CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Did anyone else find the E3 campaign demo for Halo 5 slightly underwhelming? There were a number of things that a demo for Halo 5's campaign would have to do: show us that the campaign looks great and then showcase the new features: namely squad commands, spartan abilities and enemies, all in an exhilarating fashion. They delivered on demonstrating the game's visuals which were top-notch, did a decent job with squad commands, and the regretful grunt was a nice comedic touch.

However, the Spartan Abilities weren't shown in an exciting manner. We got an extended sprint sequence with the occasional clamber and thrust as the environment fell away, which looked rather boring. When we finally reached combat, the situation didn't improve drastically; while we saw clamber used to gain high ground and the ground pound for a stylish kill, other abilities weren't as prominent in combat and novel, interesting applications were similarly absent. 

Moreover, we got our first gameplay look at a new enemy in the Promethean Soldier, which I was quite excited to see after hearing of it through Greenskull's early access to the campaign, yet we saw each one in the footage for at most a few seconds as they were quickly dispatched by Locke's shotgun. This meant that we don't have a sense of how they play, and what makes them an interesting addition to the Promethean enemy class. 

On the whole it made for a rather forgettable demo, and my two biggest concerns for Halo 5's campaign remain: whether the squad mechanics will make the campaign too easy when playing solo and whether the enemy AI will be a challenge to play against as it was in Halo CE, and not like Halo 4's not-so-difficult enemies.

Also, it would be good to get some confirmation about whether 2-player split-screen multiplayer is in the game @@Sal1ent.

Dude, you have got to be one of the most annoying people on this site. Absolutely no one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to purchase this game. If you wholeheartedly despise everything that 343 is doing (which it really seems like you do) then just don't buy H5. It is what it is, we're not gonna change the fundamentals of the game at this point. I understand being cynical with everything that happened with H4 and the MCC but at some point if it bothers you that much then you just have to move on. The constant sarcasm and elitist attitude you have towards anyone not jumping on your "burn 343 to the ground" train is getting tiresome and repetitive. I'm sorry for laying into you, but take a step back and ask yourself, "If I hate this stuff this much then why am I buying this game?"

HA. You don't read anything I post, do you?

I'm very much looking forward to the arena section of this game. I've said since last year that it has a ton of potential. Go find a post that says otherwise, I'll wait right here. Or better yet, admit that you're making shit up and then go jump in the lake.

I'm ripping into 343 right now because not including forge with warzone is a mistake, making req unlocks game-changing in warzone and purely aesthetic in arena is a mistake and will confuse people who aren't regulars on Halo message boards and don't already know what's going on, and 343 spins everything and shouldn't be relied upon for objective info. That's like, a fact. Frank O'Connor himself was a PR-guy long before he was a powerful guy at 343. Aside from that, all my rancor in this thread right now is directed towards other posters who are being [bad word that Moa will ban me for]s.

Stick to downvoting.

• Downvote (-1) 10

Question & Answer Highlights

• No Forge mode for Warzone (already knew this)
  • Forge is fully supported for Arena modes
  • No comment on Hornets, Pelicans and Broadswords being usable in Warzone
  • Player vs Player vs AI - no playing as Covenant/Prometheans
  • Warzone isn't a one life gamemode (dumb question)
  • Cosmetic items from requisition packs include assassination animations, weapon skins, armour parts and armour skins.

Alright then I'm totally fine with the gameplay changers staying in Warzone. I can't wait to see what cool animations we'll get. They should have made independent end-of-match-animations unlockable too. So much potential for lulz

Req packs bring longevity to the game imo. You'll be able to purchase them no doubt. People will play until they get that assassination they want.

I'm ripping into 343 right now because not including forge with warzone is a mistake, making req unlocks game-changing in warzone and purely aesthetic in arena is a mistake and will confuse people who aren't regulars on Halo message boards and don't already know what's going on, and 343 spins everything and shouldn't be relied upon for objective info. That's like, a fact. Frank O'Connor himself was a PR-guy long before he was a powerful guy at 343.

TL;DR you're a dumbass

The reason why Warzone isn't forge-able is probably the same reason why Firefight and Spartan Ops weren't.

Besides that, don't be a dick.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Aside from that, all my rancor in this thread right now is directed towards other posters who are being [bad word that Moa will ban me for]s.

Stick to downvoting.

VYz2M.gif

• Upvote (+1) 3

Still waiting for a counter to my other post.

Oh wait, you don't have one? That's too bad. I guess that's why you slapped the bitch button and ran away.

Yeah, I bet you were just devastated when ODST came out and Firefight didn't have Forge, right?

No, what this is really about is you looking for an excuse to be salty.

Forgeable AI is a tall order and no one would even use the other aspects you listed.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not sure if anyone has posted about this yet, but it looks like you can change locations in a warthog without having to hop out/hope back on.

https://youtu.be/F6Xz2Ggn5tU?list=WL&t=513

He hops into the gunner seat of an enemy hog, then swaps into the passenger seat, melees the driver, and then switches to the driver seat.

Apparently you just hit the jump button to switch around or something... interesting.

• Upvote (+1) 3

HA. You don't read anything I post, do you?

I'm very much looking forward to the arena section of this game. I've said since last year that it has a ton of potential. Go find a post that says otherwise, I'll wait right here. Or better yet, admit that you're making shit up and then go jump in the lake.

