CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Oh shit I'm still shaking dont know what to feel

halo love is real. 

love is the best and the worst.  In all it's forms.

• Upvote (+1) 1

btw...BR players say bye bye to it being a "utility rifle"....that ads/zoom barely does anything

The return of accurate single-shot utility weapon??? #SilverLining

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can't get over the ADS. Give us the zoom. I understand it's just looks, but it's just not right. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

The return of accurate single-shot utility weapon??? #SilverLining

It's still 2x zoom.

I can't get over the ADS. Give us the zoom. I understand it's just looks, but it's just not right. 

Well to be fair if it's really just looks it would easily be possible to change it back to regular zoom within the 10 months after beta. We just have to make sure that 343 gets our feedback and actually cares about it.

In a perfect world 343 would spin Halo off into two games. One game having classic Halo gameplay, and one having the COD hybrid nonsense.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If the ADS gets cod kiddies to try out halo and get good, i'm all for it

@envyus

ADS looked horrible but it's just a skin so not as much of a big deal as we thought. Descope back so yay. Main concern is sprint

EDIT: couple things I noticed in the og ADS vid other than ADS and sprint

Energy sword with 29% charge - this is 2/7 (28.57%). 7 uses for energy sword instead of 10 to account for sprint?

Based on the sprint reticle, looks like you can't shoot while sprinting. Cool

Medals on bottom of screen (headshot and killing spree shown)

Games to 50 kills again judging on score bar (first leak shows score of 38 at about four-fifths of the bar)

Radar looks downsized from h4 - take a look at the ending of the first leak, a guy stands right in front of the player

Visible health

Hud looks clean. No compass on top of health bar.

In a perfect world 343 would spin Halo off into two games. One game having classic Halo gameplay, and one having the COD hybrid nonsense.

In a perfect world 343 would make a good Halo game.

• Upvote (+1) 5

It satisfies both audiences. By doing this, it looks modern. All of the new, cool games have ADS. Aiming down the sight is simply better looking than just seeing a graphic on a zoomed in camera. At the same time, the mechanic at it's core doesn't change at all so this will also satisfy the hardcore crowd. This is a change that can satisfy everyone in the end.

I definitely get that. I guess we will have to wait and see more footage. It seems like it creates unnecessary clutter on the screen. I think there are ways to make a game appeal to a new crowd and keep up with the times other than changing something like the way you aim.  The reason ADS would appeal to a new crowd is the same reason we do not want it in the game. No we aren't hipsters, we just know that there are areas to be focused on other than the way you aim. 

Call of Duty had ADS while Halo was on top yet they didn't change it and look what has happened. If they think something like changing the way you aim down sites will somehow make their game better I think they are wrong. It shouldn't even be on the priority list. It gives off a vibe of them being desperate.

This is something that while not being too mechanically different...it will create a strange vibe that will not sit well with a lot of Halo fans. That "it doesn't feel like Halo" vibe.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Forgetting the ADS the BR's scope looks fucking wank, its a red dot with part of it missing..which literally looks shit...why does David Ellis have to change everything..

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I was noticing that this thread was a month old then exploded this morning to more than double its size. I cannot keep up with it all, but I want to share my thoughts very precisely.

I am not opposed to Halo evolving if it works to maintain lengthy engagements. For me that is what Halo is about.

I am not opposed to Sprint. I guess I just got used to it. I realize the impact it has on map size and map strategies and game play. But to me the people who are impacted the most are the upper 1% who take game tactics to the extreme. I realize most players don't (at least not most of their plays) and so it wouldn't matter to map design as much as it does to competitive players. (I am NOT trying to take away from competitive players, but just stating I realize they are the slim minority that actually play non sprint halo to their advantage. I certainly do not.)

I am opposed to flinch, because it was disorientating and nearly impossible in most cases to recover from if you were against a good sniper.

But none of this is what I really want to discuss here today. I am opposed to Halo 5 overall because, even if you could make the new gimmicks work for Halo, you still cannot make the game feel like Halo.

Halo doesn't use ladders, but rather man cannons, to enable you to aim at all times. Spiderman doesn't belong in halo because it is contrary to this principle. Spiderman is neither offensive nor (as in the case of sprint) defensive, but just a sitting duck waiting to be sniped. It is what mini games were made of, really. Spiderman moves are for Action Sack, not Team Slayer.

ADS clutters the screen to feel like other FPS shooters. Even if it is just a different skinning of scope, it feels more like CoD/FC/CS/OtherFPS than Halo. Halo had a magical feel about how clean the mechanics felt, how simple yet effective they worked, and how wide open your field of view was even below the reticle.

If these two features are in Halo 5 I won't be buying Halo 5, not because they don't work (I don't know, but I am sure you all will tell me when it comes out), but because it doesn't FEEL LIKE HALO.

When will 343 realize that they need to make Halo FEEL like Halo?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Forgetting the ADS the BR's scope looks fucking wank, its a red dot with part of it missing..which literally looks shit...why does David Ellis have to change everything..

>David Ellis

wat

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

New to Halo so don't shout but, what's the difference between ADS and just zooming?

• Upvote (+1) 1

New to Halo so don't shout but, what's the difference between ADS and just zooming?

You have literally joined this franchise at the worst time possible, but welcome!

Zooming blocked out your peripheral vision to give you a clear shot.

ADS gives you the peripheral vision, and is a pointless change even if it has descope.

• Upvote (+1) 2