CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I didn't listen to the audio, but I'm going to make the assumption that the BTB thing is just a miscommunication. It would make literally zero sense for BTB to not be in matchmaking on day one even though the player count is supported (and then some) and the maps and gametypes are included at launch.

For the final map count I'm thinking that Orion/Pegasus are included, and the two crossfire maps are included. That leaves five arena maps to be accounted for. Probably two more crossfire maps, a Fathom remix, and then some other competitive 4v4 map plus that remix.

It isn't miscommunication. It has been confirmed that Big Team Battle will not available day one.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Forge won't be supported for Warzone and Warzone isn't playable in custom games.

Do we know if we'll be able to play custom games on Warzone maps except in different game modes? Or are the Warzone maps locked to Warzone...?

I think most people just don't understand that with the amount of time they've put in Warzone, it's only fair to expect out of people to at least have the common sense to give it a shot instead of hating on it or going back to their comfort zone right away.

If I have to pick between BTB and Warzone, in 99% of cases, I'll pick BTB. But that's just because I don't see what's appealing about Warzone, nor do I understand its intricacies. And I won't know until I give it a shot. And by not having BTB there, if I want a similar experience, I'll pick Warzone instead.

It's common sense. Doesn't mean BTB is dead and buried by any means, it just means give it a shot. Now it'd be great if people could stop pretending to care so much about something they honestly wouldn't give a shit about in a normal situation.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I was assuming btb maps at launch for customs

Presumably. 

Do we know if we'll be able to play custom games on Warzone maps except in different game modes? Or are the Warzone maps locked to Warzone...?

No word on that. Hopefully @@Sal1ent can answer.

I really hope the progression ranking system is as visually appealing like the Halo 3 and Reach ranking system rather than the bland SR 130 from Halo 4. I really want military ranks back. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Presumably because as we've learned from the way playlists were/are handled in H4 and MCC that it's not that easy. If they can't do everything well in time for launch then I'd rather they delayed some playlists so that when they do go live they don't run into unforeseen technical hitches.

Besides, what would the point be in downloading a bunch of maps just a couple of weeks after launch purely for the sake of one playlist? That would sabotage the population. 

If they're free (which they are), then how does that sabotage the population? The Crimson DLC was released barely a month after Halo 4's launch, so don't act like there's no precedent for quick DLC.

If 343 has already decided this far out that BTB won't be a thing on day one, I think it's safe to say that they won't bother shipping any maps for it. If it was a last-minute scrap and this info was coming to light in August or September, then yeah, okay, the maps would be there but the playlist would wait.

@Sal1ent:

Thank you for the time to do the interview . . . and also thanks to Saucey for being able to get one like this.

Some good news and some bad news in there, and some things that - if you have time - I would appreciate an explanation:

1.  Doubles and snipers are traditional playlists with a very loyal base.  I'm not one for doubles (I tend to get REQd), but I love snipers.  As hard as I try, I cannot think of a reason why these two playlists would not be permanent and in place at launch.  I know that a H4-esque playlist buffet is bad for population counts, but including these two niche playlists will not destroy the population of the others.  Would you be able to explain why these would not be permanent playlists?  I would throw SWAT in there, too, but that could easily be included as a gametype in the sniper list.

2.  Along the same lines, a hardcore / tournament-style playlist has always been present.  Again, as it is a niche playlist, the population draw from the other main playlists is small, so the disadvantage associated with diluting the other populations is likewise small.  Please consider providing this playlist, and please strongly consider making it no-sprint.  While I understand the desire to keep the basic mechanics the same across the board, there is also little harm in providing a singular playlist in which one mechanic is disabled.  The slippery slope argument need not apply, as you guys control the playlists and can easily prevent the proliferation of alternate game mechanics in matchmaking.

One list.  Just one.  Slayer and objectives.  Please.  I truly and honestly believe that the goodwill you will earn by doing this will outweigh any possible disadvantage . . . and not by a small margin.

3.  Voting / veto / just play it:  Comment here; not a question.  Just play it is what I would prefer.  It ensures that every sub-gametype within a playlist gets some action for those players who really want to play a particular gametype.

I'll stop there.  Any other questions / comments from me are far less important than the three above.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I really hope the progression ranking system is as visually appealing like the Halo 3 and Reach ranking system rather than the bland SR 130 from   Halo 4. I really want military ranks back. 

As far as I know, it's Spartan Rank that we saw in the beta.

Presumably. 

No word on that. Hopefully @@Sal1ent can answer.

Hopefully, it would be a bit weird if they weren't.

Hopefully you can forge on them as well, obviously to play with different game modes.

Yeah, hopefully that is a place holder for the real progression ranking system.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Which is a bit of a shame, considering not too far before Halo 4's launch, it still used the military grading system.

8.png

Then again, not tying the endgame ranks to skill level would bother me a bit. There's just something that makes me uneasy about a potential 5 star general with a 0.4 K/D or something...

EDIT: For the most part, I just hope ranks don't have a hard cap.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Which is a bit of a shame, considering not too far before Halo 4's launch, it still used the military grading system.

