CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

That waypoint thread stole a few of my chromosomes. I just... I don't understand.

Off topic, is the beyond mobile site being extremely obnoxious wit ads lately? Sometimes I press reply, start typing, and it redirects's to an ad page or the Google play store. I press back and try 7 or 8 more times before it finally stops redirecting me. Now it's starting to redirect me while I'm just scrolling, I almost don't even wanna be on the mobile site anymore because of it. And it only happens here

• Upvote (+1) 1

That waypoint thread stole a few of my chromosomes. I just... I don't understand.

Off topic, is the beyond mobile site being extremely obnoxious wit ads lately? Sometimes I press reply, start typing, and it redirects's to an ad page or the Google play store. I press back and try 7 or 8 more times before it finally stops redirecting me. Now it's starting to redirect me while I'm just scrolling, I almost don't even wanna be on the mobile site anymore because of it. And it only happens here

Yes this has been happening to me for weeks. It's quite irritating.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

had the same problem with my phone, ended up running a blocker

had the same problem with my phone, ended up running a blocker

If you have rooted phone, install adaway

Yup, we're aware of it. Talking to our ad guys about it.

You're misunderstanding. CE used concepts that WEREN'T popular yet in shooters, and made them all work together flawlessly. It was well designed with purpose.

Halo 4 and 5 have stolen concepts that are already popular just because they are popular, not because they work well or create a unique game.

I'm talking about how for example, something like thrust suddenly makes halo like another game, yet a two weapon limit doesn't make ce like counter strike, popularity has nothing to do with it, it's the same logic yet with ce people see the absurdity when comes to that, yet make the argument for halo 5, they just forget about other parts of the game, like gun play, maps, the format and other things like that.

Also, no ce was mostly comprised of known modern mechanics at that time, few were unpopular.

Hey guys, I never post but I'm always reading. I'm putting together a feedback post in a manner that hopefully gets points across and doesn't get lost in the useless crap on waypoint forums. I'm not a writer nor am I the best at putting ideas in words and could use some help especially on the topic of HCS. Just because a few 343 guys read these forums occasionally does not mean our concerns are being noted. In the past couple pages there have been a ton of things thrown around from grenades off spawn and inventory count to power weapon times/spawns and as of the last page or two static map spawns. Feedback is easier digested in a single local post instead of pages of posts varying from topic to topic. Any feedback towards my post, which I will toss up here as soon as I get the rest of some points down, would be great before I post it at the official forums, although I know the majority are not fond of that place. Some of the most notable things I've got down is the lack of Halo twitch channel use and HCS decision making in terms of gametypes, maps, and settings. There will be more to the post than just HCS, but being such a big part of Halo 5 I would like the best input before recklessly posting.

I wholeheartedly understand the point of spawn trapping.  My point was you could literally just have one person in snipe hut, even on the edge of P Street, and the other team will spawn in rocks like 90% of the time. That makes zero sense. The only time I ever spawn in the flag is at the beginning of the game. If there are two people Carb/Rocks side, you may get a bottom turret spawn. Spawning in the same place over and over again is not a punishment for dying. It's stupid. If it were like Halo CE where you can influence spawns then yes, it's your fault. But that's not the case here.

Halo 2 Classic spawns were a lot better because it took more than one person to influence a spawn. And that was my point. If you have static spawns, they need to be balanced properly. There's a variety of reasons why H2A games go the distance like that, but I won't go into that right now. Not trying to bitch about MCC today lol. I'm in a good mood.  :P

Most people don't have a good grasp on controlling spawns and how the modern weighting system works. Sure if enemies are around P street or hut, then it'll cause a negative weighting towards those spawns and give rocks a better chance, but if there's an immediate threat in rocks (grenade, incoming shots, someone aiming dead on a spawn point), then it'll spawn people somewhere else.

People getting spawn trapped can counter a bad spawn in rocks by having the last person alive throw grenades there before the first teammate respawns. As that one person is spawned somewhere else, the positive weighing of having a teammate in the vicinity of that other area (let's assume under turret) has a good chance of making the rest of the team spawn with them. 

