CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Uh we are talking about money here....  That's cool for the 137K viewers but it was only like a 10K prize pool tourney for Smash.

What's the obsession with money here anyway?  Smash has absolutely no developer support and they do everything themselves with a game literally as old as CE.  

Where's the 10k payout 137K viewer Halo CE tournaments?  Smash was in a worse position than Halo ever was just years ago.

The whole point is that Halo can do the same damn thing but we were all raised on a system where one governing body did everything for us and we relied on sponsor prize money for everything.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Pls?

As I thought, nobody has given a single reason as to why this is bad, disregarding aesthetics.

Retrospect question to the community: 90% of us here are Halo purists who have played through all the games and have a deep seeded appreciation for the "Halo" style of gameplay. If Halo 5 was tailored to the roots of Halo instead of incorporating modernized aspects, do you think it will sell well to the community OUTSIDE of lifetime Halo fans?

Yes.  People may have their gripes about H2A but it really is the classic Halo 4v4 formula seen in Halo 2 and 3.  They could have made an entire game out of it and it would do far better things than what Halo 5 appears to be.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Retrospect question to the community: 90% of us here are Halo purists who have played through all the games and have a deep seeded appreciation for the "Halo" style of gameplay. If Halo 5 was tailored to the roots of Halo instead of incorporating modernized aspects, do you think it will sell well to the community OUTSIDE of lifetime Halo fans?

Yes.

1. Halo 2 and Halo 3 were huge games without those gimmicks. Actually the more they "changed" the worse it sold.
  2. There has been a movement in the FPS gaming scene calling for change. To stop the same CoD gamestyle. To go back to Arena Shooters. In the PC space you see this coming with Unreal Tournament, Silverstreak (Cliffy B), Toxikk, and more.
  3. Nobody that wants CoD is going to buy Halo instead for the same type of experience. If they buy Halo they will be doing so for a DIFFERENT experience. I don't buy Apples andddd more Apples, I throw some bananas, oranges, and other shit in there. Diversity is the spice of life.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

#givehalotovalve

CS:GO.

Mother fucking CS:GO.

And we get Halo 4 and Halo 5.

My god...

Here's my take on it...

1. They still gave us everything we wanted. We have ranks, we have dedicated servers, we have 60fps, we have classic Halo playable online, all in a nice, neat, updated for 2014 package.

2. They're not going to switch to classic Halo. We have our classic experience now, and they even populated it for us. Halo will now be this new experience, for the new blood, not the old blood. Whether or not CoD fans, who've invested plenty of time into CoD will even leave that game (or any other shooter) is up for debate. Considering how happy they are with just a double jump being added to their core gameplay tho, u'd think they'll be happy playing CoD another 5 years so who knows. 

3. Halo sells mostly due to the amazing campaign. I don't get why they change the multiplayer when they only people buying for the multiplayer these days is the old school Halo fans who don't want the updated stuff. You'd think they would just go hard as hell with campaign and stick some vintage MP on the side for the people who actually still care. If this whole plan works tho i'll eat my words. (altho I said from the start H5 will be a balanced version of H4...not of this came as a shock to me)

4. I'll give it a fair shake. I used to DJ. Regardless of how much I liked vinyl, or how much better it was than digital in many ways, you have to move with the world as it evolves. I'll have my old Halo experience again, and I love 343 for giving me that. I'm gonna try to be more open to all this new crap I disagree with in Halo because now if I don't like it, get sick of it, or just need a break from it, i'll have my H1/H2/H3 experience, and it'll be even better than before from a technical standpoint.

5. This is probably smart from 343s standpoint. If you don't like Halo 5 you'll go buy and play MCC. If you like Halo 5 you'll buy and play Halo 5. If people develop a tournament scene for classic Halo on top of sanctioned HCS tournaments, it'll all promote itself and help drive the Halo brand more. 

Had more points but I forgot the rest. BTW as I type this i'm watching someone play Quake with 300 viewers. Probably more than all of old school Halo combined. MCC however has more viewers. Again, they brought our old experience to the new generation somewhat, and made it kinda relevant again. They did kinda sorta give us what we wanted, but not exactly lol. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Hey, guys?

What if this 'ADS' is actually just a different aesthetic for scoping in, and it functions the same way scoping in has in past Halos?

Just a thought.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

#givehalotovalve

My god...

