CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

If we can make skins, this is the first thing I'm making for the AR

Wheelchair.png

Damnit, accidentally negged you. I think that would be pretty hilarious tbh. 

Don't worry, I pos repped him for you.

Thanks I appreciate it

Don't worry, I pos repped him for you.

Yeah, Halo 2 is closer to what people would expect out of an arena shooter, but it doesn't and never will have Forge, Theater, Spectator Mode, customization, 12v12, has a trash sandbox and is lacking a lot of other features I could keep listing. Its meta is also 10 years old and stagnant. Where do we go from here?

Cant answer that for everyone, but its clear Halo 5 is not looking like a quality Halo game/Arena shooter whatever you call it. I made the switch to Toxxik/UT4 pre-alpha and am not looking back.

You can find a pic of CS 1.6 that looks like CSGO, you can find a pic of UT 99' that looks like UT4, and you can find a pic of CoD 4 that looks like modern CoD games,but you cant do the same for Halo(unless your using CoD/Titan-fall pics) which is a clear indication of where the series is headed.

• Upvote (+1) 3

@

REKT

not entirely, you only get to choose the weapon you spawn with after you've bought it AFTER you've unlocked it by progressing through the match. I'll give you that it's choosing spawn weapons, but it's a different system than what everyone was referring to when they were talking about loadouts.

It would be hilarious if the community wasn't so bitter about things.

There are quite a few examples from CSGO where the Halo community would actually implode, Fnatic deceptively keeping hidden what is widely considered the most brokenly overpowered boost seen in competitive play for a Major tournament, so bad at the time that even having won the match they forfeited the replay out of community pressure - now we have this sign ("no boosting") after the map being fixed. CSGO has had pro players caught hacking, players caught match fixing and yet there isn't the same vitriol.

The unfortunate thing is the Halo community never reaches a point where as a whole we can look back and just laugh at stupid shit. That's what most of it is... just stupid shit; a wheelchair on a powerpoint, some obscure reference with the context stripped away, a half hearted promise forever recycled and thrown back in someones face.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It would be hilarious if the community wasn't so bitter about things.

There are quite a few examples from CSGO where the Halo community would actually implode, Fnatic deceptively keeping hidden what is widely considered the most brokenly overpowered boost seen in competitive play for a Major tournament, so bad at the time that even having won the match they forfeited the replay out of community pressure - now we have this sign ("no boosting") after the map being fixed. CSGO has had pro players caught hacking, players caught match fixing and yet there isn't the same vitriol.

The unfortunate thing is the Halo community never reaches a point where as a whole we can look back and just laugh at stupid shit. That's what most of it is... just stupid shit; a wheelchair on a powerpoint, some obscure reference with the context stripped away, a half hearted promise forever recycled and thrown back in someones face.

Ever though the boost was overpowered, when overpass came out they ran around it trying to find any advantage they could, it's exactly the same thing SQ did in the Reach opener trapping someone in the lift on Countdown. Was it cheap? Sure a little, but they found the advantage and they kept it quiet as I'm sure a lot of people would.

Also as far as I'm aware no top players have taken part in hacking or fixing matches, they were lower skilled teams over the absolute best. The same for Halo online, you'd never see any pros modding or host booting etc.

anyone know when and where the Q&A starts?

Didn't know there was going to be a q/a, link if someone could please?

Cant answer that for everyone, but its clear Halo 5 is not looking like a quality Halo game/Arena shooter whatever you call it. I made the switch to Toxxik/UT4 pre-alpha and am not looking back.

b-but 343 used "competitive arena" in their promotions...

• Upvote (+1) 2

Also as far as I'm aware no top players have taken part in hacking or fixing matches, they were lower skilled teams over the absolute best. The same for Halo online, you'd never see any pros modding or host booting etc.

Fnatic

Didn't know there was going to be a q/a, link if someone could please?

I heard it was sometime today by a few people but never got a time or place.

Ever though the boost was overpowered, when overpass came out they ran around it trying to find any advantage they could, it's exactly the same thing SQ did in the Reach opener trapping someone in the lift on Countdown. Was it cheap? Sure a little, but they found the advantage and they kept it quiet as I'm sure a lot of people would.

1. They actually found out about the boost from someone who posted it to Youtube a month or two before, messaged them and asked them to remove the video.
  2. KQLY from Titan, and SF (both in top8 teams at the time) were VAC banned for hacking.
  3. 4 players from iBuyPower the #1 American team at the time were banned for match fixing.