Then again a lot of people aren't coordinated enough to do it either...

I have to disagree with @@Cursed Lemon on his "Halo has always had an identity crisis". I was thinking about it today and I think halo made it's own identity which is why it was so appealing. It wasn't a "Shooter arena hyrpid thing" it was just Halo and it was amazing. Halo 1 is an extremely good game and so was Halo 2 (though the change to have "primary" and weaker "secondary" weapons was a huge mistake IMO) but they played like Halo, felt like Halo and were really really unique at the time.

No we have an oversaturation of shooters with similar mechanics that use rewards to keep players interested instead of gameplay, and Halo has lost it's identity there.

It doesn't play the same, look the same and it certainly doesn't sound the same. I think "Halo" created it's own identity, but lost it. I never think it was confused until Reach and beyond.

Just my opinion, open to debate.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have to disagree with @CursedLemon on his "Halo has always had an identity crisis". I was thinking about it today and I think halo made it's own identity which is why it was so appealing. It wasn't a "Shooter arena hyrpid thing" it was just Halo and it was amazing. Halo 1 is an extremely good game and so was Halo 2 (though the change to have "primary" and weaker "secondary" weapons was a huge mistake IMO) but they played like Halo, felt like Halo and were really really unique at the time.

No we have an oversaturation of shooters with similar mechanics that use rewards to keep players interested instead of gameplay, and Halo has lost it's identity there.

It doesn't play the same, look the same and it certainly doesn't sound the same. I think "Halo" created it's own identity, but lost it. I never think it was confused until Reach and beyond.

halo was without a doubt, a hybrid of arena and military shooters at the time, having aspects such as equal starts, weapons on map and power ups like over shield and camo, while also possessing a two weapon limitation, slower movement, and reloading etc. With subsequent releases it drifted more towards being a military shooter, culminating with halo 4 reversing the ratio of arena/military completely, with the first 3 games it was like 70/30 or 80/20 arena/military, but with 4 it was pretty much the opposite.

Halo 5 back pedals a lot in this regard, many arena aspects were reintroduced, and other military aspects removed, or replaced with others, the ratio between arena and military is at 50/50 or 60/40 I think with halo 5, the game brings back a lot of what halo is, but certainly makes some mistakes along the way, it's obviously not a perfect halo game.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

which is why halo 5 will f.......nvm

Halo Championship Series

Where to begin here? HCS will be a staple of Halo 5. The new spectator and oracle mode will make the watchability of Halo 5 great for the LAN events but it should not stop there. Currently the halo twitch channel is used solely for those LAN events even though there are online cups virtually every weekend. Will the online cups be streamed and casted via the halo twitch channel for Halo 5? Will the halo channel host any pro players in an attempt to increase awareness for even just weeknight scrims between teams? With all the emphasis on esports regarding Halo 5 this should be a no brainer in terms of promotion and community building. HCS is and will be one of the biggest building platforms for the game and should be treated as such. Will we see any HCS patch notes? For the communitys sake I think we should see the thought process behind player settings, weapons, maps, and gametypes being considered and should be done so well before the first LAN or online cups. In H2A we had two maps and a gametype thrown at us just weeks before a LAN event with nothing but "please test". Reasoning for a map or gametype being considered will help our understanding and change the way we approach testing. Who develops the HCS settings at 343? Is it one person? Is it the pro team? How can the competitive community communicate with this person or people? We talk all the time about things that could change a map, or the flow of a gametype but how do we know if it was ever looked at or considered? Maybe it was already talked about internally and tested, but we dont know that. Will there be any form of overtime implemented into CTF and Neutral Bomb gametypes to work online as they do on LAN without needing to manually end the game?

I'm terrible at structuring ideas when I've got a bunch to write, hopefully this actually makes sense. Open to adding/removing/rewriting. I feel like these are some strong points to help get Halo 5 rolling from the start.

