CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Except it was already confirmed "pretty much all" weapons in Halo 5 including the assault rifle, have ADS.

So the AR will work like the silenced SMG. I'd rather have that than H3/H2 AR/SMG starts. And since it doesn't affect the BR (as Infinity, Faeyrin and I have pointed out) it won't affect any of those other weapons.

Aesthetic.

you're only gonna make it worst on yourself after the reveal...guy on neogaf confirmed almost all weapons have ads

• Upvote (+1) 2

you won't even get "de-scoped" when your'e in an ADS battle so yes it is very different.

Holy shit, this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

ADS slows down your movement (removing the option to strafe and most of the time to jump). Arena shooters are good because of the equal starts, small maps, but the movement is no negligible factor. Quite the opposite in Halo's case. Not to mention it brings flinch back...

It's safe to assume the hip fire accuracy isn't the same seeing how little ADS increased actual zoom.

To me, the movement appeared to not slow down. If that's not the case, then I'll eat my words.

Zoom looked like 2x to me. BR scope zoom was never very much to begin with.

THE ZOOMING IN FUNCTION THAT YOU PEOPLE THINK IS SO DIFFERENT HAS LITERALLY ALWAYS BEEN ADS WITHOUT SEEING THE GUN YOU'RE AIMING WITH WHEN YOU'RE ZOOMED IN.

THE ADS THAT HAS BEEN SHOWN IN THE LEAKED GIF IS LITERALLY THE SAME ZOOM IN FUNCTION WE'VE ALWAYS HAD EXCEPT YOU SEE YOUR GUN NOW WHEN YOU ZOOM IN, INSTEAD OF IT MAGICALLY DISAPPEARING OFF THE SCREEN,

THE HIP FIRE ACCURACY IS THE SAME.

picgifs-abandon-thread-fuck-this-shit-30

I'm out. I'd take Waypoint over you guys right now. I'll be back when you're not eating your shit.

In older Halo games, the guns didn't "magically disappear off the screen". There was something called a smart-link system, which is what allowed the spartans to see things the way they did before.

Also, it doesn't have to change gameplay to annoy people. Even if it's purely visual, it's still chipping away at one of the only things left which made Halo unique - one of the only iconic parts of Halo that we could still hold on to. Halo loses its identity every time 343 decides to throw in something just to appease modern CoD kids.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Just because a reticle looks a certain way or it looks like there is no slowdown in movement or any other gameplay change in this crappy short clip means nothing IMO. There is an ADS animation. My parents taught me that "if it looks like a duck..."

We will see as things unfold between now and the game release. But you can mark my words now, there will be ADS mechanics.

you're only gonna make it worst on yourself after the reveal...guy on neogaf confirmed almost all weapons have ads

If it doesn't affect the BR, it won't affect any of those either.

If the AR has ADS, then it'll most likely act like a silenced SMG, which I'm OK with, assuming it's not way over-the-top. Same goes for the SMG itself. Again, if the spray weapons don't work exactly like scoped versions of their earlier selves, then I'll eat my words.

ADS slows down your movement (removing the option to strafe and most of the time to jump). Arena shooters are good because of the equal starts, small maps, but the movement is no negligible factor. Quite the opposite in Halo's case. Not to mention it brings flinch back...

It's safe to assume the hip fire accuracy isn't the same seeing how little ADS increased actual zoom.

EDIT: The only way 343 could make this work is by making it so not using ADS doesn't make your weapon less accurate, or make it so you retain all your movement options while using ADS.

9sAw0o4.png

9sAw0o4.png

9sAw0o4.png

9sAw0o4.png

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 4

In older Halo games, the guns didn't "magically disappear off the screen". There was something called a smart-link system, which is what allowed the spartans to see things the way they did before.

Also, it doesn't have to change gameplay to annoy people. Even if it's purely visual, it's still chipping away at one of the only things left which made Halo unique - one of the only iconic parts of Halo that we could still hold on to. Halo loses its identity every time 343 decides to throw in something just to appease modern CoD kids.

Exactly. There were explanations for how the suits and aiming worked. There is no reason they need to "aim down sight". That alone makes it stupid IMO.

Either way, I'm out. Going to watch the Twitch Stream and do real work. Have fun with ADS and Sprint.  :salt:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Guys.

Halo has always had ADS, it just never showed the gun while doing it. The gun literally disappeared and you magically zoomed in. Pistol? BR? Sniper? Rockets? Carbine? DMR? Hello?

This is LITERALLY a different aesthetic, a re-skin of the exact same functionality. You're not even going to need to ADS/Scope in to be accurate.

9sAw0o4.png

You see that? That's a very small and compact BR reticle. Looks smaller than H2's.

I was leaning towards that conclusion as well. Can't wait for tomorrow's reveal.

It doesn't matter anyway.  There's several other massive problems beyond this.  It really doesn't matter if it's actually an ADS change with new mechanics or just an aesthetic at all.

Gonna be honest. If Halo 5 ends up not being good the only game I'll be looking forward to after MCC is Kingdom Hearts 3

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just because a reticle looks a certain way or it looks like there is no slowdown in movement or any other gameplay change in this crappy short clip means nothing IMO. There is an ADS animation. My parents taught me that "if it looks like a duck..."

We will see as things unfold between now and the game release. But you can mark my words now, there will be ADS mechanics.

Fair enough. To be honest, though, I would have done the same thing if I was on the dev team. I'm pretty sure I predicted that they would change the animation, actually. If they announced it in their own time, without a leak, then the outrage would have been much lessened.

People think we're competing with CSGO or Quake or actual self-respecting shooters here. We aren't. Halo is a console game, and it has to appeal to casuals. The average consumer will not care for classic FPS gameplay (or in this case, classic FPS aesthetics).

If it is ANYTHING more than just an animation change, then I'll change my opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Looks like I'll be owning my Xbox One for about 18 months. I'll get my fill of MCC, and once population for that plummets because it's no longer the latest game to be released, I'll unload the XB1 somewhere, eat the $200 in lost cash, and wash my hands of 343's dipshittery forever.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

343 is about to waste ton of developer support on the competitive community because no one in there right mind is going to play this game competitively. WTF have they done with Halo. I'm 23 now.... I guess it's time to move on.

Maybe the hires were really just marketing after all.

Where are they on all this stuff?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Gonna be honest. If Halo 5 ends up not being good the only game I'll be looking forward to after MCC is Kingdom Hearts 3

I am so stoked for kingdom hearts <3.

Also fallout 4. Still let's hope H5 is good.

I understand that you're upset, but you don't need to spam post the same image 4 times in a row nor use caps to get your point across... it's like you're more upset about people being upset, than people are upset about the mechanic changes.

Anyways, I do hope you are right. It would be the best of both worlds, and a good in between for people making the transition from CoD to Halo, but other than that, there's no reason to change the game mechanics on such a significant scale. I don't think anyone has held back from getting Halo because it didn't have ADS, whereas putting ADS in to use the scope feature upsets most of the current fanbase.

Time will tell.