CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Smash is huge to who exactly?  They have like 10K tournies lmao... I wouldn't call that HUGEEEEEE.

20-30k on thier big tournaments.

100k at evo.

Its not huge compared to esports but it is quite huge for the fgc is you want to include them in it

haloisdeadads21ds80.gif

Holy shit.

So is this cod style ads, or simply a reskin of the BRs zoom? Because if it's a reskin, what's the point?

I'm praying that the ADS is just aesthetic and it's just the BR scope.

If it isn't? Not even going to touch the multiplayer. I'm just in a state of disbelief at the moment. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Wasn't there a poster claming to eat a hat/sock on stream if H5 has ADS?

Reveal yourself!

Oh fuck I think that was me.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I woke up to this leak, someone please pinch me. This really cant be happening.

Oh fuck I think that was me.

:ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

Smash is huge to who exactly?  They have like 10K tournies lmao... I wouldn't call that HUGEEEEEE.

Huge to anyone with insight to fighting game tournaments.

They had 970 entrants at Evo this year.  They're close to competing with Street Fighter 4 and UMvC3 for the most popular fighting game.  

Insanely impressive for a game that is 6 days younger than Halo 1 that was almost completely dead years ago.  They brought it back to a massively popular level by themselves.

• Upvote (+1) 5

20-30k on thier big tournaments.

100k at evo.

Its not huge compared to esports but it is quite huge for the fgc is you want to include them in it

100K at Evo for Smash???  Please link me where 100K was given out for SMASH because I have a whole different figure.

It should be considered illegal to lead people on in such a insufferable rage when they know the truth.

Can ANYBODY who's fucking played it just grow a pair of nuts and tell us what's up?!

As much as I would want to know the truth now, I wouldn't expect someone to break a non-disclosure agreement with Microsoft. We will know for certain by tomorrow night.

The most sickening thing about this is 343 is obviously going to support Halo 5 as the competitive title, which means the pros are going to be forced to play this garbage

I hope so much that the teams that get to play in this exhibition or whatever play for about 30 seconds before saying "what the fuck is this shit", drop the controllers and walk out. Maybe that would make a statement.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo Community: We Ba...

343: anigif_enhanced-buzz-8733-1360605648-3.g

There he is! I've been wondering when you would join the festivities! Come join me on the depression couch. I have cookies.

When you have ADS/Sprint, it changes the entire ebb and flow of the combat. Where before you had "Run and Gun" characteristics, now you have "Run or Gun" flow, where people are either slowing/stopping to shoot through iron sights or then engaging sprint to get out of dodge.

Except, unless there's bloom, you don't have to scope in to shoot accurately. Fuck, the BR reticle looks more accurate than ever. So that completely dismantles the core of this argument. It definitely applies to sprint, and it also applies to CoD's ADS, but it doesn't apply to ADS here. This guy must have watched the clip about once and not noticed the fact that the BR is fully accurate unscoped.

Anyone feel like telling me how I'm wrong and this doesn't work for Halo?

Frank O'Conner on why Halo doesn't have iron sights

The main reason, according to 343 Industries' Frank O'Connor, comes down to the game's pace. "Halo has these slightly longer, more strategic encounters," he told AusGamers in an interview. "I think if I was playing Call of Duty for example, and a good player got the drop on me -- came up behind me -- I’m dead. There’s nothing I can do about it, not a chance.

"Halo has a different pace in encounters and if a good player comes up behind me and starts shooting, I’ve got a small chance of turning that encounter around. I’ll probably still get killed because I’m pretty bad, but it does have a different pace and it does have a bigger sandbox and I think that’s what makes Halo Halo."
"When you think about aiming down sights or iron-sights, you’re kind of talking about a bullet-point on a list of design features and that in and of itself is fine, but you kind of want to think about the entire experience: 'What is an entire encounter like?'" adds 343's Chad Armstrong. "With Halo, you tend to get recognisable pacing and something like iron-sights can have a dramatic affect on what that pacing is."
So there you have it. While it doesn't look as though you'll be lining up shots by looking down your pistol's barrel, at least you know why it isn't happening.

Also they are completely ruining years worth of lore with how the Spartan HUD works. The reason there was no iron sights was because they had gloves as part of the suit that would detect each weapon a Spartan held. Allowing a unique reticule to be displayed through the HUD. They did not need to "aim down sights" because they had advanced past that 19th Century technology. Do people realize that we already have this HUD style capability today with futuristic weapons? Acting like we need iron sights in 26th Century is crazy.

Unlike other people I really don't care about Sprint. I don't really want it, but I also don't think it is a crippling as every says. If it wasn't possible to make a good game with sprint then basically every game in the past 10 years sucks...well maybe I just made the argument for no sprint right there. :)

Iron Sights is a HUGE deal to me. I remember reviewers calling for it when halo 4 released and it made me so angry. I HATE iron sights. It belongs in WWII CoD games, not futuristic arena shooters. I was actually all ready to go out and buy an XB1 for MCC. Part of the reason for that was HOPE. HOPE that Halo was going to be good again with a real population of players. HOPE for the future. If Halo 5 has iron sights then I'm out. I won't be buying an XB1 because even though I do want to play MCC I won't reward people for effectively lying to fans about returning to their roots. I'm not putting that much money up to play MCC and then nothing else.

• Upvote (+1) 2

100K at Evo for Smash???  Please link me where 100K was given out for SMASH because I have a whole different figure.

I understand your skepticism, but at one point, Smash was in worse shape than Halo was after we got AGL Bradded up.

Smash did pull 100k+ viewers at EVO assuming that's what he meant. There are WEEKLY tournaments for it now, and it's one of the bigger games on Twitch for sure.

People don't so much do it for the prize pools than for pride. If it was all about the cash, it would have died out a long time ago.

EDIT: Speaking of cash, that might be the reason HCS is happening at all. Because 343 acknowledges that Halo 5 will not be on par to the original games' competitive standard, so cash is used to lure people in...

EDIT 2: I stand corrected about the prize pool.

There he is! I've been wondering when you would join the festivities! Come join me on the depression couch. I have cookies.

can't eat...i'm sick to my stomach right now

• Upvote (+1) 2

Evo 2013 was 94k prize pool for smash.

• Upvote (+1) 1