I have to disagree with @@Cursed Lemon on his "Halo has always had an identity crisis". I was thinking about it today and I think halo made it's own identity which is why it was so appealing. It wasn't a "Shooter arena hyrpid thing" it was just Halo and it was amazing. Halo 1 is an extremely good game and so was Halo 2 (though the change to have "primary" and weaker "secondary" weapons was a huge mistake IMO) but they played like Halo, felt like Halo and were really really unique at the time.

I think having a reward system in a game is a good thing for new players, especially for a skill based shooter like Halo. New players, who are still learning, will be less likely to leave a game if they are getting small rewards that encourage them to play one more match. Eventually the new players will no longer need the rewards because they are good at the game now, where K/D or Victories are the reward. Now gameplay is what will keep the players in the long run, and I think Halo 5 can stack up.

I think having a reward system in a game is a good thing for new players, especially for a skill based shooter like Halo. New players, who are still learning, will be less likely to leave a game if they are getting small rewards that encourage them to play one more match. Eventually the new players will no longer need the rewards because they are good at the game now, where K/D or Victories are the reward. Now gameplay is what will keep the players in the long run, and I think Halo 5 can stack up.

I, respectfully, disagree, and I use Halo 4's player retention as my basis on disagreeing. I can see your point of view perfectly, but Halo 4 was the only Halo game thus far that gave players hundreds of points and medals, and it had the worst player retention. It was dismal.

I, respectfully, disagree, and I use Halo 4's player retention as my basis on disagreeing. I can see your point of view perfectly, but Halo 4 was the only Halo game thus far that gave players hundreds of points and medals, and it had the worst player retention. It was dismal.

I don't think the points and medals were the reason Halo 4 sucked...

I don't think the points and medals were the reason Halo 4 sucked...

It's definitely not the reason is sucked, but it certainly didn't appeal to many long term fans and didn't help the situation.

It's definitely not the reason is sucked, but it certainly didn't appeal to many long term fans and didn't help the situation.

well we can't exactly isolate that as a negative. Many shooters flourish with systems that reward newer players. Using halo 4 as an example is kinda unfair. It's like saying that the BR was in Halo 4 and because Halo 4 was bad the BR is bad.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 4 had a terrible reward system(among other things) easy Xp and a short level system. Halo 5 at least has visible ranks and req packs.

well we can't exactly isolate that as a negative. Many shooters flourish with systems that reward newer players. Using halo 4 as an example is kinda unfair. It's like saying that the BR was in Halo 4 and because Halo 4 was bad the BR is bad.

I can agree with that. I found it really alienating but it was the least of Halo 4's worries for sure.

Halo 4 had a terrible reward system(among other things) easy Xp and a short level system. Halo 5 at least has visible ranks and req packs.

At least we know the Halo 5 progression isn't as fast as Halo 4's too. Felt good to take a while to rank up.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can agree with that. I found it really alienating but it was the least of Halo 4's worries for sure.

yea halo 4 was just a mess. I just call it 4
  • Upvote (+1) 3

If simulation is tied to frame rate that's 343's own fault for such a stupid game design flaw. Nearly every single PC game game in existence allows players to alter their refresh rate, there's no reason 343 couldn

I understand where you're coming from; playing Halo split-screen on a friend's console was how I was introduced to the franchise and some of my best Halo multiplayer memories are of playing split-screen. If, when creating Halo 5, 343i tied the simulation to the game's ability to maintain 60fps, then I'm not sure there's anything we can do to change that element of Halo 5. That is the reason, alongside the fact that as a fan of split-screen Halo I would rather have that capability in Halo 5 in some form than not at all, why I suggested that purely local 2-player Arena matches may be possible in split-screen, both in light of Josh Holmes' tweets in December last year indicating that at that stage 2-player split-screen for campaign and multiplayer were still planned and as I would imagine, of Halo 5's three modes: Campaign, Arena and Warzone, Arena would be the least taxing on the game's frame-rate when run in split-screen.

yea halo 4 was just a mess. I just call it 4

THE 4

We should make that a thing here, people visiting would look at us like destiny characters, being all vague and shit for no reason.

• Upvote (+1) 1