CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

As an avid UT player I am curious as to what mechanics do you see that resemble UT?

ADS, military shooter sprint, clamber, just the whole visual and pacing of the game seem more like a modern shooter to me than anything identifiable with the Arena shooter genre. If you put any one of those mechanics in UT the fan-base would crucify you, that is why the mantling feature was abruptly removed in UT4 pre-alpha.

Static timers on everything was mostly the reason I said it, which is why I said distant cousins.

but there's vast amounts of guns in H5, some have been announced, others not. UT I always felt had a really good idea on how guns worked/played which made it enjoyable. 

You can't really compare core mechanics, or how each game feels, but there's definitely some influences on H5, but that could just be Arena shooter comparisons if you'd like to say it that way.

*It's just hard for me to compare H5 to Quake*

Read up for ADS opinion, sprint sucks I'll always agree there, at least they're trying to make it somewhat reasonable.

Clamber I was super against at first, but as I learned the ground pound/clamber jump tricks I started to enjoy it. 

and the pacing/visuals I didn't really feel anything comparing to a "modern" shooter, but that's all opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 2

They were already in Truth, if you jumped off P3 landed on the street and thrustered down on the right angle you'd fly into the base, and when I say fly, you legit flew into the base lmao

and if Ground Pound gets taken off the crouch button you'll see even more I'd bet.

That's great. And they recently confirmed that ground pound is now on melee rather than crouch (can't remember the source, but I definitely read it).

I'm actually very excited to see how Halo 5 plays at a high level. I have a feeling it will be much more entertaining and impressive than a lot of people are expecting.

How in the holy hell is sprint the only similarity you see between H5 and COD (AW)?  Did you not see the comparison video made back at the beta release, pretty much showing all the similarities?  

Ground pound and thruster etc. are far closer to Halo features than CoD. Especially considering Thruster has been in Halo since 2012.

Calling H5 and CoD similar because of Ground pound and thruster is really only looking at it at an extremely superficial level. Their impacts on the gameplay is massively different.

As an avid UT player I am curious as to what mechanics do you see that resemble UT?

ADS, military shooter sprint, clamber, just the whole visual and pacing of the game seem more like a modern shooter to me than anything identifiable with the Arena shooter genre. If you put any one of those mechanics in UT the fan-base would crucify you, that is why the mantling feature was abruptly removed in UT4 pre-alpha.

I think the most I can a free on is that halo 5 isn't technically an arena shooter, though has arena shooter elements. Though halo CE wasn't really an arena shooter either, possessed more elements from that genre than halo 5 does.

Anybody know what that Forerunner aircraft is called?

Fator or Fanton or something

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know I contributed a little, but can we not have this debate again, not trying to be a mod I just don't really feel like reading it anymore.

I think the most I can a free on is that halo 5 isn't technically an arena shooter, though has arena shooter elements. Though halo CE wasn't really an arena shooter either, possessed more elements from that genre than halo 5 does.

Its just the very basic layer of CE is a slowed down console type of Quake/UT. Halo has more or less kept that base layer but its hidden underneath all the weirder things these days.

Its just the very basic layer of CE is a slowed down console type of Quake/UT. Halo has more or less kept that base layer but its hidden underneath all the weirder things these days.

even then that influence was under a bunch of stuff, such as two weapon limits reloading, health and weapons.

I love how it's 2015 and I can't watch Xbox Daily on my XB1 because Microsoft's online service is buckling under traffic. What the hell.

Maybe if they would put as much effort into making their shit more stable as they did into that fucking hololens thing.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 5

I'm uneasy about ground pound being on the melee button. I understand that it's a logical extension of the melee, even more so mid-air, but the melee button has like 3 different actions associated to it (charge if sprinting, ground pound if jumping, normal melee otherwise)... I just feel like normal melees will be a bit handicapped to being usable in specific scenarios. 

I always felt like jump melees were an important component to out-meleeing people, or sometimes I'll want to run up to someone, melee them, but not get animation lag for doing it (spartan charge). I'm sure I'll adjust at some point by coming to a full stop before meleeing someone, but I just wish, once again, we had custom controls or toggles for stuff like spartan charge, similar to zoom hovering.

Shoutcasting tweets was pretty great, haha. Kudos

btw... What. The. Fuck

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would agree, there are the first generation Arena FPS like Doom,Quake 3, Tribes, and UT 99'. Then spin-offs like TFC, Halo CE, modern Tribes, or at least that is how I see it. Halo might of evolved more from the Marathon/Half-life type of gameplay but that doesn't mean its not more of an Arena FPS than a modern shooter. To me UT3 on Halo maps looks closer to Halo than Halo 5 does.

Shoutcasting tweets was pretty great, haha. Kudos

btw... What. The. Fuck

Looks really good.

I would agree, there are the first generation Arena FPS like Doom,Quake 3, Tribes, and UT 99'. Then spin-offs like TFC, Halo CE, modern Tribes, or at least that is how I see it. Halo might of evolved more from the Marathon/Half-life type of gameplay but that doesn't mean its not more of an Arena FPS than a modern shooter. To me UT3 on Halo maps looks closer to Halo than Halo 5 does.

I agree that Halo 5 is very far away from Halo 1-3, but 343 obviously wants to reinvent the wheel a bit, which would be acceptable if Halo 4 was good and they did it right, but they didn't.

Halo 5 might be the game that is what 343 wants to create, the game that the majority fanbase seriously enjoys, and it also might be a great competitive game.

I could play Halo 2 clones the rest of my life, don't get me wrong, but if a game is actually good I enjoy it.

Halo 4 was awful, 343 completely failed on that game.

Halo 5 has potential, every part of me wanted to hate the game, but I couldn't. I don't know why. I just seriously enjoyed it. First time since Halo 2 that I've seriously enjoyed a Halo game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't understand why some people say Warzone is not needed and 343 should focus solely on arena gameplay.  I mean saying something like that is like saying"Lol CS GO shouldn't have Arms Race or TDM because derp thats casual shit and not competitive lol gg."  I mean casual game types also helps casuals get into competitive gaming.  This Warzone game type will attract a lot of casual players from titanfall, cod, and battlefield.  AND THAT IS A GOOD THING.  These players will give the game a shot and if they end up liking it they will play more and more and more.  Eventually some of them will start to enjoy the game of Halo and they will want something more competitive and they will start giving arena multiplayer a shot. Now if Halo 5's entire multiplayer was based around Warzone then we would be having a problem *cough* Halo 4 *cough*.  Warzone is just another way to play Halo while still maintaining the arena multiplayer.

This is exactly how I got into CS GO.  I have never played Counter Strike in my life before and i just bought the game on steam to play with my friends because they said it was a fun game.  We played a lot of TDM and Arms Race and other casual shiz for a long time.  Then one day I looked at the competitive tab in matchmaking and I thought "You know what? I enjoy this game and for some reason I have never given the Competitive tab a shot".  So I played it and I got hooked on CS GO.  I have been playing it ever since and I am now ranked Master Guardian II and I am gonna go play it when I done posting this.

Bottom line is Warzone is a great addition and it can only help out Halo 5.

Sorry for any grammar or misspelling.  I'm tired i just wanted to get this off my chest real quick. k bye.

• Upvote (+1) 2