CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

This is a solid question and maybe we can start a discussion around this design.  Do you feel that the spawn times of those weapons should be swapped?  Sniper at 2min and Rocks at 3min?  

Looking forward to hearing back.  Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that you want a situation where snipers and rockets are up at the same time, at the midway point of the game. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Like others have said, Snipers should be on faster timers than rockets, but with 1 less clip. 

If you have Sniper at 1:30, and Rockets at 2 minutes, you'd still have the half-time scramble for both items. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

This is a solid question and maybe we can start a discussion around this design.  Do you feel that the spawn times of those weapons should be swapped?  Sniper at 2min and Rocks at 3min?  

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but 3 minutes for a power weapon is a bit long.

Most of us would agree on a 1 minute timer on sniper, maybe 90 seconds. Keep Rockets at 2 minutes, that is perfect

• Upvote (+1) 3

This is a solid question and maybe we can start a discussion around this design. Do you feel that the spawn times of those weapons should be swapped? Sniper at 2min and Rocks at 3min?

Looking forward to hearing back. Thanks.

i would rather have sniper spawn every 60 seconds and rockets every 2 minutes. Faster spanning power weapons encourages player movement, more combat encounters and less camping.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Based on the skill required for each, I'd agree on switching them around (so snipers on 2, rockets on 3), but it'd also be important to have an idea of what you're aiming to do with power-ups. While it's good to decide on these individual things, the different aspects of the sandbox and their importance make sense when looking at the whole picture, and not as much when just the sniper vs. rockets. 

For instance, there's no point in deciding that all snipers should be on 2 minute spawns if it turns out that we always have to decide between going for them or controlling OS or camo, because both are also on 2 minute spawns. It just gives the game a more chaotic flow, makes it hard for viewers to keep up with, and there's a bit of a sense of "everyone wins" because it could end up being impossible to control all the different items at once, so sometimes people end up getting things for free. 

So details on that would be great.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but 3 minutes for a power weapon is a bit long.

Most of us would agree on a 1 minute timer on sniper, maybe 90 seconds. Keep Rockets at 2 minutes, that is perfect

i would rather have sniper spawn every 60 seconds and rockets every 2 minutes. Faster spanning power weapons encourages player movement, more combat encounters and less camping.

Realistically though, I think 1:30 should be the shortest timer for Sniper... I know CE had 30 second snipers (and 1:00 for Chill Out), but it wasn't nearly as powerful because you had the magnum... the H5 magnum now takes more than twice as long to kill as the CE one. 

60-90 seconds for snipers? Keeping in mind that starting weapons in Halo 5 don't have a 0.6 TTK and also having tried the beta, what in the world makes you think it's a good idea?

60-90 seconds for snipers? Keeping in mind that starting weapons in Halo 5 don't have a 0.6 TTK and also having tried the beta, what in the world makes you think it's a good idea?

A sniper with one clip spare on 90 seconds is a hell of a lot better than 2 spare on 3 minutes. Also, buffed base speed, lower mag. Don't be a party pooper

• Upvote (+1) 2

Realistically though, I think 1:30 should be the shortest timer for Sniper... I know CE had 30 second snipers (and 1:00 for Chill Out), but it wasn't nearly as powerful because you had the magnum... the H5 magnum now takes more than twice as long to kill as the CE one. 

Its 30 on CO, even then Sniper should be on a minute 30, would make Dammy so much better

As of the beta the sniper contained 12 bullets. Reduce it to 8 bullets and have it at a 90 second timer. I don't see what's bad about that tbh

There in lies the problem....not the sniper

• Upvote (+1) 1

A sniper with one clip spare is a hell of a lot better than 2 spare on 3 minutes. Also, buffed base speed, lower mag. Don't be a party pooper

I don't disagree, but it's never been like this and you made no mention of a different ammo in that post. And I'll poop all I want because the last thing I want is an excess of power weapons which aren't even hard to use. I remember Halo 4 all too well.

