CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Battlefront has incredible graphics, animation and attention to detail. But it looks really boring. Not really sure why, but it does.

And I loved Battlefront 2.

Because the mode they've shown is so limited. The action is too focused. Battlefront 2 was a bit more open-ended in a sense.

I'm sorry, but seeing automatic weapons destroy people in 3 seconds with ADS and extreme auto aim makes me sick.

I feel like strafing/crouching/jumping just got a whole lot less important. Now it's whoever has the better gun equipped.

I dont think ads is used once to kill some one in the entire b roll, and extreme auto aim? Yeah no, I have no idea how you could gather that from watching a cqc fight with an auto.
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So Jeff is no longer an Autobot, fucking Hallelujah.

Still though all that Mission Impossible action was too fast to watch.

i laughed at this a lot harder than i should have!

• Upvote (+1) 1

They could have replaced clamber and thruster with a simple wall jump which would have been more skillful than both combined. Easily.

Wall jump to dodge and wall jump to get to higher spots. Crouch jumping could still play a roll in the wall jump. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

They could have replaced clamber and thruster with a simple wall jump which would have been more skillful than both combined. Easily.

Wall jump to dodge and wall jump to get to higher spots. Crouch jumping could still play a roll in the wall jump.

thrusting has a lot of potential if sprint is removed and the ability itself is more flexible. Wall jumping would have to be limited to like one or two at a time to not break map design, it could be much better than clamber though, because while clamber can at best be a non issue if designed right, wall kicking could actually benefit map design, combat, etc.

thrusting has a lot of potential if sprint is removed and the ability itself is more flexible. Wall jumping would have to be limited to like one or two at a time to not break map design, it could be much better than clamber though, because while clamber can at best be a non issue if designed right, wall kicking could actually benefit map design, combat, etc.

I still feel like thruster is generally a defensive move while wall jumping would be more offensive and you would be more likely be able to shoot while wall jumping. In the beta, at least, thruster was usually saved to use when you got in a jam and had to retreat. It annoyed me more than sprint. 

I still feel like thruster is generally a defensive move while wall jumping would be more offensive and you would be more likely be able to shoot while wall jumping. In the beta, at least, thruster was usually saved to use when you got in a jam and had to retreat. It annoyed me more than sprint. 

thruster is only defensive in H5 cuz ur gun is down when u thrust.

This....Right....Here

it's my biggest gripe with Halo 5's maps. It's way too much stuff going on with the maps themselves. One ledge has like 10 different pieces to it texture wise....for what? From what i've seen and played so far (beta), a lot of these maps look the same texture wise (minus regret). I'm not a fan. I havent seen a map that looks like i'm playing a Halo game yet.

It is improving. On a scale of 10 h4 being 1, what I have seen apart from Lego land h5 is more like 4+. H3 was 8 easy.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not a fan of AR/Pistol starts. Just because it worked in H1 doesnt mean it will work in H5. DMR starts like reach would be best imo. If the legendary pistol is actually the H1 pistol and we could make it the primary id be open to testing that out too though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I just don't get why sprint is a thing. Just really weird detrimental steps in the design process.

1. Sprint added so players from other FPS games find it more familiar movement-wise (Which is stupid, because Halo has been known for NOT having sprint and is already extremely popular, making this a detriment to the games identity.)

2. Players getting from A to B too quickly, so they make the maps bigger. This ruins maps as they are now flatter and bigger, preventing Halo's classic vertical combat and making BTB more popular but Arena-type maps terrible.

3. Now that the maps are larger, they need sprint in the game or the maps feel too large. Which was their fault for adding it in the first place.

4. Now with clamber, jumps are longer as you can sprint + jump + clamber and make it, making maps bigger, flatter and worse.

Just.... silly. All for "immersion". When I'm immersed in a SHOOTING game, the last thing I want to do it put my gun away and run in a linear fashion.

EDIT: After watching Fathom gameplay, the vertical of that map looks good. Please be good Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 5

If we're talking art style and artistic clarity/execution or whatever.. Halo 3 is a 10. The level design itself is a different story. But it doesn't get much better than Halo 3 artistically.

