to mention, the added detail and clutter makes it seem like a MAP, and not like a staged battlefield to me, as ironic as it sounds. Like, take Solace's back caves on red spawn. I LOVE that place, because, despite the visual clutter, due to textures, it looks real. There's so much detail in the newer maps that I get enamored in, that it sometimes took me MONTHS to see all the additional details, due to gunfights that're constant and such. I like that about maps, and it isn't something that hampers me in combat either, as the colors used in them, aren't "vibrant" or "contrasting" to the point of annoyance or to where they confuse me, with say, blue teams on blue colors. They all meld well. Like, Haven's an INSANELY lovable color scheme, as it makes a good use of white, silvers and blues/greens. Solace is reds/oranges and then you have lime green for cover to act as a good contrast, with a slightly green/blue flow that gradually increases as you go downwards from blue spawn. Adrift is a general mix of reds, oranges, and browns. It all just feels good to me. 

My "other" complaint, and it really isn't a complaint, as much as it is a logical nitpick, which shouldn't be heavily taken into consideration, is the map's real purpose. As in, take Guardian. There is NO purpose to the map, other than to be a map, it wouldn't be a base, or a small station. It's an arena. Same goes for Haven, or many of Halo 4's maps (However, a lot of these design choices make sense, especially with 343i crowning all maps as a training simulator,as per the MCC). I don't know, I think I just like to have the sense of  "people, or the Covenant USED this at one point". Like, look at Midship, or Truth now. Those rooms would serve NO function in a ship, at all.  It's rather hard to explain, but it's a thing I get with all my games. I like my maps having a slight purpose to them, however, I won't complain or dock a game if there isn't, as there isn't meant to be any.

I dunno, I'm probably in a high minority, but past lighting, I really enjoy the newer maps a lot more. Take it easy on me. :P

#Immersion  :wutface::kappa:

A while back RoosterTeeth showed a few snippets of this Fathom Gameplay. We now have the full video up in better quality, with some additional footage from the B-Roll. Check it out

wow. This is worst than i imagine

Halo 5 is the smoothest looking game on planet right now, 60fps and clamber is delicious 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Halo 5 is the smoothest looking game on planet right now, 60fps and clamber is delicious 

Yep, after taking a break from lurking here, I come back and I still hate everything you say.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

My "other" complaint, and it really isn't a complaint, as much as it is a logical nitpick, which shouldn't be heavily taken into consideration, is the map's real purpose. As in, take Guardian. There is NO purpose to the map, other than to be a map, it wouldn't be a base, or a small station. It's an arena. Same goes for Haven, or many of Halo 4's maps (However, a lot of these design choices make sense, especially with 343i crowning all maps as a training simulator,as per the MCC). I don't know, I think I just like to have the sense of "people, or the Covenant USED this at one point". Like, look at Midship, or Truth now. Those rooms would serve NO function in a ship, at all. It's rather hard to explain, but it's a thing I get with all my games. I like my maps having a slight purpose to them, however, I won't complain or dock a game if there isn't, as there isn't meant to be any.

+1 I've never had an issue with clarity and this visual "clutter" just looks better to me.

Haven and Monolith are my favourite looking maps.

Also that Fathom gameplay is delicious.

This is surely a joke, right?

How the fuck is stopping, looking at a ledge and performing a stupid animation in any way smoother than jumping, crouching up a ledge in any direction without ever putting your gun away?

Clamber is fucking awful...

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yep, after taking a break from lurking here, I come back and I still hate everything you say.

That's like your issue man

This is surely a joke, right?

How the fuck is stopping, looking at a ledge and performing a stupid animation in any way smoother than jumping, crouching up a ledge in any direction without ever putting your gun away?

Clamber is fucking awful...

Honestly speaking it's all the same to me 

But then again I only watch competitive Halo but not play the game itself competitively 

Dota 2 and LoL already drain all my competitive gaming needs and Rising Thunder too if you know that game

1Y0f5lT.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1

I didn't see much pistol action in that Fathom gameplay video. For a weapon that's supposedly on par with HCE's pistol...I didn't see it.

I'm really tired of being a negative nancy because that's what I feel like when I try to discuss Halo 5. I want the game to be fun, but I also want it to be competitively-focused...not Halo 2 SMG start bs. Despite the alpha/beta not having the powerups on the maps, and/or all available weapons in the sandbox, the AR/BR start provided some of the most entertaining Halo I have played since probably the old days of MLG Halo 2 and HCE.

The AR/Pistol start was by far the worst starting set of H5 and I barely played two games because of how bad it was. I do not like spawning in Halo and being forced to have to go get a average weapon just to get kills. Power weapons diff story.

A while back RoosterTeeth showed a few snippets of this Fathom Gameplay. We now have the full video up in better quality, with some additional footage from the B-Roll. Check it out

One-layer OS for the fourth time in a row?

c6QYFVm.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

Any1 from 343 said why you have to press a button to activate power ups?

Same reason you did in Halo 4, so you don't pick it up accidentally when it could have been more beneficial to give it to another player.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Same reason you did in Halo 4, so you don't pick it up accidentally when it could have been more beneficial to give it to another player.

you can do that in other halo games as well....by not walking into the powerup. More hand holding I guess.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I like how the kill feed has the kills divided into red and blue teams. Easy to see if you're team is dying or killing at a glance.

Just to weigh in on the Visual side. H3 is my favourite. Nice and bright.I dont know how to explain it really, im bad with words, but I dont like Halo4/Halo5's Art Style . Plus my nades get stuck in just about everything in them games.....

0:30 shows best why Clamber is stupid. You cant do two actions at the same time: He is reloading but has to wait for it to finish before making the jump. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

0:30 shows best why Clamber is stupid. You cant do two actions at the same time: He is reloading but has to wait for it to finish before making the jump. 

I mean, I'm not denying that you should be able to reload while clambering but the guy playing could have jumped a lot quicker than he did. 

wjBWVRD.jpg

The gun was technically reloaded the second the spartan slammed the ammo in.

you can do that in other halo games as well....by not walking into the powerup. More hand holding I guess.

It's a two second button press bro, calm down. Its not gonna radically change the franchise.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ok now. I kinda liked the new maps in beta, but i have big issue with all those UNSC themed maps. Does 343 uses the same assets for all maps ? I dont mind the layous (too soon to judge that), but from artistic point of view, they look all the same. Every map should look distinct even if there is more maps in UNSC spaces. We have Empire and remake of Empire, Fathom and propably remake of Fathom and that is already 4 maps with very similar assets. They look like made of lego parts.

I mean look at COD or older Halo games. Every map has its own visual style.

Also, first post.

• Upvote (+1) 1