And no matter how much the base speed is buffed, it won't change much to the fact that the sniper is still not that hard to use. The more difficult part in the beta was scoping in time. Shots still connected with significant ease. Watching recent Warzone stuff also confirmed this. Even Ali-A, who spent two entire BR clips in an attempt to outgun someone ended up getting a no scope two-for-one at some later point during the game.

e9fa0a037bf5f2aa04d26273a1572320.gif

EDIT: gif because it was over 5 mb

• Upvote (+1) 6

I don't disagree, but it's never been like this and you made no mention of a different ammo in that post. And I'll poop all I want because the last thing I want is an excess of power weapons which aren't even hard to use. I remember Halo 4 all too well.

And no matter how much the base speed is buffed, it won't change much to the fact that the sniper is still not that hard to use. The more difficult part in the beta was scoping in time. Shots still connected with significant ease. Watching recent Warzone stuff also confirmed this. Even Ali-A, who spent two entire BR clips in an attempt to outgun someone ended up getting a no scope two-for-one at some later point during the game.

Are you forgetting that the sniper rifle in Halo 5 doesn't have that fast of a fire rate compared to Halo 1 and Halo 2's sniper rifle? Also if Halo 5's sniper rifle is easy to use than it spawning with less ammo will help counteract that. Do you really enjoy playing stagnant games that have nothing going on in them because the power-ups and power weapons are taking too long to spawn? Think about it for a second.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wouldn't judge it yet, the kids he is playing against are mainly thumbless

90 second with 1 spare clip, lets make it happen

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@Deez it's hard to determine power weapon timers without knowing more about power ups. 

I'd have a power up spawning every thirty seconds, but in alternating order. 

My ideal weapon spawning cycle for a 12:00 TS game:

All weapons spawn immediately, as well as overshield. Sniper always spawns with only 8 bullets.

0:30 Active Camo spawns

1:00 Overshield comes up. 

1:30 Sniper And active Camo respawns. This way you have to make a choice about which will be better for attaining rockets - Sniper to bait rockets, Active Camo to allow some sneaky plays. 

2:00 Rockets come up. Very important and powerful, should be a big focus of battle. Overshield comes up as well, presents a counter to rockets. 

2:30 Active Camo 

3:00 Sniper up again, as well as overshield. 

3:30 Active Camo 

4:00 Rockets and overshield.

4:30 Sniper and Camo

5:00 Overshield 

5:30 Camo to prepare for big rush.

6:00 Rockets, Sniper & Overshield.

Cycle runs through again till time limit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

ITT: How to spot the people that pre-ordered Halo 5

:kappa:

Nope. Right now I don't think I'm buying it. I need to see a strong no sprint playlist or at least a strong no sprint customs scene. Good try though. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't recall there ever being any indications of nerfing the auto-aim/bullet magnetism for the sniper, so I'm assuming it's at the same level as the beta? If so, that's terrible even if the movement and strafe speed is increased. I assumed they made the sniper more difficult to use after removing the delay in scoping but judging by your gif that doesn't seem like the case at all. It doesn't complement the changes made to the BR spread or the supposed nerf of the AR.

@@Deez at this stage is posible  2 player split screen campaign? (cap in 30fps)

He's one of the lead multiplayer designer. You are barking up the wrong tree

• Upvote (+1) 1

And no matter how much the base speed is buffed, it won't change much to the fact that the sniper is still not that hard to use. The more difficult part in the beta was scoping in time. Shots still connected with significant ease. Watching recent Warzone stuff also confirmed. Even Ali-A, who spent two entire BR clips in an attempt to outgun someone ended up getting a no scope two-for-one at some later point during the game.

Yeah, I was wondering about how he hit that no scope when his BR was such garbage. 343 just likes giving players easy no scopes to make them feel good about themselves. Players get a special medal for no scopes in 343's games and Jeff even announces it. I mean they might as well play this whole damn video whenever players get no scopes.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Are you forgetting that the sniper rifle in Halo 5 doesn't have that fast of a fire rate compared to Halo 1 and Halo 2's sniper rifle? Also if Halo 5's sniper rifle is easy to use than it spawning with less ammo will help counteract that. Do you really enjoy playing stagnant games that have nothing going on in them because the power-ups and power weapons are taking too long to spawn? Think about it for a second.

