CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

That people jump all over again on the hype train and it worked like 343 wanted.  Also i need to express my hate for 343.

Im pretty stoked as I have close friends who have played the recent build basically recited what Greenskull said apart from the Flag Juggling.

Your rant was more random than HeH's spawns

I have to say releasing information like this is incredibly annoying and dumb. We now have new pictures from GI by RUL by Microsoft from 343i for Fathom. Like what? On top of that we have (possible) information going out that could be potentially messed up or have to be clarified by 343i later on.

Just release news information in a blog post or video at once instead of us going around in somewhat of easter egg hunt to get information like this.

This is why leaks and stuff like that happens, instead of forming a good blog post/video  with details(that wont ruin the E3 experience), dont make us chase/hunt little bits of information to then try and put them together, it's very annoying.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh, this?

2495366-halo+xbox+one+reveal+03.jpg

It's called a Guardian (hence the title Halo 5: Guardians). It's a Forerunner bird thing which is causing anomalies in deep space and there's more than one.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, yeah, that's the Didact. I thought we were looking at a different image.

So those are the scumbags who killed many people with the explosive cans in The Pit ?  :kappa:  

Edit : Not sure why double post, I'm dumb.

• Upvote (+1) 4

That people jump all over again on the hype train and it worked like 343 wanted.  Also i need to express my hate for 343.

You have to admit that everything we have heared so far sounds good, besides the split screen issues. People are just happy about the changes after the beta. 

Could they change more? Of course - take sprint out for example, but we all know thats not gonna happen. 

I also do not like the way Halo is going and MCC was a failure but no one is denying that I think. 

Am I hyped about the campaig? Yes - not about the MP though. But I still like the changes being made after the beta feedback.

Is it just me, or do most of the maps in Halo 5 look really similar? 

Visually, yes. 343 is using the exact same palette for Eden, Empire, and now Fathom, and it's identical to the one they used for nearly all of the UNSC-themed maps in Halo 4. Bungie definitely did a better job of mixing it up with their maps.

Layout-wise, I think it's too early to say. We've seen a bunch of screenshots for Fathom, but I have yet to get a feel for how they all fit together.

This is why leaks and stuff like that happens, instead of forming a good blog post/video  with details(that wont ruin the E3 experience), dont make us chase/hunt little bits of information to then try and put them together, it's very annoying.

Yea, it's kinda annoying to cover like this.

THE GUARDIANS ARE SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS-SIZED ENEMIES? SIGN ME UP.

Few things I love more than playing a human-sized character against titanic enemies. I dream of them being dynamic, like Bioshock's big daddies, that are like random boss fights in sandbox levels. Regular boss fights would work too, as long as they're done in an interesting fashion. Either way, I can't wait to see a fight against one in action. Just, please, don't make it "shoot this big glowing weak spot to win." That's probably the best way to make the encounters forgettable and boring.  

The campaign hype is shredding me right now. The amount of possible variation in gameplay sounds staggering in the best way possible.

...please don't let me down, 343.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Im pretty stoked as I have close friends who have played the recent build basically recited what Greenskull said apart from the Flag Juggling.

Your rant was more random than HeH's spawns

Did they have anything to say about Smart Scope beyond the changes we know about (to the DMR and Sniper Rifle)?

So those are the scumbags who killed many people with the explosive cans in The Pit ?  :kappa:  

No, they're the scumbags who drop stalactites on my head in Waterworks.

THE GUARDIANS ARE SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS-SIZED ENEMIES? SIGN ME UP.

Few things I love more than playing a human-sized character against titanic enemies. I dream of them being dynamic, like Bioshock's big daddies, that are like random boss fights in sandbox levels. Regular boss fights would work too, as long as they're done in an interesting fashion. Either way, I can't wait to see a fight against one in action. Just, please, don't make it "shoot this big glowing weak spot to win." That's probably the best way to make the encounters forgettable and boring.  

The campaign hype is shredding me right now.

A battle with multiple stages and possible approaches, like Halo 3's Scarabs, would be excellent.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So those are the scumbags who killed many people with the explosive cans in The Pit ? :kappa:

Edit : Not sure why double post, I'm dumb.