8.png

Then again, not tying the endgame ranks to skill level would bother me a bit. There's just something that makes me uneasy about a potential 5 star general with a 0.4 K/D or something...

EDIT: For the most part, I just hope ranks don't have a hard cap.

Yeah, I remember seeing this and being hyped that they were mixing Reach's system with Halo 3's ranks. 

Hopefully it can change before launch.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think most people just don't understand that with the amount of time they've put in Warzone, it's only fair to expect out of people to at least have the common sense to give it a shot instead of hating on it or going back to their comfort zone right away.

If I have to pick between BTB and Warzone, in 99% of cases, I'll pick BTB. But that's just because I don't see what's appealing about Warzone, nor do I understand its intricacies. And I won't know until I give it a shot. And by not having BTB there, if I want a similar experience, I'll pick Warzone instead.

It's common sense. Doesn't mean BTB is dead and buried by any means, it just means give it a shot. Now it'd be great if people could stop pretending to care so much about something they honestly wouldn't give a shit about in a normal situation.

A voice of reason on the internet is like spotting a Unicorn in the wild!

*slow clap*

• Upvote (+1) 2

I know this is just me but reading that stuff about Jenga and Trash compactor made me nostalgic as hell and I really hope we have fun gametypes. 

Yeah arena gameplay is great and I love it, but having fun with a bunch of random people and a weekend with some random fun gametype is also Halo to me too.

Actually makes me curious if the forge will be better than MCC

"Vehicles will not make any use of the SmartLink system such as the chain gun on a Warthog or the plasma cannons on a Ghost."

What is the SmartLink system?

"Vehicles will not make any use of the SmartLink system such as the chain gun on a Warthog or the plasma cannons on a Ghost."

What is the SmartLink system?

Smart scope, basically vehicles won't be able to zoom.

• Upvote (+1) 2

While there were obvious mechanical problems with H3's ranking system, I think Halo 3 did it well as you could be the highest skill ranking but still need exp to achieve the maximum rank. And for players that wanted to progress in the ranks, not just adding an additional grade, they were forced to give Ranked a try. I don't want ranked play in H5 to be not popular as a result of no incentive to play. Though they've seemed to hint at more ranks than not--any follow up on this?

But if I had to guess the progression and skill based ranks will probably be completely seperate.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think Halo 3 did it well as you could be the highest skill ranking but still need exp to achieve the maximum rank. And for players that wanted to progress in the ranks, not just adding an additional grade, they were forced to give Ranked a try.

But if I had to guess the progression and skill based ranks will be completely seperate.

it was the only incentive for me to play ranked games.

I'm that shy guy who scared of trying anything new because I'm scared of getting my ass kicked, but that need to rank up far exceeds my fear of getting my ass handed to me.

and then I got good and started to actually liked the ranked playlist because of the challenge.

• Upvote (+1) 2

it was the only incentive for me to play ranked games.

I'm that shy guy who scared of trying anything new because I'm scared of getting my ass kicked, but that need to rank up far exceeds my fear of getting my ass handed to me.

and then I got good and started to actually liked the ranked playlist because of the challenge.

This was me in a nutshell. I too loved Halo 3 ranks because of this. 

In other news, RoyBorg approves of Warzone :)

I would chalk that up to honeymoon phase.

Warzone is something you have fun at. Like campaign, doesn't bring jack to competitive, but it's still fun to play. 

Tried it and it's not MLG enough for you?

Then stick with the section that you enjoy it. Don't need to rip apart what others like, for some it's the only joy they have in their lives to play social/custom/warzone type games..

• Upvote (+1) 2

EG are the ambassadors of the game. They play their cards right and they'll work for 343 as well in the future.

Way to go @@Saucey @@Moa and friends. That was a great read. Good questions as well. I had no idea the push for no-sprint was so real.

I'm sure all the best choices will be made... At least eventually. They've learned a lot from ther older games so hopefully they can rectify any issues in a prompt nature.

343 playlist and gametype management need a lot of work, combined with the flawed voting system makes matchmaking a subpar experience.

They always want to force the new additions, in Halo 4 the Infinity playlist o something like that and in MCC at first the only ranked was H2A.

Why not have a lot of option avaiable at LAUNCH, if the new modes are good people will play them.

I am sick of every Halo waiting several months for a good set of playlists, that always happen to include (Doubles, Snipers, Swat, Competitive, Multi-team, etc).

Having this playlists at launch will help retain players long term, because they offer an unique experience that is not available in any other game. If they are implemented after months then those players are gone.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm wondering how long the powerup animation is going to last and how vulnerable you'll be during it.

Same. That doesn't sound like a good change, in my view. The thrill of stealing camo from the other team and running for your life until you're invisible and safe is a really rewarding experience (I'm thinking especially of Guardian here), and extra time to pick it up might make that impossible.

I actually like the idea of being vulnerable when grabbing a power-up. It means you'd have to earn it by out-slaying the opposition before grabbing the power-up instead of just racing them for it. I wonder, if you are vulnerable to attack when going through the animation, will it burn the power-up if you're killed mid-pick-up, or will it only be used up by going through the entire animation?  :holmes:

• Upvote (+1) 2