I'm not forgetting, and I don't disagree. I brought up to him that I thought it was a bad idea when he mentioned spawning snipers on 60s to 90s timers without mentioning ammo, but if it's one spare clip, it could work.

However, do also keep in mind, that with the slower RoF and kill times of Halo 5 compared to CE, it's also a much more viable option to snipe someone once then switch to a precision weapon to finish them off as opposed to unloading a clip on someone (and burning ammo in the process) until the kill is achieved.

I wouldn't judge it yet, the kids he is playing against are mainly thumbless

90 second with 1 spare clip, lets make it happen

I don't think the opponent's skill is relevant to how bullets connect to faces. But I just don't think we should jump then gun and risk overloading maps with power weapon ammo.

Like I said, now that we're talking less spare ammo, it's a much more viable option. 90 seconds w/ 1 spare clips (or 8 shots) could work. I just think that 60 seconds is over the top unless you intend on spawning 4-bullet snipers (which I doubt people would sacrifice good positioning for).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does the esports side of Halo really have a chance at the moment? On top of the fact the game was one of the worst releases of last year:

• It's basically sustaining itself on players voluntarily streaming their scrims / cups. We have the willing talent who are gagging to get more involved in the scene but without a spec mode it's impossible to put on a quality presentation without a large commitment.
  • There is no solid presence during the week or during EU peak hours, essentially missing out on an entire continent of viewers outside of LAN tournaments.
  • Beyond is by far the best site in terms of keeping up with the competitive scene but the community does not have anything specifically geared towards quickly signposting viewers to streams (http://www.hltv.org/ http://www.teamliquid.net/)

Halo needs infrastructure and consistency to grow, something all of those games have had for years.

Halo pretty much lost all its infrastructure after Halo 3. The MLG Halo 3 days were where Halo was the biggest and we had investors and MLG backing us. Some people said we didnt need MLG but I disagree, It laid down a good foundation for money/investing like it or not. Also we could of had multiple Halo league playing not just MLG. Imagine rooting for amateur league teams that win and get promoted to MLG league tournaments.

Sadly Reach started dwindling in numbers, Halo 4 population dropped and Halo 4 was dropped from MLG just after one  tourney...

Things were so bad with the amateur leagues 343i had to step in with HCS. Granted things have improved with HCS but we need to pull in more people.

• Upvote (+1) 3

30 seconds max I say. That's crazy. There is almost no way you can cheat after that. Last time I used theater in H5 Guardians it was minutes behind. 

In a standoff, people can stay in the same position for more than 30 seconds easily.

Also whats the point of spectator mode that delayed. It's not spectator, that's a rebroadcast. 

So people cannot cheat with it? All my posts about spectator mode have been about this lol.

Power weapon times have been that long for about a decade, it's not really a surprise they would start with those values.

OT - I agree with the reduced sniper clip proposed, 90s spawn is probably doable with this change as well.

I don't like the idea of 2min Rockets in the modern game:

• 2min - 7 active spawns (8inc spawn)
  • 2.5min - 5 active spawns (6inc spawn)
  • 3min - 4 active spawns (5inc spawn)

Objective games will be decided the overall number of rocket grabs your team gets, with less of an option to attempt to mitigate the rockets power with range as a team strategy (not to mention the random crossover between tier2 / tier3 coming into effect). If I were a pro team a main priority would be holding down the rocket area throughout similar to Quake TDM with zonal control rather than how Halo currently plays. It works in Quake because the items essentially become objectives, I'm not sure how well it would work in a slower game like Halo.

2.5min spawn would be my preferred Rocket spawn with 90s Sniper / 1 clip - http://sketchtoy.com/65433259. You get the 'chaos' spawn in the middle of the game where teams must choose either / or but also you have x4 scenarios where one weapon plays off another (30s difference) which creates a similar dynamic but with much more creative strategical possibilities. 

• Upvote (+1) 3