I know you're joking but like, what if tho?

Did they have anything to say about Smart Scope beyond the changes we know about (to the DMR and Sniper Rifle)?

Its instantanious like scoping in always has been

• Upvote (+1) 3

A battle with multiple stages and possible approaches, like Halo 3's Scarabs, would be excellent.

Like a level where the entire stage is you trying to get the pursuing Guardian to a state where you can fight it. The whole level sees you doing things to slow it down, disable its weapons, or whatever necessary to keep it from killing you as you to lure it to an environment that you can flank it, maybe getting in a valley between two cliffs. Jump off the cliffs onto its back and hop inside. Entire section on the inside, like a scarab but far expanded, then at the end you hop out, turn around, and watch as the colossal creature crumbles to the ground in a heap or orange-and-silver plating.

The creative possibilities are endless.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its instantanious like scoping in always has been

Thanks! My primary concern is the visibility of the scope design; we know they have improved visibility on the DMR, but if the Magnum is going to be a starting weapon, then its ranged capability would need to be at least somewhat better than the beta, and the design of its Smart Scope really held it back in that regard.

Fears assuaged thus far:

1. Pistol is good.

2. Base movement speed is up (so a better no-sprint experience, right?).

3. Flag can be juggled.

4. Scoping looks much better.

Fears left:

1. Launch day woes.

2. Map layouts might be crap.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Fears assuaged thus far:

1. Pistol is good.

2. Base movement speed is up (so a better no-sprint experience, right?).

3. Flag can be juggled.

4. Scoping looks much better.

Fears left:

1. Launch day woes.

2. Map layouts might be crap.

I'm not worried about the launch that much. Atleast server wise. I see no way in hell Microsoft doesn't put a lot of resources to the launch. They don't want MCC 2.0

Like a level where the entire stage is you trying to get the pursuing Guardian to a state where you can fight it. The whole level sees you doing things to slow it down, disable its weapons, or whatever necessary to keep it from killing you as you to lure it to an environment that you can flank it, maybe getting in a valley between two cliffs. Jump off the cliffs onto its back and hop inside. Entire section on the inside, like a scarab but far expanded, then at the end you hop out, turn around, and watch as the colossal creature crumbles to the ground in a heap or orange-and-silver plating.

The creative possibilities are endless.

Definitely.

One of the challenges in designing a shooter is making interesting enemies when the player's interaction with them is mostly shooting, with grenades and melee thrown in. Boss design often suffers as a result, and you can see that in the bullet sponges they call bosses in Destiny. If 343 can make the Guardians a problem for the player to solve using the tools they have available, like the Scarab fight where you first had to damage the Scarab's legs, then board it, clear out the enemies on it, then find and destroy its core and get off before it explodes, or when you get the the glorious 'Two Scarabs! fight,' you could use the Hornet to shoot off the back of the Scarab where the core is located and attack it directly, then 343 are on to a solid enemy in the form of Guardians.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Since they want AR/Magnum to be the loadout having the Flagnum seems to me as though it won't have much of an impact at all (unless they follow H4's precedent and make it do a different amount of damage).

I don't know, it doesn't seem significant to me - if anything it might help make up for the fact that aggressors can chase a bit faster with Sprint (flag carrier can keep moving and shooting at the same time and doesn't have to drop the flag and risk some guy just sprinting and charging at it for a cheesy sacrifical touch return). Whereas knowing that the flag can be dropped crosses one more huge concern off my list as it should reopen the stealth vs speed and flag passing aspects of the CTF metagame.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know you're joking but like, what if tho?

I now possess the power of Gjallarhorn, destroyer of everything. I can end that Guardians light very easy with it.

:kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2

The Flagnum isn't much of an issue now since we can now drop the flag. You have a choice of running the flag faster (and giving away for position) or going slow, having a weapon capable of killing at range and walking slower.

Like others are saying though, it all depends on how they handle the damage output of it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Has the flag waypoint been confirmed to be removed when holding the flag then?

celugyi.png

• Upvote (+1) 6