EDIT; the point is that even though all this shit has gone on, there isn't the same lingering feelings of bitterness. Doing a 'KQLY' is a casting term, spamming the ever living shit out of VAC in the twitch chat after amazing plays came to prominence, multiple references in-game to these various tribulations.

You can find a pic of CS 1.6 that looks like CSGO, you can find a pic of UT 99' that looks like UT4, and you can find a pic of CoD 4 that looks like modern CoD games,but you cant do the same for Halo(unless your using CoD/Titan-fall pics) which is a clear indication of where the series is headed.

I'd be really interested to see a COD 2 game that looks like BOPS3, care to find me one?

Doesn't matter what the game looks like compared to how it plays. SSB Brawl looks closer to Melee than SSB4 does and Brawl is still a pile of shit compared to both. You have to be unwilling to be unable to look past how stuff like Smart Scope looks compared to how it behaves in relation to classic scope vs. ADS.

And I'm not sure if it's truthful to say you aren't looking back when you spend a fair amount of time telling people how much you think the game won't deliver.

• Upvote (+1) 3

they should be faster, the beta had kill times down perfectly. Are you compensating for the lack of 60 fops when calculating these btw? Conclusions based off of what we're seeing in 30 fps could be wrong.

Hence the margin of errors. I'm dividing by 30, 9/30 for ROF, then multiplying by # of shots to kill. Used the same method in the beta, with 30 FPS, and got faster kill times. The margin of error accounts for the range that 1 frame at 60 FPS could add in or subtract when viewed at 30 fps. e.g.: 17/60 - 19/60 for something viewed as 9/30. 

It's ok guys

Just get on the doom train before it leaves the station

• Upvote (+1) 4

The boost was ruled illegal due to texture transparency(dreamhack allowed the pixel walking).

And I'm not sure if it's truthful to say you aren't looking back when you spend a fair amount of time telling people how much you think the game won't deliver.

Getting burned 3 games in a row can do weird things to a persons mind. I'm sure you played into the "wait till you play it", "Pros says its the best game ever", "this time we get it", "Arena Gameplay", "Ranks", "coming soon" PR speak. Halo can't afford another flop, and people are just skeptical.   

• Upvote (+1) 1

Getting burned 3 games in a row can do weird things to a persons mind. I'm sure you played into the "wait till you play it", "Pros says its the best game ever", "this time we get it", "Arena Gameplay", "Ranks", "coming soon" PR speak. Halo can't afford another flop, and people are just skeptical.

honestly I liked reach, it wasn't great but I got enjoyment out of it. Halo 4 mp was a much different story.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1. They actually found out about the boost from someone who posted it to Youtube a month or two before, messaged them and asked them to remove the video.
  2. KQLY from Titan, and SF (both in top8 teams at the time) were VAC banned for hacking.
  3. 4 players from iBuyPower the #1 American team at the time were banned for match fixing.

EDIT; the point is that even though all this shit has gone on, there isn't the same lingering feelings of bitterness. Doing a 'KQLY' is a casting term, spamming the ever living shit out of VAC in the twitch chat after amazing plays came to prominence, multiple references in-game to these various tribulations.

I've never heard 1 before, wonder why nothing was ever done about it and they got to play again?

OT - I think it's fine they're not launching with classic BTB

I've never heard 1 before, wonder why nothing was ever done about it and they got to play again?

Tournament rules don't cover moral judgments, they cover game specific violations. Technically the boost was legal from the standpoint of pixel walking, it did however have a texture glitch, albeit a fairly useless one. The boost by LDLC also had a similar texture glitch (showing how useless that advantage was) - hence the game was decided to be replayed.

It's ok guys

Just get on the doom train before it leaves the station

Were you actually impressed with doom?

Why would we need to wait to play it when we already have? 

OT - I think it's fine they're not launching with classic BTB

Tournament rules don't cover moral judgments, they cover game specific violations. Technically the boost was legal from the standpoint of pixel walking, it did however have a texture glitch, albeit a fairly useless one, the boost by LDLC also had a similar texture glitch (showing how useless that advantage was) - hence the game was decided to be replayed.

Were you actually impressed with doom?

doom looked cool, but the gameplay they showed was controlled by someone who was more concerned with showing off than playing the game.