Literally every single map in the game had its own unique theme that made it very identifiable. One of my big gripes with destiny is how every moon map looks the same. Every mars map looks the same, etc. Compare assembly to heretic in Halo 3, both covenant maps but both are extremely unique. Compare the pit to Orbital, both are UNSC. No over done lighting. No needlessly busy textures. Incredible skyboxes and atmospheres to each map that made you want to actually explore them.

I could never get enough of H3s art style.

And then I see 6 UNSC maps in H5 that all use the same textures with swapped skyboxes. Why.

You got what I was saying. H3 map textures had enormous detail but never looked busy or noisy. The saturated the landscape with a unifying architecture but never saturated your senses with colors.

Reach maps were more busy with contrasting colors but they weren't busy.

H4 were extremely noisy with way too many textures and too many details that stood out everywhere very loudly. On top of that half the h4 maps were dark haze... Very depressing.

• Upvote (+1) 4

H2's art style is my fav by far.

I actually agree, the skyboxes were in my opinion the best aspect of the detail... In my opinion, of course.

That orange sky of Mombasa reminded us that a hero always has a path to follow. It was in a chaotic way beautiful. Not to mention the post-schism levels (Great Journey) had an amazingly dark but tranquil feel to them.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If we're talking art style and artistic clarity/execution or whatever.. Halo 3 is a 10. The level design itself is a different story. But it doesn't get much better than Halo 3 artistically.

Literally every single map in the game had its own unique theme that made it very identifiable. One of my big gripes with destiny is how every moon map looks the same. Every mars map looks the same, etc. Compare assembly to heretic in Halo 3, both covenant maps but both are extremely unique. Compare the pit to Orbital, both are UNSC. No over done lighting. No needlessly busy textures. Incredible skyboxes and atmospheres to each map that made you want to actually explore them.

I could never get enough of H3s art style.

And then I see 6 UNSC maps in H5 that all use the same textures with swapped skyboxes. Why.

Halo 3's art style still looks amazing now. I dont think I'll ever get tired of the way that game looks.

• Upvote (+1) 3

@@Sal1ent hooooly frag he doesn't sound like a Michael Bay voice filter anymore, thank you, Jeff has a golden voice and its much appreciated when kept simple!

The people on r/Halo love the new commentator voice - which means it will stay as is.

By the way, holy cow is that community brutal to visit, the comments, the opinions, I mean..... WOW!

I guess we know who 343 listens to, amirite?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think the reason why H3 art style was the best becuause it was just simple. Like H1, you have empty walls, fogs, no 500 different lights and design in one small space. H3 was very detailed but they kept it very simple. I think that's the biggest difference.

Edit: Like look at Pit, Construct, Narrows, guardians, miship, orbital, they were all very detailed but they were easy to look at. Pretty pleasant to look at actually. I still think H3 has the best graphics just becuause of how well done the art styles were.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The people on r/Halo love the new commentator voice - which means it will stay as is.

By the way, holy cow is that community brutal to visit, the comments, the opinions, I mean..... WOW!

I guess we know who 343 listens to, amirite?

Nah

I think the reason why H3 art style was the best becuause it was just simple. Like H1, you have empty walls, fogs, no 500 different lights and design in one small space. H3 was very detailed but they kept it very simple. I think that's the biggest difference.

Take sandtrap. From a distance the sand stone looked simple. Up close the metallic strips came alive with detail. It was always the right balance and the details were well colored to blend and match rather than contrast and clash.

Take valhala, guardian or epitath same thing with the buildings.

The pit and ghost town were notable exceptions that had contrasting colors that stood out. Blackout was just clean and simple for darkness.

High grounds was easy to look at. Every part was earth tone

• Upvote (+1) 5

H3's graphics where so 'clear' and colourful too, H5's graphics have over done lighting effects, everything looks kinda blurry to me, or just too dark.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Take sandtrap. From a distance the sand stone looked simple. Up close the metallic strips came alive with detail. It was always the right balance and the details were well colored to blend and match rather than contrast and clash.

Take valhala, guardian or epitath same thing with the buildings.

The pit and ghost town were notable exceptions that had contrasting colors that stood out. Blackout was just clean and simple for darkness.

High grounds was easy to look at.

Exactly! I never had a hard time seeing what I was seeing if you know what I mean.