I'm ripping into 343 right now because not including forge with warzone is a mistake, making req unlocks game-changing in warzone and purely aesthetic in arena is a mistake and will confuse people who aren't regulars on Halo message boards and don't already know what's going on, and 343 spins everything and shouldn't be relied upon for objective info. That's like, a fact. Frank O'Connor himself was a PR-guy long before he was a powerful guy at 343. Aside from that, all my rancor in this thread right now is directed towards other posters who are being [bad word that Moa will ban me for]s.

Stick to downvoting.

I'm on here every single day and your posts contain bitching more often than not. All I'm saying is if you don't want to play Warzone then don't. Is that so hard to grasp? 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Did anyone else find the E3 campaign demo for Halo 5 slightly underwhelming? There were a number of things that a demo for Halo 5's campaign would have to do: show us that the campaign looks great and then showcase the new features: namely squad commands, spartan abilities and enemies, all in an exhilarating fashion. They delivered on demonstrating the game's visuals which were top-notch, did a decent job with squad commands, and the regretful grunt was a nice comedic touch.

However, the Spartan Abilities weren't shown in an exciting manner. We got an extended sprint sequence with the occasional clamber and thrust as the environment fell away, which looked rather boring. When we finally reached combat, the situation didn't improve drastically; while we saw clamber used to gain high ground and the ground pound for a stylish kill, other abilities weren't as prominent in combat and novel, interesting applications were similarly absent. 

Moreover, we got our first gameplay look at a new enemy in the Promethean Soldier, which I was quite excited to see after hearing of it through Greenskull's early access to the campaign, yet we saw each one in the footage for at most a few seconds as they were quickly dispatched by Locke's shotgun. This meant that we don't have a sense of how they play, and what makes them an interesting addition to the Promethean enemy class. 

On the whole it made for a rather forgettable demo, and my two biggest concerns for Halo 5's campaign remain: whether the squad mechanics will make the campaign too easy when playing solo and whether the enemy AI will be a challenge to play against as it was in Halo CE, and not like Halo 4's not-so-difficult enemies.

Also, it would be good to get some confirmation about whether 2-player split-screen multiplayer is in the game @@Sal1ent.

Yeah I actually found the conference demo a bit weird.. It was like Halo wasn't that big of a deal. You think they'd even have Bonnie or Josh actually stay up there and talk about new abilities, the changes they made from the beta, new enemies, etc. But instead they kind of just said, "hey here's uhh here's Halo 5. Bye". It was definitely one of - if not the most - underwhelming Halo appearances at E3.

Not sure if anyone has posted about this yet, but it looks like you can change locations in a warthog without having to hop out/hope back on.

He hops into the gunner seat of an enemy hog, then swaps into the passenger seat, melees the driver, and then switches to the driver seat.

YOOOOOOOOOOOOO

THAT'S SICK.

• Upvote (+1) 2

YOOOOOOOOOOOOO

THAT'S SICK.

Could you imagine if we could play musical chairs while in a hog?  Everyone hits the button at the same time and does a mid-air Chinese fire-drill.

100% agree. Said something to that effect after the show yesterday. There was a lot happening on the screen, but not much in the way of combat. A bunch of running around, some squad commands, those interactive cut scenes (or whatever they're called) like in Halo 4 when you climbing the wall, dodging the rocks, and fight off the elite. When they did show combat it didn't feel "epic" or "thrilling". It felt generic and pretty weak. That had me very concerned. It was like they were trying to make an interactive movie more then a game. I sure hope that isn't the case. Gameplay needs to be THE MOST IMPORTANT THING.

Apparently you just hit the jump button to switch around or something... interesting.

Holy sshhiiiitt he did too. It seems like such a small thing but that hasn't been in ANY Halo ever. Remember all those times where you accidentally went into the passenger and shit

Yeah, I bet you were just devastated when ODST came out and Firefight didn't have Forge, right?

No, what this is really about is you looking for an excuse to be salty.

Forgeable AI is a tall order and no one would even use the other aspects you listed.

Allowing the users to alter the AI of NPCs? Yeah, that's a tall order. Just moving their spawns around and changing their numbers/composition? Not nearly as hard. Should be no different than forging any other object.

Yeah, I'm truly devastated that Halo 3's clunky, bare-bones forge didn't make an appearance in firefight. DEVASTATED.

• Downvote (-1) 4

btw hitting somebody a a vehicle with Ground Pound totally makes them fly like 30 feet

Allowing the users to alter the AI of NPCs? Yeah, that's a tall order. Just moving their spawns around and changing their numbers/composition? Not nearly as hard. Should be no different than forging any other object.

Yeah, I'm truly devastated that Halo 3's clunky, bare-bones forge didn't make an appearance in firefight. DEVASTATED.

We have no idea how Halo 5's AI works.

Warzone probably has scripts built into the map to give the AI orders beyond cover searching and player fighting.

I doubt it's as simple as placing spawn points and having it work like magic.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not being able to forge warzone is really dumb. That's typical of 343 though - you can play the game only as the developers intended it, and the customs community can get bent. Options? Nah bro, trust us!

Honestly that was more Bungie then anything. "If you BXR you're a cheater"

And as disappointed as i am that its not forgeable and customizable. It's still a huge technological feat. I just hope the 24 player count carries over to customs, Josh pls.