Note that CSGO wasn't the best at launch either

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Just woke up to Bonnie Ross's tweet. Looked at the mentions, saw that ADS and sprint were seen in the leak (which I have yet to see). I am sick to my stomach.

This is the straw that breaks the camel's back. I've been very lenient when it comes to them tinkering with stuff in MCC, but not this time. I can't believe that one of ny favorite video games is conforming and trying to be like everyone else instead of sticking to the mechanics we all fell in love with.

I am hoping and praying that they hear our feedback before, during, and after the beta, and change this stuff up, but I really don't see it happening.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

#givehalotovalve

My god...

CS:GO was horrible at launch. Dev support saved that series tbh

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yes.

1. Halo 2 and Halo 3 were huge games without those gimmicks. Actually the more they "changed" the worse it sold.
  2. There has been a movement in the FPS gaming scene calling for change. To stop the same CoD gamestyle. To go back to Arena Shooters. In the PC space you see this coming with Unreal Tournament, Silverstreak (Cliffy B), Toxikk, and more.
  3. Nobody that wants CoD is going to buy Halo instead for the same type of experience. If they buy Halo they will be doing so for a DIFFERENT experience. I don't buy Apples andddd more Apples, I throw some bananas, oranges, and other shit in there. Diversity is the spice of life.

Thanks for the feedback sir, you make excellent points.

This is how they're balancing the BR and the DMR you idiots. 

Why even have the dmr? 

Why even have the br?

Just give us a pistol again.  

or remove the dmr and keep it the way it should be. 

As I thought, nobody has given a single reason as to why this is bad, disregarding aesthetics.

I can't even figure out which part of the post is yours because the multi-quotes doesn't say. However, if you arguing that iron sights doesn't matter then go back a page and read my post. To summarize it is the 26th Century and Halo lore has already explained why iron sights didn't exist. Beyond that I really don't care "if it works" because it "doesn't make sense".

Hey, guys?

What if this 'ADS' is actually just a different aesthetic for scoping in, and it functions the same way scoping in has in past Halos?

Just a thought.

Honestly it's the least of my concerns with so many other things in the game being immediately terrible.

Here's my take on it...

1. They still gave us everything we wanted. We have ranks, we have dedicated servers, we have 60fps, we have classic Halo playable online, all in a nice, neat, updated for 2014 package.

2. They're not going to switch to classic Halo. We have our classic experience now, and they even populated it for us. Halo will now be this new experience, for the new blood, not the old blood. Whether or not CoD fans, who've invested plenty of time into CoD will even leave that game (or any other shooter) is up for debate. Considering how happy they are with just a double jump being added to their core gameplay tho, u'd think they'll be happy playing CoD another 5 years so who knows. 

3. Halo sells mostly due to the amazing campaign. I don't get why they change the multiplayer when they only people buying for the multiplayer these days is the old school Halo fans who don't want the updated stuff. You'd think they would just go hard as hell with campaign and stick some vintage MP on the side for the people who actually still care. If this whole plan works tho i'll eat my words. (altho I said from the start H5 will be a balanced version of H4...not of this came as a shock to me)

4. I'll give it a fair shake. I used to DJ. Regardless of how much I liked vinyl, or how much better it was than digital in many ways, you have to move with the world as it evolves. I'll have my old Halo experience again, and I love 343 for giving me that. I'm gonna try to be more open to all this new crap I disagree with in Halo because now if I don't like it, get sick of it, or just need a break from it, i'll have my H1/H2/H3 experience, and it'll be even better than before from a technical standpoint.

5. This is probably smart from 343s standpoint. If you don't like Halo 5 you'll go buy and play MCC. If you like Halo 5 you'll buy and play Halo 5. If people develop a tournament scene for classic Halo on top of sanctioned HCS tournaments, it'll all promote itself and help drive the Halo brand more. 

Had more points but I forgot the rest. BTW as I type this i'm watching someone play Quake with 300 viewers. Probably more than all of old school Halo combined. MCC however has more viewers. Again, they brought our old experience to the new generation somewhat, and made it kinda relevant again. They did kinda sorta give us what we wanted, but not exactly lol. 

Outstanding response and probably the closest to reality.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Someone start a kickstarter for a H2/HCE tournament with a 10K prize pool.  I really want to know how many people would actually support it.  Let's see if we can hit this 137,000 viewer count that so many people have dreams about    :kappa:

• Downvote (-1) 1